Start by marking “Back to Methuselah” as Want to Read:
Back to Methuselah

Back to Methuselah

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  188 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
My own works were at that time unwritten, or it is possible that the shop assistant might have misunderstood me so far as to produce a copy of Man and Superman. As it was, she knew quite well what he wanted; for this was before the Education Act of 1870 had produced shop assistants who know how to read and know nothing else.
Published August 10th 2008 by Tutis Digital Pub (first published 1921)

To ask other readers questions about Back to Methuselah, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Back to Methuselah

David Sarkies
Aug 09, 2014 David Sarkies rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Philosopher & Christians
Recommended to David by: I saw it at a bookshop
Shelves: philosophy
The evolution of Humanity played out on stage
27 March 2014

When I picked this book up again I noticed that I have already read and commented on it, and I suspect that the comment that I wrote was back when I simply commented on books that I had already read not realising that there were a number of books that I wanted to read again (including this one). However I have decided that what I will do is write an updated commentary, though I still believe the comments that I made originally still hold
Erik Graff
Jul 27, 2014 Erik Graff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Shavians
Recommended to Erik by: Kenneth Bennett
Shelves: drama
One of Dad's oldest friends, Ken Bennett, former professor of English at Lake Forest University, is a Shavian; I'd enjoyed the little Shaw I'd read and the description of Methuselah in a book of the world's greatest literature I'd poured through for ideas for future reading had made the five plays sound very intriguing, so I bought the thing and dived in, reading it every night at my ER desk at Evanston Hospital.

Well, I finished the thing, but couldn't say I was much impressed. The plays are int
David Sarkies
Mar 21, 2014 David Sarkies rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Open minded Christians
Recommended to David by: Nobody in Particular
Shelves: modernist
The evolution of humanity played out on stage
23 July 2011

This play is my favourite Bernard Shaw play next to Pygmalion, and having been written in the early twenties, it not only shows some more maturity in the playwriting, but also explores a topic that was believed to be dead after World War I: the concept of Human Enlightenment.
The concept, popular in the late 19th Century and early 20th Century was that after almost a century of peace that the human race was on the doorstep of a new golden
E.J. Matze
Mar 15, 2010 E.J. Matze rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: playwright
Methuselah
Ads by Google
Free Stock Photo Worldwide Stock Photo Community Browse and Buy 5,000,000+ Images Dreamstime.com
Oxford University Short online courses in English Literature onlinecourses.conted.ox.ac.uk
Understanding the Word Break through traditional teachings to truth and the word of life. www.hallvworthington.com
Tamara De Lempicka Kunstdrucke und fertige Bilder Jetzt auf Rechnung kaufen! www.3w-versand.de
a play by G. B. Shaw, first performed in 1922; it is its author's most complete dra
Paul Kieniewicz
Apr 05, 2012 Paul Kieniewicz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mind-expanding
This is one of those fascinating works that has the potential to change your life, or at the least the way you see your life. While countless science fiction novelists glibly deal with immortality as if it were just a fine way to live, Shaw explores the psychological consequences. What sort of mind would it take, if you decided to live for, say 300 years? Would you have the strength for such a life? Could you live with yourself for that long? Take a journey through the five plays of this cycle. ...more
Akhil Ayarottil
Jan 22, 2016 Akhil Ayarottil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This ain't a play, this is a goddamn novel. Goodness, Mr Shaw had a lot of things to say. Effin' funny though. Like when that woman failed to shoot Napoleon from two feet away and he plays dead and then calls her a woman for being a bad shot.
Then, the final words from Lilith. Woo... timeless, that.
Dr.J.G.
Feb 05, 2016 Dr.J.G. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An attempt by one of the most intelligent thinkers, writers, people of last century to peep into future of evolution - beyond the present limits of where we are.

Life spans of longer than a century or two, youth and ability well into third century, or lives a millennium long with growing up and reproduction finished soon so the true vocation can be taken up, of thought and creation? Sensational, either way.

Sunday, September 21, 2008.
.............................................................
Fabio
Apr 23, 2016 Fabio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are two ideas you cannot even suggest in a society such as ours (early 21st century U.S.) without being automatically lumped with religious zealots: first, that something is missing from Darwin's fans view of evolution: you would just get people condescendingly trying to enlighten you as to the fact that dinosaurs existed. Second, that normal good natured men are puppets of profiteering when you remove religion from their lives.

Should you choose to combine both views in one writing you wou
شيماء الكثيري
العودة الى ميتوشالح !

