Start by marking “Power of the Sword (Courtney #5)” as Want to Read:
Power of the Sword (Courtney #5)

Power of the Sword (Courtney #5)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  2,215 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Sasha Courtney was groomed by his French-born mother to take control of the Courtney Mining and Finance Company, whose font of wealth was sown deep beneath African soil. But Sasha's brother, Manfred, had been trained by his renegade father to be a hunter--of lions, and of men.

As the two boys became men, they took on the extraordinary powers of each parent: Sasha, a man in
Mass Market Paperback, 880 pages
Published February 6th 2007 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Power of the Sword, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Power of the Sword

River God by Wilbur SmithBirds of Prey by Wilbur SmithWhen the Lion Feeds by Wilbur SmithThe Burning Shore by Wilbur SmithPower of the Sword by Wilbur Smith
Best of Wilbur A. Smith
5th out of 33 books — 42 voters
The Reluctant Bride by Beverley EikliMarksman by David        CookFirebolt by Adrienne  WoodsThe Last Gift by Carla AchesonThe Medea Complex by Rachel Florence Roberts
best historical fiction in my opinion 3
64th out of 147 books — 71 voters

More lists with this book...

Henry Brown
This novel's setting is South Africa, from the early days of the Great Depression up to the beginning of Apartheid. I've long considered Wilbur Smith an armchair social anthropologist, and it may not be as evident in the characters of this book, but he certainly gave every last one of them some serious flaws...so much so that it's difficult for me to decide who the hero is. I guess I'd have to name Centaine Courtney as the heroine. She may be an adulterous, ruthless capitalist opportunist who de ...more
Lee
Wilbur Smith is a true master of adventure fiction, but this installment in the Courtney family saga is a disappointment. After a strong opening with the big, beautifully-crafted action scenes that are typical of Smith's work, the book descends into a plodding soap opera that eventually fizzles out. Power of the Sword contrasts poorly with The Burning Shore, the previous book in the series, where Smith was on his game from the start to (almost) finish.
Pablos
Czyn, którego dopuściła się Centaine w związku ze swoim drugim dzieckiem spowodował, że zamiast tym bardziej oczekiwać na dalszy ciąg miałem kłopoty z utrzymaniem uwagi przy lekturze “Prawa miecza”. Nie kupuję tego, nie jestem w stanie przyjąć do wiadomości takiego rozwiązania swoich spraw, jakie zastosowała młoda Francuzka. I to jest pierwszy powód, przez który lektura powieści trwała bardzo długo.

Drugim powodem jest coś znacznie gorszego: fabuła tej książki jest tak kompletnie przewidywalna, ż
cathepsut
Mike
Wilbur Smith delivers again. This guy is shooting up to favorite author status for me. This is the fifth book of his I have read, and they all follow the same Courtney family of South Africa. At this point, we have entered the World War II era and the book ends just after the war.

Smith's books have it all. History, adventure, sex appeal, tough guys, and everything else you could ask for in a fun read. I understand the criticisms by people about Smith's take on African people and women, but I th
Srikanth Manda
David
I found this book to be pretty amazing and fascinating. It really played with the idea of grey areas and sometimes I really wasn't sure who I should have been rooting for. If you'd rather a clear cut good vs. evil then this book isn't for you. I was however, unaware when I picked this book up that is was part of a series and I just hope I enjoy the others as much as I enjoyed this one.
Mark Edlund
History series
If Smith could just write action and avoid dialogue I would like his books more (maybe). A continuation of the Courtney saga getting us up to the end of the second world war and goes through the Olympic games. Villains are bad, heroes are good but does no one realize the blacks are actually human as well?
No Canadian references
Marianne
Each one of the books in this series is just jaw-dropping! They are so sweeping, in subject matter and character development. Smith's writing takes me to places I will never go and experience things I would otherwise never know.

I have learned so much about Africa, historical and geographical and political.
Henri
This could be called "The battle of the bastard brothers."
Manfred and Shasa meets for the first time in Walvis Bay when Centaine, Shasa's mother closes down Lothar's factory. Here starts the battle between the main characters of this novel.
From diamonds, to politics, Smith keeps the reader turning pages.
One thing that keeps getting to me in this novel, is that throughout the novel, I could not decide on my favorite of the brothers. Smith writes it so that one moment you like Shasa and you are
Naomi
Centaine de Thiry Courtney finds herself and her family on the edge just as the great depression starts. To preserve her gold mines and wealth she ends up destroying her former lover, Lothar De La Ray. Her son, Manfred De La Ray whom she has never seen having given him up at birth comes along to the fore of this part of the Courtney saga along with his half-brother Sasha Courtney. World War II begins and her sons are on opposite sides. Manfred ending up before the war in the Olympic Games in Ber ...more
Linda
Wilbur Smith is one of my favorite authors. Love the sweep of history and descriptions of South Africa. -The Saga goes on.This one covers the pre-aparteid period right before WWII with the rise of Hitler, and the formation of the gold mine unions. And the problems with the family fortunes due to the world wide Depression. The one illegitimate grandson brought up prep school English and polo and wanting to be a flyer like his dad and the other, brought up poor and tough , pro-Afrikaener and pro N ...more
Daleaz
Dec 12, 2014 Daleaz added it
Shelves: ebook
The Courtney series continues to improve...with excitement and surprise.
Konstantina_pap
This book was a real torture! The theme of two brothers that didn't even know it and the hatred between them might be interesting, but here there wasn't some real interaction between those two. We were following the lives of several different people, that met each other some time in their lives, but there wasn't a climax. At last, it was one the most tiresome books, I've ever read.
Sonny
Wilbur Smith's book is a powerful and mermerizing story of South Africa. In reading the book, one feels transported to that incredible land with its wildlie and amazing history. The twists and turns of the plot lead where you would never expect, eventually giving one the feeling of being there as the South African government takes form. This book was hard to put down.

