Start by marking “Back to Methuselah” as Want to Read:
Back to Methuselah

Back to Methuselah

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  145 ratings  ·  14 reviews
My own works were at that time unwritten, or it is possible that the shop assistant might have misunderstood me so far as to produce a copy of Man and Superman. As it was, she knew quite well what he wanted; for this was before the Education Act of 1870 had produced shop assistants who know how to read and know nothing else.
Published August 10th 2008 by Tutis Digital Pub (first published 1921)

To ask other readers questions about Back to Methuselah, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Back to Methuselah

David Sarkies
Aug 09, 2014 David Sarkies rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Philosopher & Christians
Recommended to David by: I saw it at a bookshop
Shelves: philosophy
The evolution of Humanity played out on stage
27 March 2014

When I picked this book up again I noticed that I have already read and commented on it, and I suspect that the comment that I wrote was back when I simply commented on books that I had already read not realising that there were a number of books that I wanted to read again (including this one). However I have decided that what I will do is write an updated commentary, though I still believe the comments that I made originally still hold
Erik Graff
Jul 27, 2014 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Shavians
Recommended to Erik by: Kenneth Bennett
Shelves: drama
One of Dad's oldest friends, Ken Bennett, former professor of English at Lake Forest University, is a Shavian; I'd enjoyed the little Shaw I'd read and the description of Methuselah in a book of the world's greatest literature I'd poured through for ideas for future reading had made the five plays sound very intriguing, so I bought the thing and dived in, reading it every night at my ER desk at Evanston Hospital.

Well, I finished the thing, but couldn't say I was much impressed. The plays are int
David Sarkies
Mar 21, 2014 David Sarkies rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Open minded Christians
Recommended to David by: Nobody in Particular
Shelves: modernist
The evolution of humanity played out on stage
23 July 2011

This play is my favourite Bernard Shaw play next to Pygmalion, and having been written in the early twenties, it not only shows some more maturity in the playwriting, but also explores a topic that was believed to be dead after World War I: the concept of Human Enlightenment.
The concept, popular in the late 19th Century and early 20th Century was that after almost a century of peace that the human race was on the doorstep of a new golden
E.J. Matze
Methuselah
Ads by Google
Free Stock Photo Worldwide Stock Photo Community Browse and Buy 5,000,000+ Images Dreamstime.com
Oxford University Short online courses in English Literature onlinecourses.conted.ox.ac.uk
Understanding the Word Break through traditional teachings to truth and the word of life. www.hallvworthington.com
Tamara De Lempicka Kunstdrucke und fertige Bilder Jetzt auf Rechnung kaufen! www.3w-versand.de
a play by G. B. Shaw, first performed in 1922; it is its author's most complete dra
شيماء الكثيري
العودة الى ميتوشالح !

القسم الأول : في البدء، عام 4004 ق. م ( في جنة عدن)
القسم الثاني : انجيل الأخوين بارناباس ( الوقت الحاضر )
القسم الثالث : الشيء يحدث ( عام 2170 )
القسم الرابع : مأساة السيد كهل ( عام 3000 م)
القسم الخامس : أقصى ما يمكن أن يصل إليه الفكر ( عام 31920 م)

أكثر فهرس ابهرني إطلاقًا، لم أتردد في استعارتها بعد قراءتي للفهرس

مسرحية محيّرة، فكرتها ساحرة وعظيمة، وتحتوي على أفكار رمزية وفلسفية .. لكن للأسف معالجتها سيئة، الكثير من الأشياء غير مترابطة وغير مفهومة .. اعجبني الفصل الأول والأخي
Brainsgalore
IN THE PREFACE,SHAW'S suggestion of an INCREASED LIFE EXPECTANCY AT BIRTH attainable through CREATIVE EVOLUTION is not a viable proposition - however i liked it - KNOWLEDGE IS AN ENDLESS PURSUIT AND ONE LIFETIME IS NOT ENOUGH - FRANKLYN AND CONRAD are unanimous in this context and even after things are out of scientific favour,the proposition rings out loud to me at least - our follies pave the path for future accomplishments and so EVE thinks that her future sons would indulge in better things ...more
Paul Kieniewicz
This is one of those fascinating works that has the potential to change your life, or at the least the way you see your life. While countless science fiction novelists glibly deal with immortality as if it were just a fine way to live, Shaw explores the psychological consequences. What sort of mind would it take, if you decided to live for, say 300 years? Would you have the strength for such a life? Could you live with yourself for that long? Take a journey through the five plays of this cycle. ...more
Raully
My first Shaw play. From 1921, Shaw is definitely reeling from the war in this imaginary retelling of a past and future Genesis. The surreality of the play however keeps me from wondering how serious - or comic - the play is supposed to be.

Another last thought: I kept reflecting on how contemporary audiences, even Christian ones, would probably not be biblically literate enough to understand such an anti-Christian play.
Mike Harmon
Bernard Shaw explores the psychological consequences of immortality in a series of 5 plays that dramatize the evolution of humanity:
In the Beginning (B.C. 4004), The Gospel of the Brothers Barnabas (Present Day), The Thing Happens (A.D. 2170), Tragedy of an Elderly Gentleman (A.D. 3000), As Far as Thought Can Reach (A.D. 31,920).
Benjamin
If I had not read the preface, I would have thought it was dated fiction punctuated by moments of humor. Knowing that Shaw saw his wishful thinking as some sort deep truth, however, spoiled the fun.

my favorite quote: "You are always in little squabbling cliques; and the worst cliques are those which consist of one man."
Gwern
Strange - a sort of extremely slow progress that runs antithetical to modernity. In many ways (in terms of the nonfiction aspect of Shaw's project), J.B.S Haldane's "Daedalus, or, Science and the Future" is far superior, or Bernal's _The World, the Flesh, and the Devil_.
Vicky
I found this book fascinating - the whole idea of people living longer & what that might look like. Very science fiction in an old-fashioned way :)
Carolyn
the story about adam and eve is great. referenced by kurt vonnegut jr.
Daniel Taylor
Daniel Taylor marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Adam Koszary
Adam Koszary is currently reading it
Dec 11, 2014
Brit McGinnis
Brit McGinnis marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Kevin Hinds
Kevin Hinds marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Mir
Mir marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Lili
Lili marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Alan
Alan added it
Oct 29, 2014
Dimostenis Yagcioglu
Dimostenis Yagcioglu marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Jim Stout
Jim Stout marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
  • The Art of Fact: A Historical Anthology of Literary Journalism
  • Collected Plays: Volume 1: A Dance of the Forests; The Swamp Dwellers; The Strong Breed; The Road; The Bacchae of Euripides: Vol 1 (V. 1: A Galaxy Book)
  • The Beaux' Stratagem
  • Shamans Through Time
  • The End of the European Era: 1890 to the Present (The Norton History of Modern Europe)
  • Catholics
  • The Fable of the Bees and Other Writings
  • The School for Wives and The Learned Ladies
  • Anna in the Tropics
  • Alcestis
  • Everyman and Other Miracle and Morality Plays (Dover Thrift Editions)
George Bernard Shaw was an Irish playwright, socialist, and a co-founder of the London School of Economics. Although his first profitable writing was music and literary criticism, in which capacity he wrote many highly articulate pieces of journalism, his main talent was for drama. Over the course of his life he wrote more than 60 plays. Nearly all his plays address prevailing social problems, but ...more
More about George Bernard Shaw...
Pygmalion Pygmalion and Three Other Plays Pygmalion & My Fair Lady Arms and the Man Saint Joan

“You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?” 3663 likes
“When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth.” 230 likes