Backstop: A Baseball Love Story in Nine Innings

Backstop: A Baseball Love Story in Nine Innings

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  18 ratings  ·  5 reviews
You know Backstop. He plays for any team in any city in America with a major league ball club. You cheer him when he delivers, and boo him when he doesn’t. In what could be his last game after 14 years in the major leagues—the seventh game of the World Series—Backstop chronicles his rookie season, takes the reader to Chicago where he finds romance, and reveals the heartbre...more
Published December 31st 2009 by Second Wind Publishing, LLC (first published December 30th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Backstop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Backstop

When Pigs Fly by Bob SanchezThe Steward by Christopher  ShieldsLittle Mountain by Bob SanchezGetting Lucky by Bob SanchezDivorce Hotel by B.R.  Snow
Best Indie Books to Read in 2012
19th out of 960 books — 1,188 voters
The Steward by Christopher  ShieldsAngelfall by Susan EeThe Nightlife by Travis LuedkeFables of the Reconstruction by Hunter S. JonesIn My Dreams by Cameo Renae
Best Unknown but must be Known books
74th out of 4,535 books — 3,917 voters

More lists with this book...

Erma Odrach
Backstop plays for the Detroit Tigers, and to say he is passionate about baseball is an understatement. He doesn’t see the players as “sweaty athletes mostly brawn with little between the ears”; on the contrary, he sees baseball as something intricate and artistic, even poetic. He says, “… the balance, the shifting of weight and rotation of hips, the extension of arms … it’s all poetry in motion.”

Forever haunted by his disapproving late father, this lover of baseball, and lover of poetry one da...more
Sheila
I’m not really into sports, but the cover of J. Conrad Guest’s novel, Backstop, has a woman’s hand holding the ball and promises A Baseball Love Story in Nine Innings. So I learn there are nine innings in a baseball game.

I grew up English so I started this novel knowing very little about baseball—it includes a bat, a ball, and the need to run, but it’s not cricket. Still, the narrator, Backstop, describes his sport and his life in this book in a way that makes me care about him and the game. Som...more
Dellani Oakes
Dec 03, 2011 Dellani Oakes rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Backstop – A Baseball Love Story in Nine Innings by J. Conrad Guest, is a unique novel. Told in first person by the catcher, or backstop, of the Detroit Tigers, it chronicles his career from rookie to career's end.
Backstop, as everyone calls him, is an interesting man who breaks the jock mold. Hardly dumb, he continually surprises the reader with his intuitive insights and literary interests.
Darlene, the woman who wins Backstop's heart, is also an interesting character. Hurt by a bad relationsh...more
J.
Jun 24, 2011 J. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
"Baseball, like love, is a game of errors and regrets. Pop-outs, ground-outs, strike-outs. A bad swing, a bad throw, a bad hop. But what captivates us most is the possibility of the next at-bat, of the chance for a rally, of an unlikely clutch play that suddenly changes the stakes. This is where J. Conrad Guest meets us in Backstop: in this beautiful, hopeful place closest to our hearts, where we play for the love of the game, and we love with everything we have.”

—Rachael Perry, author of How to...more
Tom
Backstop is a fictional catcher for the Detroit Tigers who is an amazingly good person. Off the field, he is everything that his childhood role model, Ty Cobb, was not. Sort of an An-Ty Cobb, if you will. Yet despite all this, one moment of failure may cost him everything he loves.
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Ananya Roy
Ananya Roy marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
Joe Chapman
Joe Chapman marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2013
April
April marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Annette Fitzgerald
Annette Fitzgerald marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2013
Belphegoris
Belphegoris marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2013
Amanda Kruckenberg
Amanda Kruckenberg marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2013
Kendra
Kendra marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2013
Tema
Tema marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2013
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2013
puneet
puneet marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2013
Olivia
Olivia marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2013
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2013
Cavid
Cavid marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2013
Georgina
Georgina marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2013
Elizabeth Towns
Elizabeth Towns marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2013
Jack
Jack marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2013
Shavauna
Shavauna marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2012
Anastasia
Anastasia marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2012
Genevieve Dewey
Genevieve Dewey marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Second Wind Publi...: * Book Discussion -- BACKSTOP by J. Conrad Guest 1 1 Sep 22, 2013 02:33PM
J. Conrad Guest's first novel, January’s Paradigm, was published in 1998. Current Entertainment Monthly in Ann Arbor, Michigan, wrote of January’s Paradigm, “(readers) will not be able to put it down.” Two other novels based on the Joe January character, One Hot January and January’s Thaw, are available.

Backstop: A Baseball Love Story in Nine Innings is now available from Second Wind Publishing. I...more
More about J. Conrad Guest...
One Hot January The Cobb Legacy The Cobb Legacy January's Thaw 500 Miles to Go