Start by marking “How Should I Live In This World? (Crucial Questions, #5)” as Want to Read:
How Should I Live In This World? (Crucial Questions, #5)

How Should I Live In This World? (Crucial Questions #5)

Christians want to do the right thing. But it can be tough to know what the right thing is. Plus, it's not just the big questions with which we must wrestle ethical dilemmas confront us each day in every aspect of life. On what basis do we make all of these decisions?

In this Crucial Questions booklet, Dr. R. C. Sproul argues that the Bible is the supreme source for ethical
Published August 1st 2009 by Reformation Trust Publishing (first published November 30th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about How Should I Live In This World?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Should I Live In This World?

Ryan Watkins
Jan 10, 2016 Ryan Watkins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology, politics
Great. Especially chapters 3, 4, and 5 which deal with antinomianism, legalism, materialism, and capital punishment. It's only shortcoming is it's brevity. Many of the topics covered are deserving of an entire book.
Hannah Sedgwick
Jun 18, 2017 Hannah Sedgwick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An incredible little book on how to live ethically and morally according to biblical theology.
John Williams
Apr 08, 2014 John Williams rated it it was amazing
EXAMINE WHAT YOU STAND FOR . . . OR YOU’LL FALL FOR ANYTHING!
This is the 5th of Sproul’s 17-book series about the fundamentals of Christianity. In this book he talks about ethics in a well-thought-out & easy-to-understand way. He’s VERY thorough and starts with a basic question that I bet most people don't know the answer to - “What’s the difference between ETHICS & MORALS?”
I enjoyed Sproul’s approach very much - he’s comprehensive and pays great attention to detail. He starts at the be
Laurel
Apr 18, 2016 Laurel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
To take an ethical stand on the foundation of divine revelation is to bring oneself into serious and at times radical conflict with the opinions of men.

This booklet discusses Christian ethics, the difference between ethics and morals, and then applies those ethics to some ethical considerations Christians may find themselves face with today, including capital punishment, war and abortion, among a few others. Sproul clearly indicates his position on various points (not just the ethical considerat
Catherine Gillespie
Theologian R.C. Sproul has a series of short books dealing with critical questions of faith, all of which are free on Kindle. I read How Should I Live in This World?, which is an application of biblical frameworks to popular ethical quandaries. Sproul succinctly describes how to apply principles from the Bible to these questions, without being blinded by our culture or time period.

The book is very short for the topic it covers. If you’re interested in really deep exegesis and detailed philosophi
Justin
May 07, 2015 Justin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
I've been enjoying this series, but I couldn't get into this particular book. It's the driest of his writing I've come across, in large part due to the cataloging of categories. I also disagree with the way he divides ethics and morals (though it's not unique and is appropriate to the discussion he wants to have with this book).

It's also odd that -- even despite the limitations of a short work -- he broached but didn't address several hot button topics, including just war theory and abortion in
Steve Campbell
This is an insightful discussion of Christian ethics. Due to the brief nature of the books in this series, this is not a comprehensive look at ethics. Consider it an introduction that can whet your appetite for going deeper. It would have been nice to have a bibliography that would have pointed readers to deeper works. For instance, the chapter on war mentioned the just war theory, but it didn't go into detail. That's understandable considering the space the author has to work with, but it would ...more
Alex Hannis
Another good book by Sproul. The interesting part about this book is that I felt he went into too much detail in some regards to ethics while not even giving a definite answer in other parts! I could not follow his logic, and had wished he would have been more concrete and consistent in dealing with ethical matters. Honestly, I found myself a little bored during this one.
Glen
Dec 16, 2014 Glen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very solid book that focuses on critical ethical concerns facing the church today (e.g., capital punishment, materialism, abortion). It is written in the usual superior logic of Sproul and is very accessible to the casual reader who wants insight into a conservative approach to social ethics.

Matthew Hodge
Oct 15, 2014 Matthew Hodge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, christian
A short but thought-provoking introduction to the topic of ethics from a Christian perspective. Especially appreciate Sproul's touching on the twin traps of legalism and anti-nomianism.
Eric Durso
These short crucial questions series are good for brief overviews of certain topics. Not exhaustive.
Rene
Feb 03, 2015 Rene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teología
A really interesting essay about ethics and morals for Christian life, I liked it so much.
Guy Boily
Apr 23, 2014 Guy Boily rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Good reading. Touches important sujects such has abortion, capital punishement.
Matthew
Mar 16, 2015 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice, brief primer on Christian ethics.
Jean-Daniel Veer
I didn't expect this book to be about ethics, though it makes sense now that it was.

