Start by marking “The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Seventh Annual Collection” as Want to Read:
The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Seventh Annual Collection

The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Seventh Annual Collection (The Year's Best Science Fiction #27)

The thirty-two stories in this collection imaginatively take us far across the universe, into the very core of our beings, to the realm of the gods, and the moment just after now. Included here are the works of masters of the form and of bright new talents, including:

John Barnes, Elizabeth Bear, Damien Broderick, Karl Bunker, Paul Cornell, Albert E. Cowdrey, Ian Creasey, S
Published July 6th 2010 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Year's Best Science Fiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Year's Best Science Fiction

Eric
Apr 15, 2015 Eric rated it it was amazing
Some very good stories in here; among my favorites is Maureen McHugh's "Useless Things" -- an understated and somewhat grim story about things we do to get by. She's a good writer.

The solecisms strewn through the book are distracting. "Fair" for "fare"; multiple misuses of the possessive nominative pronoun -- it's for its. These stories deserve more respect, especially from an editor who, as the book jacket boasts, has received a Hugo Award for Best Editor "fifteen times".

On the other hand, edit
Philip Hollenback
I've read almost every one of the giant books in this series, and pretty much every one has been a solid and enjoyable collection of stories. This book did not disappoint.
Florin Constantinescu
Nov 09, 2016 Florin Constantinescu rated it did not like it
You know the year was bad for short science fiction works, when the Dozois anthology contains only two standout stories (the Wilson and the Singh) and a LOT of sub-par stories, many unreadables.
Dave
Dec 05, 2010 Dave rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Took me a while to get through this one, but I'm glad I did. It was like reading a science fiction magazine in which almost all of the stories were good!

Here were my favorites:

Vandana Singh: "Infinites"
Peter Watts: "The Island"
Elizabeth Bear & Sarah Monette: "Mongoose"
Albert E. Cowdrey: "Paradiso Lost"
James Van Pelt: "Solace"
Ian McDonald: "Vishnu at the Cat Circus"
Robert Charles Wilson: "Utriusque Cosmi"
John Kessel: "Events Preceding the Helvetican Revolution"
Ted Kosmatka & Michael Poore
Clay Brown
Feb 22, 2014 Clay Brown rated it liked it

I’ve been reading Gardner Dozois’ Years Best of Science Fiction tomes for a number of years. The truth is I believe I’ve missed the last two years of the series.

Well it appears that a lot can happen in two years. In this 27th Collection I was somewhat surprised by the tone and subject matter of Dozois’ collection.

Lately I’ve been hearing about a ‘sea change’ in science fiction writing. Young writers are coming into the field and they aren’t writing about space or robots as such. In many of the n
Stephen Thomas
Mammoth but woolly

When I was a kid, way back in the 70s, I devoured hundreds of SF novels. I loved the genre and still have a huge affection for it. But today I find it difficult to find contemporary SF writers that fill me with the sense of wonder achieved by the old masters (Dick, Delany, Farmer, Zelazny, to name but a few). So when I saw this I thought I’d give it a go in the hope that I might discover some new talent. It proved something of a disappointment. Although there are some good stor
Tim Pollard
On the whole I wasn't impressed with this. Out of 32 stories, there was one 5-star story (John C. Wright's "Twilight of the Gods"), six 4-star stories ("Mongoose" by Elizabeth Bear & Sarah Monette was the best of these, and almost made the 5-stars), eight 3-star stories, six 2-star stories, two 1-star stories, and nine stories I didn't finish (they where probably 1- & 2-star stories), and one of the 4-star stories, "Useless Things" by Maureen F. McHugh, was only debatably Science Fiction ...more
Megan
Oct 24, 2012 Megan rated it it was amazing
While the first few stories lag in interest and quality, most of this anthology is of excellent writing and thoughtfulness. The stories are written by a diverse group of authors, and to my pleasure the protagonists stretch across the range of human experience: women, women of color, men of color, and sexual minorities narrate and star alongside the straight white male staples of science fiction. This attention to diverse viewpoints offers an enriching and engaging spread of fiction for the ...more
Kim
Feb 10, 2011 Kim rated it it was amazing
Gardner Dozois' YBSF compilations are some of the best short story collections out there. I'm a huge fan of short fiction and of sci fi short fiction in particular and have been a long-time reader of this series. However, the past several years, I've fallen behind on reading YBSF collections because they're so giant and I can't easily cart them around with me. Hooray for e-books! I read through this from cover to cover and, although not every story was to my personal taste, I really enjoyed it. ...more
Magnus Itland
I bought this (well, the Kindle edition) to read the story "Infinities" by Vandana Singh. It had impressed a close online friend to the point of "wow".

