Start by marking “Help Yourself: Celebrating the Daily Rewards of Resilience and Gratitude” as Want to Read:
Help Yourself: Celebrating the Daily Rewards of Resilience and Gratitude

Help Yourself: Celebrating the Daily Rewards of Resilience and Gratitude

Dave Pelzer is on record in California for being the victim of one of the most horrific cases of child abuse and neglect in its history. Now Dave is happily married, a father himself, named one of the 10 Outstanding Young Persons in America, and a bestselling author. Many of the millions of people whom he has inspired with his personal story have asked, "How did you do it? ...more
Published October 1st 2000 by Dutton Adult (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Help Yourself, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Help Yourself

Tim Chavel
Nov 16, 2012 Tim Chavel rated it liked it
Dave Pelzer has an amazing story. His previous books,"A Child Called It," "The Lost Boy," and "A Man Called Dave" tell of his severe abuse at the hands of his Mom. The stories he tells in those books are almost unbelievable. This book is a self help book based on the things he learned to overcome that abuse. He has several good points and also has some I disagree with. I highly recommend his previous books and then you can decide if you would like to read this one. Keep in mind he discusses a fe ...more
Angie
Sep 22, 2014 Angie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a big self-help book person, at least that's my impression from reading part of this book (I couldn't finish it--only 70ish pages through I quit). I'm sure it's helpful to someone! I enjoyed his autobiographical books, but of his 3 (I think) self-help books, this is the only one I've started reading. Maybe due to my negative response to the speech he gave for our human services company (he was quite arrogant and dismissive that anybody's problems should affect their behaviors in a lastin ...more
Cassandra
Nov 14, 2015 Cassandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work-self-help
So far I really like this book. I've enjoyed reading most every book by him. I'm only a third of the way through and so far I love it; I would highly recommend all of his books.
Leanne
Simply the truth told simply from someone who rose above all odds. It helps me gain perspective and stop whining.
Sexy
Oct 02, 2012 Sexy rated it did not like it
Despite not liking most of all of this book and especially the opinions and views of Dave Pelzer, I would have to give him credit where credit is due. Dave Pelzer is not the type of man to sit around and let the world happen to him, he happens to the world.

I'm not a fan of, 'self-help', books and my choice in buying such a book titled, "Help Yourself", seems more of an exercise in affirming what I already figured. If you're looking for help, ultimately it is up to you. There are times in our lif
Marilynda
Sep 02, 2009 Marilynda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the last self help book I have read or will ever need or want to read. After reading this book years ago this book help me realize we all have our own trials to go through; some are done to us and others we create ourselves. Each day do something for yourslef and something for others. Each of these need not be shared with anyone but often will give you a boost and share commonality with our world and just may provide you with inner peace.
Liz
Jan 07, 2016 Liz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who are angry about being hurt
Do you want to be more than a passive victim? Do memories of hurtful experiences have too much power over you? The horrific examples from the author's own childhood establish that he is an authority on how to 'help yourself'. I found the book memorable - not because the ideas were new - but because the author's credibility, based one his own experiences, make it difficult to ignore his good advice.
Debbie
I love self help books and this is a good one. Simple to the point words of wisdom, to help you move past the hurt, the guilt, the blaming of yourself. A book that helps you get on the road to letting go and learning to live and love again.
Azmir Ismail
Dec 22, 2011 Azmir Ismail rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book for those who want guidance in dealing with a painful past. Even though Dave writes about his experiences, his journey in overcoming the despair, sadness and cruelty shows the things that he did to come out of his painful past. I liked his frank acknowledgement of his past and how he chose to rise above it. A recommended read :)
Booksdingle
Dec 13, 2010 Booksdingle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book is really good - not read his other books but there are extracts throughout this that relate to what has happened to him how he coped then and how he overcame - powerful and thought provoking, made me wonder how someone can overcome such horrific abuse and still be so positive and have made a success of life - inspiring
Chip
Jan 15, 2010 Chip rated it it was ok
Couldn't finish it; too repetitive. I'm sure it has a good message but it seemed lost on me, at least after the third or fourth iteration. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I wasn't getting it from this book so I'm surrendering now...
Stephanie
I heard him speak once and was totally inspired to move on from the broken relationships in my life. His book isn't quite as captivating as he was in person, but still I find it helpful in validating my right to respect in a relationship.
Linda
Jan 05, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is difficult to imagine the abuse the author suffered at the hands of his adoptive mother, but extremely encouraging that he has had a successful life in spite of it. Although a little preachy at times, I found the book inspiring.
Kholsu
Sep 07, 2010 Kholsu marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
i really need to read this
the reviews seem (you either like it or you dont) in my case its positive and up my ally, i think this could be my answer for few things am facing at present.

