Start by marking “A Profane Wit: The Life Of John Wilmot, Earl Of Rochester” as Want to Read:
A Profane Wit: The Life Of John Wilmot, Earl Of Rochester

A Profane Wit: The Life Of John Wilmot, Earl Of Rochester

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Of the glittering, licentious court around King Charles II, John Wilmot, the second Earl of Rochester, was the most notorious. Simultaneously admired and vilified, he personified the rake-hell. Libertine, profane, promiscuous, he shocked his pious contemporaries with his doubts about religion and his blunt verses that dealt with sex or vicious satiric assaults on the high ...more
Published December 1st 2009 by University of Rochester Press (first published January 11th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about A Profane Wit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Profane Wit

Elizabeth Moore
I'll be honest, here: I LIKE boys. By 'boys,' however, I truly mean 'men,' so let there be no misunderstanding, but sometimes I prefer to refer to the bad ones as 'boys' as in the old standby, "bad boys." There is something about bad boys that redeems them, and in spite of everything bad about the subject of James William Johnson's biography of the Earl of Rochester, there is good, too.

This was a case of movie-sparks-an-interest-in-true-story, and after catching Johnny Depp's performance in The
Shelley
Rochester was a rake, a douche, and an amazing wit. Because of the wit, it's possible to forgive his outlandish behavior. (Or...at least some of it.) I think of Rochester as the gateway drug that turned me on to Dryden.

This is very thorough scholarship, very well placed in history...and very dry. It took me ages to finish, because I kept putting it aside to read other books. It's a very useful biography, but not for the easily distracted, the faint of heart, or the Restoration dilettante, which
Alicia  Gordon
Rochester is such a badass. I reaaaaally need to read this.
Violet
A Genius pure and simple :) wilmot is the comedian with a conscience of the Early modern period :) If you ever have the wits to realise what the sub-text is ;)
Leah Hepner
The narrative and the facts are excellent, but a psychosexual approach is so antiquated that some of the insights are ridiculous
Vera Cobb
Vera Cobb marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Israel Freelin
Israel Freelin is currently reading it
May 28, 2015
Gray_dorian
Gray_dorian marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Lola
Lola marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Renan Virginio
Renan Virginio marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Jasmin
Jasmin marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Sara Sinan
Sara Sinan marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Marnix Ftita
Marnix Ftita marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Brandy
Brandy added it
Jul 13, 2014
Alexis
Alexis marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Tracy Judson
Tracy Judson marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Sally Stewart
Sally Stewart marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Bookreader
Bookreader marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Arthur Cravan
Arthur Cravan marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Utopian Literature Logic and Rhetoric The Formation of English Neo-Classical Thought Prose In Practice: A Rhetorical Reader Concepts Of Literature