Start by marking “Ending Aging: The Rejuvenation Breakthroughs That Could Reverse Human Aging in Our Lifetime” as Want to Read:

A long life in a healthy, vigorous, youthful body has always been one of humanity's greatest dreams. Recent progress in genetic manipulations and calorie-restricted diets in laboratory animals hold forth the promise that someday science will enable us to exert total control over our own biological aging.
Nearly all scientists who study the biology of aging agr
Published September 4th 2007 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2007)

Tj Murphy
Jan 27, 2009 Tj Murphy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
I had been wondering about the legitimacy of the idea of radical life extension, and was lead to this book. De Gray is a gerontologist - he does basic research into the causes of aging related diseases - and his stated purpose in writing this book is to encourage the public to view aging as a treatable disease rather than an inevitable part of the cycle of life and death.

The book consists of a short moral argument about the immediate importance of researching aging (because it maims and kills h
Jan 01, 2010 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
read the book, become obsessed with living forever
May 11, 2011 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The science is fascinating, but de Grey's ego can be a distraction.
Mar 24, 2008 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to live forever
My gut feeling is this book is overly optimistic about how easily aging will be overcome in the near future, but as Ray Kurzweil would say human intuition is really bad when it comes to scientific/technological progress. The premise sounds good: don’t try to fix the all the complex metabolic pathways that contribute to aging, that’s near impossible, instead just try to clean up all the toxins and junk that builds up with age, and we will stay youthful. Of course it’s a little more complex than t ...more
Jun 25, 2008 Darius rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only certainty is taxes, apparently.

Throughout human history, we have accepted the life of our parents as a template for our own lives. In concious ways, but also in unconcious ways. Like the inevitability of death. But we will be forced to re-evaluate even that, it seems.

This chatty british author fires the first shot over the bow. There will be better authors to cover the subject (Gladwell? Please?), but DeGrey got here first. And he's maybe a bit condescending in how he 'exposes' our "pro
Zarathustra Goertzel
=D The book describes many various forms of aging and strategies to clean them out or obviate them. I've never really had a biology class, so I found it to be a good primer in that sense too. I've wanted to live forever since I was a kid and never doubted its possibility. So it's very nice to have a general view of how we may actually do this.

One can tell which chapters De Grey knows more about and which he doesn't. The ones he knows the best are far better written.
Bo Blanckenburg
"Give me all your pension money, and I'll make sure you live forever!" Yeah, like we hadn't heard that one before. It's written in a fun way, but as a moleculair biologist I was cringing every other page at inconsistenties and misquotations to plain bas science. Would work as a fictional book, not a scientific one. Have a good laugh, and forget about it.
Sep 18, 2011 Katelyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing. The book gets technical at times for light reading, but I appreciate the confidence. Some very exciting ideas in this book!
Leon M
Mar 18, 2011 Leon M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Die ewige Jugend - ein Thema, wie aus dem Märchenbuch. Doch kein Thema, welches im Märchenbuch bleiben muss, wie Aubrey de Grey in seinem Buch "Niemals alt!" (englische Originalversion: "Ending Aging") schlüssig darlegt.

Das Buch beginnt mit einer Diskussion, worauf der Begriff "Altern" eigentlich abzielt und was konkret den Alterungsprozess ausmacht, wo man also eingreifen könnte, um das Altern zu verhindern. Mit der Analogie zu einem Oldtimer illustriert Grey seinen Ansatz in Bezug auf die Alt
Hito en la ciencia del (anti) envejecimiento. No necesariamente una descripción completa. Me explico: aunque lo que hace Aubrey de Grey es abarcar el conjunto de procesos individualizados que dan lugar a lo que globalmente llamamos envejecimiento, su enfoque de manera consciente huye de buscar causas subyacentes o soluciones globales y en su lugar adopta el punto de vista más concreto del ingeniero. Eso tiene al menos dos derivadas: una, que no se mete en demasiadas profundidades, y dos, que de ...more
Greg Linster
I watched Aubrey De Grey give a TED talk about significantly increasing human longevity and became intrigued with his ideas, enough so to buy his book anyway. I read the first 70 pages of his book, but it became a bit more technical than I was looking for. As such, I very quickly skimmed over the remaining chapters and read a just a handful of parts I found particularly interesting.

It's not that this book was bad, but it just wasn't my cup of tea. I plan on keeping it around in case I want to re
Mar 25, 2016 Slobodan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
Want to live an indefinite longer life without the decrepant symptoms that plague the elderly? Read this book by Aubrey de Grey and follow his work as he tries to battle the pro-death stance humanity seems to be hypnotized by. The book can be a bit technical to those outside the bio-gerontology field, but Aubrey does a decent job of simplifying the wording for the average layman about a revolutionary new frontier in science that many a decade ago were discounting as the fables of a madman!

