Ending Aging: The Rejuvenation Breakthroughs That Could Reverse Human Aging in Our Lifetime

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  158 ratings  ·  21 reviews
MUST WE AGE?
A long life in a healthy, vigorous, youthful body has always been one of humanity's greatest dreams. Recent progress in genetic manipulations and calorie-restricted diets in laboratory animals hold forth the promise that someday science will enable us to exert total control over our own biological aging.
Nearly all scientists who study the biology of aging agr...more
Published September 4th 2007 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Ending Aging, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ending Aging

Tj Murphy
I had been wondering about the legitimacy of the idea of radical life extension, and was lead to this book. De Gray is a gerontologist - he does basic research into the causes of aging related diseases - and his stated purpose in writing this book is to encourage the public to view aging as a treatable disease rather than an inevitable part of the cycle of life and death.

The book consists of a short moral argument about the immediate importance of researching aging (because it maims and kills h...more
David
read the book, become obsessed with living forever
Juan
Hito en la ciencia del (anti) envejecimiento. No necesariamente una descripción completa. Me explico: aunque lo que hace Aubrey de Grey es abarcar el conjunto de procesos individualizados que dan lugar a lo que globalmente llamamos envejecimiento, su enfoque de manera consciente huye de buscar causas subyacentes o soluciones globales y en su lugar adopta el punto de vista más concreto del ingeniero. Eso tiene al menos dos derivadas: una, que no se mete en demasiadas profundidades, y dos, que de...more
Blubeari
Amazing. The book gets technical at times for light reading, but I appreciate the confidence. Some very exciting ideas in this book!
Beth
The science is fascinating, but de Grey's ego can be a distraction.
Leon M
Die ewige Jugend - ein Thema, wie aus dem Märchenbuch. Doch kein Thema, welches im Märchenbuch bleiben muss, wie Aubrey de Grey in seinem Buch "Niemals alt!" (englische Originalversion: "Ending Aging") schlüssig darlegt.

Das Buch beginnt mit einer Diskussion, worauf der Begriff "Altern" eigentlich abzielt und was konkret den Alterungsprozess ausmacht, wo man also eingreifen könnte, um das Altern zu verhindern. Mit der Analogie zu einem Oldtimer illustriert Grey seinen Ansatz in Bezug auf die Alt...more
Darius
The only certainty is taxes, apparently.

Throughout human history, we have accepted the life of our parents as a template for our own lives. In concious ways, but also in unconcious ways. Like the inevitability of death. But we will be forced to re-evaluate even that, it seems.

This chatty british author fires the first shot over the bow. There will be better authors to cover the subject (Gladwell? Please?), but DeGrey got here first. And he's maybe a bit condescending in how he 'exposes' our "pro...more
Scott
Mar 24, 2008 Scott rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to live forever
My gut feeling is this book is overly optimistic about how easily aging will be overcome in the near future, but as Ray Kurzweil would say human intuition is really bad when it comes to scientific/technological progress. The premise sounds good: don’t try to fix the all the complex metabolic pathways that contribute to aging, that’s near impossible, instead just try to clean up all the toxins and junk that builds up with age, and we will stay youthful. Of course it’s a little more complex than t...more
Greg Linster
I watched Aubrey De Grey give a TED talk about significantly increasing human longevity and became intrigued with his ideas, enough so to buy his book anyway. I read the first 70 pages of his book, but it became a bit more technical than I was looking for. As such, I very quickly skimmed over the remaining chapters and read a just a handful of parts I found particularly interesting.

It's not that this book was bad, but it just wasn't my cup of tea. I plan on keeping it around in case I want to re...more
Zarathustra Goertzel
=D The book describes many various forms of aging and strategies to clean them out or obviate them. I've never really had a biology class, so I found it to be a good primer in that sense too. I've wanted to live forever since I was a kid and never doubted its possibility. So it's very nice to have a general view of how we may actually do this.

One can tell which chapters De Grey knows more about and which he doesn't. The ones he knows the best are far better written.
Maximus McCann
Great overview of upcoming technologies in health. No practical advice offered for age extension though.
Duerguej

'Eureka!' exclaimed the author as he realised we are all like cars and need oiling and maintenance. That's it - but you have to read it. We have to maintain good health and we live AT LEAST until we are 120 (ish) and please stop doing 'the trance' - you are walking aimlessly into age, when all you have to do, is stop doing it, stop your aging habit NOW, or rather, stop believing in age. I love this book. Please read it.
Wintersthrall
Aubrey de Gray has cracked the 7 causes of aging, and in this book takes an engineering approach - we don't need to know how everything in the body works, just how to keep it doing what it's supposed to.

