Start by marking “Fiasco” as Want to Read:
Fiasco

Fiasco

THINGS CAN GO WRONG, FAST...

...Maybe some dude from youth group talked you into boosting a case of motor oil, but now your cousin is dead in a swamp and you killed him. Maybe you and your girlfriend figured you could scare your wife into a divorce, but things went pear-shaped and now a gang of cranked-up Mexicans with latex gloves and a pit bull are looking for you.

It seem
Published December 21st 2009 by Bully Pulpit Games (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Fiasco, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fiasco

Harold Ogle
May 30, 2013 Harold Ogle rated it it was amazing
The term "role-playing game" carries a lot of baggage with it, ultimately because the role-playing games that most people have experienced are either frameworks for telling fantastical adventure stories, or are games (like video games) based on such frameworks. Fiasco is, in some respects, the most role-playing oriented role-playing game I've ever seen, even though it lacks most of the things that have become essentially synonymous with the term. For instance, it doesn't have character sheets, l ...more
Peter
Feb 18, 2013 Peter rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Sometimes it is a chore to work your way through a rpg rulebook, but the rules for Fiasco by Jason Morningstar were a delight to read. Every segment starts with a quote taken from some 'fiasco'movie.
The layout and artwork add to the overal feel of this book.

I've heard fiasco decribed as "coen brothers: the rpg" and that is what you get. The idea is that the players create a story that devolves to misery. think movies like "Uturn"or "the way of the gun". seems like an interessting game and I can'
John
Nov 07, 2012 John rated it it was amazing
Shelves: role-playing, gaming
Some interesting ideas here for a storyteller game, but maybe not enough "game" to really grab my interest. Still, I plan on giving it a play at some point.

Update: This is pretty much my "go-to" game when I want to play a pick-up RPG. An awesome game that offers just enough structure to get things started and keep things moving.
Peter
Nov 10, 2015 Peter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
on second read through this is even funnier and more promising then i remembered. on saturday we will try it out.
Bob Hanks
Feb 17, 2011 Bob Hanks rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gaming
SO impressive I am lost for words ,got me interested in gaming again which
I am very thankfull for.
Stuart
At the very end of the book Jason Morningstar talks about the true purpose of the game--the relinquishing of central authority/the sharing of narrative authority among all players.

He should have put that blurb up front.

The game, when viewed through that lens, makes much more sense--the careful steps of the setup, the round-robining of turns, the reliance on group consensus in assigning die. Without knowing the guiding principle in advance, the rules can feel a little muddled until you get throug
Zach Lorton
Jul 21, 2015 Zach Lorton rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Roleplayers, thespians, comedians, actors, improv comics
Recommended to Zach by: TableTop podcast starring Wil Wheaton
This is a game for roleplaying gamers. You're not going to find a good story here, but you will find the tools for MAKING a good story.

You'll also find you need to get some dice. Do yourself a favor and get some. You'll need it.

Fiasco is one of the more elegantly simple RPGs I've come across, because its emphasis is on storytelling and collaboration. It's a great way to get people involved in creating a story and acting it out, because everyone has a hand in creating the characters, motivations,
Jake
Jun 23, 2016 Jake rated it liked it
This role-playing game is a stark contrast to Golden Sky Stories (see my review for that game). While both are rules-light storytelling games, that is where the similarity ends. Specifically violent and for adults only, the object of this game is bring everyone to a darkly humorous, well-deserved bad end, but to have a good time doing it. A successful play of this game would be like ad-libbing your way through a Coen brothers movie, which I have seen done on Wil Wheaton's TableTop. Our group, be ...more
Moe
Jul 27, 2014 Moe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Today while celebrating Read an RPG in Public weeks I finished off Fiasco by Jason Morningstar. Based on what I had seen before I had convinced myself that this was more of an improve theater experiment rather than a role playing game. Now having read it I see there's more game there than I was lead to believe.

The rules seem clear enough but I think I would rather try this with an experienced moderator first. I expected more from the Replay in the back, like, well an actual replay, not just a v
J. Danielle Dorn
Jan 26, 2012 J. Danielle Dorn rated it it was amazing
THIS LOOKS LIKE SO MUCH FUN

I'm used to playing games that are heavily reliant on some sort of GM influence and have complicated mechanics. This you could get a group of nerds to understand and play in about as much time as it would take to sit and watch an entire movie, and the fact that there is a heavy amount of craziness and high potential for horrible death just makes it all the more enticing for me.

