Start by marking “The Lord Is My Shepherd the Lord Is My Shepherd the Lord Is My Shepherd” as Want to Read:
The Lord Is My Shepherd the Lord Is My Shepherd the Lord Is My Shepherd

The Lord Is My Shepherd the Lord Is My Shepherd the Lord Is My Shepherd

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  349 ratings  ·  60 reviews
Rabbi Harold Kushner believes that the Twenty-third Psalm--perhaps the most memorable and cherished chapter of the Bible--offers spiritual riches that can change a person's life. He has found that thesesimple, beautiful verses, full of honesty and optimism, have an almost magical power to comfort and calm. The psalm does not pretend that life is ever easy, but it offers a ...more
Published August 26th 2003 by Anchor Books (first published 2003)

Be the first to ask a question about The Lord Is My Shepherd the Lord Is My Shepherd the Lord Is My Shepherd

Denise
I truly enjoyed this book. It helped me to understand more deeply the meaning and intention of the Twenty-third Psalm. It’s one of my all time favorite psalms and I always include it in my prayers. I’m sure people have their own understanding of this psalm, but I really liked this interpretation of it. Rabbi Harold S. Kushner goes line by line through the whole psalm explaining what it means to him.

Since I was raised Catholic, and I’m not saying all Catholics fall in this category, I came to bel
♥ Ibrahim ♥
I went to a Baptist seminary and studied there for 5 years. I have read all kinds of commentaries doing my papers of Biblical exegesis. Honest to God, nobody compares to the Jews in interpreting the Bible. After all, it is their Bible and we took it from them. Some of us hijack the interpretation and insist on one way of interpretation, and these are what you could call "Christian Fundamentalists". One way of interpretation and it is their way. But Rav. Kushner is amazing. I like his depth of sc ...more
Jen
After 9/11 I lost my faith. I had been going to church, and then I stopped. I couldn't get myself through the doors, even though I knew I should. A couple of years later, Kushner's book, When Bad Things Happen to Good People, passed through my hands. His words comforted me and helped me to refocus on the goodness of God, and I returned to my faith. Years later, Kushner's meditation on the 23rd psalm was sent to me by an anonymous teacher following the shooting at Sandy Hook School, part of an ou ...more
Ted Hovey
I think it's fair to say that for many people, the Twenty-third Psalm is a favorite part of the Bible. It has been a favorite of mine since childhood. Why? What is it about this Psalm that appeals to us?

Rabbi Harold S. Kushner writes: "The primary message of the Twenty-third Psalm is not that bad things will never happen to us. It is that we will not have to face those bad things alone, 'for Thou art with me.'"

And: "God is the one who is with us when we have to do something hard. He is the one w
John Holst
I have used this wonderful book as part of a church book study several times. The participants always enjoy Rabbi Kushner's style of connecting his life stories to their own stories.
Salem
Kushner dissects the the well known Psalm verse by verse, elucidating in fascinating detail why exactly these words (the King James translation) provide such comfort to so many people in so many circumstances.

Despite a cringe-worthy sentence every chapter or so ("that is why many members of minority groups adopt extreme hairstyles and give their children unusual names"), demonstrating Kushner's unfortunate sexism and racism, the book overall is very valuable.
Maria
WOW! This was a great and simple commentary on the 23rd Psalm.
Cynthia
Fantastic!

can be used as lesson/group discussion
David
The book opens with this BS proposition: “Can fifteen beautiful lines from a single page of the Bible change your life? I believe they can, if you are willing to open your heart to their magic.” Luckily, I had read Kushner’s “Overcoming Life’s Disappointments” because this opening statement was a real disappointment. Sure it can change your life. Many people’s lives have been changed by opening themselves up to some “magic”: Jim Jones and his Kool-Aid-drinking followers, Moonies, Scientologists, ...more
Brian Whited
Kushner has written yet another book describing his all-powerless God. He goes against both Christian and Jewish theology in an attempt to relieve God of any association with the evil and difficulties that are present in the world. To Kushe, God is a comforting friend that grieves along side you in your trials. God wishes he could stop the pain, but he is unable to do so, he is bound by the laws of nature. The only problem with this view is that the Bible is emphatic that God is the Creator. He ...more
Texbritreader
This small, contemplative book seeks to illuminate the beloved and probably the best known psalm, number 23, which begins with the well remembered opening line: The Lord is my shepherd...

Rabbi Kushner does a nice job of drawing practical meaning out of these beautiful words and offers readers an opportunity to ask themselves what lessons they might extract from this most comforting of verses. He also manages to present his ideas in a nicely ecumenical fashion, respectfully integrating Christian
Jim George
The 23rd Psalm contains the most comforting wisdom in all the Bible, just reciting the Psalm instantly brings peace to your mind, soul, and body. The author seemed to really make one sentence speak to my heart, and then the next sentence and explanation was just okay.
Maryjo
This book is so inspiring…I could read it over and over! It really touches the heart and means so much to me. In life there are some really difficult times we must face which one of those times for me was caring for my sick Mother after loosing my Father. They had been married for 57 years and had lost a child (my brother) and then my father passed just ten months later. It was a horrible time for the family… but especially for Mom. Anyway, a few weeks before she passed I would take this book wi ...more
Siobhan
Rabbi Harold S. Kushner wrote this book in the aftermath of 9/11. This line-by-line reflection on what is probably the most beloved of all the psalms can be helpful in dealing with any calamity that life is sure to throw our way.

