Start by marking “Cry Wolf” as Want to Read:
Cry Wolf

Cry Wolf

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  1,316 ratings  ·  26 reviews
The year is 1935, shortly before World War II. The "Wolf of Rome", Italy's army under Mussolini, is poised to invade Ethiopia, whose army is not only ill-equipped, but also severely outnumbered. Desperate to save his troubled land, Emperor Haile Selassie enlists American Jake Barton and Englishman Gareth Swales, two risk-takers who both share a taste for danger and the thr
Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Published December 9th 2001 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Cry Wolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cry Wolf

Graham
My latest Wilbur Smith read. I'm tackling his books in a chronological order as they were written at present, and I've now reached the mid '70s. CRY WOLF isn't as entertaining as some of his earlier works - particularly those Courtney novels - purely because of the dark, almost depressing subject matter of the story.

CRY WOLF tackles the Italian army's invasion of Ethiopia in 1935. Under Mussolini, Italy sent a division incorporating infantry, tanks, armoured vehicles, artillery and aircraft supp
Procyon Lotor
Fanfiction #3 Un gruppo di avventurieri deve portare armi alle truppe legittimiste contro l'invasione dei baluba (o bingobongo o bulabula). Gli avventurieri sono una coppia anglosassone tipo "Attenti a quei due" Tony Curtis/Danny Wilde e Roger Moore/Lord Brett Sinclair. Per buona misura ci aggiungono la bella giornalista. Vicky: essenziale per dissipare la fondamentale attrazione omoerotica diffusissima in questo genere d'avventure da omacci. Un po' come il curry in certe preparazioni culinarie ...more
Gordon
This is fairly early Wilbur Smith. It is easy to see that he has not fully developed his style or skill. The first part of the book moves quite slowly as the characters and situation are introduced. Later on the booked moved at closer to the breakneck speed he became famous for.

The book deals with the Italian fascist invasion of Ethiopia, a pretty unusual topic. Smith is well known for careful research so I assume the events and culture are fairly close to reality. The campaign described is part
Richard Beasley
Does what it is meant to.
Good romp, which does have its serious side (war is bad, especially when it's a goal mishap)
Stereotypes all their in force - loveable rogue (not as posh as he seems), salt of earth artisan, feisty woman, comic side kick, comic cowardly Italian ( runs away, sings, vain), salt of earth professional soldier, loveable crazy native, evil native, etc.
But its fine and what you want when it is properly executed, as it is here
Suby
I thought II WW commenced in 1939 with Hitler invading Austria. In this book I find Mussolini had already attacked Ethiopia in 1935. I can't say how historically accurate this is!
The story is about an American engineer, an English major who is also a buccaneer and an American lady journalist. They get caught up in the war and are obliged to fight for the Ethiopian tribe which is under attack. The story is compelling.
It is not just the atrocities by the Mussolini's Army but the customs of the loc
Ida
Smith's talent for detailed description is as vivid as always. He never shies away from realism and violence. Jake and Gareth are the two heroes in this story set in Ethiopia during the Italian invasion. A feisty, sexy reporter who is determined to inform the world of the desperate situation in which the Ethiopians find themselves joins up with Jake and Gareth in their attempt to aid the Ethiopians against the onslaught of the Italians. There is no lack of action in this harsh, but often compass ...more
Joe White
The premise of the book is historical Ethiopia just prior to WW2 when Italy invaded.

As an adventure book, with two displaced Americans and an Englishman in a love triangle, assisting a local clan against the invasion, the story line was a little drawn out with too many unnecessary details for my taste. I had to start skimming in order to complete it because I hate to cheat and jump to the end prematurely.
Liz Proulx
Loved this book! Next to The Burning Shore and the Courtney Books this was one of my all time favorites! The characters were really interesting and I loved Gareth, the rogue. The relationship between he and Jake was heartfelt despite their love for the same woman. I would highly recommend this book -it's got everything from adventure, romance, humour and all this during war time.
Fan Francis
After the Sound of Thunder, next I went on to Cry Wolf. Another facinating tale spun by Wilbur Smith , though I enjoy the Courtney's saga more. Still it was great to have an American and a British character helpin the poor Etiopians fight the Italians in WW2.
Bill
Great adventure is the usual for a Smith novel. A closeup of the Italian invasion of Ethiopia in 1935. Smith's respect for Ethiopia pops up in several later novels as that country battles Arab jhadists (almost from Islam's birth).
Never having read Wilbur Smith before I picked this off the shelves when faced with War/Revolution for a Genre Challenge read. Well written, well paced adventure with the backdrop of Mussolini's "empire building" in East Africa.
Merry
One of my favorite authors, always an adventure. Pre World War II setting, Mussolini is ready to invade Ethiopia, the delivery of armored cars for gold, danger, daring and captivating.
Stuart
Another gripping tale this time set in 1933 Ethiopia during Italian invasion. Lots of shooting but not an animal (hardly) in sight this time!
Joan
Story takes place mostly in Ethiopia during WWII -- an opportunity to learn a little about that war I didn't know before.
Mainrun
I have read a few from Wilbur Smith. Don't think I will read more. They are all pretty much the same.
Marco Cerbo
Rocambolesco ed eccessivo. Un trio di inglesi si allea con i ras d'Etiopia contro gli Italiani.
Jeroen in UK
Nice read but a bit abrupt end. Story of Ethiopia is not really closed, not even in an epilogue.
Manuela
Smith sa fare di meglio, molto meglio. Banale e noiosetto.
Marcus Ashton
not a bad story, good holiday read, bit predictable though
Susan Colvin
Another great African adventure by Smith.
Hazel Roberts
different but quite enjoyable if a bit short
Ajit Krishnamohan
Not just adventure but offroading as well!
Tanvir Muntasim
Great story of adventure and friendship.
Gerald Nash
Gerald Nash marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Mary Suire
Mary Suire marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
  • Victory (Kydd Sea Adventures, #11)
  • Out of the Ashes (Ashes, #1)
  • Hitler's Peace
  • Black Heart
  • High Citadel
  • The Academy (Steel Trapp, #2)
  • Sword of Honour (Richard Bolitho, #25)
  • Kringe in 'n bos
  • Dead Center: A Marine Sniper's Two-Year Odyssey in the Vietnam War
  • Dark Side of the Street (Paul Chavasse #5)
  • The Best Mysteries Of Isaac Asimov
  • South by Java Head
  • Holy Warrior (The Outlaw Chronicles, #2)
  • Sharpe's Fury (Sharpe, #11)
  • Unfeeling: A Novel
  • The Mountain of Adventure and The Ship of Adventure: Two Great Adventures
Wilbur Smith is the bestselling author of many novels, each meticulously researched on his numerous expeditions worldwide. His bestselling Courtney series includes Assegai, The Sound of Thunder, Birds of Prey, Monsoon, and Blue Horizon. His other books include Those in Peril, River God, Warlock, The Seventh Scroll, and The Sunbird. His books are now translated into twenty-six languages and have so ...more
More about Wilbur Smith...
River God (Ancient Egypt, #1) The Seventh Scroll (Ancient Egypt, #2) Warlock: A Novel of Ancient Egypt (Ancient Egypt, #3) When the Lion Feeds (Courtney, #1) Monsoon (Courtney #10)