Start by marking “Organizational Culture and Leadership” as Want to Read:
Organizational Culture and Leadership

Organizational Culture and Leadership

In this third edition of his classic book, Edgar Schein shows how to transform the abstract concept of culture into a practical tool that managers and students can use to understand the dynamics of organizations and change. Organizational pioneer Schein updates his influential understanding of culture--what it is, how it is created, how it evolves, and how it can be change ...more
Published August 2nd 2004 by Jossey-Bass (first published January 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Organizational Culture and Leadership, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Organizational Culture and Leadership

Greg
Sep 06, 2008 Greg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This may be the pre-eminent book on organizational culture, by one of the pioneering scholars in the field. I read the first edition some twenty years ago, and in its third edition, it has not lost its relevance or practical utility for managers and scholars. Schein strengthens our understanding of culture by carefully exploring what it is, its genesis, how it adapts, evolves, and is transmitted, and how it can most effectively be changed. By focusing on leaders as creators, preservers, and chan ...more
Katri
I DID IT! VUHU!
Bob Wallner
Jul 08, 2014 Bob Wallner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Culture” is the current buzz word, but until recently, I honestly had no idea what was meant by a company’s “culture”.

Dr. Edgar Schein, in his excellent book Organizational Culture and Leadership, clearly articulates what culture is, the components of culture and how to succeed and fail in various cultures. Dr. Schein uses his personal experience with the people in Digital Equipment, Ciba-Geigy, and many others to bring his examples of culture and working within various cultures to life. As I l
Ryan Lackey
Jun 01, 2016 Ryan Lackey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this book is the classic on organizational culture, it's also incredibly verbose and tedious. There's value here, but a 100 page version with another 300+ pages of examples linked to it would be a lot more useful. There were also a huge number of really dated examples (pre technology, companies were mainly dead dinosaurs like DEC), which is because the book is in 4th edition and only lightly revised.

I also listened on audible, rather than reading, which made it extra-tedious. (Textbook pri
Bertrand A Ross
Jun 03, 2015 Bertrand A Ross rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Organizational Culture and Leadership" explores, analyzes and explains the behaviors and attitudes we encounter on a daily basis.

We all, I suspect, feel that there are things we can't quite see or explain but are shaping our experiences at work. Mr. Schein illuminates the fabric of our work life(organizational culture) so that we can better understand how action and reaction are caused or affected by the particular work culture. I found this very enlightening leading to a number of eureka momen
Lilymadness
May 24, 2014 Lilymadness rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very informative
Robert
Aug 25, 2008 Robert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Schein organizes the material within three Parts. Here’s a brief excerpt from The Dimensions of Culture. “If culture consists of shared basic assumptions, we still need to specify: assumptions about what? The concept of organizational or occupational cultures reflects the ultimate problems that every group faces: dealing with its external environment…Culture is pervasive and ultimately embraces everything that a group is concerned about and must deal with. Beyond these external and internal prob ...more
Arnie
Mar 05, 2016 Arnie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Classic work for understanding how organizations work, the values that guide them (including those hidden from sight, and how to make change happen. Without question, one of the most important books on organizations that I've ever read.
Sr Guste Guste, RSCJ
Read this book if you are a very deep practitioner or a doctoral candidate--which I was when I read it. It is still on my shelf, though. Author is one of the best in the field.
Chad Newton
A classic text from Schein's work! This book offers some of the first insights into organizational phenomena mentioned in modern textbooks on organization development (OD).
Ali
May 05, 2016 Ali rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just read it enough to get the idea of what it's about. Is it just me or the book really has a lot of assumptions and generalizations? But well, it's very enlightening.
Corey
Jul 19, 2016 Corey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well-written and researched; although overly reliant on only a few private sector cases, they are generally applicable to most large organizations.
William Chamberlin
Hard read but has some great insights on leadership and church life
Rat Barrel
Sep 07, 2013 Rat Barrel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a must-read for anyone seriously interested in organizational behavior. Schein is da' man! This book, in particular, provides an in-depth look at organizational culture while integrating the impact of leadership on org culture. This book is not a leadership book, per se, but rather a book about leadership's role in influencing organizational culture. Schein provides many useful cases to help illustrate his theories. That said, this book isn't for everyone but for the practitioner it's ve ...more
Aveen
Jan 12, 2016 Aveen marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Amazing
Roger Miller
A tough, technical read. But great insights into what makes up a culture. Last three chapters best in whole book. A point he makes is that to be a leaders who changes the culture: Successful architects of change must have a high degree of objectivity about themselves and their own organizations; such objectivity results from spending portions of their careers in diverse settings that permit them to compare and contrast different cultures.
Christine
Insightful.
Mike Wilson
Feb 09, 2015 Mike Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of great info