Very interesting insights, especially in the last chapter "Ethics and the conscience".
Sheila Myers
Jan 16, 2016 Sheila Myers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
Short, simple, and to the point. RC Sproul always does a wonderful job answering the question posed in the title in words that even the newest Christian can understand.
Corby H
Dec 31, 2016 Corby H rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The whole book was good and I learned quite a bit. the most interesting chapter was chapter four "The Ethics of Materialism".
Brian
Brian rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2015
Lisa Roberts
Lisa Roberts rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2014
Gerrard Guerrero
Gerrard Guerrero rated it liked it
Oct 29, 2014
Aidan Magill
Aidan Magill rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2014
William Estaquio
William Estaquio rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2016
Gerald Koerkenmeier
Gerald Koerkenmeier rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2015
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2013
Jodi
Jodi rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2017
Larry N
Larry N rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2015
Lucas Johnson
Lucas Johnson rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2016
Bowe
Bowe rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2016
KathyMcClendon
KathyMcClendon rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2015
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2010
  • Blood Work: How the Blood of Christ Accomplishes Our Salvation
  • How the Gospel Brings Us All the Way Home
  • A Quest For More: Living For Something Bigger than You
  • What's So Great about the Doctrines of Grace?
  • A Reformed Approach to Science and Scripture
  • Standing Strong: How to Resist the Enemy of Your Soul
  • Jesus in the Present Tense: The I AM Statements of Christ
  • John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine & Doxology
  • Welcome to a Reformed Church: A Guide for Pilgrims
  • In Christ Alone: Living the Gospel Centered Life
  • The Most Misused Verses in the Bible: Surprising Ways God's Word Is Misunderstood
  • Otherworld
  • How the Bible Came to Be (Ebook Shorts)
  • The Gospel Focus of Charles Spurgeon (A Long Line of Godly Men Profile)
  • Long Story Short: Ten-Minute Devotions to Draw Your Family to God: Old Testament
  • Shame Interrupted: How God Lifts the Pain of Worthlessness and Rejection
  • True Community: The Biblical Practice of Koinonia
  • Relationships: A Mess Worth Making
Dr. R.C. Sproul was born in 1939 in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. He is president of Ligonier Academy of Biblical and Theological Studies and the founder and chairman of the ministry that began in 1971 as the Ligonier Valley Study Center in Ligonier, Pennsylvania. In an effort to respond more effectively to the growing demand for Dr. Sproul’s teachings and the ministry’s other educational resources, th ...more
More about R.C. Sproul...

Crucial Questions (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Who Is Jesus? (Crucial Questions, #1)
  • Can I Trust The Bible? (Crucial Questions, #2)
  • Does Prayer Change Things? (Crucial Questions, #3)
  • Can I Know God's Will? (Crucial Questions, #4)
  • What Does It Mean To Be Born Again? (Crucial Questions, #6)
  • Can I Be Sure I'm Saved? (Crucial Questions, #7)
  • What Is Faith? (Crucial Questions, #8)
  • What Can I Do With My Guilt? (Crucial Questions, #9)
  • What Is The Trinity? (Crucial Questions, #10)
  • What Is Baptism? (Crucial Questions, #11)

“One critical factor in this dilemma is the fact that ministers are profoundly pressed to conform to acceptable contemporary standards. The person who comes to the minister for counsel is not always looking for guidance from a transcendent God, but rather for permission to do what
he or she wants-a license to sin. The Christian counselor is vulnerable to sophisticated forms of manipulation coming from the very people who seek his advice. The minister is placed in that difficult pressure point of acquiescing to the desires of the people or being considered unloving and fun-squelching. Add to this the cultural emphasis that there is something dehumanizing in the discipline and moral restraints God imposes on us. Thus, to stand with God is often to stand against men and to face the fiery trials that go with Christian convictions.”
0 likes
“Ethics involves the question of authority. The Christian lives under the sovereignty of God, who alone may claim lordship over us. Christian ethics is theocentric as opposed to secular or philosophical ethics, which tend to be anthropocentric. For the humanist, man is the norm, the ultimate standard of behavior. Christians, however, assert that God is the center of all things and that His character is the absolute standard by which questions of right and wrong are determined.” 0 likes