Start by marking “Hell Hath No Fury: True Stories of Women at War from Antiquity to Iraq” as Want to Read:
Hell Hath No Fury: True Stories of Women at War from Antiquity to Iraq

Hell Hath No Fury: True Stories of Women at War from Antiquity to Iraq

An engaging collection that uncovers injustices in history and overturns misconceptions about the role of women in war

When you think of war, you think of men, right? Not so fast. In Hell Hath No Fury, Rosalind Miles and Robin Cross prove that although many of their stories have been erased or forgotten, women have played an integral role in wars throughout history.

In witty
Published February 26th 2008 by Crown (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Hell Hath No Fury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hell Hath No Fury

Donna
Apr 14, 2008 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short bios of women from ancient to modern times that participated in battles and wars in defense of their freedom/ideals, for their very existance, or power. Women who also were healers/doctors, reporters, spies. And a few who were as cruel and evil as any man could be. Women who are well known and many that I never heard of before. My favorites were ancient women in Greece or Briton (ie, Boudica, Queen of Briton who united her people to fight the Romans); Athelread, King Alfred the Great's dau ...more
Janet
Mar 12, 2008 Janet rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I ended up just skimming through this book. I always like to read the introduction in books instead of just skipping over them. In this case, I should have skipped it because I got so darn bored withthe introduction that I started to fall asleep. I had a hard time picking the book up again and when I did, I basically just flipped through it. I'm sure it's very interesting and will be worth a second look - some day.
Amanda
I. loved. this. I am so grateful to this book -- it couldn't have ever by any means coverered all the details of these womens' lives, but I love that they included additional reading for the women I am interested in learning more about. There is a heavy emphasis on WWII and women in that war, but I know there is also a lot of documentation for them. I would love to see more on women from Latin America, Africa, and Asia -- it is very Eurocentric, but it is a great start.
Christina
Jan 02, 2017 Christina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this as an ARC from a used bookstore a long time ago. I don’t know why it took me so long to read this.

It was good. A little outdated in parts by now, since it was published almost a decade ago. WWII was the most prominently featured conflict. Usually the entries about individual women were more interesting than the entries about military organisations, national movements etc.

The out-of-the-blue Hemingway insults were a highlight.
Kelley
Jan 22, 2013 Kelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. I might be biased as I got to meet the author and we had a lengthy discussion about some of these women and his travels while researching the people/ places. Overall a great read for any one who loves heroines.
nicki
Jul 12, 2015 nicki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best collection of Historical figures I have ever read, very intriguing, I loved it.
Bruce
Mar 06, 2009 Bruce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of short biographies of women involved in war as leaders, as military personnel, as correspondents, as spies.
Chantay
Incredibly boring. Ended up just reading the parts of the ladies that interested me.
Kay
Mar 15, 2008 Kay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Look for my upcoming review in Bitch Magazine.
Lisa Beth
May 16, 2012 Lisa Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It had lots of interesting history bits that are not normally talked about. A lot of world war stories.
Meredith
Meredith rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2014
Shadowcthuhlu
Shadowcthuhlu rated it liked it
May 19, 2012
Alena
Alena rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2010
NCC-1701-J
NCC-1701-J rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2015
Kellie
Kellie rated it liked it
Dec 10, 2014
Lianne Burwell
Lianne Burwell rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2011
Leah Cossette
Leah Cossette rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2013
Yolanda Rico
Yolanda Rico rated it it was ok
Apr 18, 2015
J. Brown
J. Brown rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2014
Johnna
Johnna rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2011
Chris
Chris rated it it was ok
Sep 10, 2008
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2014
Angela
Angela rated it it was ok
Jul 26, 2011
Shannon Gilligan
Shannon Gilligan rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2016
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2010
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2011
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2013
Kori
Kori rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2014
MonkeyBusiness
MonkeyBusiness rated it it was ok
Feb 17, 2011
Lisa Beth
Lisa Beth rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
  • 4000 Years of Uppity Women
  • Other Powers: The Age of Suffrage, Spiritualism, and the Scandalous Victoria Woodhull
  • Unhitched: Love, Marriage, and Family Values from West Hollywood to Western China
  • Playing with the Enemy: A Baseball Prodigy, World War II, and the Long Journey Home
  • Hypatia of Alexandria
  • Blue Nude
  • Ancient Egypt: An Illustrated Reference to the Myths, Religions, Pyramids and Temples of the Land of the Pharaohs
  • The War Against Women
  • A Company of Heroes: Personal Memories about the Real Band of Brothers and the Legacy They Left Us
  • A Piece of My Heart: The Stories of 26 American Women Who Served in Vietnam
  • The Frailty Myth: Redefining the Physical Potential of Women and Girls
  • The Kings' Mistresses: The Liberated Lives of Marie Mancini, Princess Colonna, and Her Sister Hortense, Duchess Mazarin
  • Women's Life in Greece and Rome: A Source Book in Translation
  • Beyond the Ties of Blood
  • The Tudors
  • The American Home Front: 1941-1942
  • Pink Think: Becoming a Woman in Many Uneasy Lessons
  • Royalty's Strangest Characters: Extraordinary But True Tales from 2,000 Years of Mad Monarchs and Raving Rulers (Strangest series)
Rosalind Miles is an author born and raised in England and now living in both Los Angeles and Kent, England. She has written both works of fiction and non-fiction. As a child, Miles suffered from polio, and had to undergo several months of treatment. After being accepted to a junior women's college, Miles acquired a working knowledge of Latin and Greek, along with developing her life-long love of ...more
More about Rosalind Miles...