Start by marking “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” as Want to Read:
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

3.52  ·  Rating Details  ·  29,622 Ratings  ·  2,445 Reviews
Today, F. Scott Fitzgerald is known for his novels, but in his lifetime, his fame stemmed from his prolific achievement as one of America's most gifted story writers. "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," a witty and fantastical satire about aging, is one of his most memorable stories.

In 1860 Benjamin Button is born an old man and mysteriously begins aging backward. At
Published August 14th 2007 by Scribner (first published 1922)

Forrest Gump by Winston GroomThe Devil Wears Prada by Lauren WeisbergerJurassic Park by Michael CrichtonJumanji by Chris Van AllsburgMary Poppins by P.L. Travers
I Only Watched the Movie!
18th out of 954 books — 5,544 voters
The Princess Bride by William GoldmanThe Notebook by Nicholas SparksThe Devil Wears Prada by Lauren WeisbergerThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienStardust by Neil Gaiman
The MOVIE was BETTER than the BOOK
97th out of 874 books — 9,274 voters

More lists with this book...

Jason Koivu
Oct 07, 2015 Jason Koivu rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
If you read this backwards it totally makes sense!
Nandakishore Varma
Goodreads is serendipitous! I have been planning to read this for a long time, but somehow kept on putting it off. I suddenly came across Fatty Bolger's review in my feed. It was during my lunch hour, so I Googled for a free version online, found it, and read it.

Surprisingly, I liked the story a lot better than I was expecting to. Unlike the movie, which has a heavy dose of pathos, the story is an out-and-out fantasy based on an outlandish premise: what would happen if one aged in reverse? This
Paquita Maria Sanchez
First of all, how is there an entire movie here? Yeah, yeah, it would probably be best to come back to that.

My overall vote is "meh?" From a clunky start, this short story waxes and wanes in a similar fashion to its title character. All that I could think while reading the first two sections was how Fitzgerald's dialogue and descriptions of character behavior were the literary equivalent of cutting paper dolls out of vellum and proclaiming them to be sentient creatures. Along with being generall
Nishat
Dec 14, 2015 Nishat rated it liked it
This fairly distinguished creation of F. Scott Fitzgerald originally published in 1922 with gorgeous prose, has been always known for the extraordinary story that it has to offer.

Books that you give 3 stars, are the books that you share an absolute perplexing and uncomfortable experience with. Because they stand for something you cannot deny, but at the same time, they lack something you cannot as well necessarily overlook. And The Curious Case of Benjamin Button published as a short story, has
Mia (Parentheses Enthusiast)
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." -Søren Kirkegaard

This wonderful short story blurs a lot of lines. It's definitely a satire about aging and how it affects one's position in society, but it's also unequivocally a bittersweet tragedy. A whimsical odyssey in reverse, a story of falling in and out of love, a rumination on memory, a chronicle of one odd branch of a family tree.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button truly is all of these things, but first and forem
Inder Suri
I have never read anything like this before.
When you pick up a book and you know that it is more a short-story than a novel, it's obvious you can't expect much from the book. It will either be a short tale telling you something related to a significant subject and maximum it can do is to give you a heartwarming and a satisfying ending.

But this book was something more. It was different. Yes, like many others, I already knew those two words very strongly related to this book i.e, "Aging Backwards"
Magdalena
I've seen the movie (twice), and I've been looking forward to reading the short story that the movie is based for a while now. The movie The Curious Case of Benjamin Button has very little in common with the book. The name is the same, and the core is the same, Benjamin Button was born old and as he grows older he grows younger both in the book and the movie. But in the book, he is raised by his father and not abandon at birth and all the rest of the book differs also from the movie.

I liked the
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Originally published as a short-story in Collier's magazine's "Tales of the Jazz Age" in 1922, Fitzgerald's quirky, fairy-tale-like story of a man born at age seventy who gets younger has been widely available as a novella for many years. This collector's edition has been released to coincide with the movie: it's a lovely little black hardcover with glossy pages and wonderful colour illustrations by Calef Brown.

Benjamin Button was born in 1860 at age 70: bald, shrunken, with a long beard and a q
Hayat
Dec 22, 2015 Hayat rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
I've watched and enjoyed the brilliant movie adaptation of The Curious Case of Benjamin Button so when I came across the very short audiobook on YouTube, I couldn't resist.

“Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.”
Benjamin Button is born in 1860 as an old man and begins to slowly and mysteriously age backward to the bewilderment and consternation of his family.

