Start by marking “Hitchhiker” as Want to Read:
Hitchhiker

Hitchhiker (Point Horror)

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,301 Ratings  ·  70 Reviews
Two girls on spring break pick up a handsome hitchhiker and their dream vacation becomes a nightmare in this jolting YA thriller.
Published January 1st 1993 by Turtleback Books

To ask other readers questions about Hitchhiker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hitchhiker

Kazzy  Stallwood
Jun 09, 2012 Kazzy Stallwood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good little story.

R.L. Stine used to be a favourite of mine when I was a kid - obviously through Goosebumps, which, looking back wasn't the most scariest of things ever - but I was a kid! It was scary enough then!

I found this book lying around in an old cupboard a few months ago and tossed it aside, thinking I'd read it. After reading a particularly emotional book already today I picked it up, looking for an easy read. It is an easy read, I'll give you that, but it has enough plot twists, thril
Kris Lugosi
Holy crap, hitchhiking is not what it use to be! I would have been killed three pages in if I were these girls!
Myra Khan
Dec 02, 2010 Myra Khan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not really an R.L. Stine fan. I was never crazily into the Goosebumps series or Fear Street and the few I tried to read seemed boring and repetitive to me. I expected the same when I started this book, but wow, was I surprised or what. I loved the story and was surprised at various points throughout the book. A great read.
Ashley Lynn
Jan 20, 2016 Ashley Lynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those looking for a good thriller/horror/suspense.
Recommended to Ashley by: Read it years and years ago originally. Found at Goodwill.
In this story, Christina and Terry are on their way home from Florida. They have a long drive that neither girl is particularly happy to be on. To spice things up, Christina decides the two should pick up a hitchhiker, James, on the side of the road. Filled with twists and turns, you’ll never guess what is coming. This book is a thrilling adventure and wild roller coaster that will flip everything as soon as you thought you had the characters pegged and the story figured out.

Well, I think I know
Jimbo Pantas
Dec 23, 2013 Jimbo Pantas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FUCK.

--the first word that came out of my mouth once I finished reading the last chapter. I was emotionally paralyzed for a couple of minutes. I couldn't believe it. R.L. Stine is a genius! All the time I was thinking and fearing the supposed antagonist when in fact... Tsk. I couldn't believe I was fooled! And I'm sure as fuck that all who have read this novel feel the same way too.

Let me expound why I gave it 5 stars.

The Plot
A lot of things were really happening in the story. And I like how th
Michelle Toy
4 out of 5 Point Horror Book Stars!

(I rate these books compared to other Point Horror Books Only)

I read this as part of the #pointhorrorbookclub that I run monthly!

You can read the post here http://talesofyesterday.co.uk/2016/05...

This is more of a discussion than a review with highlighted areas of the book and has a comedy feel to the discussion to. Please be aware that as this is a discussion there will be spoilers.

Want to know more about #pointhorrorbookclub - check this out http://talesofye
Sidney Jurek
May 17, 2016 Sidney Jurek rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why would you pick up a hitchhiker? I questioned the fictional character. You have no idea who you’re picking up. They could be a killer. Christina clearly had no idea what she was getting her and her friend into. Despite her best friend Terri’s disagreement and argument, they had still picked up the hitchhiker. After they had visited the hitchhikers-James cousin Paul, weird things begin to happen. Things went missing, people began to follow them, people disappeared. It was too late for them, th ...more
Kelly
Sep 15, 2013 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I just loved these books when I was a teen! I've reread several of them in my adult years, just for fun, and find that I still enjoy them. I recently grabbed a pile of them from my local used book store and took a few to the beach with me. I had to stop myself from rolling my eyes a couple of times while reading this one, and remind myself to just appreciate it for what it is!
Elena
Oct 05, 2014 Elena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Embarrassingly enough, I actually liked this.
Tara
Apr 28, 2016 Tara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. My favourite Point Horror book so far, since starting to re-read them as an adult!
Olivia
Sep 19, 2008 Olivia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
HITHIKER WAS A VERY GOOD BOOK....I REALLY ENJOYED IT.. r.l STINE IS ONE OG MY FAVORITE AUTHORS.....
Kim Lauwers
I wanted a quick read and found this in my digital library (60% of the books in that library I got from my neighbour, so i keep finding little treasures here and ther :-) ) Since I liked the Goosebumps and Fear Street series so much as a kid I thought it might be a nice nostalgic trip down memory lane (it's no like I remember any books that I read 15 years ago so little chance of my memory spoiling the story for me)

This book did for me what it needed to do at that moment. It was very easy to rea
Erica
Sep 30, 2015 Erica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Growing up, I never got into R.L. Stine or any of the Goosebumps books. This novel is one of many that I have from when I was younger though and I decided it would be a quick read and prelude to October.
I have to say, this book surprised me in more ways than I can account for in this review. I was surprised at first at how quick I was pulled into the story and ride with Christina, Terri, and James. Each time I suspected what was going to happen next, I found out I was wrong. This book will lead
Donna
The beginning of THE HITCHHIKER started off incredibly ridiculous in that two teenager girls, maybe 16? One only having a driver’s permit, are allowed to drive from Cleveland to the southern tip of Florida for a vacation by themselves. On their way back they pick up a hitchhiker, which one of the girls starts totally drooling over because things like this happen in real life.

