Start by marking “The Tooth Book (Bright & Early Books(R))” as Want to Read:
The Tooth Book (Bright & Early Books(R))

The Tooth Book (Bright & Early Books (Bright and Early Board Books)

4.03  ·  Rating Details ·  7,071 Ratings  ·  165 Reviews
Library Binding, 48 pages
Published September 26th 2000 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Tooth Book (Bright & Early Books, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tooth Book (Bright & Early Books

Stacy
Mar 08, 2017 Stacy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Besides Seuss's wonderful off the wall humor, we enjoy the illustrations as well.
Wren | WrensReads
WrensReads Review:

I wish I read this book when I was first losing my teeth like seriously, this would have made me so happy to get rid of "set one" and get "set two" and I probably wouldn't have tried to untie knots with my teeth and so and so forth.

I just love the way these things are drawn, you know? You know what I am talking about. There is a certain artistry to the way Dr. Seuss' work is done, and it's marvelous and unique.

photo hqdefault_zpsftc3c7ab.jpg

I want to own everything Seuss.

Shout out to Bri who brought these b
midnightfaerie
Aug 21, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Looks like a Dr. Seuss book, but really isn't. Not the same style or fun. It wasn't just me that noticed it, but my 5 yr old, while reading it himself this morning, noticed it too. Just not one of our favorites, although some of the pictures were pretty silly and made him laugh, like the jellyfish trying to play the trombone. A cute book, but don't be expecting the originality that is Dr. Seuss in this one.
Danielle Meininger
This book is not good because I already know about teeth. Isaiah (4)
Jessie
Oct 10, 2012 Jessie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
Disappointing. For a book about teeth, it didn't mention brushing or flossing, just a general "take care of your teeth" with creepy large-toothed characters.

My biggest complaint about the book was that I didn't appreciate the name-calling examples "don't be stupid like..."
I also didn't like the suggestion to "don't bite your dentist... bite someone else instead"
Ummmm... how about don't bite people! For a book intended to be enjoyed by toddlers/preschoolers, the biting suggestion is ill-placed.
Mimi
Sep 22, 2011 Mimi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: younger-children
This is currently Jill's favorite book. My sister gave it to her less than two weeks ago, and Jill already walks around the house reciting it at random moments. I wish he used a different word than "dumb" near the end, but it honestly is dumb to break your teeth untying knots and removing bottle tops, so I guess it's not that bad. I just don't want Jill to start calling people dumb. She hasn't yet though! And the book does have some really good information about teeth. Mostly though, Jill just t ...more
Jen
Feb 09, 2017 Jen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm normally on board for all things Seuss, but this one was rather off. I appreciate the showing of the variety of teeth and the variety of those who have them (all kinds of animals) but there was a weird shaming thing going on for animals who don't have teeth, like they're lesser or something. And several times sense and facts were sacrificed to the rhyme, like the idea that creatures without teeth can't eat jam. Teeth are in no way required for jam. Don't tell kids lies.

And the rhyme scheme w
SaraLaLa
Jun 04, 2016 SaraLaLa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Along with The Ear Book, The Foot Book, and from what I guess, The Eye Book, this is just a book of rhymes about teeth. It touches on the purpose of teeth (eating, speech, and smiling for pictures, haha), and the dos and don'ts for maintenance (which is kind of cool, if you ask me). My 10 month old daughter is OBSESSED with these books.
gina
I really, really REALLY dislike the illustrations in this book. So much so that I wish we didn't own it. My son wants me to "read" it (Flip the pages while he looks, but isn't patient enough with this particular book to actually let me read more than a few words at a time before **flip, flip flip**) but even he seems disenchanted with the book, except for the front and back inside cover images which have shadows of various animals and their teeth. I have no idea why he wants me to read it every ...more
Robert
Jun 03, 2012 Robert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Robert by: flowers22
Shelves: fiction, rhyme, 2-6, dr-seuss, own, cfc
Not Dr. Seuss' finest work. Seuss explains that everyone has teeth: doctors, Jack-o-laterns, lions, etc. Except clams and snails and chickens. I am not certain why the change of pace there. Then he returns with the plea to take take care of one's teeth.

It's Dr. Seuss so it is good. But at the same time, it is not such a book one will hold up as the best.

