Start by marking “The Whole Truth” as Want to Read:
The Whole Truth

The Whole Truth (Marie Lightfoot #1)

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  508 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
"Nancy Pickard pushes at the presumed limits of [crime fiction]" said the Los Angeles Times Book Review, praising the award-winning creator of the Jenny Cain mysteries. Now, Pickard blurs the line between fiction and reality in a novel of gripping intensity, and premieres a superb new heroine: true-crime author Marie Lightfoot. For her next surefire bestseller, Marie is co ...more
Published March 1st 2000 by Atria Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Whole Truth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Whole Truth

April Hochstrasser
Beth
Apr 10, 2012 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I'm a big fan of Nancy's recent standalone novels, The Virgin of Small Plains and The Scent of Rain and Lightning, but I hadn't read this three-book series. After finishing this first one, I immediately put the next two on my to-read list. Nancy is a master at creating suspense and telling an interesting story.
LJ
The Whole Truth - Ex
Nancy Pickard - Standalone
Award-winning mystery author Pickard begins a new series featuring true-crime writer Marie Lightfoot. While covering a murder trial, Lightfoot feels that something is wrong with the apparently open-and-shut case. Her search for the truth leads her to the killer's strange world and a number of unresolved crimes affecting his family. Gathering this information also makes her face ethical issues about her work and its impact on all who are involved with
David
Nov 16, 2014 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nancy Pickard uses a literary device that bumps this mystery up a notch in my estimation. Cleverly, Pickard uses the background work of a TRUE CRIME writer, working on a book about a terrible crime, when the just convicted killer escapes from custody. Then she mixes in excerpts of the authors supposed book that provides deeper insight into the material. Those excerpts make this novel shine brightly as Pickard manages to successfully and expertly imitate the style of the true crime writer. I don' ...more
Farshana Sihab
May 16, 2015 Farshana Sihab rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: open-lib
I absolutely loved how the author made me feel sorry for the murderer of a little girl.It was really a delight to find the story weaving thru so many layers and exploding brilliantly towards the end!
I would definitely love to explore more books by this author.
Jennifer W
I read and loved her book The Virgin of Small Plains. I read and enjoyed The Scent of Rain and Lightning. This one, eh. I feel like I picked up a book in the middle of a series instead of at the beginning. I didn't get a sense of who Marie was, and there were mentions of other events outside of this book that made me feel like I should know more than I do ("I went to Miami for another book I wrote" etc...). I also didn't like picking up the murder investigation at the end, or what is usually the ...more
Carolyn (in SC) C234D
I recently read another book by this writer, and I didn't particularly care for it. I had remembered reading another of her books a while ago, and had liked it. Today by chance I found a record of what I read in 2005, and was happy to find the title I had been searching for. I really don't remember any detail, but at the time I noted that this was a good novel about a true crime writer in Florida, who was doing a book about a guy who killed a 6-year-old deaf girl. She is at his trial, and he esc ...more
Kyla
Jun 27, 2009 Kyla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really just picked this book off the library shelf because I read another book by Pickard (The Virgin of Small Plains) that I absolutely loved. However, when I started reading The Whole Truth, I was kind of bored and it took me over a week to pick it back up and read more than a few pages at a time. BUT, then around p140, the plot REALLY picks up. I couldn't put it down after that and finished it up in one sitting. It took a while to get there, but I ended up really enjoying the book. There wa ...more
Judi
May 19, 2015 Judi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nancy Pickard doesn't disappoint.
Her writing is terrific, and her characters are believable.
Tiffany
Aug 16, 2014 Tiffany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, it ended with a twist I totally was not expecting. Even better, a nail biter that will be continued in her next book!
Gail Long
Oct 31, 2011 Gail Long rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
As Raymond Raintree stands flanked by Florida lawyers, waiting to be convicted for the murder of Natalie Mae McCullen, writer Marie Lightfoot takes it all in. No one knows where Raintree took Natalie after he abducted her and Marie intends to find out. But when Raymond escapes, Marie becomes a sitting duck for a killer evil enough to take her to hell before killing her. A very fast read and as usual, Nancy Pickard keeps your attention to the last page.
Brian Maicke
May 25, 2009 Brian Maicke rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
The first in a series with Marie Lightfoot, a true crime reporter/writer, as the narrator. I was a bit put off by the decision to alternate chapters from the present story to her 'book'. It wasn't that the change in time frame, but rather the newspaper feel that the early 'book' chapters had that put me off. As the story progresses those chapters lost their aloofness as the author became more involved with the story, and the second half was better for it.
Cat.
Aug 25, 2012 Cat. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction
Quite a change from her usual series, this one is about a child killer in Florida who escapes just after he's found guilty. The story is told from the point of view of an Edna Buchanan-type true-crime writer in the midst of writing "the" book on this case. The whole story turns out to be a lot more complicated than just a "monster" senselessly murdering a little girl. It explores where these "monsters" come from. Really good.
Michelle
Dec 09, 2013 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A story about a story, well done in an intruiging manner. Despite a challenging subject who frustrates everyone, Marie still manages to pull more of the.whole truth together than.anyone else. nice tight writing. looking.forward to.her.other books that other reviewers liked more than this.one.
Elizabeth
Sep 17, 2008 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good mystery. Kept me guessing for a long time. This author is a really neat person and I like her writing. She came to my book club last Spring. She lives in Kansas and tries to work a little of it most of her books. This one was Olathe.
Janel
Great murder mystery about a true crime author and her involvement with the characters helping her bring the case to a heart warming yet painful end. I would recommend this book firm a quick read!
Candy
Jul 28, 2009 Candy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting treatment - true crime writer tries to find out what led the killer to murder a 6 year-old girl.