Ruth
c1986. This book dwelt on a little known chapter of South Africa's history and makes for thrilling reading. FCN: Manfred de la Rey, Shasa Courtney, Centaine de Thiry, Lothar de la Rey, Swart Hendrick. FWFTB: boyhood, adversaries, savagery, Highveld, Afrikaner. "they shall be given over to the power of the sword; they shall be a portion for jackals" Psalm 63:10.
Fan Francis
I read this a long time ago, and it is still amazing to be able to read this long long saga of the Courtneys, de la Reys fighting it out and shaping the future of South Africa in the middle of WW2. It is a history lesson as to how SA adopted apartheid, but the story is engrossing all the while. It took me close to a month to finish but feally satisfying at the end.
Mel
The second book in the series and once again a wonderfully written book. Unfortunately I did not like this book as much as the first mainly due to focus of the book. Where the first book, the burning shore, was about adventure and war this book focused more on the politics surrounding the war. Would recommend but I hope the third book is similar to the first.
Morné Louw
From the sea, to shore, to Germany and Cape Town, there is non-stop action and suspense. It is good to have the background of the Courtneys; of you read the books in the wrong order, as I have done with the Courtneys, you can easily be confused. A very gripping tale, with many disputes to be settled, one cannot put the book down. Excellent!
Mike
I love the way the author weaves an intriguing story around the history of South Africa. This book tells of the Afrikaaner movement, the beginnings of the ANC and the many struggles of black and white.

I have a deep live of the stories if Africa and this does not disappoint.
Stuart
South Africa in 1920's and 1930's was faced with extremism from both Black activists/Communists and Afrikaaner separatists/fascists. However, this was a slow read compared with the previous Burning Shore until the last 200 pages (out of 600.
Grandpa
This is another of Wilbur Smith's very well written and researched historical novels, set in South Africa in the early 1920's. It's a real page turner, where you meet several characters and eventually they link together in an intriguing manner.
Penny
Again a good read...not my favorite of the series but a satisfying take on what happens next. The lead character loses some of her well-earned respect here, which left me without someone to cheer for, which soured the story for me a tad.
Chris
This was awful; I shouldn't have wasted my time finishing it. The story wasn't actually bad, but I hated every major character. Was I supposed to root for the pretty boy of priviledge, or the nazi? Terrible.
Seracer2003
THis is the 2nd book... in the Courtneys of Africa... it focuses more on the main character from the first books son... it includes his upbringing, the market crash, WWII, the Olympics in Berlin... it was great...
Rosemary
This book is an awesome rendering of the South African struggle. It takes place just before and during WWII.
It is facinating and page turning.
Jess
really good saga about a south african family (the second half of the book was hard to put down!), but the writing could have been better at some points
Abhisek Gupta
It has everything Romance, Power game , WW2, yes adventure material is little less comparing to other smith novels but again action packed without any flaws
Charmaine
Although I loved the other 2 books in this series, I gave this one an OK. It's a good book, but not as great as its predecessors.
Ian
This is good, but it's taking me absolutely ages to read it. Mind you, the print is quite small. That's my excuse anyway.
  • The Eagle and the Wolves (Eagle, #4)
  • Whitethorn
  • Copperhead (The Starbuck Chronicles, #2)
  • Conquest (Kydd Sea Adventures, #12)
  • A King's Commander (Alan Lewrie, #7)
  • Aztec Autumn (Aztec, #2)
  • Empire State
  • Tapestry of Spies
  • Dark Spectre
  • The 39 Clues Set (Books 1 - 7)
Wilbur Smith is the bestselling author of many novels, each meticulously researched on his numerous expeditions worldwide. His bestselling Courtney series includes Assegai, The Sound of Thunder, Birds of Prey, Monsoon, and Blue Horizon. His other books include Those in Peril, River God, Warlock, The Seventh Scroll, and The Sunbird. His books are now translated into twenty-six languages and have so ...more
More about Wilbur Smith...
River God (Ancient Egypt, #1) The Seventh Scroll (Ancient Egypt, #2) Warlock: A Novel of Ancient Egypt (Ancient Egypt, #3) When the Lion Feeds (Courtney, #1) Monsoon (Courtney #10)