David Oren
Apr 05, 2015 David Oren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had a hard time understanding from the author's TED talk about specific ways to stop aging. However he did explain his attitude
and the problem, mainly that there are 7 factors that cause aging and he showed a solution for each of them and the current progress to attain it.
The big challenge is of course implementing the solution without fucking up something else in the super sensitive human body lol. But after reading this book I feel more certain that's it's possible and closer than we relize.
Jaroslav Tuček
Mar 19, 2016 Jaroslav Tuček rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating overview of the causes of aging for the lay-person (although having a basic understanding of cell and molecular biology would not hurt when reading the book). I am not qualified to judge the complexity of what de Grey proposes, but I get a feeling he severely underestimates both the difficulty and the time requirements. It's an excusable flaw, and he certainly wouldn't be the first scientist to be guilty of such optimism. On the bright side, that same optimism makes for a lively read ...more
Omar Gatti
Feb 19, 2015 Omar Gatti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever thought that life is to short?

That after 60 years it becomes more and more miserable because our body is less and less able to keep us healthy?

The authors of "Ending Aging" think it as well and they can show you why you could be lucky enough to defeat your Aging and enjoy life for hundreds or thousands of years.

It seems science fiction, doesn't it?

It is not, it's based on science, where there's zero space for no sense.

Read Ending Aging & you'll get it.
Mar 04, 2012 Duerguej rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

'Eureka!' exclaimed the author as he realised we are all like cars and need oiling and maintenance. That's it - but you have to read it. We have to maintain good health and we live AT LEAST until we are 120 (ish) and please stop doing 'the trance' - you are walking aimlessly into age, when all you have to do, is stop doing it, stop your aging habit NOW, or rather, stop believing in age. I love this book. Please read it.
Oct 10, 2008 Wintersthrall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aubrey de Gray has cracked the 7 causes of aging, and in this book takes an engineering approach - we don't need to know how everything in the body works, just how to keep it doing what it's supposed to.

Anyone who wants to know just how far we've come in the war on aging, and how close we really are to ending the scourge of aging and death should read this book.

End the aging trance!
Feb 04, 2008 Joe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Joe by: the author
not beautifully written, but fascinating content: the molecular effects of aging, argument that aging is a problem that should be remedied, strategies for doing so, the science that is in progress to this end, and how to participate. and he's pretty funny (in a dry, brittish way) here and there.
Mar 29, 2009 Quazi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is survey of the various factors that contribute to aging, along with descriptions of technologies that could be used to reverse the effects of these factors, is quite accessible, even to those that do not have a background in the life sciences.

Shannon Vyff
Mar 14, 2008 Shannon Vyff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you don't know much about what science is doing to end aging, or you do--this is a great read. It works for the lay-person, as well as the expert-- the science of ending aging and issues about how society would deal with the various ramifications of ending aging are all addressed
Eat well, exercise and support the Methuselah Foundation because it is lead by the great anti-aging biotechnologist Aubrey de Grey who has the noble mission to defeat aging with biomedical interventions. And it could be possible in the not so distant future.
Nic Smith
Ending Aging is at its best when discussing the science behind SENS, and, sadly, weak in its examination of how aging is viewed in society and the difficulty in raising funds for this worthy goal. The call for a "war on aging" is ill-advised in at least its marketing.
Jul 17, 2014 Maximus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great overview of upcoming technologies in health. No practical advice offered for age extension though.
May 31, 2016 Xaverius rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
don't listen to the haters. aunque puede que en algunos puntos específicos falle, defiende bien la extrema extensión de la esperanza de vida humana como un objetivo realista y deseable
Wayne Lovelady
Aug 12, 2015 Wayne Lovelady rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed the book, may have not been the best written but i thought everything inside was really engrossing.
Nicky rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2015
Theresa rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2012
Kabin Wang
Kabin Wang rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2015
Trish rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2013
Andrew Hartley
Andrew Hartley rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2012
  • Fantastic Voyage: Live Long Enough to Live Forever
  • Radical Evolution: The Promise and Peril of Enhancing Our Minds, Our Bodies -- and What It Means to Be Human
  • Engines of Creation: The Coming Era of Nanotechnology
  • Big Little Book of Whispers
  • Human Enhancement
  • Mind Children: The Future of Robot and Human Intelligence
  • The Transhumanist Reader: Classical and Contemporary Essays on the Science, Technology, and Philosophy of the Human Future
  • Justice and the Politics of Difference
  • Existentialism For Dummies
  • Entendre (The Man Who Loved Too Much, #2)
  • Passions of the Mind: Selected Writings
  • The People's Songs: The Story of Modern Britain in 50 Records
  • Neuropolitique
  • Clean: A History of Personal Hygiene and Purity
  • Citizen Cyborg: Why Democratic Societies Must Respond to the Redesigned Human of the Future
  • White Walls: A Memoir About Motherhood, Daughterhood, and the Mess In Between
  • The Lights in the Tunnel: Automation, Accelerating Technology and the Economy of the Future
  • Anatomy of a Poet

“I have been aware for many years that most people do not think about aging in the same way that they think about cancer, or diabetes, or heart disease. They are strongly in favor of the absolute elimination of such diseases as soon as possible, but the idea of eliminating aging—maintaining truly youthful physical and mental function indefinitely—evokes an avalanche of fears and reservations. Yet, in the sense that matters most, aging is just like smoking: It’s really bad for you.” 1 likes