I liked how she alternated chapters from her "book" and the investigation.
Kerry
Dec 15, 2008 Kerry rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Interesting set up, the book about a book. Like reading two books concurrently that are intertwined. Anyway, really took off in the last 100 pages, the set up was a bit slow moving...
Jodie
I think I read this when it first came out--but I'm too lazy to look it up! I did read it then, but I only barely remembered the plot--so it was a good read all over again.
Dayna Hauschild
Dec 24, 2013 Dayna Hauschild rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cliff hanger until the very end! Love how this woman weaves a mystery together! If you love mysteries, this is a must read! Cannot wait until I read another one of her books.
Ruth
Apr 19, 2010 Ruth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, series
True crime writer tells of efforts to finish book on a mysterious young man accused of kidnapping and killing a 6 year old deaf girl. Interesting read well written.
Jayme
Part 1 of 3, True Crime writer, Marie Lightfoot is covering a crime, and the book alternates between the present day, and her book..read all three, and her others!
Katherine
This book definitely picked up towards the end but I was a little disappointed after reading a few of her other books that were so wonderful.
Melissa Kayden
Jan 18, 2012 Melissa Kayden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book that kept you guessing the whole way through. Glad i stumbled on another Pickard book, what a great author.
Kathy
Apr 19, 2011 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. It was very interesting to read. I will look forward to reading more books by Nancy Pickard.
Kimberly
Dec 16, 2009 Kimberly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pickard does an amazing job looking at a crime from different viewpoints. It's truly thought-provoking.
Jenny
Jul 19, 2012 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-crime, kindle
Enjoyable mystery, with a few surprises. This was much better than The Virgin of the Small Plains.
Debra
Jan 27, 2011 Debra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are a suspense fan, this is really good. It really had a nice human touch as well.
Kate
Sep 19, 2010 Kate rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Pickard just seemed like a Picoult wannabe in this book. Two stars seems generous.
Aug 27, 2012 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I liked the idea of this book (a novel within a novel) more than the book itself.
  • Edited for Death (Amy Hobbes #1)
  • On the Ropes (The Duffy Dombrowski Mysteries, #1)
  • Simon Said (Professor Simon Shaw, #1)
  • Terminal Ambition, A Maggie Mahoney Novel
  • The Devil's Hearth (Fever Devilin, #1)
  • City Of Fire (Lena Gamble, #1)
  • An Appointment with Murder (Sarah Woods Mystery, #1)
  • Next Move, You're Dead (Next Move, You're Dead, #1)
  • Absolution (Frank Renzi, #1)
  • Remembering Blue
  • Deceptive Cadence (The Virtuosic Spy, #1)
  • Offshore
  • Bangkok Burn
  • Red Sky at Night (Thorn, #6)
  • Superbia (Superbia #1)
  • Bad Thoughts (Bill Shannon, #1)
  • Past Imperfect: A John McIntire Mystery
  • Safe Harbor ( A Pat Tierney Mystery, #1)
(from Wikipedia)

Nancy Pickard (born 1945) is a US crime novelist. She has won five Macavity Awards, four Agatha Awards, an Anthony Award, and a Shamus Award. She is the only author to win all four awards. She also served on the board of directors of the Mystery Writers of America. She received a degree in journalism from the University of Missouri in Columbia, Missouri and began writing at age 35.
More about Nancy Pickard...

Marie Lightfoot (3 books)
  • Ring of Truth (Marie Lightfoot, #2)
  • The Truth Hurts (Marie Lightfoot, #3)