am so keen to get my hands on a copy :)
Rachael Chavez
Nov 25, 2013 Rachael Chavez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eye opening g

I would say the terrible things he endured as a child would have broken the strongest of the strong. his story is heart warming and makes you really look at yourself and ask, is it that bad?
Cheryl
Jul 26, 2012 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing man...truly resilient. He should have his picture next to the word in the dictionary and ever since reading this book every
time I hear the word Resilient I think of Dave.
Tori
Apr 22, 2008 Tori rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!!
Shelves: self-help
This book absolutely changed my life. I highlighted passages, took notes, the whole nine yards. It was the kick in the a$$ I needed to get my life on track.
Jolee B
After reading all of his other books, this one was not quite as helpful, but still a great book to show ways of finding courage and happiness.
Amanda Trost
Nov 27, 2007 Amanda Trost rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
This is Dave Pelzer's self help book. A good read for anyone. He shares a lot of advice that is useful for any situation.
Rylan Perrott
Aug 09, 2011 Rylan Perrott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really inspiring stuff. Has opened my eyes to new perspectives and has provided a much needed kick up the ass.!
Peg
May 17, 2009 Peg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
excellent book, especially for those people trying to find a better way to live life and interact with people.
Kate
Dec 01, 2007 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
my mom thought i needed a self help book. my downward spiral continued so i'm not sure it helped all that much.
Heidi
Sep 02, 2012 Heidi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think it is a very good read. Glad to see someone in this situation actually is trying to help others.
Robert C.
Better than all the other books by this author that describe.. stuff, because this is actually helpful.
Kayelyn
A good refresher for those who are healthy and a great gift to those who are working to be.
Danni
Dec 19, 2012 Danni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a sad book, but the guy really pulled himself up and got on with life. It was admirable.
Lee Anne
Been on my shelf for years. Self-help book. Skimmed. Pretty lightweight & typical.
Kirsten
Sep 15, 2011 Kirsten rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
He was a very inspiritional reading and it really opened my eyes to better myself.
Jessie
Jan 08, 2013 Jessie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book everyone should read. I enjoyed it very much and learned a lot about myself.
Sophia Dorfman
This was ok . It discussed ways that he dealt with his past and present life.
  • A Teenager's Journey
  • The Power of Resilience: Achieving Balance, Confidence, and Personal Strength in Your Life
  • A Resilient Life: You Can Move Ahead No Matter What
  • Ten Days to Self-Esteem
  • The Trauma Myth: The Truth About the Sexual Abuse of Children--and Its Aftermath
  • The Simple Life
  • The Optimistic Child
  • After Silence: Rape & My Journey Back
  • Surviving Survival: The Art and Science of Resilience
  • Lifetimes: A Beautiful Way to Explain Life and Death to Children
  • The Resilience Factor: 7 Keys to  Finding Your Inner Strength and Overcoming Life's Hurdles
  • Children Who Have Lived Before: Reincarnation Today
  • Life in Rewind
  • The EFT Manual
An author best known for his 1995 memoir of childhood abuse, A Child Called It.

At the age of 12, Dave was removed from an abusive home and placed in a series of foster homes. In 1979, he joined the Air Force and later became an author of memoirs and self-improvement books.
More about Dave Pelzer...

“Whatever you do, do something positive.” 2 likes
“The only way to keep your head above water is to convince yourself you are going to make it.” 2 likes