The Fashion Hound Murders (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper #5)

The Fashion Hound Murders (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper #5)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  362 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Josie Marcus has been hired to check out a big pet store's involvement with puppy mills. When an employee who clued her into the mills' existence shows up dead, Josie realizes that sinking her teeth into this case could mean getting bitten back ]
Published November 3rd 2009 by New American Library (first published September 29th 2009)

Sesa38
My favorite Josie Marcus mystery so far. She and Alyce have a new friend that is a hoot. A light, fast read.
Lots of great info about pets in general in addition to a good, light mystery.
Debbie
Another Great Story by Elaine Viets!! Funny and heart warming! ♥♥
Darcy
This was a fun, quick, easy read. Josie always seems to get herself in crazy situations and this is no different. I could tell right away when she took the shopping job there would be problems. It is always fun to see Alyce go with her on her shopping trips. I did like the new neighbor of Alyce's that helped, but it got old fast with Josie being jealous of her and the money that she spent. I am also getting tired of all the dating hassles in Josie's life. Over all the story was good, but I did f...more
Thoroughly enjoyed it. A fun read as well as a very well written, carefully thought out message concerning a very serious topic. Viets hit the nail on the head (as she always does) with her criminal characters in this one, as well as with the nutty ones. I appreciate the way she tied in peripheral issues like neglect, reptiles, and animal hoarders. Puppy mills may have been the main focus, but the book highlighted those other serious issues nicely. I enjoyed seeing a common nightly news story ne...more
Ed
#5 in the Mystery Shopper series - or Josie Marcus goes to the dogs.
Pedestrian effort has the mystery shopper shopping pet stores but then getting so deeply involved with actual investigation of puppy mill sites.

Mystery Shopper series - Josie Marcus has been hired to check out a big pet store's involvement with puppy mills. When an employee who clued her into the mill's existence shows up dead, Josie realizes that sinking her teeth into this case could mean getting bitten back.
Jodi
I am sorry to say, this book did not live up to the standards set by her previous Mystery Shopper books. While the cause she supported was admirable, it seemed as if she was preaching at times, and lost focus of the story line. She introduced a character who was unrealistic, while dismissing another who had real potential. If she does write another in this series, I hope she goes back to the previous writing pattern.
Stacey
I really give this book about 2.5 stars. If I wasn't a big Elaine Viets fan I'd give it 1.5. I got into this series because it combined my 2 favorite things a good mystery and shopping. This book had an extremely predictable "mystery" and maybe a total of 5-10 pages of shopping. I'm a huge animal lover and have 5 rescued pets and I still found this book on the boring side. Not her best work at all.
Kate
This was the first book I read in the series (I started the Mistletoe one and stopped because I didn't like it)- I was surprised to find that I actually liked it. I liked the fact that animals were a big focus of the book- the main character's daughter gets a new cat, a vet is accused of murder and her friend accidentally buys a puppy mill dog. A fun read- good enough to try more in the series.
Chelsea
Like in all her books, there is a combination of humor and important life issues in this book as well. The story is great in educating one about puppy mills, pet adoption, hoarders, and so on. Also, at the end of the book, lots of great shopping tips for your pets.

The characters are very real and likable, and I really enjoyed the story especially since I am an animal lover myself.
I enjoy both of Viets series (dead end job and mystery shopper). Parts of the story lines become a little tiring (the heroine in dead end job is hiding from her ex-husband for a ridiculous amount of time and the one in the mystery shopper series can't fina decent man) but it is interesting to read about these different jobs.
Epereira
I want to read this book because I read a little of it on internet and it talks about fashion and I like all about fashion, dresses etc.. so I want to still reading more about this book !! jaja:)
Anderson
I like this book because I like fashon and it is very cool. If you are a person that likes all kinds of clothes and shoes anf=d fashone stuff well get this book.
Julie
This is better. That last book in the series was so depressing, I wasn't even sure I'd continue. But this one added puppies and kittens. Who could ask for more?
Sherree Chmitlin
I have read each of the book in this series and I would reccommend each one. You will fall in love with Josie and her mystery shopping.
Beverly
This series a quick and enjoyable read. If you like mysteries you will like this series. And the shopping tips are not bad either.
Terri
Didn't enjoy this one as much as the other mystery shopper books...not written very well, in my opinion.
Deborah
I did enjoy this book, especially as it also deals with puppy mills and trying to shut them down.
Susan Bosworth
Decent book really. I love chick lit murder mysteries that are kind of a brain candy.
Jan
Elaine Viets has the talent to write a tremendously enjoyable story every time!
Michele
Great continuation to the series. Love the characters!
One of the better in the series!
Lynda
Another great entry in this series.
Elizabeth
Elizabeth is currently reading it
Apr 16, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Andrea Hagadorn Barnett
Andrea Hagadorn Barnett is currently reading it
Sami Sayed
Sami Sayed marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
  • Designer Knockoff (Crime of Fashion, #2)
  • Going, Going, Ganache (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #5)
  • Nightshade on Elm Street (A Flower Shop Mystery, #13)
  • Dead Men Don't Get the Munchies (A Cooking Class Mystery, #3)
  • A Deal to Die For (Good Buy Girls, #2)
  • Legs Benedict (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #14)
  • Murder of a Chocolate-Covered Cherry (A Scumble River Mystery, #10)
  • Fashion Faux Paw (Dog Walker Mysteries, #6)
  • Dial H for Hitchcock (Cece Caruso, #5)
  • Chapter and Hearse (A Booktown Mystery, #4)
  • Death by Panty Hose (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #6)
  • Death Loves a Messy Desk (A Charlotte Adams Mystery #3)
262084
As a young girl, Elaine Viets was taught the virtues of South St. Louis: the importance of hard work, housecleaning, and paying cash. She managed to forget almost everything she learned, which is why she turned to mystery writing.

Living in South Florida has not improved her character. But it has given her the bestselling Dead-End Job series. Like her amateur detective, Helen Hawthorne, Elaine actu...more
More about Elaine Viets...
Shop Till You Drop (Dead-End Job Mystery, #1) Murder Between the Covers (Dead-End Job Mystery, #2) Dying in Style (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper, #1) Dying to Call You (Dead-End Job Mystery, #3) Just Murdered (Dead-End Job Mystery, #4)