Start by marking “Obsession: An Erotic Tale” as Want to Read:
Obsession: An Erotic Tale
Preview

Obsession: An Erotic Tale

2.06 of 5 stars 2.06  ·  rating details  ·  127 ratings  ·  39 reviews
The marriages of desire . . .

From the multitalented and versatile Gloria Vanderbilt comes a passionate, sensual, witty, and puzzling tale of erotic obsession, beauty, and revenge, told in tandem by two women obsessed with the same man—and, ultimately, with each other.

Talbot Bingham is a renowned architectural genius who, with his formidable wife, Priscilla, creates an arc
Published June 23rd 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Obsession, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Obsession

Kelly
I wanted to like this book, if for no other reason than simply because of all the catty and immature reviews on this site. Unfortunately, though their grade school reactions were hilarious, some had a point. This book was terrible. Think of an episode of Real Sex populated by the cast of "Bridges of Madison County" and narrated by a drunk, horny Stephanie Meyer. You'd think it would at least be amusing by how awful it truly was and how awkward the "erotica" was, but the writing was SO bad that i ...more
Evan
Hubby, famous architect, is dead. Wife goes through personal effects. Voila! A cache of letters tied together with magenta grosgrain ribbon...The dirty secrets therein...
Despite all of the reviews here to the contrary, this is actually quite well written, and surprisingly thoughtful at times. Vanderbilt writes about the kind of people she knows: rich and beautiful and popular; and about the sorts of expensive material goods she no doubt posesses in abundance. It's kind of her erotic Gatsby. The
Amanda Ishtayeh
If you have to tell me more than twice that someone has waxed their privates in a book that is under 150 pages that is not erotica it is just stupid. YucK!
Wow. That was awful. I only read 5 pages and knew it was awful and I should have stopped after that, but then I skimmed it to see if there were any good sexy bits, as it was an "erotic tale", but it sucked. And not the good "erotic tale" kind of suck.
KomalKaur
Awful. It has a fragmented story, a undeveloped main man and a naive leading lady. Also, the author needs to look up what "Erotic" means. What I read was bland and at times disgusting, skimming over erotic and going for explicit. Not a good read.
Cynthia
I do not read much erotic books but I won the book so....
I have to say I liked it. I did not expect Gloria Vanderbilt to write such a book but as for this book she did it with class. Thumbs up
Kristin
was okay. A little confusing as to who was "narrating". And the ending was kinda dumb.
Sophia
Reading Obsession is like dining at a fancy restaurant. First there's the anticipation from the buzz: "Octogenarian heiress with a history of four marriages and affairs with notable men writes an erotic novel." Priscilla Bingham loses her famous architect husband Talbot at their tenth anniversary party to a massive heart attack, only to find among his papers letters wrapped in magenta grosgrain ribbon from his maitresse. A mysterious, sensual women named Bee had been chosen by Talbot from an exc ...more
Virginia
Saw Anderson Cooper say that his mother asked him to proof a book she had written and he was a little embarrassed reading it. I remembered I had this one in my "to-read" pile and decided to see how embarrassed I would be. The book switches between the author and the main character as narrators without any signal. That was hard to follow. Then it goes from reality to dreams. The end was kind of weird. I guess I'm supposed to see that the obsession had ended, but it just wasn't enough for me.
Briana
I was confused as I read this book. I found it difficult to separate reality from the dreams of these two women. The language made it flow but also made it difficult to understand. My first impression is that both women were to high or drunk to see reality and that's the only way they could deal with the guilt. Also that they were both too stupid to place blame where it should so they directed the anger and blame at each other. Anyone have some insight on something I'm missing?
Kelly
Oh my God. I don't know if I have to word to express how VERY VERY BAD this book is. I've read better sex in fanfiction. I've WRITTEN better sex in fanfiction, and I'm not even that good of a fanfiction writer. The sex is cliched, the set-up is unelievable, the overall writing is terrible. I'm assuming the only reason this got published is because her name is Gloria Vanderbilt.
Lee Ann
Awful. The saltpeter of erotica. Confusing. Overwrought on the non-naughty bits. Skimpy on the naughty bits.

