Start by marking “There's a Map on My Lap!” as Want to Read:
There's a Map on My Lap!

There's a Map on My Lap! (The Cat in the Hat's Learning Library)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  180 ratings  ·  21 reviews
The Cat in the Hat introduces beginning readers to maps–the different kinds (city, state, world, topographic, temperature, terrain, etc.); their formats (flat, globe, atlas, puzzle); the tools we use to read them (symbols, scales, grids, compasses); and funny facts about the places they show us (“Michigan looks like a scarf and a mitten! Louisiana looks like a chair you ca ...more
Published September 24th 2002 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about There's a Map on My Lap!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There's a Map on My Lap!

Heather
We liked this book a lot. You learn all sorts of 'geography' words like latitude and longitude. It shows you how to read a map (with the legend). It has the traditional Dr. Suess type rhyme going, but some of the words make it too hard for a beginning reader.

My kids were inspired to pull out the maps and draw their own. Excellent reference for any study of geography or map unit.
Diane
This is quite a bit above my son's level, but he loves maps and the Cat in the Hat, so when he picked it out, I thought, "Why not?". It's good, with lots to look at and learn. Some of the images are very busy and therefore hard to parse, especially for a 4 year old who's never seen some of the things described before. He loved interacting with the book. Since we'll read it hundreds if times before returning it to the library, he might actually learn some of this stuff! I wish it weren't so USA c ...more
Dolly
Jan 25, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an entertaining and informative book about maps. With a fun, rhyming narrative, classic Dr. Seuss characters, and colorful background scenes of different deserts, it's a good book to read aloud with children.

The book shows different types of maps and how they are used. The basic concepts are covered and it shows how maps and charts are useful in different ways. I love that it even mentions that charts are used by aviators, especially since that was a huge part of my own aviation experie
Rosa Cline
What a wonderful way to introduce children to reading maps and knowing the various kinds of maps there are. How to read the 'key' and how to remember North, EAst, South and West etc. Really liked this approach to teaching this. My special needs teenage son AND my 3 year old granddaughter really enjoyed this book.
Evan
It was awesome and I liked it. My favorite part was the end because it showed a compass.

I used a map at the park ranger place. I use a map at the zoo. "Hey where is my map?" Evan said.

"I threw it away," Dad replied.

"You are the meanest dad in the whole wide world. I didn't care if it was all wrinkled up."

I went on vacation to Texas, New York,South Dakota, Arkansas, Illinois, Ohio, Nebraska, Wyoming, Tennessee, Kentucky, North Carolina, Georgia,Kansas, Oklahoma,Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, Penns
Sara
absolutely adorable. I will be teaching a three day geography camp in a couple of weeks and this will be great to introduce basic geo concepts to the kids!
Marcie
This is not much of a story or a poem, though in a Seuss-like way it is both, but it is effective in teaching map skills. My daughter wasn't interested in having me read it to her for almost a year. But I guess at almost 5 she is mature enough to follow the vocabulary (which is what this book is really about) and understand and enjoy maps, globes, charts, and plans.
Ayana Mishelle
CaT IN THE HAT introduces beginning readers to maps. A great book for all ages . reccommended for 1st -2nd grade but can be used for engagement or a hook in other grades who think the cat in the hat is baby baby . Dr. Suess did not write this book there is a whole series that you will just fall in love with by this author Tish Rabe
Cheryl
Nov 07, 2008 Cheryl rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Grades 3-5
Shelves: rhyming, maps
Good in conjunction with map study. It introduces lots of concepts--e.g., scale, compass rose, longitude/latitude--maybe too many for one session, but it can easily be read in installments. SmartBoard projection--world map, plan of a house. Follow-up activity: Kids label and illustrate a plan of the library.
Rachael
Good for introducing geography. Not up to snuff with Dr. Suess books that he actually wrote but still a good fun read.

This book has a lot of vocabulary in it and is a fun read. It would be great for using throughout a geography unit in a young (kindergarten or first grade) social studies class.
Kara Immel
This book is fabulous! It contains Geography words and helps illustrate what maps are and all the different kinds of maps. This is not only great for younger children but for older ones as well will get a kick out of the tongue twister language.
Jaime Stokes
Book Crawler
Love these dr. Suess books!
Shelly Lindsey
Love this book! Like most Dr.Suess books it is filled with rhyming words. It is focused around maps, which is great for intergrating Social Studies.
Lindsay
What a great book for teaching about maps through literacy! Good visuals and lots of fun. I particularly like the glossary at the end.
Mckinley
All about reading and using maps. I loved maps when I was young; this is a great intro to them for young beginners.
Gina hernandez
It was the funniest book that i ever had read it was the cutest book i have read to my little brother, and my sister
Jazmen Kearney
Good for talking about geography and the importance and function of mapsin the classroom.
Heather
I can't count how many times I've read this to my daughter. She loves it.
Stacy Vance
Great way to teach non-fiction to students in a fun way.
Brittany
A great book to use while teaching geography!
Erica
My personal favorite!
Abbie Arensdorf
Abbie Arensdorf marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Alycia
Alycia added it
Aug 24, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Nicole Noah roberts
Nicole Noah roberts marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Amira Elsheikh
Amira Elsheikh marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Sheila Miskelly
Sheila Miskelly marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
  • Oh Say Can You Seed?: All About Flowering Plants
  • Me on the Map
  • Down Comes the Rain
  • What Is the World Made Of?: All About Solids, Liquids, and Gases
  • Mapping Penny's World
  • Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventures #9: The US Capital Commotion
  • The African Safari Discovery (Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventure, #6)
  • The Japanese Ninja Surprise (Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventures, #3)
  • The Quiltmaker's Journey
  • Animals in Winter (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science. Stage 1)
  • Games and Puzzles from the Ice House (Magic Tree Hous Activity Book)
  • Multiplying Menace: The Revenge of Rumpelstiltskin
  • The Very Hungry Bear
  • School Days (Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa #3)
  • Zog
  • The Magic School Bus Wet All Over: A Book About The Water Cycle
  • The Moon Book
  • Going to the Sea Park

The Cat in the Hat's Learning Library (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • My, Oh My--A Butterfly!: All About Butterflies
  • Clam I am
  • Fine Feathered Friends: All about Birds
  • A Great Day for Pup!
  • Hurray for Today!: All About Holidays (Cat in the Hat's Learning Library)
  • I Can Name 50 Trees Today!: All About Trees
  • If I Ran the Rain Forest: All About Tropical Rain Forests
  • The Cat in the Hat's Learning Library: Inside Your Outside: All About the Human Body (Cat in the Hat's Learning Library)
  • Is a Camel a Mammal?
  • Oh say can you say di-no-saur?
There's No Place Like Space: All About Our Solar System (Cat in the Hat's Learning Library) Oh the Things You Can Do That Are Good for You! Oh, Baby, the Places You'll Go! Clam I am Big Snowman, Little Snowman (Disney Frozen) (Step into Reading)