I will say, however, it may be a good book to illustrate for our classroom door in March. Something a little different. Ray McKie is the illustr
Heather
May 23, 2017 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book
Sadie Devin
Sep 29, 2016 Sadie Devin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: el230b
This book is great for younger children to learn all about teeth, such as who has them, what happens to them and how to take care of them. It would be a good book to share with children who are learning how to brush their own teeth or are scared of going to the dentist. By using with book with children who are going to the dentist and possibly losing baby teeth, this is a great introduction for how to care for them and what not to do. This book gives a good lesson but keeps illustrations fun and ...more
Kaleb
Oct 31, 2013 Kaleb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is all about a young boy who is learning about teeth. Through out the book he is told all the different types of people and creature that have teeth. Also the boy is told the importance of them once you get your permanent teeth.

The main character is a young boy whose name is not mentioned throughout the book. He is young and does not know a lot about teeth. He learns all about them throughout the book. There are also a bunch of random not important characters. Some of them being a polic
Lindsay Garber
1. Personal Reaction: This book made me laugh all the way through, like most Dr. Seuss books do! I loved the bright illustrations that covered each page. Beginning readers will love reading this lighthearted book because of it’s goofy tone and intriguing illustrations.
2. Purposes/use in the classroom:
-Read aloud to make a curricular connection: Teachers can use this fun book to entertain their students and to teach them about an important part of our mouth-teeth! This would be a fun book to inco
Hannah Peterson
This picture book is about teeth. It shows many animals who have teeth and even some that do not have teeth. This book also tells you what you should and should not do when caring for your teeth. I could use this book to do a small lesson on keeping teeth sparkly white and what foods help your teeth get strong so they can stay around for a long time.
Sabrina Henry
This book is about teeth. It shares information about various teeth and who and what has teeth. I like the rhymes and the repetition as they can be good in helping children to stay focused and also in enjoying the story. There are some interesting words in this story which can be used to improve children's vocabulary. For example, broadcaster, clam, roast, etc.
The book is very funny and can be used to teach children about rhymes. Great book to use comfort or calm a child on his or her dentist
Lynn
My 5 yr old son read this book out loud to me. Although it is an "I-Can-Read" type of book, it is a more advanced version of this type of book. There were a number of words that my son needed assistance with. That being said though, he really enjoyed this story about how to take care of your teeth. He especially enjoyed the page with the "big boy" who ate too much junk food & sweets and was getting cavities. He said that he did not want to be like that boy. This is a very enjoyable book for ...more
Joy
This book came in a set of beginner books that my stepson bought for my daughter when she was a baby and it has recently become a favorite nighttime read. It is a Dr. Seuss book written under "Theo Lesig" with illustrations that are completely different than regular Seuss. As evidenced by the title, the book talks about teeth: Who has teeth, how you get two sets and what to do and not do with teeth. Like his other books, it rhymes but it is not nearly as silly. My five year old likes it and it i ...more
Angie
Dec 29, 2014 Angie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Synopsis: "A classic work by Dr. Seuss writing as Theo. LeSieg, with new illustrations by Joe Mathieu, about who has teeth, who doesn't, and how to keep the ones you have!"

My Review: It looks like a Dr. Seuss book but it doesn't feel or sound like a Dr. Seuss book. For some reason this didn't have the same flow as I am used to from his books. It didn't capture Munchkin's attention like they usually do either (he actually picked up another book to pretend to read instead). I was really looking fo
May 03, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun and informational book for kids! It tells them why they have teeth, other people who have teeth, the different types of animals that have teeth, and what is the difference between big kids and little kids teeth. It is fun to read a book that is dedicated entirely to teeth!

This book isn't your typical Dr. Seuss book because it was illustrated by Joe Mathieu, however it still has the typical Dr. Seuss style with its rhyming words on each page! Every reader big or small, short or tall
David Natiuk
I think the Tooth Book goes nicely with the Foot Book, The Ear Book, etc. I think there is something inherently more serious about Teeth than ears, feet or hands, however, so as the book deals with teeth falling out & getting broken... well, I guess it's just not my favorite thing to read.

It might not be the easiest to read out loud, or have the polished cadence of some of the best Dr. Seuss books, but my boys really enjoy it. I think it also helps them learn something of value, and therefor
Hayle Lincoln
I LOVE the illustrations in this children's book! They come to life and jump right off of the page. I have always been a big fan of Dr. Seuss, so I really enjoyed this book too. This book reminds me of my childhood, when I was a little girl. I would use this in my classroom by reading it to my students and then having a discussion about teeth. ALL about teeth! I would also want to make a main emphasis of how to properly take care of our teeth, so they can grow up and have healthy teeth! Lets hav ...more
Shanna Gonzalez
This book is a brief and playful introduction to the different kinds of teeth that are found in the world -- reminiscent of The Foot Book but not as good. The text is by Dr. Seuss and illustrations by Joe Mathieu; while children might enjoy it, it's not nearly in the leage of some of Seuss's best work, although it does include wordplay and the wonderful rhythmic text he is known for. It is disconcerting to hear Seussical rhyme with illustrations that are so different from his, and the effect is ...more
Meg McGregor
Oct 08, 2014 Meg McGregor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had ever read this book before, and I didn't know that Dr. Seuss wrote under the name of Theo. LeSieg, so I will definitely be looking for more books under that pseudonym.

