Under the Fang (The Horror Writers of America)

Under the Fang (The Horror Writers of America)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  634 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Paperback: 336 pages
Publisher: Pocket (July 1, 1991)
Language: English
Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Published August 1st 1991 by Pocket Books (first published 1991)

Baby Teeth by Dan RabartsFresh Fear by William CookRead the End First by Suzanne RobbHorror for Good by Mark ScioneauxZippered Flesh by Weldon Burge
Best Horror Anthologies
60th out of 273 books — 482 voters
Twilight by Stephenie MeyerInterview With The Vampire by Anne RiceEclipse by Stephenie MeyerDracula by Bram StokerNew Moon by Stephenie Meyer
Vampire books...
128th out of 370 books — 590 voters

More lists with this book...

Jess Haines
Nearly every story within this book is powerful and compelling in its own right. I’ll address each individual story, but overall this is one of my favorite anthologies. It’s dark, it’s gritty, and it doesn’t hold back on addressing some of the darker aspects of humanity. This book is not for those with a weak stomach, because there are descriptions and situations in it that could very well have you throwing up in your mouth a little. Think Stephen King’s THE BACHMAN BOOKS–particularly the story...more
Angela
A terrific (in every sense of the word) collection of short stories on a vampire theme by a variety of Horror writers, such as Nancy A. Collins, J.N. Williamson, Charles de Lint, and many more. The entire world is ruled by vampires, and these are their stories...

Check out the Suzy McKee Charnas and Chelsea Quinn Yarbro collaboration, in which their respective creations, Edward Weyland and le Comte de Saint Germain, meet at last. But check it out in your own copy because I can't bear to part with...more
Terence
Another read from my lost youth :-) This was during my "vampire" phase in my mid to late teens.

As usual with an anthology, it's a mixed bag. As I remember, most of the stories were OK; some stank. The primary draw was that all the stories depicted a world under the control of vampires in some way.
Raoul
The collection would get three stars if it weren´t for these two stories:

The Miracle Mile - Robert R. McCammon

Duty - Ed Gorman

Stacy Simpson
This was as book with a bunch of short stories about vampires. Vampires are really not my thing so you can tell where I am going to go with this.

A few of the stories were well done mostly the one by Robert Mccammon but it does give some interesting views to how other people view vampirism.

After reading this I was less than thrilled with it so it will be on its way to another destination but it still leaves me to wonder why people are attracted to becoming a vampire? They drink blood which is app...more
Heather Sheehan benedict
Read this a looooong time ago. A collection of short stories. Was totally fascinated by the vision of what the vampire genre could be. Prior to reading this, I read this I was only familiar with Dracula type vampire stories. Lots of scifi woven in the vampire horror.

Also, has a Yarbro St. Germaine story. I read this years and years before I discovered his series so I didn't recognize it at the time.
Tony
A real wonderful short story collection published by the Horror Writers of America (HWA). The underlying premise of all the stories is that vampires have risen and are now in control of the world. The tales themselves come from multiple viewpoints, from survivors, freedom fighters, and even the vampires themselves. A really wonderful collection, and worth reading by anyone into vampire horror fiction.
Donna
Book 14 in RYOB challenge and book 3 in R.I.P. Challenge.
This is a collection of short stories based on the premise of vampires taking over the world. I have to say it was very hit and miss. some of the stories are interesting, but quite a few are horrible. I've discovered short stories are great to read before bed, I can finish one before falling asleep.
Angela
I read this so long ago I just remember liking it. It seems I did mark my favorites in my copy. Calm Sea and Prosperous Voyage by Chet Williamson, Midnight Sun by Brian Hodge, and Prodigal Sun by Thomas F. Monteleone. I may have to re-read this anthology one of these days
Martin Rose
I read this book when I was still a teenager. The only story I remember clearly is Herrenrasse by J. N. Williamson; for some reason, it blotted the others out of my head and had a staying power that lasted with me for years. I've never forgotten it.
Loren Toddy
Found this book in a used book store and it looked like a fun book to read over the summer. It was. I loved the different interpretations of Vampires. From the "french" Anne Rice versions to the monsters that we all know that they are.
Ally
One of my all time favorite books of short stories. The world of vampires that the authors create, all separate, but all blending together so well - it creates an excellent read for the imagination.
Charles
A very fine horror collection, about a world ruled by vampires. One of the best stories is "Does the Blood Line Run on Time?" by Sidney Wiliams and Robert Petitt.
Anji
Aug 26, 2012 Anji rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: horror
Fab! I loved the stories! Although....I don't think reading it whilst I was camping beside a lake in France helped my nights pass smoothly...lol!
Kurt Vosper
Collection of short stories about life when vampires take over the world. Great read for vampire lit fans.
Brian Sammons
Back when vampires weren't all whiny, emo, misunderstood sex symbols.
Dan Beliveau
I only picked this up to read the story by Robert McCammon. It was great!
Brett
Apr 14, 2008 Brett added it
Horror,Anthology
Michael Fierce
Michael Fierce marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Robert Martinez
Robert Martinez marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
  • Midnight Graffiti
  • Hot Blood: Tales of Erotic Horror (Hot Blood, #1)
  • Borderlands 1
  • Prime Evil: New Stories by the Masters of Modern Horror
  • Dark Forces: New Stories of Suspense and Supernatural Horror
  • From the Borderlands: Stories of Terror and Madness (Borderlands, # 5)
  • The Best Horror of the Year Volume One
  • The Ultimate Dracula: New Stories by Some of the World's Leading Authors
  • 100 Hair-Raising Little Horror Stories
  • Vampire Junction
  • My Work is Not Yet Done: Three Tales of Corporate Horror
Robert Rick McCammon was a full-time horror writer for many years. After taking a hiatus for his family, he returned to writing with an interest in historical fiction.

A new contemporary novel, The Five, was published in May 2011 by Subterranean Press.

The Hunter from the Woods, a collection of novellas and stories featuring Michael Gallatin, the main character from The Wolf's Hour, was published as...more
More about Robert McCammon...
Swan Song Boy's Life The Wolf's Hour They Thirst Mine