I get it. I need to suspend my disbelief. But one thing I’m learning in my Summer of Cheese pseudo-experiment is that Stin
sunshine
Jul 20, 2013 sunshine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading this book when I was in year 5 (5th grade).
I absolutely loved it ( and I still do even though It's been 6 years), it was thrilling and I just wanted to carry on reading and reading.

The feeling this book gave me is indescribable, I just cannot describe the way it made me feel. It was amazing at that time reading a horror book, turning the pages to a new mystery, a new thriller.

I read many books of R.L Stine in year 5 and also below that year (they mostly included Goosebump Book
Melissa Namba
Feb 02, 2015 Melissa Namba rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: r-l-stine
I remember reading this one as a kid. I am starting to think that the books not based on Fear Street were a little better than the Fear Street books. The little twist at the end was obviously not a surprise to me this time around because I actually remembered this book. I can't say that about most of the other R.L. Stine books. Like the other books, it is fairly direct and to the point. Not a lot of description going on. Not a book for the literati, but fine for a middle school kid.
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
So reminds me of that movie Hitcher.

Just as the title suggests, you have two girls, a hitchhiker, cruising along the road, its not long till they find trouble.

I will say that the ending I didn't see coming, thinking it was going one way but went in an entirely different way. Especially the who done what and who would survive.

Not a bad twist. And something different. Which was nice with most of these reads.

Pretty good. Makes me want to read the books in the series.
Tiyarra Burton
This book is based on two girls, Christina and Terry. They are on their way back home from their trip to Florida. They decide why not have a thrill and give a hitchhiker a ride. His name is James. Terry does not want to pick him up but Christina insists on on it . He is a very handsome boy. Once they seen how he really was no one should trust a hitchhiker. After that point there was lot's of twists and turns. Lot's of curiosity and excitement. After this book trust no one.
Jaimie
Sep 24, 2010 Jaimie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paul Kim
Apr 25, 2016 Paul Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: r-l-stine
Can be dull sometimes because there are parts where nothing happened but does have some suspenseful regarding character interactions and the climax was so silly that it was enjoyable.

As for the twist, it's... actually so different from other YA books that I'm impressed. Although, I wished there better leadups for the twist so I can see how the twist begins.

It's typical Stine book where the only interesting part is the twist with plodding and padding in beginning of book but still it's fine as th
Lucy Stevens
Feb 18, 2016 Lucy Stevens rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars
A nice little novella for an hour or so's read.
Full of lots of twists and turns and unexpected happenings!
Nobody is who they seem and you feel deceived by the end. I did not guess the plot twist although several times I thought there must be one but guessed at it incorrectly. A bit of a teeny thriller but enjoyable just the same.
Nilima Manandhar
Jan 19, 2016 Nilima Manandhar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this back in 7th grade and I didn't expect the plot twist. After reading this book, I am really paranoid about hitchhikers and I would NEVER offer them any rides. It is illegal to give ride to hitchhikers where I live but if I see them, I start forming crazy theories.
Raelee Daychief
Nov 17, 2015 Raelee Daychief rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's about these girls who pick up a stranger and they go to Florida but it's like a crazy adventure. It all started when they were driving and they saw a hitchhiker and so they picked him up. Someone is following them in the book and they don't know who it is.
C.
May 01, 2016 C. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, vintage, point-horror
Five Point Horror stars (they're not like other stars, because it's entirely pointless comparing vintage YA horror to modern YA standards) for sheer ridiculousness. I didn't even guess what was happening (although I did know who stole the money).
Kency
May 04, 2015 Kency rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved reading R.L Stine as an elementary school student and this is the book that started my R.L. Stine phase. I recommend it to anyone with a thirst for mystery and suspense.
Luis godinez
Dec 02, 2014 Luis godinez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was good it was about a guy who hitched hiked to his cousins house.
He robbed a old mans car and killed him he was on the news but know one found him.
Sarah Chambers
May 20, 2015 Sarah Chambers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: point-horror
This is excellent point horror twists and turns, is the bad guy really bad? Loads of fun and one of the better point horrors. R.L Stine at his best, Stephen King with fewer pages, loved it.
BookCupid
Mar 26, 2014 BookCupid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, own
R.L.Stine knows how to plot a good story with so few pages. The book had its usual twisted ending, and lustful characters. Still remains a favorite.
Feb 04, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I had forgotten what a good Author this guy was keeps u guessing right till the end. A good book to read if you want something simple and not to tough to get your head round
Erin
Jan 19, 2016 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am generally not a fan of R.L. Stine, but this was a good one. Nice period piece and I didn't see the twist coming. :)
  • The Window
  • April Fools (Point Horror, #7)
  • The Invitation (Point Horror, #20)
  • Mother's Helper (Point Horror, #14)
  • The Watcher
  • The Waitress
  • The Phantom
  • The Perfume
  • The Ripper

R. L. Stine b
More about R.L. Stine...

Point Horror (1 - 10 of 101 books)
  • Blind Date (Point Horror, #1)
  • Twisted (Point Horror, #2)
  • The Lifeguard (Point Horror, #3)
  • Prom Dress
  • My Secret Admirer (Point Horror, #4)
  • The Baby-Sitter (The Baby-Sitter, #1; Point Horror, #5)
  • The Baby-Sitter II (Point Horror, #17)
  • The Babysitter IV (The Baby-Sitter #4)
  • Trick or Treat (Point Horror, #6)
  • April Fools (Point Horror, #7)