Start by marking “Hell Hath No Fury: True Stories of Women at War from Antiquity to Iraq” as Want to Read:
Hell Hath No Fury: True Stories of Women at War from Antiquity to Iraq

Hell Hath No Fury: True Stories of Women at War from Antiquity to Iraq

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  8 reviews
An engaging collection that uncovers injustices in history and overturns misconceptions about the role of women in war

When you think of war, you think of men, right? Not so fast. In Hell Hath No Fury, Rosalind Miles and Robin Cross prove that although many of their stories have been erased or forgotten, women have played an integral role in wars throughout history.

In witty
Published February 26th 2008 by Crown (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Hell Hath No Fury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hell Hath No Fury

Donna
Short bios of women from ancient to modern times that participated in battles and wars in defense of their freedom/ideals, for their very existance, or power. Women who also were healers/doctors, reporters, spies. And a few who were as cruel and evil as any man could be. Women who are well known and many that I never heard of before. My favorites were ancient women in Greece or Briton (ie, Boudica, Queen of Briton who united her people to fight the Romans); Athelread, King Alfred the Great's dau ...more
Amanda
I. loved. this. I am so grateful to this book -- it couldn't have ever by any means coverered all the details of these womens' lives, but I love that they included additional reading for the women I am interested in learning more about. There is a heavy emphasis on WWII and women in that war, but I know there is also a lot of documentation for them. I would love to see more on women from Latin America, Africa, and Asia -- it is very Eurocentric, but it is a great start.
Janet
I ended up just skimming through this book. I always like to read the introduction in books instead of just skipping over them. In this case, I should have skipped it because I got so darn bored withthe introduction that I started to fall asleep. I had a hard time picking the book up again and when I did, I basically just flipped through it. I'm sure it's very interesting and will be worth a second look - some day.
Kelley
Loved this book. I might be biased as I got to meet the author and we had a lengthy discussion about some of these women and his travels while researching the people/ places. Overall a great read for any one who loves heroines.
Bruce
A collection of short biographies of women involved in war as leaders, as military personnel, as correspondents, as spies.
Lisa Beth
It had lots of interesting history bits that are not normally talked about. A lot of world war stories.
Chantay
Incredibly boring. Ended up just reading the parts of the ladies that interested me.
Kay
Look for my upcoming review in Bitch Magazine.
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
~Brandy~
~Brandy~ marked it as to-read
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Sonya
Sonya marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Sarai Lillie
Sarai Lillie marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Amanda Mitchell
Amanda Mitchell marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Vero
Vero marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Allison Lawrence
Allison Lawrence marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Erica
Erica marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Deb
Deb marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Sherri
Sherri marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Johanna Linder
Johanna Linder marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Joshua Castleman
Joshua Castleman marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Kandace Dick
Kandace Dick marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Amelia
Amelia marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
  • Ancient Egypt: An Illustrated Reference to the Myths, Religions, Pyramids and Temples of the Land of the Pharaohs
  • Hypatia of Alexandria
  • Other Powers: The Age of Suffrage, Spiritualism, and the Scandalous Victoria Woodhull
  • Playing with the Enemy: A Baseball Prodigy, World War II, and the Long Journey Home
  • Unhitched: Love, Marriage, and Family Values from West Hollywood to Western China
  • The War Against Women
  • History of Women in the West, Vol 1: From Ancient Goddesses to Christian Saints
  • Blue Nude
  • 4000 Years of Uppity Women
  • A Piece of My Heart: The Stories of 26 American Women Who Served in Vietnam
  • Hypatia of Alexandria: Mathematician and Martyr
  • The American Home Front: 1941-1942
  • The Frailty Myth: Redefining the Physical Potential of Women and Girls
  • The Nuremberg Trials
  • A Company of Heroes: Personal Memories about the Real Band of Brothers and the Legacy They Left Us
  • Pink Think: Becoming a Woman in Many Uneasy Lessons
  • Women's Life in Greece and Rome: A Source Book in Translation
  • The First Eagles: The American Pilots Who Flew With the British, Became Aces, and Won World War I
Rosalind Miles is an author born and raised in England and now living in both Los Angeles and Kent, England. She has written both works of fiction and non-fiction. As a child, Miles suffered from polio, and had to undergo several months of treatment. After being accepted to a junior women's college, Miles acquired a working knowledge of Latin and Greek, along with developing her life-long love of ...more
More about Rosalind Miles...
I, Elizabeth Guenevere, Queen of the Summer Country (Guenevere, #1) Isolde, Queen of the Western Isle (Tristan and Isolde, #1) The Knight of the Sacred Lake (Guenevere, #2) The Child of the Holy Grail (Guenevere, #3)