Start by marking “Nexus Point” as Want to Read:
Nexus Point

Nexus Point (The Fall of the Altairan Empire #1)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Dace's wants are simple - a trading ship and the freedom to fly where she chooses. But on her first trip, her crew betrays her, her ship explodes, and she finds herself stranded on Dadilan, a planet locked in a feudal age. Survival is hard enough when you have no technology or resources. It's even harder when you have drug smugglers hunting you. Dadilan is the source of sh...more
Published November 30th 2009 by Altered Dimensions

To ask other readers questions about Nexus Point, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nexus Point

Princess Academy by Shannon HaleFablehaven by Brandon MullThe Goose Girl by Shannon HalePrincess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day GeorgePrincess of Glass by Jessica Day George
Books by Utah Authors
63rd out of 727 books — 348 voters
In The Eye of The Beholder by Sharon E. CathcartLong Live The New Flesh by William Pauley IIINexus Point by Jaleta CleggWuthering Heights by Emily BrontëThe Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
Ebooks You Want To Read in 2010
3rd out of 59 books — 31 voters

More lists with this book...

Katy
Oct 27, 2012 Katy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of space opera
Shelves: ebook
Book Info: Genre: Space Opera
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: Fans of space opera

Disclosure: I received the 2nd book in this series, Priestess of the Eggstone from the LibraryThing Early Reviewer’s program in exchange for an honest review. I was not aware of the fact it was a 2nd book when I started reading, and when I discovered there was a previous book, I purchased it for myself so I could read it. As a result I’m under no obligation, but am always happy to provide an honest review.

Syno...more
Shallee McArthur
When I was in college, my roommate came home one day with a CD. She said her boss's wife--Jaleta Clegg--was a writer, and had offered to let my roommate read an ecopy of the book she was working on. When I found out it was sci fi, I immediately wanted to read it too. I popped the CD in my computer...and read Nexus Point half the night.

I loved the story so much, my roommate gave me the CD. For the next few years, I would pull it up every once in a while and read it again. One day, I decided to fi...more
Debbie
DANG, Jaleta! Every other page was something unexpected and exciting. A spacecraft pilot ends up in a world that combines Robin Hood, Ponce De Lyon, and King Arthur. You end up with surprises at every turn. One saves Two. Then Two saves One. Then Three saves One and Two. And its a wonder that One doesn't die right away.

A delightful young adult tale that, I hate to admit, kept me awake so I could finish. And I just do not do that. I do NOT stay awake to finish reading a book. I have too much self...more
Frances
Mar 18, 2010 Frances rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
I always judge a book by how easy it is to put down. With Nexus Point, I couldn't and I didn't. The action grabs you from the first, "Oh, no!" and keeps a firm grip on you all the way to the final, "Wait, I want more, please?"

With the winning combination of: a heroine I can empathize with, a hero that is both irresistable and dangerous, a world that is thoroughly built and original, and quirky, fun side characters with a touch of humor, Nexus Point is a big win.

Cleverly plotted, richly peopled,...more
Sherwood
Great fast paced adventure
Dace's troubles start when her ship is sabotaged and she crash lands on a quarantined primitive planet. In her efforts to get off the planet she encounters friends, makes enemies, and is the catalyst for planet wide changes. The planet will never be the same again. Dace has a supporting cast of characters that come alive on the page. I love the ending, it finishes the story, but leaves a lot of room for other books.
M. Pax
A traditional style space opera, Nexus Point takes you on a non-stop adventure. From chapter one when Captain Dace is forced to make an emergency landing unti the end, the intrigue and surprises kept coming. Dadilan is a planet rich in perils and goings on. Captain Dace stumbles into them all. A definite fun read. If you love space opera, you'll enjoy this.
Jessica
Feb 20, 2012 Jessica marked it as to-read
I'm making a wedding cake for the author's daughter so she gave me a copy of her book!
Judie Eatough
I enjoyed this book very much, strong protaganist, interesting world.
Tessa
I'll start by saying I am not a huge fan of sci-fi or of romance, so this just wasn't the book for me. I read it because I work with the author's husband and he wanted my opinion.

I have a hard time separating my opinion of any novel from the actual quality of the writing but I'll give it a shot. The book felt erratic. Tayvis was nice the rough then has Dace at gunpoint then loves her. I just couldn't keep him straight. He's also the perfectly chiseled male lead in a romance that I don't particul...more
Soleil
Nexus point, from start to stop, beginning to end, chapter 1 to chapter 40, is a fast paced, adrenaline rush of a read. Jaleta Clegg’s style is very to the point, very no-nonsense. No fluff or extraneous detail of any kind. Just constant forward motion. She doesn’t slow down by much, and keep in mind, I think this is all a good thing. Because there is a lot of story to cover. Though I do usually prefer a bit more introspection, it just doesn’t call for it. There’s too much going on, the heroine...more
Paul Keefe
Her ship crash landed on the feudal planet Dadilan, Captain Dace finds herself at the mercy of corrupt officials, former sabotaging crewmembers, and the Patrol. Not a good place to be. What’s worse is the local officials, some from off planet, are all part of the shara drug trade.

Dace spends much of her time trying to convince a Patrol officer, Tayvis, that she isn’t a smuggler. But it seems everyone is telling a different story, making it difficult for Dace to convince anyone of her innocence....more
Richard
In full disclosure I won the second book in this series in a Goodreads giveaway.

