The Burning Shore (Courtney #4)

The Burning Shore (Courtney #4)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  2,441 ratings  ·  83 reviews
Centaine de Thiry grew up with privilege, wealth, and freedom on a sprawling French estate. Then war came crashing down around her, and a daring young South African aviator named Michael Courtney stole her heart amidst the destruction. But the tides of fate and battle sent the young woman on a journey across a dangerous sea to the coast of Africa.

When Centaine's ship is t
Published February 6th 2007 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 1985)

River God by Wilbur SmithBirds of Prey by Wilbur SmithWhen the Lion Feeds by Wilbur SmithPower of the Sword by Wilbur SmithThe Burning Shore by Wilbur Smith
Best of Wilbur A. Smith
5th out of 33 books — 37 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsThe Meat Market by James ChalkCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareMateguas Island by Linda  Watkins
Best Gripping Books
353rd out of 410 books — 387 voters

More lists with this book...

Erica Mukherjee
Sometimes, a good novel doesn’t know when to stop. Gone With the Wind comes to mind, as Scarlett is crying for Rhett’s departure and the reader is gnashing her teeth wondering what will happen when Scarlett “thinks about it tomorrow.”

Though The Burning Shores, by Wilbur Smith, isn’t in the same category as Margaret Mitchell’s classic, the book ends abruptly, leaving enchanted readers eager for a sequel. Fortunately, Smith wrote almost a dozen novels on the African exploits of the same family th...more
Marcris
Mentre il personaggio di Centaine iniziò come una stella gigantesca, luminosa e splendida, finì piccola piccola, mediocre, miserabile a tratti; quello di Lothar che peggio non poteva sembrare, quando era più piccolo, come il punto quasi invisibile e immobile che vide Centaine quando si allontanò con Garrick ed Anna, invece era più grande, più umano nonostante la crudeltà inutile di certe sue azioni. Alla fine risultò il più vero, il più coerente.

Pablos
Wilbur Smith swoją sagę o rodzie Courteneyów konstruował w bardzo ciekawy sposób. Pierwsze dwa tomy stanowiły całość, “Brama Chaki” natomiast niejako “zamykała” wątek Seana Courteneya. Rozgrywała się wiele lat później, a między wierszami dowiedzieliśmy się także wielu informacji o pozostałych postaciach, między innymi o Michaelu Courteneyu. Stąd też “Płonący brzeg” z początku czyta się dość dziwnie, bo doskonale wiemy, co Michaela czeka. Napięcie jest bardzo duże, czytelnik obawia się tego momen...more
Tania
Dark-Draco
In war torn France, Michael Courtney meets and falls in love with Centaine de Thiry, a young aristocrat living with her father and friend near the airfield he is stationed at. With both family's blessings, he proposes, but on the day of the wedding he watches his best friend blown from the sky. Seeking revenge, he realises, too late, that he cannot have a future with his love. Grief-stricken and pregnant, Centaine only suffers further as her family and lands are destroyed around her. Only then d...more
Art Tirrell

Immense; Formidable; Gigantic

I love books set in Africa and have been a fan of Wilbur Smith's writing for years. It's only recently, however, with the advent of the Kindle and subsequent re-publication of many of his early works, that I have been able to access his full body of work.
With this access has come the realization that his earlier works are even better than the two I cut my teeth on, his amazing novels "River God" and "The Seventh Scroll."
The Burning Shore is the 5th in the Courtney fa...more
Mark Edlund
Historical fiction series
I hate when I read series out of order. I thought the books on the "Courtneys of Africa" would precede the Courtney series. Wrong. I got my first clue when Michael Courtney is introduced as a WWI fighter pilot. This book has a much stronger and central female character in Centaine. The dialogue is still florid but nobody touches his action sequences or stories about the wildlife. Now to go back to the beginning with "Where the Lion Feeds".
No Canadian references
Henri
I would have given this one a 5 star rating, but unfortunately there are 150ish pages just past the middle of the book that sort of bored me a little. Other than a few small issues I can't take anything away from it.

Now for what I loved most of all.