The whole thing is a metaphor for the inevitable march of time and our inescapable fate...ageing and de
Jean
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is a strange little fantasy about a baby born in 1860, who appears to be a withered decrepit old man. He goes on to live his life in reverse, doing all the normal things - running a business, marrying and having children, going to war, attending school and college, and ending up in kindergarten and under the care of a nurse. It was written by Scott Fitzgerald in 1922. Clearly it is a social satire.

In his introduction, Fitzgerald says that he came across a sim
tyranus
Jun 09, 2016 tyranus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
* Emin olmadığınız bir soruyla karşılaştığınızda, ilk aklınıza gelen şıkkı işaretleyin; çünkü ilk akla gelen çoğu zaman doğrudur denirdi hepimize. Ama her zaman öyle olmuyor işte, bazen istisnalar da oluyor. Bu kitap da bahsettiğim istisnalardan biri oldu benim için. İlk okuduğumda fantastik bir hikaye olarak değerlendirmiştim sanırım. İkinci kere okuduğumda anladım ki, kitap aslında bir toplum eleştirisidir. Tüm farklılıklarına rağmen tüm çocukları/bireyleri bilinen bir yolda, kabul edilen yön ...more
Farnoosh Brock
Apr 13, 2013 Farnoosh Brock rated it it was amazing
I read the book after watching the movie and generally, I always read the book first if it came out first. And Fitzgerald definitely came out before movies and films :)!

Loved both but especially the book. I found it amusing that Fitzgerald was almost mocking little Benjamin whose entire dilemma he had created in his imagination.... And it is a very deeply reflective book - I don't know why but I kept thinking about my own life and what it would feel like to age backwards ...

The writing is exquis
Ziba
Mar 14, 2015 Ziba rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing! In no way did this feel like a short-story. Incredible journey. Loved it!
Tempo de Ler
'O Estranho Caso de Benjamin Button' é um dos livros que me ofereceu mais prazer a contemplar as implicações do seu conteúdo do que propriamente a lê-lo.

Este livro é a narrativa apressada das memórias de vida de Benjamin; voando sobre as diversas fases da sua vida, sem perder tempo, debruçando-se apenas sobre o essencial. A excêntrica particularidade destas memórias é que a vida de Benjamin decorreu no sentido inverso: nasceu idoso e à medida que 'envelhece' fica cada vez mais novo.

Mas não nos d
Corinne
This short story begins as Mr. Roger Button is bustling about Baltimore, waiting for the birth of his first born child. The reception he receives as he arrives at the hospital gives him hints that all is NOT right with his child. And it is a MOST curious case: young Button was born old - as in, beard, watery eyes, wrinkles. OLD. Benjamin, as he's named, prefers cigars over rattles and is more comfortable with his grandfather than other tots.

What's even more interesting is that Benjamin grows you
Sumirti Singaravel
Jul 26, 2014 Sumirti Singaravel rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All those who love literature n wild imaginations
""Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen"

I don't know whether Fitzgerald got inspired by these lines of thought by Mark Twain, but I can assure you that the above quote sums up this whole short story except that Benjamin Button was born at the age of seventy, approach till the stage of milk-suckling baby, and definitely leads not a life of 'infinitely happy'.

Succinct though it may be, it leaves one with deep thoughts,
Salymar
Aug 09, 2012 Salymar rated it it was amazing
Best tearjerker and thought-provoking story I have read in years.

It got me thinking about life once again. If you look deeply into the message of the story you'll be stunned. The message is simply 'Life isn't measured in minutes, but in moment' and we are given a short time, we must be wise and sure on how we make the most of it.

The novel left me a question that still bugs me until now: Do you still wish you could turn back the clock?

'Some people, were born to sit by a river. Some get struck by
Beth F.
I don’t read a lot of short stories because I like having the opportunity to spend longer periods of time getting to know the characters. But I was curious to read this story because the premise sounded interesting and also because Brad Pitt made me do it.

Last night was my company’s holiday party and since I didn’t get home until sometime between 2:30 and 3:00 in the morning, suffice it to say that I was feeling a tad under the weather today. Reading a short story was right up my alley and so I
Huzeyfe
May 20, 2015 Huzeyfe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bir solukta okunabilecek bir kitap. Yakın zamanda Muhteşem Gatsby'i okumak istiyorum o nedenle o kitap için bir hazırlık olsun diye okudum.

Fikir olarak çok güzel bir kitap. Zaten filmini de yaptılar ama kitabı okuduktan sonra bu kadar sade ve kısa bir kitaptan nasıl o kadar uzun ve görece yavaş tempolu bir film çıkardılar merak ettim doğrusu.