When he was doing his book tour following the publication of the book, I heard Rabbi Kushner speak. He's an incredibly impressive man -- kind, smart, helpful. I've read most of his books and his ability to look at our situation today through the lense of scripture is bo
Donna
This is one of my favorite inspirational books.
Joel Tin
I write this letter to the author Rabbi Herold S.Kushner for I could not find his contact email.

I am Joel, a lecturer of Tahan Theological College, Kalaymyo, Myanmar.
I got this book from a New Zeland friend and it was so impressed me that I have translated into Myanmar language. Now I need the author's permission to publish. But I could not find the way to mail him. So if anybody read this letter help me to contact Herold S, Krushner,
Nancy
Did you ever have a bad day? Did ever feel alone or lonely? Have you ever felt blue? Read the Lord is my Shepard. Rabbi Kushner takes the 23rd Palsm and breaks apart so the reader can feel the depth of the passages. He shows us what each reference, sentence, passage can mean to us. It is a quick read. I keep it as a reference book for this is my most favorite palsm. Reach out!! Feel better! (For the record, I am a baptist!) Enjoy!
Alex Norcross
In this book, Rabbi Harold Kushner provides an in depth analysis of the Twenty-Third Psalm. His examination of this well-known psalm is excellent, and, even if his reading were not completely accurate, the message he extracts from the various movements of the poem are wonderfully beautiful, inspiring, and comforting. As a work of literary analysis, it is superb; as a sermon it is thorough and relevant. An excellent read.
Rachel
If you are looking for a book about putting your spiritual life into meaningful practice, you might wish to read this book. It is filled with inspiration and encouragement for an ongoing trusting relationship with God. Kushner takes each phrase of the Psalm as his chapter headings, and verse by verse, provides insight and practical suggestions for how to make these truths come alive each day.

Ruth
In his book, The Lord is My Shepherd, Rabbi Kushner shares his thought on the most beloved Twenty Third Psalms. It is an easy comforting read. I enjoyed his insights about Moses and Pharaoh. Also his comparing emotions and passions to water. They can be raging torrents, delightful streams, or calm pools. God has set the bounds for both water and passion. He has the power to calm the storms of our life.
Leslie
Aug 20, 2008 Leslie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: religion, audiobooks
My grandmother made me memorize this psalm when I was little and I always wondered what the big deal was about this particular psalm since it is read at pretty much every funeral I go to.

Rabbi Kusher does an excellent job of going through the psalm line by line, word by word, giving the original Hebrew meaning and how the word or concept applies today. He gave me a new appreciation for this psalm.
Shelly Watkins
A unique perspective of the twenty-third psalm through the eyes of a Rabbi. The author weaves the oft-quoted and memorized psalm relevant to daily life.
Linda Watkins
Great book! would recommend it to anyone who needs to be uplifted especially in times of distress.
Shawna
Good book for those going through a time of grieving. The author puts real-world meaning behind the words of the 23rd Psalm that can be applied to life today. It encourages people to live a life full of purpose and cling to God when life lets them down. Great ideas, explanations, and exaxmples.
barry
Oct 13, 2008 barry rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any jew
Recommended to barry by: edward
i will fear no evil when i die, i will be in the lords hands. i only ask that my brothers (remeber this alan and edward) and children say kaddish. saying kaddish is not for my soul or the dead; it is too expand the name of the lord as one of his good people has passed on
Barbara
Oct 18, 2013 Barbara rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
This may be the most inspirational book you will ever read (outside of a Bible). If you are questioning life or have lost your faith (no matter what religion), this book will help
guide you on the path to healing.

It's a must read for everyone.
Scott Shannon
A sensitive approach to the concept of suffering and loss. The rabbi doesn't presume to preach or lecture. He respects the subject enough to avoid easy answers and doctrine. He focuses on expectations and the healing presence of our Lord.
Kaye
Rabbi Kushner breaks apart the 23rd psalm line by line and expounds on it in relatable language, and wonderful insight. If you want to better understand one of the most beloved and famous psalms, this book is recommended.
Jayne Mattson
Since Lord is my Shephard is my favorite psalm, I wanted to hear Rabi Kushner's interpretation of it, which was beautiful. I do need to read it again because of the depth of his words needs time to resonate within you.
suzy
Dec 02, 2007 suzy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
I love Rabbi Kushner. A beautiful, book with a lot of insightful interpretations on the meaning of the 23 Psalm. I wish he were a small pocket charm, because if he were I'd bring him with me everywhere.
  • Messengers of God: Biblical Portraits and Legends
  • Advice on Dying: And Living a Better Life
  • The Jewish Study Bible
  • The Hebrew Goddess
  • Open Mind, Open Heart: The Contemplative Dimension of the Gospel
  • Outwitting History: The Amazing Adventures of a Man Who Rescued a Million Yiddish Books
  • Forgive and Forget
  • Healing and the Mind
  • The First Christmas
Harold S. Kushner is rabbi laureate of Temple Israel in the Boston suburb of Natick, Massachusetts. A native of Brooklyn, New York, he is the author of more than a dozen books on coping with life’s challenges, including, most recently, the best-selling Conquering Fear and Overcoming Life’s Disappointments.
More about Harold S. Kushner...
When Bad Things Happen to Good People How Good Do We Have to Be?: A New Understanding of Guilt and Forgiveness To Life: A Celebration of Jewish Being and Thinking Living a Life That Matters: Resolving the Conflict Between Conscience and Success When All You've Ever Wanted Isn't Enough: The Search for a Life That Matters

“We are the messiah for somebody if not for everybody.” 4 likes