Do NOT buy or read this book. Save your time and money.

I will be processing my trauma at a public skewering of this book at Say Whaaa?!? on May 15th in Vancouver. All are welcome.

Emily
are there awards for worst book ever? if so this is a real contender. While I did enjoy finding out what someone of this age may find erotic, I couldn't help but imagine her giggling while she typed away te he he. The best thing I can say about this book is that it was short.
M
The initial premise - whether or not a widow is imagining a mistress for her deceased lover - makes a unique psychological selling point. The book sadly degenerates into erotic fantasy and fails to deliver on the opening concept.
Liz
Im not sure what everyone in the reviews are complaining about. What were they expecting with a title that flat out states An Erotic Tale? It is what it is, an explicit little triffle that is short on story but heavy on sex.
Amber
This was not a bad read, but not a great one either. The language was florid, the sex scenes interesting but not original, the plot a bit plodding. It picked up toward the end, but the conclusion was terribly unsatisfying.
Veronica
Jul 18, 2009 Veronica rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of romance novels.
Shelves: adult-fiction, 2009
This book is full of really vivid descriptions, and because of this the romantic scenes are REALLY explicit. Not exactly my kind of book, but it is based around an interesting plot dynamic.
Irene
For authentic erotica, one should read "The Pearl" by Anonymous.

That's the real stuff...not this poor attempt at what Ms. Vanderbilt supposes is the bondage erotica genre.
Patricia June Aytes
Very interesting book. Very intense....I think it would make a good case for an identity crisis or split personality. It actually ended about the way I had fiigured it would.
Patti
I kept remembering that I was reading something written by Anderson Cooper's 80-something mother and that was a little unnerving to me. Not horrible; not great.
Leslie
One star is probably one too many. Yes, it's that bad. Horrible writing. Save your money and get it from the library. Save your time and don't bother.
Joy
Jul 09, 2009 Joy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Gloria Vanderbilt is 85 and the mother of Anderson Cooper but I guess I didn't realize she was an author. Evidently, this book is pretty steamy...
SC
Nov 26, 2011 SC marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Shelli
Pretty boring. I wanted to read it after a review in a magazine, after all this is Anderson Cooper's mom. I found it dull.
Onni
It's a bit derivative, if you've read The Story of O, and quite tame if you're a fan of Fifty Shades of Grey, but it's short.
Stefanie
Very light on plot. Lots of erotic fantasy scenes strung together. It still counts toward my reading goal.
Moose
Eerie yet enchanting with lush descriptions that are sensual to read all on their own merits.
Jen
Oh my goodness! Very colourful book to say the least.. good book actually!!
Marion
Pure drivel. Unresolved, unsatisfactory ending.
  • The East, the West, and Sex: A History of Erotic Encounters
  • Ella Mental: And the Good Sense Guide
  • Dogboy (Brind, #1)
  • Daughter of Kura: A Novel
  • Glint
  • Corydon and the Island of Monsters (Corydon, #1)
  • Fringe Girl (Fringe Girl, #1)
  • Someone Like Summer
  • Fabulous Nobodies
  • That Girl Lucy Moon
  • The Turning (Angel on the Square, #4)
  • A Scary Scene in a Scary Movie
  • Primavera
  • 68 Knots
  • The Chaos King (Wall and the Wing, #2)
  • Gold of Kings
  • The Midnight Gate (Spellbinder #2)
  • Juicy Secrets (Confessions of a Teen Nanny, #3)
Gloria Vanderbilt is the author of four memoirs and two novels. She contributes to various publications, including The New York Times, Vanity Fair, and Elle, and has received two honorary Doctorates of Fine Arts. She lives in New York City.
More about Gloria Vanderbilt...
It Seemed Important at the Time: A Romance Memoir A Mother's Story Once Upon a Time Black Knight White Knight The Memory Book of Starr Faithfull