Start by marking “The Family Tree” as Want to Read:
The Family Tree

The Family Tree

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Everybody has a book in them, or so the saying goes. For Kate Painter – wife, mother, freelance editor and aspiring writer – it's just a matter of finding a spare five minutes, a little peace and quiet... and something to write about.

When her cousin Angie announces she has a room to let, Kate's spur of the moment decision to move temporarily out of the
Published January 2010 by Pan MacMillian Australia (first published February 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Family Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Family Tree

Jayne Charles
This story of a middle-class mid-life crisis had plenty of interest for the reader, and yet I was constantly visited by the thought that, if all the sections concerning food were removed – the cooking, the barbecuing, the loading of forks, the pushing it round one’s plate and smearing it on faces, the whole thing could be reduced to a pamphlet. A very entertaining pamphlet, admittedly.

While most of the focus is on day to day family life – the bickering that goes on between teenagers, and low lev
When I read the summary at the back cover of this book which states “A rich portrait of a woman trying to find herself and her place in the world” and the preface in which Ilsa Evans writes “The Family Tree has its roots in a short story I wrote when coming to terms with the death of my own father”, this novel intrigued me very much.

The book is about Kate, a middle aged woman who is a freelance editor for a publishing company, but also a wife and a mother of three children and a grandchild who a
Anne Kelly
Thought this was an unbelievably realistic story of families and their fallibility. The writer drew a female lead that was coping on the surface but unable to process the sudden,shocking death of her father.Shows how we all are haunted by the past.
Nice, normal family stuff. Like her other books that I've read. This has the added mystery of her family. I like that her female characters are strong & relatable & willing to do what they need to. Not just wife /mothering

Being a Family a History buff, this book really appealed to me.
A really good easy read with all the ups and downs you would expect to uncover when looking into the family tree.
This book has a bit of everything and takes the reader on a ride through many emotional challenges in the search for truth and family peeks through keyholes to uncover previously unknown/unshared family relations and stirs up anxieties in family members not wanting to be noticed.

Sara Cole
I really enjoyed this book. It was easy to read and had me hooked from the beginning. It was nice to read a story that I could relate to - family life in the suburbs. And just like many families - the family in this story had been faced with tradgedy. The reader has the privledge of finding out how the main character copes with this as the author touches on some very sensitve topics. The most important theme I take from this book is the importance of families and the individual relationships we ...more
Jennifer Rolfe
I found this really interesting - embraced lots of family 'stuff' - grief, ageing, secrets, stories we tell our children, stories we don't tell our children, rejection, abandonment - it had it all!! It was well written and easy to read. I will now read more of her writing.
First time reading this author's work. Like her style of writing, thought provoking at times. Going to give her novels Broken and sequel Sticks and Stones a go next. Also Flying the coop sounds enjoyable reading.
I didn't finish this book. I just could not get into it. Felt it went nowhere fast.
Janelle marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2015
Jodie marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Leah Dow
Leah Dow marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Amanda Croydon
Amanda Croydon marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
David Brown
David Brown marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Rosie is currently reading it
May 10, 2015
Brenda Knight
Brenda Knight marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Lee Vereschildt
Lee Vereschildt marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Maryellen marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
book group discussion questions 1 3 Oct 16, 2013 02:09AM
Ilsa Evans is an Australian author. She has written across several genres from light fiction (such as the books that make up the 'laundry series') to more gritty social realism. Two of her books, Broken and Sticks and Stones stem from the findings of a PhD on the long-term effects of family violence that Ilsa completed in 2005. Ilsa teaches creative writing and carries out public speaking when she ...more
More about Ilsa Evans...