Start by marking “9 Out of 10 Climbers Make the Same Mistakes” as Want to Read:
9 Out of 10 Climbers Make the Same Mistakes

9 Out of 10 Climbers Make the Same Mistakes

9 out of 10 climbers make the same mistakes - navigation through the maze of advice for the self-coached climber 9 out of 10 climbers are stuck. They are stuck on the same things. Some of the things that hold climbers back from improving their climbing standard are the same as they were twenty years ago: motivation, managing time, and not being able to analyse and correct ...more
Published November 25th 2009 by Rare Breed Productions (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about 9 Out of 10 Climbers Make the Same Mistakes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 9 Out of 10 Climbers Make the Same Mistakes

Sara
Dec 14, 2013 Sara rated it it was ok
Not a fan.

I was recommended this book to help me work through some of my anxiety and fear when climbing. I found the chapter on that topic to be completely useless. His advice is incredibly generic, mostly focused on his own personal experience, and really seems to only apply to a specific type of climber. I couldn't really relate to any of the things he was saying about "most" climbers. I guess I'm the 1 out of 10 climbers who doesn't apply to this book.

In terms of writing... ug. His writing st
Tomek
Sep 26, 2014 Tomek rated it it was ok
I cannot fathom why this book is cited as being so important. Although many good points are brought up, I feel that MacLeod simply spouts platitudes. I find Self-Coached Climber and Training for Climbing to accomplish the same thing MacLeod set out to do, but in a more focused manner. At any rate, I don't see it being worth the 20 dollar price tag...
Bastiaan Terhorst
Mar 02, 2015 Bastiaan Terhorst rated it really liked it
While the prose may leave something to be desired -- as other reviewers have pointed out -- the advice in this book is solid. And frankly, I feel that for a sport that offers little in the way of cristallized and proven training methods, any effort in that direction should be welcomed. Personally, I skipped some sections where I felt the author was repeating himself a tad too often, and skimmed sections where he strayed off-topic, but I also thoroughly enjoyed the sections that offered creative, ...more
Den Tserkovnyi
Nov 13, 2016 Den Tserkovnyi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: climbing
I don't like self-help books, but I enjoyed this one.
I made almost all mistakes mentioned in this book and some of them were never corrected. So it was very easy to relate to the described situations and issues.
The book is concise, fun and thought-provoking. It touches upon wide range of topics from understanding of the common fears to the advice on different climbing strategies and weight management. It is not a very detailed analysis of the each climbing issue and solution but rather an overvi
Justus
Jun 05, 2012 Justus rated it really liked it
Shelves: climbing
I'm most likely too new to climbing to give it a very useful review, but I liked the book a lot. Its main point is that the best/fastest way to progress in climbing is to work on the stuff you're not good at. Other than that he brings a good perspective about balancing life and climbing. Its a bit more meta than other climbing books, a small library which I have quickly developed, but I think it will be one that I will revisit regularly to remind myself of the bigger picture.
Tina
Mar 31, 2012 Tina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
I absolutely was one of the 9 climbers who make the mistakes described in this book. I had set my mind on performing and therefore only ever picked routes that I was pretty sure I could handle. Since I read this book I have not only improved my climbing as far as grades are concerned, with the new input I managed to take the pressure off and learn a lot of new moves and strategies.
I can understand the critical comments about the structure, but the content makes up for it.
Highly recommended!
Irene
May 26, 2013 Irene rated it really liked it
An easy-to-read conversational tone and tons of common (and less common) sense suggestions and ideas make this book feel like a good conversation with your gnarly expert rock climber uncle. He knows more about climbing than you and can explain exactly what good habits you should endeavor to make second nature. Typos and haphazard editing in this edition don't detract much from the positive impact the advice has already had on my approach to climbing.
Jessica
Aug 19, 2015 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, climbing
He seems to be correct-- all his ideas make sense. Fear of falling and tendency to practice what you're already good at are the 2 biggest problems he points out and they are weaknesses of mine. But I took a good lead fall this weekend and I will continue to work on it!
My main criticism is that it could use an editor (continuous misuse of it's vs. its is distracting to me). It's not gorgeous prose at all, but it's to the point.
Jake McCrary
Mar 09, 2013 Jake McCrary rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-tech, read_2013
Pretty solid book that touched on a wide variety of climbing topics. Stated goal of the book was to make the reader take a step back and try to focus on the big picture instead of picking apart training details.

