Start by marking “The Family Tree” as Want to Read:
The Family Tree

The Family Tree

3.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  58 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Everybody has a book in them, or so the saying goes. For Kate Painter – wife, mother, freelance editor and aspiring writer – it's just a matter of finding a spare five minutes, a little peace and quiet... and something to write about.

When her cousin Angie announces she has a room to let, Kate's spur of the moment decision to move temporarily out of the
Published January 2010 by Pan MacMillian Australia (first published February 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Family Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Family Tree

Jayne Charles
Sep 18, 2012 Jayne Charles rated it liked it
This story of a middle-class mid-life crisis had plenty of interest for the reader, and yet I was constantly visited by the thought that, if all the sections concerning food were removed – the cooking, the barbecuing, the loading of forks, the pushing it round one’s plate and smearing it on faces, the whole thing could be reduced to a pamphlet. A very entertaining pamphlet, admittedly.

While most of the focus is on day to day family life – the bickering that goes on between teenagers, and low lev
Christa
Jul 16, 2015 Christa rated it did not like it
When I read the summary at the back cover of this book which states “A rich portrait of a woman trying to find herself and her place in the world” and the preface in which Ilsa Evans writes “The Family Tree has its roots in a short story I wrote when coming to terms with the death of my own father”, this novel intrigued me very much.

The book is about Kate, a middle aged woman who is a freelance editor for a publishing company, but also a wife and a mother of three children and a grandchild who a
Anne Kelly
Mar 25, 2015 Anne Kelly rated it liked it
Thought this was an unbelievably realistic story of families and their fallibility. The writer drew a female lead that was coping on the surface but unable to process the sudden,shocking death of her father.Shows how we all are haunted by the past.
Rachael
Nice, normal family stuff. Like her other books that I've read. This has the added mystery of her family. I like that her female characters are strong & relatable & willing to do what they need to. Not just wife /mothering
Judy
Jun 01, 2016 Judy rated it really liked it
Light-hearted, humorous and well-written, this book held my interest to the end. It has even inspired me with my family tree story.
☼♄Jülie
Dec 26, 2013 ☼♄Jülie rated it liked it
3.5*s

Being a Family a History buff, this book really appealed to me.
A really good easy read with all the ups and downs you would expect to uncover when looking into the family tree.
This book has a bit of everything and takes the reader on a ride through many emotional challenges in the search for truth and family history....it peeks through keyholes to uncover previously unknown/unshared family relations and stirs up anxieties in family members not wanting to be noticed.

Rachel
Jan 10, 2016 Rachel rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book
Sara Cole
Jul 28, 2011 Sara Cole rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It was easy to read and had me hooked from the beginning. It was nice to read a story that I could relate to - family life in the suburbs. And just like many families - the family in this story had been faced with tradgedy. The reader has the privledge of finding out how the main character copes with this as the author touches on some very sensitve topics. The most important theme I take from this book is the importance of families and the individual relationships we ...more
Jennifer Rolfe
Nov 15, 2011 Jennifer Rolfe rated it liked it
I found this really interesting - embraced lots of family 'stuff' - grief, ageing, secrets, stories we tell our children, stories we don't tell our children, rejection, abandonment - it had it all!! It was well written and easy to read. I will now read more of her writing.
Deb
Dec 17, 2013 Deb rated it it was amazing
First time reading this author's work. Like her style of writing, thought provoking at times. Going to give her novels Broken and sequel Sticks and Stones a go next. Also Flying the coop sounds enjoyable reading.
Margi
Jun 10, 2012 Margi rated it it was ok
I didn't finish this book. I just could not get into it. Felt it went nowhere fast.
Isabel Isik
Isabel Isik marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Tania
Tania added it
Mar 26, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Jacalyn Templeton
Jacalyn Templeton marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Emilee
Emilee rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Catgirl (in Perth)
Catgirl (in Perth) marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2015
Zoe
Zoe rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2015
Bec Marshall
Bec Marshall rated it it was ok
Nov 12, 2015
Janelle
Janelle marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2015
Victoria Spicer-stuart
Victoria Spicer-stuart rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2015
Jodie
Jodie marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Belinda
Belinda rated it it was ok
Aug 20, 2015
Leah Dow
Leah Dow marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Helen
Helen rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2015
Amanda Croydon
Amanda Croydon marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
David Brown
David Brown marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
book group discussion questions 1 3 Oct 16, 2013 02:09AM
Ilsa Evans is an Australian author. She has written across several genres from light fiction (such as the books that make up the 'laundry series') to more gritty social realism. Two of her books, Broken and Sticks and Stones stem from the findings of a PhD on the long-term effects of family violence that Ilsa completed in 2005. Ilsa teaches creative writing and carries out public speaking when she ...more
More about Ilsa Evans...