To be honest, I don't feel this particular story was science fiction, as the only extraordinary part was the mathematician visiting the realm of mathematics physically (or so he believes) on two occasions. In the context, this is a religious experience more than anything, the character even compares it briefly to the Prophet being given a tour of
Brit Mandelo
Nov 29, 2010 Brit Mandelo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first thing I will say is that this is one big bastard of a book. The second is that I enjoyed it a great deal over a long period of time because of that--it's hard to go short story to short story with no breaks in between, and so this took longer than your average novel to read. As usual, Dozois picks some good stuff, and I skipped only one story (John C. Wright) in the whole thing. (That one for personal ethical reasons.)

So, also as usual, I'd recommend this collection for a huge honking
Janet Jay
I've truly never in my life read a book with anywhere near this many errors. I stopped counting at a dozen and there were quite a few more. Near the end it got super sloppy, with multiple times where 2 on one page were wrong, or three typos in a story, and just... wow. Pay your editors for the right amount of time or get some to do the job right, but this is absolutely embarrassing. (Actual review? A very mixed bag, as I'd expect for one this big, but I mostly enjoyed it. "Act One" by Nancy Kees ...more
Robert C.
Aug 18, 2014 Robert C. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This huuuge book took me nearly 2 years to read (off and on) but it was well worth the effort. I coughed up the full admission price for this one, which is rare for me, but it was good value for the 9.99 I paid.
Anything else I say would mean talking about individual stories, but because there are about 30 of them I just ain't gonna do that, but there's a good range - something for pretty much everyone. Read it yourself!
Ron
May 31, 2011 Ron rated it really liked it
As usual, the annual Dozois "best of" anthology has lots of great stories in it. I tend to pick and choose which stories to read in this annual series, since Dozois collects a wide range of sf stories, not all of which are to my taste; even so, there were over a dozen I thought were excellent, and a number more I considered very good. For a full table of contents, see its Wikipedia pg.
Paul
Jun 30, 2011 Paul rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
I gotta hand it to Dozois on this one. While there were a few duds (as I am now expecting in every anthology) I can see that Dozois made an honest attempt to represent the broad spectrum of current SF. I'm a picky SF reader (i.e. tend to like the hard stuff with superior writing skill) and I count 12 stories that were superb. Several others were good. I've already read Robert Charles Wilson's "Utriusque Cosmi" twice and I'm sure I'll read a few other stories a second time.
Steve
Oct 28, 2012 Steve rated it really liked it
Collects the best short science fiction of 2009, which seems like it was not that great a year for short fiction. The collection has a lot of good stories, but not a lot of great of memorable ones. My favorites were "The Island" by Peter Watts and "Vishnu at the Cat Circus" by Ian McDonald. As always, Dozois provides a good summary of the year in SF.
John Devlin
Aug 28, 2010 John Devlin rated it it was ok
Having read volumes 8-26 w/ a great deal of wonder( I look forward every year to the latest installment). I was sorely disappointed w/#27. Instead of making me wish for what would happen next, I was left wondering is that it? Perhaps this was a bad year for short fiction. Nevertheless, it will take several more years of weak fare to make me give up this yearly treat.
Ellen (Elf TajMuttHall) Finch
Pre-read observation: It's now sitting on my to-read shelf. I have read every one of these books cover to cover (although I'm a few years behind, just now reading 22nd). They're not all to my taste, but they're all readable and well written and I appreciate that Dozois has to cover a great deal of ground to ensure that everyone's ideas about what's the best will appear.
Alan
Paradiso Lost - Albert E Cowdrey
Twilight of the Gods - John C Wright
Lord Humungus
Feb 07, 2012 Lord Humungus rated it liked it
Overall, solid stuff. Unlike some years, where some exceptional works are included, this collection had many works I felt were good but not outstanding, and I think this was the majority of the stories. Some of these stories I'd already read in New Space Opera (also edited by Dozois).
Crescentm
Aug 26, 2014 Crescentm rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read a few short stories so far and could not understand how this could be the year's best. I'm still plodding through in the hopes that they left the best stories for later in the book.