This book explores the world of teeth.

Seuss explains why teeth are so important to both humans and animals.

He shows the many ways teeth can be lost or damaged. He also has creatures, like a clam, describe in detail, why not having teeth can be a real problem.

I love the bright and zany illustrations and know I will be reading
Jennifer Brinkmeyer
This book's dental hygiene is reduced to pandering by its lack of specificity (take care of your teeth rather than brush and floss). It actually neglects a popular counterargument from its target audience, who have first sets of teeth, by explaining that these teeth will be replaced without addressing why one should care for the first set. Furthermore, it says that losing the first set IS SCARY. Not can be, just is, teaching children that they HAVE to be afraid.
Amanda
Appropriately, I read this book to Caleb in the waiting room for his first ever dentist appointment. It's really cute. It just talks about how lots of "things" have teeth and how your secondary set is all you get so you have to take care of them. Good for toddlers learning about body parts and functions and preschoolers learning self help skills. I'm hoping to find it in a board book edition for my PAT kit.
Trina
Feb 06, 2008 Trina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with small children
My daughter wanted to read this book because (and I quote) "I have a loose tooth so I need to read The Tooth Book!" I love reading Dr. Seuss, the words just roll off the tongue and lift the spirits. We read this book a lot and it never gets old. I have a voice for all the people involved. I am glad that she is relating the things that are happening to her (i.e her loose tooth) to some of the stories she has been hearing since she was very young.
Angela
This is a great book to teach basic health. It is the tooth book that gives you information about teeth. You can teach rhyming words and repetition with this book. Along with the word tooth/teeth you hear the word "do" a lot. It relate all the things you can do with teeth. You can have the students tell/draw/write about the first time they lost a tooth or their favorite thing to do with their teeth.
Lindsay
I used this silly Dr. Seuss book to end a dental-care themed bilingual (Spanish/English) story time program I did in November 2012. Besides The Tooth Book, I read Cocodrilo va al Dentista and Molly at the Dentist, and I also retold The Bear's Toothache in Spanish for the program. Both Cocodrilo and Molly are more "informative" about taking care of one's teeth and visiting the dentist, but The Tooth Book adds a bit of fun.
Kate Puleo Unger
The Tooth Book by Dr. Seuss (writing as Theo. LeSieg) is so, so weird. And the drawings are quite terrifying to me. Christopher doesn't seem to mind them. It discuss the uses for teeth, but in very strange ways. Like opening bottle caps with your teeth! I do like the part about loosing teeth and growing grown up teeth, but otherwise, I'm not a fan of this book

MCC Children's Li...: dr suess 1 1 Mar 20, 2012 12:24PM
  • Berenstains' A Book (Bright and Early Books for Beginning Beginners)
  • It's Not Easy Being Big! (Bright & Early Books)
  • The Ear Book (Bright & Early Books)
  • Can You Tell Me How to Get to Sesame Street?
  • There's No Place Like Space: All About Our Solar System (Cat in the Hat's Learning Library)
  • Snug House, Bug House (Bright & Early Books)
  • I'll Teach My Dog a Lot of Words
  • Thomas and the School Trip (Thomas & Friends)
  • Glasses for D.W. (Step-Into-Reading, Step 3)
  • Snow (Beginner Books B-27)
  • It's Not Easy Being a Bunny
  • I Want to Be Somebody New! (Beginner Books(R))
  • The Jungle Book (Disney's Wonderful World Of Reading)
More about Dr. Seuss...

Bright and Early Board Books (8 books)
  • Dr. Seuss's ABC: An Amazing Alphabet Book! (Bright and Early Board Books)
  • The Alphabet Book (Bright & Early Board Books)
  • The Foot Book: Dr. Seuss's Wacky Book of Opposites (Bright and Early Board Books)
  • A Crack in the Track (Bright & Early Board Books)
  • Summer (Beginner Books)
  • Inside, Outside, Upside Down (Berenstain Bears Bright and Early Board Book)
  • Here Comes Peter Cottontail Board Book (Peter Cottontail) (Bright & Early Board Books(TM))