Anyone who wants to know just how far we've come in the war on aging, and how close we really are to ending the scourge of aging and death should read this book.

End the aging trance!
Kerry O'Connor
I'm a big fan of the audacity with which this book grabs on to common sense and doesn't let go. I do not have a degree in molecular bio, but reading this book with Google at your side, you'll do just fine. For those inside the bioinformatics industry, this book may not come as a surprise, but to anyone else, it's got to solicit a 'wow'. For better or for worse.
Bo Blanckenburg
"Give me all your pension money, and I'll make sure you live forever!" Yeah, like we hadn't heard that one before. It's written in a fun way, but as a moleculair biologist I was cringing every other page at inconsistenties and misquotations to plain bas science. Would work as a fictional book, not a scientific one. Have a good laugh, and forget about it.
Joe
Feb 04, 2008 Joe rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Joe by: the author
not beautifully written, but fascinating content: the molecular effects of aging, argument that aging is a problem that should be remedied, strategies for doing so, the science that is in progress to this end, and how to participate. and he's pretty funny (in a dry, brittish way) here and there.
Shannon Vyff
If you don't know much about what science is doing to end aging, or you do--this is a great read. It works for the lay-person, as well as the expert-- the science of ending aging and issues about how society would deal with the various ramifications of ending aging are all addressed
Nic Smith
Ending Aging is at its best when discussing the science behind SENS, and, sadly, weak in its examination of how aging is viewed in society and the difficulty in raising funds for this worthy goal. The call for a "war on aging" is ill-advised in at least its marketing.
Anibal
Eat well, exercise and support the Methuselah Foundation because it is lead by the great anti-aging biotechnologist Aubrey de Grey who has the noble mission to defeat aging with biomedical interventions. And it could be possible in the not so distant future.
Quazi
This is survey of the various factors that contribute to aging, along with descriptions of technologies that could be used to reverse the effects of these factors, is quite accessible, even to those that do not have a background in the life sciences.

Jason M.
An important step.
Nabil Elrafei
Nabil Elrafei marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Ivars Geidans
Ivars Geidans marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Elisabeth
Elisabeth marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Prashanth Jnanendra
Prashanth Jnanendra marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Synapse
Synapse marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Ole J.
Ole J. marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
  • Fantastic Voyage: Live Long Enough to Live Forever
  • Engines of Creation: The Coming Era of Nanotechnology
  • Radical Evolution: The Promise and Peril of Enhancing Our Minds, Our Bodies -- and What It Means to Be Human
  • The New Evolution Diet: What Our Paleolithic Ancestors Can Teach Us about Weight Loss, Fitness, and Aging
  • Our Posthuman Future: Consequences of the Biotechnology Revolution
  • Great Mambo Chicken And The Transhuman Condition: Science Slightly Over The Edge
  • FAB: The Coming Revolution on Your Desktop--from Personal Computers to Personal Fabrication
  • Shadows of the Mind: A Search for the Missing Science of Consciousness
  • Evil: Inside Human Violence and Cruelty
  • A New Kind of Science
  • Long for This World: The Strange Science of Immortality
  • Human: The Science Behind What Makes Us Unique
  • Reinventing Discovery: The New Era of Networked Science
  • The Spectrum: A Scientifically Proven Program to Feel Better, Live Longer, Lose Weight, and Gain Health
  • Regenesis: How Synthetic Biology Will Reinvent Nature and Ourselves
  • The Spark of Life: Electricity in the Human Body
  • The Okinawa Program : How the World's Longest-Lived People Achieve Everlasting Health--And How You Can Too
  • Out of Control: The New Biology of Machines, Social Systems, and the Economic World
The Mitochondrial Free Radical Theory Of Aging (Molecular Biology Intelligence Unit 9) (Molecular Biology Intelligence Unit) This Explains Everything: Deep, Beautiful, and Elegant Theories of How the World Works Medical Implications of Basic Research in Aging Countdown to Immortality