القسم الأول : في البدء، عام 4004 ق. م ( في جنة عدن)
القسم الثاني : انجيل الأخوين بارناباس ( الوقت الحاضر )
القسم الثالث : الشيء يحدث ( عام 2170 )
القسم الرابع : مأساة السيد كهل ( عام 3000 م)
القسم الخامس : أقصى ما يمكن أن يصل إليه الفكر ( عام 31920 م)

أكثر فهرس ابهرني إطلاقًا، لم أتردد في استعارتها بعد قراءتي للفهرس

مسرحية محيّرة، فكرتها ساحرة وعظيمة، وتحتوي على أفكار رمزية وفلسفية .. لكن للأسف معالجتها سيئة، الكثير من الأشياء غير مترابطة وغير مفهومة .. اعجبني الفصل الأول والأخي
Sejjad K.
Mar 13, 2015 Sejjad K. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
قليلة هي الكتب التى تدرك وانت تقراها بأنها ستبقى عالقة في ذاكرتك الى الوقت الذي تنطفئ تلك الذاكرة ، مسرحية ميتوشالح واحدة من تلك الكتب .
انها مسرحية الزمن كله ومراحل الانسان كلها ، هي البداية والصراع والنهاية .
الزمن فيها يبتدأ مع آدم وحواء ليصل الى سنة م .
بحث فلسفي ضخم وقصة رائعة ، أضخم وأعظم ما كتبه برناردشو .
عمل يجب ويجب ويجب ان يقرأ ، ونادرا ً جدا ً ان أتحمس لكتاب ما .
Brainsgalore
Aug 16, 2010 Brainsgalore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
IN THE PREFACE,SHAW'S suggestion of an INCREASED LIFE EXPECTANCY AT BIRTH attainable through CREATIVE EVOLUTION is not a viable proposition - however i liked it - KNOWLEDGE IS AN ENDLESS PURSUIT AND ONE LIFETIME IS NOT ENOUGH - FRANKLYN AND CONRAD are unanimous in this context and even after things are out of scientific favour,the proposition rings out loud to me at least - our follies pave the path for future accomplishments and so EVE thinks that her future sons would indulge in better things ...more
Raully
Nov 01, 2009 Raully rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first Shaw play. From 1921, Shaw is definitely reeling from the war in this imaginary retelling of a past and future Genesis. The surreality of the play however keeps me from wondering how serious - or comic - the play is supposed to be.

Another last thought: I kept reflecting on how contemporary audiences, even Christian ones, would probably not be biblically literate enough to understand such an anti-Christian play.
Mike Harmon
Aug 08, 2014 Mike Harmon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bernard Shaw explores the psychological consequences of immortality in a series of 5 plays that dramatize the evolution of humanity:
In the Beginning (B.C. 4004), The Gospel of the Brothers Barnabas (Present Day), The Thing Happens (A.D. 2170), Tragedy of an Elderly Gentleman (A.D. 3000), As Far as Thought Can Reach (A.D. 31,920).
Benjamin
Mar 13, 2011 Benjamin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If I had not read the preface, I would have thought it was dated fiction punctuated by moments of humor. Knowing that Shaw saw his wishful thinking as some sort deep truth, however, spoiled the fun.

my favorite quote: "You are always in little squabbling cliques; and the worst cliques are those which consist of one man."
Gwern
Jan 15, 2013 Gwern rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Strange - a sort of extremely slow progress that runs antithetical to modernity. In many ways (in terms of the nonfiction aspect of Shaw's project), J.B.S Haldane's "Daedalus, or, Science and the Future" is far superior, or Bernal's _The World, the Flesh, and the Devil_.
Vicky
Aug 05, 2011 Vicky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recent
I found this book fascinating - the whole idea of people living longer & what that might look like. Very science fiction in an old-fashioned way :)
Carolyn
Aug 21, 2010 Carolyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the story about adam and eve is great. referenced by kurt vonnegut jr.
Ida Aasebøstøl
Ida Aasebøstøl marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Ela Praznik
Ela Praznik marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Odreka Amira
Odreka Amira marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Mohamed Sumri
Mohamed Sumri marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
David Forero
David Forero marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Choirsoftheeye
Choirsoftheeye marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Richard Bentley
Richard Bentley rated it really liked it
Erik Berkun-drevnig
Erik Berkun-drevnig marked it as to-read
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Armando Ochoa
Armando Ochoa marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Daniel Wright
Daniel Wright marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
  • The Art of Fact: A Historical Anthology of Literary Journalism
  • The Age of Religious Wars, 1559-1715
  • Roads of Destiny
  • The Man of Mode
  • The End of the European Era: 1890 to the Present (The Norton History of Modern Europe)
  • A Tale of a Tub and Other Works
  • The Young Man from Atlanta
  • Collected Plays: Volume 1: A Dance of the Forests; The Swamp Dwellers; The Strong Breed; The Road; The Bacchae of Euripides: 001 (Includes a Dance of ... Breed/the Road/the Bacchae of Euripides)
  • The World of the Short Story: A Twentieth Century Collection
  • The Fable of the Bees and Other Writings
  • The Foundations of Early Modern Europe: 1460-1559
George Bernard Shaw was an Irish playwright, socialist, and a co-founder of the London School of Economics. Although his first profitable writing was music and literary criticism, in which capacity he wrote many highly articulate pieces of journalism, his main talent was for drama. Over the course of his life he wrote more than 60 plays. Nearly all his plays address prevailing social problems, but ...more
More about George Bernard Shaw...

“You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?” 3815 likes
“You use a glass mirror to see your face; you use works of art to see your soul.” 515 likes