Beaucoup kudos to Morningstar for distilling what's phenomenal about shit-hitting-the-fan cin
Nicolas Ronvel
Une lecture que j'attendais depuis plusieurs mois, une nouvelle façon d'envisager le jeu de rôle, et surtout des inspirations qui me plaisent énormément (Intolérable Cruauté, Fargo, Burn After Reading, Snatch, ...).

La lecture a été très agréable, rapide, malgré pas mal de répétitions qui ralentissent un peu la compréhension. Le jeu est très bien expliqué, et les Cadres proposés sont alléchants. Des gratuits proposés sur le site de l'éditeur me font également envie.

Il va maintenant me falloir con
Christopher
Jul 14, 2013 Christopher rated it it was amazing
I've been gaming for fifteen years. I've played good games and bad. I thought I've seen it all. You want to do stuff? Roll some dice. Want to attack someone? Roll some dice.
This was my first real taste of an exceedingly non typical tole playing game. It is a neat team up of two of my favorite things. Movies and RPGs.The modern Noir feel of the game is one of the reasons that drew me to the game.The fact that no one person is in charge, but the entire group cooperating to create the best game is
Michael Burnam-Fink
Jul 18, 2012 Michael Burnam-Fink rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rpg, 2012
Simply an amazing game. Fiasco emulates the kinds of movies where hapless people engage in criminal misadventures that invariable hilariously and tragically fall apart with elegance and grace. The system is a paragon of rules-light mechanics, avoiding task resolution nearly entirely in favor of getting the group to generate a fascinating and bizarre cast of characters, and having them stumble towards catastrophe. Both readable and playable, Fiasco is on of the best indie RPGs I've played.
Matt
Apr 21, 2015 Matt rated it really liked it
Not for those who thoroughly enjoy all the prep and post work of most RPGs.

You won't find chapter after chapter of "how to create the best character ever" or "how to create the best adventure ever". Namely, it gets rid of all the stuff you would do alone.

This is a relational game and offers and as such it is enjoyed most when others are there to enjoy it with you.

Well written and inspiring.
Barry
Nov 27, 2014 Barry rated it liked it
Shelves: roleplay
Pretty much fascinated with this game at the moment. It's a collaborative GM-less rpg with a nod to fiasco or caper type movies. I've not played it yet but would love to get a game of this on. There's not much to the book itself as the game is rules-lite although it's brevity is not a criticism. The style of the book is engaging, the rules simple to follow and the whole game concept is excellent. Great product.
Ramón Nogueras Pérez
Apr 08, 2013 Ramón Nogueras Pérez rated it liked it
Shelves: rpg
Es un no-juego de rol que pretende y consigue emular las pelis estilo Fargo, Quemar después de leer, Sangre fácil y ese género de pobres desgraciados que tratan de dar el golpe y todo sale mal. No tengo nada en contra, y de hecho algunas de sus ideas son explotables para otros juegos de rol (por ejemplo, el sistema para crear relaciones entre los personajes es genial). Simplemente, me gusta ver pelis sobre ese tipo de historias, pero no tengo el menor interés en jugarlas.
Daniel
Sep 20, 2014 Daniel rated it it was amazing
Wow, I just finished reading this game. Make no mistake, for this is not standard rpg fare. This game is brutal and enjoyable and very unique. As a 48 year old GamerI have played and run a lot of games. This is a new take on the old "things go all to hell" books and movies like Fargo and Blood Simple. It is fresh and modern and is dark and sexy. Amazing game! Myself and my group are going to play this one very soon. We have to! It has to happen! lol
Jason
Jul 14, 2016 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got the game originally as a gift for Christmas of 2009 or 2010 and read it immediately, but had no one to play it with. Reread it and read up on it in November, determined to drum up some friends to play. It was everything I hoped.

