Start by marking “Taken By the Laird” as Want to Read:
Taken By the Laird

Taken By the Laird (Regency Flings #2)

A bride on the run...

A young lady escapes to Scotland in the dead of night, desperate to avoid the horrid marriage her guardian had arranged. Traveling alone, fearing for her safety, Brianna Munro finds shelter at the imposing Castle Glenloch. She intends to stay for just one night...but then Brianna encounters Hugh Christie, Laird Glenloch, and all her best-laid plans van
Published September 29th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Taken By the Laird, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taken By the Laird

Jessica
Apr 08, 2013 Jessica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I was very much torn while reading this book.

I found it to be incredibly entertaining and easy reading-wise which is always a plus. I couldn't help but be compelled to continue past each chapter's end, just to see if the Brianna would finally figure out the Glenloch ghost or that Hugh would let her leave the castle.

On the other hand, however, there were some definite flaws with Maguire's writing. Firstly, she was quite redundant; I feel the book could have shed 50 pages or so based on the amount
Paranormal Romance
On the run from an evil guardian and a disgusting betrothed, the heroine finds shelter for the night in a run down castle only to be found by the laird. He's returned to his keep, reluctantly because of memories of his less then satisfying first marriage, to get to the bottom of some money that's gone missing from his bootlegging business. A snow storm secludes the pair in his castle. Alone due to a ghost that haunts the place so that no servants will stay the night, the two quickly become lover ...more
Liz Stevens
Jul 10, 2013 Liz Stevens rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel starts off with an heiress hell bent on escaping ANY marriage, but currently the one arranged for her, to a corset-wearing lecher, who runs into a smuggling satyr hiding from conniving ladies, but with no issues debauching virgins of a lesser class.
Cue aggravation and wanting to choke the crap out of the male lead, because at this point, you can't REALLY call him the hero, he's more the hemorrhoid on the asshole of who should be the hero.
Cue background. The story morphs into a frust
Amanda
Apr 04, 2011 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I kept going between 3 stars and 4...but settled on 4.
I would defiantly read more of Margo Maguire's books.
The storyline moved along at a good pace with one exception - the ghost part was interesting but it dragged, there were times that it seemed to deliver no new information and was just stuck in the chapters as a filler.
If you like Scottish historical romances, you should look this author up.
manic_reader
Mar 23, 2011 manic_reader rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really did not like this book. Hugh basically seduces Brianna, after her insistent No's because shes a governess and I quote -"Her talents were wasted in the schoolroom" p151.
He is a spoiled child who gets mad at her when he finds out shes a lady and he has to marry her. I started skimming after they get married.

Dont recommend it.
I_love_a_happily_ever_after
Oh My Margo! I have said before that your books were a bit on the spicy side for me, and this one was no different. ;o) However, I still LOVED this book. The story is fantastic. I loved the element of the ghosts and I loved the setting of the dilapidated Scottish Castle. Your characters come alive on the pages and have realistic goals and modivation.
LInda L
Pretty good, but not fantastic. I love the Scottish genre, but this was not one of the best. It was probably a 3 on a scale of 1 to 5. Not terrible, but not all that good either.
Terree
Nov 14, 2011 Terree rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. I liked the characters, the story line, and I like the little mystery too. it was a good read :)
Judi
Judi rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2013
Lahn's  Dahksahna
Lahn's Dahksahna rated it liked it
Dec 16, 2012
Teresa
Teresa rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2011
Tonya Price
Tonya Price rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2014
Janka
Janka rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2012
Alison McKinney
Alison McKinney rated it did not like it
Dec 17, 2009
Tuesday Wooton
Tuesday Wooton rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2012
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was ok
Oct 14, 2010
Gillian
Gillian rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2014
Laura rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2012
Remonde
Remonde rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2014
Sandra
Sandra rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2012
Rute D' Vasconcelos Cunha
Rute D' Vasconcelos Cunha rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2013
Jujubee
Jujubee rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2015
Radia
Radia rated it really liked it
May 27, 2014
Audi
Audi rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2012
Areadne Andre  Geor  Petaal
Areadne Andre Geor Petaal rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2014
Esther Bea
Esther Bea rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2016
Fannie
Fannie rated it liked it
Nov 09, 2012
Stacey Strait
Stacey Strait rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Her Scottish Groom
  • Highland Dragon
  • Seducing a Scottish Bride (MacKenzie, #6)
  • Loved By a Warrior (The Warrior King, #2)
  • Highland Heat (Highlander, #3)
  • My Devilish Scotsman (MacDonell Brides, #2)
  • Possessed by the Highlander (The MacLerie Clan #3)
  • The Highlander's Sword (Highlander #1)
  • The Border Lord
  • The Irresistible MacRae (The Highland Lords, #3)
  • Highland Hawk (Highland Brides, #7)
  • Highland Rebel: A Tale of a Rebellious Lady and a Traitorous Lord
As a nice, sane break from the drama and fast pace of working as a registered nurse in an intensive care unit, Margo Maguire returned to college to study history, and fell in love. Writing about the historical characters she encountered in her classes was a good way to unwind from a crazy day in the unit. She soon started creating her own fictional characters and putting them into historical setti ...more
More about Margo Maguire...

Regency Flings (5 books)
  • Wild (Regency Flings, #1)
  • The Rogue Prince (Regency Flings, #3)
  • Seducing the Governess
  • Brazen (Regency Flings, #5)