The story itself is good, it is not a typical sci-fi story but it’s not totally original either. You can see the influences from traditional sci-fi shows such as Star Wars and Star Trek.

The language is fairly simple, that’s not to say it is bad, just not elegant or elaborate and we are only told the bare facts and not any additional information. While it makes the book less stimulating it also makes it a quick and ea...more
A.F.
Nexus Point- The Fall of the Altairan Empire: Book One by Jaleta Clegg is a jaunty science fiction novel mixed well with a little romance, a little wit and a few skewed medieval legends; at times I half expected someone to show looking for the Holy Grail.

The plot details the trials of Captain Dace after her spaceship explodes and she makes a crash landing on the planet Dadilan, a world off-limits to outsiders. Right off the mark she is embroiled in the internal struggles of the planet and manag...more
Valerie
I enjoyed this book and I'm looking forward to the sequel.
My copy had some typos and a few places where the story seemed to 'skip' a little for me. However, I was reading an electronic copy, I might have clicked the page down twice or something, though I think I checked. I would recommend having someone do some checking/editing work on scene to scene shifts, especially someone who hasn't read the story, so they can spot any 'holes' in the story.
I loved the 'chase' scenes in the monastery, it so...more
Lynda Bester
Darcia Helle
I am not normally drawn to the sci-fi genre but, having read and loved two of Jaleta Clegg's short stories, I had to read her novel. Dace, the main character in Nexus Point, is completely lovable. She reminds me of a sci-fi version of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum character. She's tough but vulnerable and muddles her way through the disasters she finds herself caught up in.

This book moves at a fast pace and is full of action, a touch of romance, and unexpected humor. The only drawback for me...more
This was an interesting story with some interesting characters. I was happy to see Dace come a little more into her own by the end of the book after being dragged around from pillar to post throughout the whole story. I found that I kept desperately hoping for some sense of order or authority to make a presence. I will likely read the second book and see where the story goes. I think for me I could grow to really like it, or lose interest all together depending on how the story unfolds. I'm real...more
Kate L
People have been calling this book a "Space Opera." Well, I didn't really know what that term meant, so I looked it up, and many people seem to think it means a dramatic and epic space adventure. But really no one could agree on one definition anyway, and since I think that phrase is super cheesy, I will refrain from using it to describe Nexus Point. I really saw this book as what would happen if the Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises had a baby...

To see the complete review over at The Book...more
gert
loved, loved, loved this book.

you got your humour, you got your bad-ass, but flawed heroine. you got your nifty futuristic technology and life forms. throw in a little historical vibe (yes, historical AND futuristic in one book) and a fairly interesting story arc (a bit messy at time, btw) with a hero like this guy - and yes, its a good book.

the ending makes me wonder if this will become a series, not a cliff hanger per se (i hate those) but definitely open ended. and if the author is reading t...more
Stacy Juba
I grew up reading Robert A. Heinlein and the Star Wars novels, but somehow over the years I stopped reading science fiction. Nexus Point brought me back to those days and was an exciting read. It was well-written, full of wonderful descriptions and details that project the reader right into the story. Dace was a likeable character caught up in extraordinary circumstances. Fans of science fiction novels should love this book. Jaleta Clegg is a fresh new voice in the science fiction genre.
John
Young starship captain is stranded on a medieval world, and runs into a relentless series of intrigues, threats, dangers, captivities, last second rescues, and increasingly romantic encounters with an undercover Patrol agent. Lots of wry commentary and dialog. If I have any reservation, it's just that the main character(s) take humongous amounts of bodily damage, then undergo miraculous recoveries. But that's a minor thing....overall an enjoyable yarn.
Michael Miller
This review is from my teenage son. I will add my personal review once done reading this book.

Nexus Point is a very engaging book. Dace’s ship explodes and she ends up stuck on Dadilan, where there are people trying to kill her, no resources, and the Patrol. All she wants is to be off Dadilan. The combination of sci-fi, action, and adventure makes the book fun to read. I’m looking forward to the next book in the series!
Julie Powell
An unusual mix of science fiction and fantasy, which makes the story intriguing. The characters are believable, in that the reader can relate to the constant predicaments of Dace, and the recognisable mistakes made.

I don't give spoilers but will say that this story is a readable adventure, will an array of emotions that spark great interest in the characters.

Worth reading.
Sonja Herbert
That was a really nice read, even though it wasn't very polished. I'm still thinking about whether I want to read the sequel. I'm leaning toward doing so.
Linda
Enjoyed immensely, ordered sequel, read it now eagerly awaiting April release of book three!
Daron
A fast-paced, and very enjoyable sci-fi adventure. Highly recommended!
Taibre
Taibre marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Anamaria021
Anamaria021 marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Lucy
Lucy marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Knights of th...: Science fiction adventure novel 1 4 Jun 27, 2012 08:10AM
I've messed around with writing for years but didn't get too serious until lately. I write numerous genres including space opera, science fiction, fantasy, and comic horror. I've even dabbled in romance.

I've got quite a few short stories in print and I'm working on publishing my entire space opera series. Check out details at http://www.altairanempire.com and http://www.jaletac.com

My day job invol...more
More about Jaleta Clegg...
Priestess of the Eggstone Poisoned Pawn (The Fall of the Altairan Empire, #3) Wandering Weeds: Tales Of Rabid Vegetation Have You Seen Tarum? Dreamspell Fangs Volume 1 (Dreamspell Fangs Anthology)