The game itself is fantastic and the book presents everything clearly, with great examples and with great style. It's fun to read even if you aren't jumping right into a game.
Pierre-emmanuel
Apr 20, 2012 Pierre-emmanuel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jeu-de-rôle
Très (très) bon jeu qui offre la possibilité de créer une histoire à la "sauce frères Cohen" et cela en autant de temps qu'un vrai film. Tout est fait pour poser rapidement les éléments qui ne manqueront pas d'entraîner les personnages dans les pires des situations. Une mécanique simple sert tout cela avec délice.
Ajoutons aussi une petite note pour souligner la qualité graphique de ce livre.
Christopher
Apr 23, 2012 Christopher rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gaming
If you like rule-light, indie-style roleplaying games then this is a big win. There's no storyteller/GM/Dungeon Master so you just grab a playset and go. It's not a lazy imagination game, however, so bring your wit, improv skills and flexible mindset. Because of the light mechanics and intuitive play style, Fiasco makes a great intro to the obscure but awesome table-top roleplaying game hobby.
Robbie
Aug 22, 2013 Robbie rated it it was amazing
Jason Morningstar gets it. This is a GM-less roleplaying game stylized after Coen Brothers movies, but the clear command Morningstar has over storytelling was enough to make me pick up the companion, which is also worth a read. These are good tools for any writer to have to remind them some good lessons in pacing, generating conflict, and balancing characters.
John
Mar 04, 2011 John rated it really liked it
Shelves: gaming, non-fiction, ebook
An excellent indie game, although strictly for one-shots. Explicitly story-oriented and cinematic, so may not be well suited to folks looking for a more traditional RPG experience. But this is probably my favorite indie game at this point; I enjoy it more each time I play.

If you're checking it out, make sure to find all the additional scenarios published for free (as PDFs).
Alison
May 14, 2013 Alison rated it really liked it
Guys, I love this game and think the rules are even a fun read, which is cool! I've mentioned that I think maybe I should make it my goal to see all the movies quoted in the book. Looks like there are some gems.
Tim Moore
Nov 28, 2011 Tim Moore rated it it was amazing
Shelves: games
This is an amazing game. I would encourage anyone that has enjoyed pretending to be someone else to take the time and give this storytelling game a try. It's a little improve, a little role-play, and a whole lot of silliness.

Brian
Jan 17, 2013 Brian rated it liked it
Shelves: in-full
Three stars based solely on the quality of this game's book and how well I anticipate it lending itself to some enjoyable story-based roleplaying. An updated rating and full review will follow once I've had the chance to play with some friends. I'm expecting the rating to go up...
N. Eric
Apr 02, 2012 N. Eric rated it it was amazing
Really freeform. Moreso that Prime Time Adventures. Gets you to be a kid again and use your imagination. Also is a great game for actors. Plus, stuff goes massively wrong. Who doesn't love a good tragedy... even if its yours.
Nick Douglas
Jan 04, 2015 Nick Douglas rated it really liked it
Kind of a cheat posting this as a book. It's a guidebook to a tabletop RPG I'm excited to play. Thank you Tim Mucci for buying me this!
Carl Klutzke
May 04, 2014 Carl Klutzke rated it liked it
I prefer my roleplaying cooperative rather than confrontational, but I've had some great laughs playing this game.
Sarah O'brien
Mar 13, 2015 Sarah O'brien rated it liked it
Shelves: gaming
You need a really solid group who can think on their feet to run this system right-- but if you've got it, Fiasco is ridiculous fun.
Ceef
Apr 09, 2013 Ceef rated it it was amazing
Clever, well-written rules.

After one play, I'd say that Morningstar has a winner on his hands. A fun, relatively freeform roleplaying experience. Can't wait to play again.
  • Apocalypse World
  • Fate Accelerated
  • Marvel Heroic Roleplaying Basic Game
  • Savage Worlds Explorer's Edition
  • Dungeon World
  • Trail of Cthulhu (Trail of Cthulhu RPG)
  • Unknown Armies
  • Delta Green (Call of Cthulhu RPG)
  • Exalted
  • Changeling: The Lost
  • Star Wars Roleplaying Game Saga Edition Core Rulebook (Star Wars RPG D20)
  • The World of Darkness (Main Rulebook)
  • Player's Handbook (Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition)
  • Hamlet's Hit Points