Like many, I have been saddened by the death of Sean Courtney in the earlier Courtney novel, and this one playing out in an overlapping timeline, he does make his appearance again, and it was wonderful to read about it. If I am right, The Burning Sho...more
aPriL meows 'n growls TLDR
Fever pitch adventure and a lot of interesting information about 1916 France and South Africa with exciting WW I airplane dogfights thrown in (think Snoopy) all quite vividly described. Big personalities and romantic in the way Star Wars (1977) or Indiana Jones was meant, only more bloody and full of angst and survivor's guilt. Fun, fast, perfect for buttered popcorn night. Men are brave and women are tough, everybody with marvelous fighting spirits and more than a mite crazed with passions. Hoo...more
Billy Parsoon
Quarta di copertina:
Centaine de Thiry non può dimenticare Michael Courteney. L'ha conosciuto in Francia, durante la guerra, quando il giovane pilota sudafricano imperversava contro l'aviazione tedesca; l'ha ammirato e lo ha amato, senza limiti. E quando l'ha perduto ha capito di dover raggiungere la sua terra. Ma l'Africa che, dopo una navigazione avventurosa, accoglie la giovane donna non è solo il continente abbagliante e fascinoso dei racconti di Michael, è anche una terra assetata, ostile,...more
Gloria75
Non mi ha convinto del tutto, a tratti interessante e coinvolgente, a tratti lento.
La protagonista e' una ragazza decisa, passionale e forte, perde il suo primo amore e dalla Francia vuole a tutti i costi arrivare in Africa per conoscere la terra di Micheal, il padre che il suo bimbo non conoscera' mai, ma si trova ad affrontare prima l'affondamento della nave su cui viaggia, poi il deserto e mesi difficili. Lothar, assunto dal nonno del bambino, la trova e sembra rifiorire l'amore ma non dura p...more
Jegan
Good historical novel. Made scenes of war to human relationships to details appear interesting. Those who read the book and not to spoil it but know what I mean, the name should have been Ernie.
Scott
This book was a bit tedious; one huge disaster after another for the young heroine (I forget her name). Within the span of 25 pages she loses her fiance, father, horse, estate/home and forced to endure hardship after hardship (while pregnant). The transport ship she is on heading for Africa is torpedoed; countless others are lost. She is attacked by a huge great white and gets away by feeding it her life raft mate (all for the sake of her unborn child); it was a pretty brutal telling. If you enj...more
Andrew Bulmer
While it remains a rollicking good time as Wilbur Smith's Africa novels typically are, The Burning Shore seems a bit tired and the language less full of life and flourish as the earlier novels. It's definitely an enjoyable read, but it lacks the true genius present in say, The Lion Feeds for example.
Stuart
Oct 10, 2008 Stuart rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
The best of an excellent series. Ignore the first half (based on a well written story about airmen in The First World War) and get on to Centaine's struggle for survival in the Namibian Desert with the help of two elderly San (bushmen). I don't have a good memory for stories but even I remembered how engrossing this episode was in my first reading. If you never read anything else by Wilbur Smith, read the latter 200 pages of the Burning Shore (and you will be hooked on the other stories!)
Avary
This was recommended to me because we are going to Namibia in September. At times Wilbur Smith is a bit raw for me, but this was an interesting book.
Arpita Kalra
Whew! what a burning book..action packed….and I couldn’t rest till I finished it from cover to cover.Its big like a thriller movie and unbelievable at places,especially at the end where I cant help but compare it to Gone With the Wind which left me a little cross.
I remember laughing out loud ( the romantic bits) crying in turn and your stomach will hurl at some vivid bits too.
Otherwise very readable ,even informative ,expect big big drama.
Nix
Todos odiamos a Centaine de Thiry, verdad? por lo menos desde las últimas 50 páginas.
Marilynn A Grieser
Ok, it's official:I'm hooked on Wilbur Smith! My 4th book in as many months. His writings are addicting and grab me each time within 15 minutes of starting the book. I feel like I know the Courtney family well and have learned about South Africa and it's early struggles, successes and cruelty to many animals and people, especially involving elephants and the San peoples. Yes, I've downloaded #5:Power of the Sword.
Ty Parsons
Was a bit slow, too detailed, and with too many facts and characters straight from the start, but it eventually opened up. The details, characters and facts continued, which make the book special, but they became more likable for my taste. The French part of the book may have set the scene, but seemed almost mundane and went nowhere. It's not 'till the African part, did the story really come alive.
Luckngrace
The Burning Shore follows the pregnant Courtney widow as she flees war toward Africa, her almost-husband's homeland. We see ship wreck, sharks, loved ones searching across the burning sands, natives so strange they're viewed as animals. It is also a study of love in it's many and various forms. I wish I could read a Wilbur Smith book every week for the rest of my life.
Naomi
Centaine de Thiry comes in contact with the Courtney family when she mets and loves Michael, an airman in France during the war. Her home is over run by the Germans and already with child she prepares to marry Michael. Tragedy intervenes and her life takes an entirely different turn. She comes to his African home through compelling hardship. A exciting story with more to come.
Karen Chase
Jun 28, 2012 Karen Chase rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Historical fiction authors and editors, those who love African safari.
Recommended to Karen by: The father of a long-time friend.
One of my favorite historical novels, Wilbur A. Smith transports the reader through not only a great historical adventure, but he does it with just the right amount of description of the people, time and place. It's a go-to manual for how to write great characters, great scenes, and weave in history in a way that doesn't make it feel like a textbook of facts.
Mel
Fantastic. One of the best books I have read in a long time. The story pulled me in and took me to many places from Europe to Africa from one adventure to another. Although a lot happens in his story it is woven together so well that all parts fit together. It is only when you have put the book down at the end do your realise all of the adventures you have been on
Rhiannon
My favourite Wilbur Smith book! (Although I recommend the whole Courtney series. :)

