Not Ready for Mom Jeans

Not Ready for Mom Jeans

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  263 ratings  ·  29 reviews
A laugh-out-loud novel about motherhood, life, and the quest for eight hours of sleep.

Event planner and famous blogger Clare Finnegan expected to go back to work after her daughter was born. After all, she worked hard for her success…and it's not like now that she has a child she has to buy a minivan, wear Mom Jeans, and give up her career! Right?

Despite morethan a few po...more
Published May 25th 2010 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Not Ready for Mom Jeans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not Ready for Mom Jeans

Kim
I really wanted to like this book, but I couldn't even finish it. The writing was just too annoying. The same words and phrases were repeated excessively. The characters were one-dimensional and not believable at all. For instance, the mother-in-law and coworker behave so atrociously that they come across more like ridiculous caricatures than real people. Finally, the frequent attempts at humor were unsuccessful from my perspective. The author tried very hard to be funny, but it just didn't work...more
Jenni
This book was OK, but I felt like it kept repeating the same mantra over and over again.

"I like my job, but I'd love to stay home with my baby."

God, lady, shut up and quit your job already.

I felt like this was this author took a whole bunch of blog posts and mashed them all up into a book. There was no plot or storyline, just a collection of anecdotes.

It was OK. I read the entire book, just because I hate not finishing something, and I have a goal to read 75 books this year. I felt I couldn't...more
Super Amanda
Atrocious and horrendous writing. Pestilence set to print.Cack without being campy. Chess masters ask that even decent non master chess players refrain from requesting a match as it can weaken their game to play with beginners. As a writer who is light years ahead of Maureen Lipinski (not saying much I agree) it actually is damaging to my own writing to sift through such trash. I catch myself wondering "is this is the rubbish that gets published now?" It reads like an annoying dream where nothin...more
Jenny
I bought this book because it was a recommended read on Jen Lancaster's blog. I thought I would be able to relate being a working mom with an infant but this book was so boring I could barely finish. There were a couple of funny parts and the author accurately describes the working mom guilt but I just couldn't get into this book.
Dara
I honestly don't understand how some books get published. So many typos and inconsistencies! (She's leaving a message and her friend answers her? She's on the phone and she knows what her friend's facial reaction is? etc). Otherwise, cute story and some very funny parts!
Po
Didn't like this one as well as the first book. Felt like the author could be mean-spirited at times, which I didn't enjoy .
Jenny
I typically would not have chosen to read this type of book myself- a story about a new mom in her late twenties trying to figure out how to balance family, work, and life - but I actually quite enjoyed this book. The writing was quick-witted, humorous, and a little dark (just my style), and the read itself was quick and easy. There are no really deep or incredibly meaningful themes in this book, but it's a fun and entertaining read nonetheless.
Deamer
Another hilarious novel, & a bright spot in the days I read it, I wish she continues the story ^_^
Arsala
I really wanted to like this book but unfortunately, this book and I didn't have the right chemistry. Jen Lancaster has really spoiled me. After reading her books, I feel like everyone else who tries to write a humorous story is just trying too hard to be like her. Bad, I know. The story does have it's funny moments but the insertion of an ex-boyfriend seemed totally unnecessary. Also, I think I couldn't relate to the character as much as I wanted to b/c all she wanted to do was drink! I don't d...more
Angie
Not being a mom, I find it so interesting what “thing” women pick as a physical representation of losing themselves to motherhood. For some it is a minivan, for others – it is fashion. For Lipinski – it was “mom” jeans. Through this book, Lipinski struggles with her decision to go to work after the birth of her child. As I was reading this book, I thought of at least ten friends who are moms who could relate to many of her stories. I often laughed out loud.

Katie
My major criticism of this book is that I wish the dialogue was more believable. A lot of times, especially when conversing with her sister or friends, it seemed unrealistic.
That being said, I really liked the book. I loved how it explored the conflict/guilt of wanting to remain an individual in your own right after you have a child, but also wanting to spend time with your child. I think I'd feel much the same if I had a kid.
Amy
This is the kind of book you'd read at the beach or the pool; it's a very very light read. There were definitely some humerus parts to this book, but a few of the author's attempts at humor were so predictable that it became a bit annoying. Besides that, it was a pretty good book. I'd recommend it to those who are looking for a light read!
Kallejay
Ugh, well, if you want a true account of how your life will change after a baby this is it. However, she keeps repeating the same line, the same idea over and over, and it never really does reach a conclusion in my humble opinion.
Doraluz Gallegos
It was funny, but it took forever for me to read. I'm not sure if it was the book or me. The ending needed more fireworks, and I pretty much knew how it would turn out, but it was funny enough in some parts to keep me entertained.
Rebecca Tees
Predictable, but an easy read. Suitable for working Moms who are struggling to find their place again and decide whether or not they really want to be a working mom or change the life completely.
Steph
I found I could relate to everything the author was saying, but I gave it three stars because some of the dialogue seemed a little hokey/forced. But, overall, entertaining.
Elena
I loved this follow up to "A Bump in the Road." I laughed out loud several times. Tee first one was better, but I really enjoyed this sequel- an awesome light read.
Randi
Mar 29, 2011 Randi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who has kids or friends/family with kids
Recommended to Randi by: a friend w/o kids
Really funny, I don't have kids myself, but could still relate to this follow up to "bump in the road" I'm actually hoping they'll be a third in the series.
Angela Koczan
I read this book before the first one, Bump in the Road. But still a great book. Easy, light - made me laugh out loud a number of times.
Lorie
Great book! Loved the characters! The book had a bit of a Jen Lancaster feel to it so of course it was fantastic.
Ali
Pretty cute with some hilarious moments. Ending felt a little bit like a cop-out.
Melissa
Comical account of making that difficult decision of being a working parent or a sahm
Annie
Sep 27, 2010 Annie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone!!!
Shelves: chicklit, fiction
STILL MORE LOVE! I'll totally be a mom like this.
Anna Jackson
This boom does not disappoint!! Hilarious!!
Aimee
Love love love this book....I lol frequently.
Erin
A fun, quick chic"mom"-lit read
Shari Routch
Two words: Stu. Pid.
Mathilde
One word: fun!
Sara Cramton
Sara Cramton marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
  • The Baby Planner
  • Room For Improvement
  • Mommy Tracked
  • Marcus of Umbria: What an Italian Dog Taught an American Girl about Love
  • Family Trust
  • Hedge Fund Wives
  • Tales from the Crib
  • 24-Karat Kids
  • 150 Pounds: A Novel of Waists and Measures
  • Diary of a Mad Mom-to-Be
  • Notes from the Underwire: Adventures from My Awkward and Lovely Life
  • Breakfast at Stephanie's
  • Saving Ruth
A Bump in the Road: From Happy Hour to Baby Shower Shadow's Edge (Shadow's Edge, #1) Cleopatra Ascending Cleopatra Ascending (A Shadow's Edge Novel)