Start by marking “Cry Wolf” as Want to Read:
Cry Wolf

Cry Wolf

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,613 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Cry Wolf by Wilbur Smith

The year is 1935, shortly before World War II. The "Wolf of Rome", Italy's army under Mussolini, is poised to invade Ethiopia, whose army is not only ill-equipped, but also severely outnumbered. Desperate to save his troubled land, Emperor Haile Selassie enlists American Jake Barton and Englishman Gareth Swales, two risk-takers who both share a tast
Published December 9th 2001 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Cry Wolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cry Wolf

Luís Blue Yorkie
Cry Wolf tackles the Italian army's invasion of Ethiopia in 1935. Under Mussolini, Italy sent a division incorporating infantry, tanks, armoured vehicles, artillery and aircraft support, up against a tribal army armed with spears and ancient rifles. What eventually happens is something of a foregone conclusion, but the fight the Ethiopians put up is as thrilling as anything else the author's ever written.

That's the general back story of this novel, and a lot of the writing is taken up with descr
Eric Wright
Smith takes us through the history of the Italian attack on Ethiopia with a powerful, fast-paced narrative that never slows. We see events through an American, Jake Barton, whose skill makes derelict vehicles run and through the eyes of Gareth Swales, a stylish Englishman given to conning those around him. Both vie for the attention of Vicki an award winning journalist there to cover the raping of Ethiopia.

Other supporting characters include a trio or so of Ethiopian royalty. The story reads li
Graham
Mar 18, 2012 Graham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, war, africa
My latest Wilbur Smith read. I'm tackling his books in a chronological order as they were written at present, and I've now reached the mid '70s. CRY WOLF isn't as entertaining as some of his earlier works - particularly those Courtney novels - purely because of the dark, almost depressing subject matter of the story.

CRY WOLF tackles the Italian army's invasion of Ethiopia in 1935. Under Mussolini, Italy sent a division incorporating infantry, tanks, armoured vehicles, artillery and aircraft supp
Gordon
Apr 23, 2013 Gordon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is fairly early Wilbur Smith. It is easy to see that he has not fully developed his style or skill. The first part of the book moves quite slowly as the characters and situation are introduced. Later on the booked moved at closer to the breakneck speed he became famous for.

The book deals with the Italian fascist invasion of Ethiopia, a pretty unusual topic. Smith is well known for careful research so I assume the events and culture are fairly close to reality. The campaign described is part
Procyon Lotor
Jan 27, 2014 Procyon Lotor rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 03-avventura
Fanfiction #3 Un gruppo di avventurieri deve portare armi alle truppe legittimiste contro l'invasione dei baluba (o bingobongo o bulabula). Gli avventurieri sono una coppia anglosassone tipo "Attenti a quei due" Tony Curtis/Danny Wilde e Roger Moore/Lord Brett Sinclair. Per buona misura ci aggiungono la bella giornalista. Vicky: essenziale per dissipare la fondamentale attrazione omoerotica diffusissima in questo genere d'avventure da omacci. Un po' come il curry in certe preparazioni culinarie ...more
Bruna Vraničić Vujević
This was a great novel, and i really liked it! Something different for me, but i really enjoyed it. The story is breathtaking and the characters so full of life that it's stunning! Maybe i will read one more novel of this author in the future, we'll see.
Richard Beasley
Mar 28, 2014 Richard Beasley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Does what it is meant to.
Good romp, which does have its serious side (war is bad, especially when it's a goal mishap)
Stereotypes all their in force - loveable rogue (not as posh as he seems), salt of earth artisan, feisty woman, comic side kick, comic cowardly Italian ( runs away, sings, vain), salt of earth professional soldier, loveable crazy native, evil native, etc.
But its fine and what you want when it is properly executed, as it is here
Jim McCulloch
Sep 28, 2015 Jim McCulloch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I thoroughly enjoy Wilbur Smith's stories and writing. His characters, style, and humor make picking up his books something to look forward to after a hard day. Cry Wolf is a fascinating glimpse into pre-WWII Africa. His characters come alive as their lives come together in the crucible of war. Cry Wolf is just plain outstanding.
M.A. McRae
You don't pick up a Wilbur Smith novel and expect weak comedy. You expect interesting characters, an evolving adventure and you expect thrills. While the story of some of the Italian army's leaders certainly made me smile, I was quite disappointed in this novel.
It did improve around half-way through, and had a cracking ending.
Suby
Sep 27, 2011 Suby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought II WW commenced in 1939 with Hitler invading Austria. In this book I find Mussolini had already attacked Ethiopia in 1935. I can't say how historically accurate this is!
The story is about an American engineer, an English major who is also a buccaneer and an American lady journalist. They get caught up in the war and are obliged to fight for the Ethiopian tribe which is under attack. The story is compelling.
It is not just the atrocities by the Mussolini's Army but the customs of the loc
Ida
Feb 21, 2013 Ida rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Smith's talent for detailed description is as vivid as always. He never shies away from realism and violence. Jake and Gareth are the two heroes in this story set in Ethiopia during the Italian invasion. A feisty, sexy reporter who is determined to inform the world of the desperate situation in which the Ethiopians find themselves joins up with Jake and Gareth in their attempt to aid the Ethiopians against the onslaught of the Italians. There is no lack of action in this harsh, but often compass ...more
Paul
Jul 13, 2014 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yee-Ha!
Joe White
Oct 06, 2013 Joe White rated it it was ok
The premise of the book is historical Ethiopia just prior to WW2 when Italy invaded.