The book isn't detailed oriented and instead covers many topics. I'll probably reread certain chapters in the future. It is a short, quick read. Worth if it if you are interested in climbing.
Kiri
Sep 14, 2012 Kiri rated it it was amazing
Dave McLeod is first and foremost a climber, and secondarily a coach, teacher, writer. These facts make him uniquely qualified to write a book of this sort, sharing the knowledge he has gleaned from his years of climbing expertise. Not all climbers can be as analytical and self-aware as this, and it takes a certain kind of thoughtfulness to pick apart what holds some back from achieving their potential.

Even a weekend warrior like me can gain valuable lessons from Dave's fine book!
Alice Domenis
Feb 21, 2013 Alice Domenis rated it really liked it
This book inspired me and really helped me in a number of things (train, do not perform; eat carbs after a climbing session; climb in front of a lot of people to get over embarrassment). What I didn't like of the book is the very poor editing; it definitely needed some more proofing before going into print (no graphic examples, no chapter structure and a few concepts repeated many times).
Brian
May 08, 2016 Brian rated it liked it
As others have said, it could certainly have used a heavy-handed edit... Still, I read this book because I want to improve as a climber, and I've made several changes in my attitude and training plan that should accomplish that. I think the motivation/mindset/take-a-step-back message of this book will be more helpful to my climbing than other self-help climbing books focused on the details.
Kate
Mar 03, 2010 Kate rated it liked it
This book was packed with good information, and I learned a lot. It really forces you to consider embarrassing truths about your climbing, and hopefully come out better for it. Unfortunately, the book is messily organized, poorly edited, and a bit of a ramble. Some time adding summaries, tables, and more chapter organizaion would make this book 5 stars.
Loucaspapa
Sep 02, 2012 Loucaspapa rated it it was ok

Undoubtedly David Macleod is an experienced climber with much to say and offer to the climbing community. However, this book is unreadable; very poor structure and writing. I hope a future edition, with a proper editor will make this book shine.
Hilmar Ingimundarson
Mar 06, 2016 Hilmar Ingimundarson rated it it was amazing
Always great to read something that helps you understand the difficulties in progress in climbing...and it helps give you a perspective of what you want to get Out of your climbing life. Its not what you want to achieve (dreams) but rather what you are willing to reach your goals (dreams)
Chance
Apr 24, 2011 Chance rated it really liked it
The premise is great -- take a step back and look at climbing training holistically in order to save yourself from a sea of details.

A really good book, but does suffer from some organization/editing issues.
Moses Potter
Feb 04, 2013 Moses Potter rated it liked it
Excellent general introduction to training for climbing. I was hoping the book would be more specific for the higher end athlete, but understand the constraints of writing for a broad audience, and the fact that athletes need more advice than can realistically fit in a one-size-fits-all book.
Brent
Apr 02, 2014 Brent rated it liked it
Many good ideas, but suffers from simply putting them on the page. There are some abrupt shifts in topic.
Mark
Mar 14, 2015 Mark rated it it was amazing
Really useful practical guide on how to improve. The psycholigical aspects of course are transferable to many different pursuits.
Ryan
Sep 16, 2013 Ryan rated it really liked it
Solid piece for self-coached rock climbing. Really niche but if anyone's interested in pushing their rock climbing, definitely a must-read.
Yannicke
Jun 14, 2014 Yannicke rated it it was amazing
Shelves: climbing
In every mistake I recognized myself - I am definitely one of they 9! Very useful to get an insight in what you're doing wrong.. and how to improve!
Woody
Woody rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2015
Darin Ohashi
Darin Ohashi rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2013
Hannah Glancy
Hannah Glancy rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2014
Edwin Mclenaghan
Edwin Mclenaghan rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2012
Tony
Tony rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2014
Samuel Clarke
Samuel Clarke rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2016
Guðlaugur Ingi
Guðlaugur Ingi rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2015
Nick Serrano
Nick Serrano rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2013
André
André rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Self-Coached Climber: The Guide to Movement, Training, Performance
  • Training for Climbing: The Definitive Guide to Improving Your Climbing Performance
  • Rock Climbing: Mastering Basic Skills
  • Climbing Free: My Life in the Vertical World
  • The Global Activists' Manual: Acting Locally to Transform the World
  • Slicing Pie - Funding Your Business Without Funds
  • Big Data
  • The Rape of the Mind: The Psychology of Thought Control, Menticide, and Brainwashing
  • Learning to Fly: An Uncommon Memoir of Human Flight, Unexpected Love, and One Amazing Dog
  • Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills