Start by marking “Not Quite A Lady (Carsington Brothers, #4)” as Want to Read:
Not Quite A Lady (Carsington Brothers, #4)

Not Quite A Lady (Carsington Brothers #4)

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,975 Ratings  ·  189 Reviews
Irresistible Force

Darius Carsington is a spectacularly handsome rake with a rare intelligence and no heart, a man who divides his time between bedding loose-moraled women and writing scholarly papers. He finds society's "perfect darlings" exceedingly boring. But there's something intriguing, and not quite perfect, about faultless Lady Charlotte Hayward. He senses a crack u
Published April 24th 2007 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Not Quite A Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not Quite A Lady

Dina
Jun 10, 2011 Dina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dina by: Beanbag Love
Having enjoyed every book by Ms. Chase I've read so far, I'm always a bit wary when I start reading a new (to me) release. I mean, I can't possibly love everything she writes, so I can't help thinking the book I'm about to read is going to be "the dreadful one", the one that doesn't live up to my expectations... Well, I'm happy to say that this isn't "the one" yet. Phew! :)

This is the 4th book in the Carsington Brothers series, and it's youngest brother Darius' turn to find his HEA.

Darius Carsin
Lady Wesley
Mar 28, 2016 Lady Wesley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened, aud-rev
Review of the audiobook.

4.5 stars because there are a few plot holes, but really, it's Loretta Chase so how bad could it be?

I am blessed with a poor memory. I say "blessed" because this means that I can read a book for a second time and not remember what's going to happen next. Saves me a lot of money on buying new books.

Anyway, I read Not Quite a Lady three years ago and gave it four stars. Kate Reading's narration was, as usual, spot on, so I bumped up my rating a bit. Truly, Kate Reading is t
Jacob Proffitt
This book is interesting, but problematic. And I don't mean because Charlotte starts the book by having a baby when seventeen—ten years before the book really starts. That's actually a large part of the interesting. The problematic was more because of Darius.

Charlotte didn't hang together terribly well, either, frankly. Yeah, she's no longer a virgin, but putting off suitors for ten years in fear of discovery seems rather . . . contrived. She's clever and used to misdirecting men and her hang-up
Lady Wesley
Feb 26, 2015 Lady Wesley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read and enjoyed all of the other Carsington Brothers' stories, and this one was just as good as the others. Darius and Charlotte are a fun, passionate hero and heroine. Charlotte's story, in particular, is rather sad, but Darius brings her out of her funk. There is a pretty over-the-top plot twist toward the end, but it's all written so movingly that I can't find too much fault with it.
Wollstonecrafthomegirl

So, Not Quite A Lady, or, How To Fall In Love In Five Easy Pratfalls.

Seriously. There are a lot of pratfalls in this book. The background music in my head was that ricocheting gunshot sound they’d play every time Wile E. Cayote nearly doesn’t fall off the cliff but then for various comic reasons, does.

If you think about this book too hard, or, at all, really, you will realise how flawed it is. Silly me, I have thought about it. As a consequence, it’s dropped from four stars to three.

Let me sta
Meredith Galman
Oct 29, 2007 Meredith Galman rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I rather enjoyed Chase's Mr. Impossible, so I thought I'd seek out a few other titles. Too bad I forgot this review [http://www.smartbitchestrashybooks.co...] before I mooched this one. Chase has set up what is actually quite an interesting situation -- an unmarried Regency-era woman is forced to acknowledge that she bore an illegitimate child before she can marry -- but everything is too easy: the way the hero and heroine both get over themselves so they can come together, the way they find th ...more
Claudia
Oct 31, 2015 Claudia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
31.10.2015

I just re-read this book and still love it. It is such a sweet story
Wendy
Feb 14, 2016 Wendy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ruth
Another lovely book in this series. It does look at a set of circumstances which were probably relatively common for a period when the virginity of women not of the serving classes was revered.

I love the style of this book - written almost like a treatise studying the mating habits of humans or an anthropological dissertation. It's quite different.

However, as much as I thought the hero was interesting, I couldn't understand why his parents thought him such a hopeless case. He didn't seem to act
Erin
Jun 02, 2009 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I think this is not one of Chase's best efforts. This book just never quite gets all the way there. Darius is supposed to be this insufferable rake, but there's not really any evidence of it, beyond the characters telling us repeatedly that he is. The only woman who ever even enters his thoughts in the whole novel is Charlotte, and once they meet, hardly anything is made of his alleged history of bedding and abandoning women. He also has a Vulcan-esque reliance on logic in the early parts of the ...more
Ticktock
This was the only Carsington I didn't like. So we are told Darius is apparently this huge rake (isn't every hero, at this point?) but that didn't jive with the impression his chapters gave me. It never felt like a believable part of his character, since we never see him anywhere but in the country not being a huge rake. But really, this one was killed for me when the heroine (WHO HAS HAD HER LIFE RUINED BY BEARING A CHILD OUT OF WEDLOCK AS A TEEN!) is like, "Oh, unprotected sex! That's cool! Tha ...more
Calisto
Le sigh. After two fun Carsington books, this was a MAJOR disappointment. Didn't like the characters (hero and heroine were flat, didn't care about their romance), didn't like her 'painful' past, didn't like plot or the orphaned, fresh from the workhouse moppet (I mean really? REALLY!) and it didn't take long for me to start skimming, then actually lemmed several chapters.

(I actually found the stepmom to be a more interesting character and think her romance, her dealing with the heroine's dumba
Kathrynn
This book had little to mild suspense, but the characters and writing style kept me interested. Charlotte was well loved by her family, but hiding from a personal secret that prevented her from marrying--even though she was fast approaching the age of 30! There were really no "villians," "no bodice ripping," this was just a good 'ole historal romance, nicely written, too. Poor Darius, didn't have a chance.
steph
Not my favorite of the bunch. If I could have, I would have given it 2.5 stars but since I couldn't and it IS LC, I bumped it up to three. Everything was too predictable and too coincidental and came together perfectly. It didn't feel real. However, I did enjoy seeing the familiar family members again.
Lindsay
Feb 09, 2016 Lindsay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I began reading this without the highest of expectations. Having previously read and been disappointed by Scandal Wears Satin, I wasn't at all sure that I hadn't already managed to read all of the best Loretta Chase has to offer. I am pleased to report that, while this isn't among my very favorites, it was also not disappointing to me at all. In fact, a lot about it was really sweet and charming. It's not without faults- there is the need to suspend some disbelief in a big way here. How did Cha ...more
Katie
I wouldn't have finished this except it was the fourth book in a series and I knew I wanted to read the fifth. Maybe I shouldn't have anyway because it was one of those books that my brain just seemed to gloss over. What happened in it? WHO KNOWS? Not me, the person who just finished it.

Partially, I blame the Eloisa James series I just finished. The James series set up the romances at a somewhat slow pace, so it was very shocking for the romance in this book to start right away!

And then it seeme
Ana T.
May 13, 2008 Ana T. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
IRRESISTIBLE FORCE
Darius Carsington is a spectacularly handsome rake with a rare intelligence and no heart, a man who divides his time between bedding loose-moraled women and writing scholarly papers. He finds society's “perfect darlings”....exceedingly boring. But there’s something intriguing, and not quite perfect, about faultless Lady Charlotte Hayward. He senses a crack under her polished surface, and finding it is a temptation he can’t resist.

IMMOVABLE OBJECT
Lady Charlotte is so beautiful,
Kay Bolton
Jun 30, 2013 Kay Bolton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical Romance Fans
Shelves: 4-star

Review taken from my Blog post (#38) back in November 2010:

This one followed on - although I am not sure sequentially in her writing - from the 'Miss Wonderful' book earlier this month.

The story of one of the younger brothers of Alistair Carsington, Darius and the already deflowered and dishonoured Lady Charlotte Hayward.

Darius is told by his Father, Lord Hargate, that he is a drain on not only the family resources, but the family honour and must take a property just out of Chancery and make a p
Dawn
May 18, 2013 Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
LaFleurBleue
Dec 16, 2013 LaFleurBleue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not the perfect book and cannot reach the 5-star keeper status, because part of the plot relies on improbable coincidence. However it provided me with a delightful and entertaining read. I liked that for once there was no villain in this story. I really liked that characters, even secondary, showed care and attention for the others or even love and affection. I liked all main characters, but especially Charlotte and her underhanded tactics to steer gentlemen's attention elsewhere were in ...more
Addicted2Luv
Sep 24, 2008 Addicted2Luv rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romance Readers
This is a moving yet sometimes humorous story about love and emotional growth. It is a romance between a woman with a deep, dark secret from her past and an Earl’s younger son whose family felt he didn’t really care about anyone. During the course of this story, the hero grows emotionally into a man who cares very deeply for the heroine and will protect her from her past at all cost, and the heroine learns to love deeply and to trust.

The characters are immensely likeable. The heroine is endeari
Barbara
Nov 18, 2009 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 Stars...I really liked it

This 4 Star rating isn't a Holy Moly I have to add it right now to my favorites list or a I've got to go tomorrow to buy the previous three in the series (which I will probably never ever do) ...but it was a solid 4 Star read. It had everything we look for when we pick up a book....chemistry, mystery, chemistry, great characters, a very different storyline and did I mention chemistry?! The love scenes weren't the steamiest of all time, and Mrs. Chase left a lot to the
Jess
I genuinely cannot remember if I've read this before. Parts of it seemed very familiar, but others didn't, and I'm going to err on the side of I didn't.

Anyway, this is definitely the weakest of Carsington books, which isn't to say that it doesn't have good points, but it doesn't live up to the standard set by the others. My favorite part of the series as a whole, I think, is how different each of the brothers is and Darius is no exception. Matter-of-fact dude of science gets knocked on his ass b
k8inorbit
Tressa
Dec 07, 2008 Tressa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This is the fourth book in the Carsington brothers series. I have discovered that, so far, the descriptions on the back of Loretta Chase's books do not convey the breadth of emotion contained within the books. Like her previous books that I have read (and which I will review in the near future), Not Quite a Lady is a delightful story about two people falling in love.

Both characters, Charlotte and Darius, are interesting and fully developed. They each have their own motivations, their own flaws,
Amanda Westmont
Jul 21, 2009 Amanda Westmont rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I adore everything Loretta Chase writes.

I did have ONE small issue with it, however: the appearance of the magic hoo-hoo. The hero somehow MAGICALLY transforms from scandalous rake into perfect gentleman after only a single romp in the sack with the heroine. I felt like his transformation needed more development than that. He was TOO good and perhaps my least favorite of the Carsington brothers.

However, I really enjoyed the protagonist in this one and the fact that she was a
Ang
Sep 08, 2015 Ang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was very good! Loved the H/h and their banter and their stories - highly recommend.
Yune
May 27, 2009 Yune rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to a recommendation, I tried this book of Chase's after bouncing off a different one. And I liked it! The hero has scientific leanings and the heroine isn't a virgin. There's even a benevolent stepmother. And dirty laundry.

I think the novelty won me over more than anything else, but it did have one passage that utterly hooked me on the strength of its writing, and as a bonus, it was during a scene of intense sexual tension.

Best if you have a weakness for couples who start off at odds for
Jacqueline
I quite enjoyed this book. It sucked me right in. The writing as always from LC was very good and flowing. The plot made sense. I liked the set up of a young woman in the 19th century falling for a cad and having a baby which she has to give up for adoption to avoid scandal. I liked the way the heroine was honest with the hero and his reaction to her. There were some coincidences but hey it's a romance. The secondary characters were also well done and the other man developed in unexpected ways. ...more
  • Tempted All Night (Neville Family, #4)
  • His at Night
  • Shattered Rainbows (Fallen Angels, #5)
  • The Devil's Waltz
  • Like No Other Lover (Pennyroyal Green, #2)
  • Midsummer Moon
  • The Black Hawk (Spymasters, #4)
  • Unraveled (Turner, #3)
  • The Leopard Prince (Princes Trilogy, #2)
  • A Lady Awakened (Blackshear Family, #1)
  • Always a Temptress (Drake's Rakes #3)
  • Bound by Your Touch
  • Lord of Sin (Seducers spin-off, #1)
Loretta Lynda Chekani was born in 1949, of Albanian ancestry. For her, the trouble started when she learned to write in first grade. Before then, she had been making up her own stories but now she knew how to write them down to share. In her teenage years, she continue to write letters, keep a journal, write poetry and even attempt the Great American Novel (still unfinished). She attended New Engl ...more
More about Loretta Chase...

Carsington Brothers (5 books)
  • Miss Wonderful (Carsington Brothers, #1)
  • Mr. Impossible (Carsington Brothers, #2)
  • Lord Perfect  (Carsington Brothers, #3)
  • Last Night's Scandal (Carsington Brothers #5)

“I mean to court you, yes,” he went on. “But in these
coming days I am determined as well to find a way to ease your heart.”
It took her a moment to answer, because the heart he spoke of was so full. “You’re a shockingly
good man,” she said at last. She mustered a smile. “Perhaps I’d better say yes and have done with it. I’
ve never had any trouble resisting men’s lures—at least not since that first time—but so much kindness is
beyond me.”
“No, I want a hearty yes,” he said. “No questions, no doubts. I am determined to make you
believe your life will be a desert—utterly unlivable without me.”
1 likes