As an adventure book, with two displaced Americans and an Englishman in a love triangle, assisting a local clan against the invasion, the story line was a little drawn out with too many unnecessary details for my taste. I had to start skimming in order to complete it because I hate to cheat and jump to the end prematurely.
Liz Proulx
Feb 06, 2014 Liz Proulx rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! Next to The Burning Shore and the Courtney Books this was one of my all time favorites! The characters were really interesting and I loved Gareth, the rogue. The relationship between he and Jake was heartfelt despite their love for the same woman. I would highly recommend this book -it's got everything from adventure, romance, humour and all this during war time.
Lenny
Mar 01, 2015 Lenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Historically fascinating.
Robert Borg
Jul 18, 2015 Robert Borg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amusing at times, serious at others. This is the first time I have read a Wilbur Smith novel and I wonder why it has taken me so long? It was a thoroughly good read and I look forward to reading another of his works in the future.
Fan Francis
Feb 18, 2012 Fan Francis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After the Sound of Thunder, next I went on to Cry Wolf. Another facinating tale spun by Wilbur Smith , though I enjoy the Courtney's saga more. Still it was great to have an American and a British character helpin the poor Etiopians fight the Italians in WW2.
Bill
Feb 17, 2011 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great adventure is the usual for a Smith novel. A closeup of the Italian invasion of Ethiopia in 1935. Smith's respect for Ethiopia pops up in several later novels as that country battles Arab jhadists (almost from Islam's birth).
Never having read Wilbur Smith before I picked this off the shelves when faced with War/Revolution for a Genre Challenge read. Well written, well paced adventure with the backdrop of Mussolini's "empire building" in East Africa.
Merry
Oct 28, 2009 Merry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite authors, always an adventure. Pre World War II setting, Mussolini is ready to invade Ethiopia, the delivery of armored cars for gold, danger, daring and captivating.
Kimberly Hand
Nov 09, 2015 Kimberly Hand rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
From the sexist representation of women to the dragging action, this book just failed to please. Far and away my least favourite of the books by Wilbur Smith that I've read.
Stuart
May 05, 2009 Stuart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another gripping tale this time set in 1933 Ethiopia during Italian invasion. Lots of shooting but not an animal (hardly) in sight this time!
Joan
Feb 03, 2011 Joan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Story takes place mostly in Ethiopia during WWII -- an opportunity to learn a little about that war I didn't know before.
Mainrun
Feb 22, 2010 Mainrun rated it it was ok
Shelves: thriller
I have read a few from Wilbur Smith. Don't think I will read more. They are all pretty much the same.
Marco Cerbo
Rocambolesco ed eccessivo. Un trio di inglesi si allea con i ras d'Etiopia contro gli Italiani.
Jeroen in UK
Nice read but a bit abrupt end. Story of Ethiopia is not really closed, not even in an epilogue.
Manuela
Jan 06, 2015 Manuela rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: avventura, spy-story
Smith sa fare di meglio, molto meglio. Banale e noiosetto.
Marcus Ashton
not a bad story, good holiday read, bit predictable though
S.R.R. Colvin
Jun 21, 2010 S.R.R. Colvin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great African adventure by Smith.
Hazel Roberts
May 07, 2011 Hazel Roberts rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
different but quite enjoyable if a bit short
  • Hatred in the Ashes (Ashes, #27)
  • Conquest (Kydd Sea Adventures, #12)
  • Pirate (Stratton, #7)
  • High Citadel
  • Hitler's Peace
  • Black Heart
  • The Angry Hills
  • Dark Zone (Deep Black, #3)
  • The Academy (Steel Trapp, #2)
  • South by Java Head
  • The Barefoot Emperor: An Ethiopian Tragedy
  • Dark Side of the Street (Paul Chavasse #5)
  • The First Horseman
  • Creatures of the Kingdom
  • Kringe in 'n Bos
Wilbur Smith is the bestselling author of many novels, each meticulously researched on his numerous expeditions worldwide. His bestselling Courtney series includes Assegai, The Sound of Thunder, Birds of Prey, Monsoon, and Blue Horizon. His other books include Those in Peril, River God, Warlock, The Seventh Scroll, and The Sunbird. His books are now translated into twenty-six languages and have so ...more
More about Wilbur Smith...