I couldn't finish this book. I had to stop.
Gevera Bert
Jun 07, 2011 Gevera Bert rated it really liked it
Out of this whole collection, I LOVED one story (Mongoose) and disliked one (Twilight of the Gods). The most disappointing thing was the poor proofreading. Tons of misspellings, typos, homonyms & missing words. Can't remember that problem in any previous collection.
Erik
Dec 06, 2010 Erik rated it it was ok
Couple of winners, bunch of real dopey stories too and some just mediocre hack stuff. Is this really the best out there, I doubt it. So far I liked Utriusque Cosmi, Black Swan, Things Undone, the Island, Escape to Other Worlds with Science Fiction, Solace.
Mark W.

Hair
Vishnu at the Cat Circus
Jeff
Jun 09, 2011 Jeff rated it liked it
read maybe half of these before I had to take it back to the library. Very little here really grabbed me, but I liked the stories well enough.
Bug
Sep 10, 2010 Bug is currently reading it
Over the past few years I have had an increasing appreciation for short stories. Maybe the fit my hectic schedule? Anyhow these are great collections, excited to have a new one
James
Jan 21, 2011 James rated it it was amazing
Essential reading for any science fiction fan. There is guaranteed to be quite a few stories in this selection that will leave you in a haze.
Thomas
Jun 23, 2013 Thomas rated it liked it
Particular favorites: Peter Watts' "The Island", Albert E. Cowdrey's "Paradiso Lost", and Nicola Griffith's "It Takes Two."
Jim Gleeson
Jul 19, 2010 Jim Gleeson rated it it was amazing
I consider this book to be my "dessert" of the year. It takes me about a month to read, because it runs about 30+ stories, and some of them take more time to read than others.
Larry Koester
Jul 22, 2013 Larry Koester rated it liked it
Too many of the stories seemed more like pointless episodes to me rather than short stories. But I did enjoy some of the.
  • Year's Best SF 14
  • The Mammoth Book of Apocalyptic SF
  • The Mammoth Book of Alternate Histories
  • Eclipse Four: New Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Lightspeed: Year One
  • The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction
  • A Science Fiction Omnibus
  • The Best Horror of the Year Volume Three
  • Best New Horror 23 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #23)
  • Shine: An Anthology of Optimistic Science Fiction
  • Nebula Awards Showcase 2010
  • The Year's Best Dark Fantasy & Horror 2010
  • The Fredric Brown MEGAPACK ®: 33 Classic Science Fiction Stories
  • Darwin's Bastards: Astounding Tales from Tomorrow
12052
Gardner Raymond Dozois (born July 23, 1947) is an American science fiction author and editor. He was editor of Asimov's Science Fiction magazine from 1984 to 2004. He has won multiple Hugo and Nebula awards, both as an editor and a writer of short fiction.
Wikipedia entry: Gardner R. Dozois

More about Gardner R. Dozois...

The Year's Best Science Fiction (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: First Annual Collection