A brilliantly woven tale with joy and hardship of the most extreme kind, creating arguably one of the finest women written in fiction.

Cannot recommend the ride this book gives enough..African jewels, historical times, amazingly wounded and hardened characters.
Marianne
So far I've read this series with my jaw dropping! Smith is up there with the all-time great authors. He is a master storyteller.
I highly recommend his books.
Manuela
E' con questo romanzo che ho conosciuto Wilbur. Indimenticabile, grazie alla straordinaria avventura di Centaine, dalla Francia al sole del deserto. E poi Lothar De La Rey è uno dei personaggi maschili meglio tratteggiati che io abbia mai letto. Non leggerlo sarebbe un sacrilegio.
Ian
The fourth book in the Courtney series, set at the same time as book three with a number of cross-references, but also written in a way that you could enjoy it without having read the others. I think I enjoyed this one the most of the four, with another three left in the series.
Andrea Buschman
I had never heard of this author. I found this book on a free cart at the library. It's great. Adventure, love, war, African adventure. Apparently this is the first of a series. Never before have I been so happy to hear that. And they're available on Kindle. Sweet.
Shannon Gale
This is my favourite Wilbur Smith book. (yet) I loved it from start to finish. Centaine's story of survival in the African dessert with the San Bushmen is a fascinating and exciting read. There are huge twists in every chapter and I cried multiple times. Excellent read.
  • Whitethorn
  • A King's Commander (Alan Lewrie, #7)
  • Hitler's Peace
  • Stormchild
  • Josephine
  • Kringe in 'n bos
  • The Generals (Revolution, #2)
  • The Queen and Lord M (Queen Victoria, #2)
  • The Tower
  • Mysteries of Winterthurn
  • Jock of the Bushveld
  • In Gallant Company (Richard Bolitho, #5)
  • Look Away (U.S. Civil War, #1)
Wilbur Smith is the bestselling author of many novels, each meticulously researched on his numerous expeditions worldwide. His bestselling Courtney series includes Assegai, The Sound of Thunder, Birds of Prey, Monsoon, and Blue Horizon. His other books include Those in Peril, River God, Warlock, The Seventh Scroll, and The Sunbird. His books are now translated into twenty-six languages and have so...more
More about Wilbur Smith...
River God (Ancient Egypt, #1) The Seventh Scroll (Ancient Egypt, #2) Warlock: A Novel of Ancient Egypt (Ancient Egypt, #3) When the Lion Feeds (Courtney, #1) Monsoon (Courtney #10)