I found that there was a lot of great information in this book. I would recommend to anyone going into a leadership position.
JoAnn
Aug 08, 2012 JoAnn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably the best work I’ve found on how leadership directly impacts an organizational culture. Sheds light on the often-murky concepts around what it really takes to “change a culture,” directly attributing an organization’s culture to the actions of its leaders. Will appeal to conceptual thinkers the most.
Michael "Doc" Norton
Schein is a key thinker on the topics of organizations and culture. This book covers a good deal of his experience and thinking. While deeply entrenched in a leader:follower/hierarchy perspective, there's plenty to take from this text for the "Teal" thinker as well.
Annm
Jul 01, 2012 Annm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a really well written book explaining some key concepts for understanding organizations, leaders , and their behaviors. My work as an operational analyst will improve because I read this book, and I plan on bringing it to the office to use as a reference.
Eric
Jul 29, 2012 Eric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Masterpiece on culture. The famous " what-you-see-is-only-the-tip-of-the-iceberg" comes from this book on explaining the non-visible but powerful forces that drives culture, change and behaviour from and individual and organizational perspective.
Christina Mitchell
This book was read for a graduate course and I will have to turn in a review. I shall post my high-brow, elitist review (complete with big, complicated words and theory) for Goodreads once it is completed.
Marie
The basic ideas about the development of culture, and leadership's role in cultural development were very interesting, but most of the book was very dry and hard to get through.
Dejan Vukmirovic
Some interesting information, but kind of a "slow" book. It took me ages to read it. And eventually I have skipped some sections.
Craig
Nov 08, 2012 Craig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
Monster book, but well done for anyone considering how to approach and understand the culture and leadership of an organization.
Linda
Aug 20, 2011 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this for my class. Good overview of organizational culture and leadership. Good introductory book.
Velda
Aug 13, 2012 Velda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: research, education
Well written and explains why cultures and subcultures are so important when dealing with change.
Jack Vinson
Classic of organizational behavior. Important book in the MS-LOC program. Should read.
Ronnie Murrill
Feb 19, 2016 Ronnie Murrill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best book on organizational culture and leadership that I have read....
  • Reframing Organizations: Artistry, Choice, and Leadership
  • The Wisdom of Teams: Creating the High-Performance Organization
  • Dialogue: The Art Of Thinking Together
  • Riding the Waves of Culture: Understanding Diversity in Global Business
  • Leadership
  • The Dance of Change: The challenges to sustaining momentum in a learning organization
  • John P. Kotter on What Leaders Really Do
  • Change Leader: Learning to Do What Matters Most
  • Leadership and the New Science: Discovering Order in a Chaotic World
  • Hard Facts, Dangerous Half-Truths, and Total Nonsense: Profiting from Evidence-based Management
  • Strategy Safari: A Guided Tour Through The Wilds of Strategic Mangament
  • Deep Change: Discovering the Leader Within
  • Leadership on the Line: Staying Alive Through the Dangers of Leading
  • Leading Quietly: An Unorthodox Guide to Doing the Right Thing
Edgar Schein is the Society of Sloan Fellows Professor of Management Emeritus and a Professor Emeritus at the MIT Sloan School of Management.

Schein investigates organizational culture, process consultation, research process, career dynamics, and organization learning and change. In Career Anchors, third edition (Wiley, 2006), he shows how individuals can diagnose their own career needs and how man
More about Edgar H. Schein...

“All groups and organizations need to know how they are doing against their goals and periodically need to check to determine whether they are performing in line with their mission. This process involves three areas in which the group needs to achieve consensus leading to cultural dimensions that later drop out of awareness and become basic assumptions. Consensus must be achieved on what to measure, how to measure it, and what to do when corrections are needed. The cultural elements that form around each of these issues often become the primary focus for what newcomers to the organization will be concerned about because such measurements inevitably become linked to how each employee is doing his or her job.” 2 likes