Genelde kitaplar filmlerden daha güzel olur. Öyle olmasaydı filmler kitaplardan uyarlanmaz tam tersi kitaplar filmlerden yazılırdı ama sanırım burada tersin
Dulce Espinosa
Pues no me gustaron todos los relatos por eso 3 estrellas. No sé por qué casi no me gustó, si disfruté The Great Gatsby mucho, hasta pensaba releerlo en este mes... pero no va a pasar jajajaja
Lavinia
Jan 01, 2009 Lavinia rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009, fiction, in-en
An interesting and pretty original idea. Since it's a story, it moves quite rapidly through Benjamin's life, but you get the point. It reminded me of Eliade's novella, Youth without youth, except in that one the old man gets younger right away, struck by lightening.

Too bad the movie sucks. I successfully wasted almost 3 hours of my life to see a brilliant idea transformed into a cheap love story that has (almost) nothing to do with Fitzgerald's original story.
Miguel
Jul 02, 2014 Miguel rated it it was amazing
O Estranho Caso de Benjamin Button certificou-me o talento indomável, incontrolável e ingovernável de F. Scott Fitzgerald. A sua escrita poética suspirante não nos deixa intactos. Pelo contrário, de tão harmónica e melíflua, pode-nos conduzir à adulação excessiva.
As histórias que o autor inventa têm, muitas das vezes, um núcleo recriminador, mas as matérias sobrepostas a esse centro podem não agradar gregos e troianos.
Este é um conto acerca da idade. Os acontecimentos da vida estão já quase todo
Estefani (Fiction Jungle)
3.5 Stars

Great. Completely different and much less emotional than the movie.
Andreea Pop
The movie is ten times better.
❅ Eze ❅
Mar 30, 2016 ❅ Eze ❅ rated it liked it
En muchos aspectos me gusto mas la pelicula que el libro. Las obras distan mucho la una de la otra. Pero al final es un buen cuento.
Nov 18, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing
Loved this short story! Darn near perfect to me.
Ümit
Öteki olmanın ve hayta 1-0 geride başlamanın neler demek olduğunu çok ilginç bir yolla anlatır bu öykü. O günlerde bu öteki, siyahilerdir; bugünlerde başka bir sürü şey. Ama öz hiç değişmez. Her şeye karşı ayakta durup hayatı yaşamak ise mümkündür. Fakat zordur da.

Bu arada şu baskısının tercümesi çok daha iyi, onu tercih etmek lazım bence.
Paul
Nov 25, 2015 Paul rated it it was amazing
Make no mistake; 'The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button' is a fairy tale. There is no attempt to give any kind of explanation for the 'curious' events that the story revolves around; this is not science fiction.

As fairy tales go, however, this really is a corker. There are comedic moments and tragic moments, frivolous passages and portentous passages; everything you could wish for from a great fairy tale... except, perhaps, an obvious moral to the story.

It's difficult to draw any sort of life less
Abhinav
3 to 3.5 stars to this short novel by F. Scott Fitzegerald.

This happens to be the first time I've read anything written by Fitzgerald. Don't know how true is it but I read somewhere that this was his breakthrough novel of sorts. Not the most remarkable thing I've read, honestly. But the author presents a more or less accurate reflection of American society in the late 19th century & the early 20th century. Benjamin Button's family affairs also managed to retain some amount of interest throug
Nazlıhan
May 07, 2016 Nazlıhan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Konusu itibariyle ilgi çekici bir kitap. Yaşlı olarak doğan Benjamin'in toplum tarafından dışlanması sade bir dille anlatılmış. Okurken keşke biraz daha detay olsaydı, keşke roman olsaydı dedim.
  • Memento
  • The Night at the Museum
  • A Dog's Tale
  • The Matrix
  • Madame Doubtfire
  • Who Censored Roger Rabbit? (Roger Rabbit, #1)
  • The Nightingale and the Rose
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes/Book 2
  • The End of the Party
  • 10 Things I Hate about You
  • The Usual Suspects
Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald was an American writer of novels and short stories, whose works have been seen as evocative of the Jazz Age, a term he himself allegedly coined. He is regarded as one of the greatest twentieth century writers. Fitzgerald was of the self-styled "Lost Generation," Americans born in the 1890s who came of age during World War I. He finished four novels, left a fifth unfini ...more
More about F. Scott Fitzgerald...

“For what it’s worth: it’s never too late or, in my case, too early to be whoever you want to be. There’s no time limit, stop whenever you want. You can change or stay the same, there are no rules to this thing. We can make the best or the worst of it. I hope you make the best of it. And I hope you see things that startle you. I hope you feel things you never felt before. I hope you meet people with a different point of view. I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you’re not, I hope you have the courage to start all over again.” 2688 likes
“Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.” 895 likes