Start by marking “Terminator and Philosophy: I'll Be Back, Therefore I Am” as Want to Read:
Terminator and Philosophy: I'll Be Back, Therefore I Am

Terminator and Philosophy: I'll Be Back, Therefore I Am (Blackwell Philosophy and Pop Culture #13)

A timely book that uses science fiction to provoke reflection and discussion on philosophical issues

From the nature of mind to the ethics of AI and neural enhancement, science fiction thought experiments fire the philosophical imagination, encouraging us to think outside of the box about classic philosophical problems and even to envision new ones. Science Fiction and Phil
Published May 13th 2009 by Wiley (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Terminator and Philosophy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Terminator and Philosophy

Hayley
I'm at the part where they talk about the metaphysics of terminator and the impossible contradictions caused by Cameron's treatment of time travel. I love this discussion.

I made up an answer to the Kyle Reese/John Connor cycle issues that I'm happy with but I didn't catch the issue with Kyle going back after the terminator to save Sarah until this book pointed it out. Think about it. It couldn't work. Right?

I can imagine two ways to view the nature of time.
#1: Time is fixed. Anyone who moves aro
Tina
Mar 26, 2012 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This compilation was probably the best "and philosophy" collection I've read since Star Wars and Philosophy: More Powerful than You Can Possibly Imagine, and not because the Terminator series is awesome, but because the essays in this collection were varied in focus, well-written, and actually argued something I hadn't considered before. By comparison, I've been trying to read Dexter and Philosophy: Mind over Spatter and it's just awful, because all the articles are about the same thing from dif ...more
Billie Pritchett
Jan 22, 2013 Billie Pritchett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Richard Brown and Kevin S. Decker's Terminator and Philosophy would make an excellent book for a student who is just learning about philosophy and who also has some interest in the Terminator series. It might also be good for someone who just likes the Terminator series and who would be interested in thinking about abstract topics or open-mindedly. Philosophy can be fun for everybody, given a thoughtful mindset.

My favorite essays in the book were about the time travel aspects of the Terminator a
J. Gowin
Dec 15, 2013 J. Gowin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy, sci-fi
This book is not a deep philosophical treatise, which examines a question from every angle.Whether that is good or bad depends on your personal bent.

I found this collection of essays to be a good primer for the philosophical concepts surrounding questions that have stymied greater minds than my own for centuries. It does not belabor specific philosophies. Rather it offers short explanations of various responses to troubling questions, using the "Terminator" series to illustrate those questions.

T
Dann
Jul 15, 2015 Dann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Incredibly engaging, Terminator and Philosophy: I'll Be Back, Therefore I Am explores a number of fascinating philosophical concepts and ideas. Comprised of 19 essays, various authors utilize the three Terminator films, along with the Sarah Connor Chronicles television series, to discussion such issues as A.I., the Turing Test, Just-War theory, Utilitarianism, Consequentialism, and Social Contract theory. And by-and-large the essays are well-written and accessible to the layman. Additionally, a ...more
Bruno Martinez-Leo
"We're not going to make it, are we? People, I mean."
John Connor, Terminator 2: judgement day

No better quote to start an essay about philosophy and end of human race. I certainly and very frequently feel that that child in front of me in a giant screen was right at the moment and still is to this day. Although I wouldn't want to be pessimistic day to day living in the real world makes you wonder, eh?
John Strubhart
Sep 08, 2010 John Strubhart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now, I know what you're thinking - Terminators? Of course, I do have a thing for terminators, but this book deals with the philosophical implications of things like artificial intelligence, consciousness, self-awareness, time travel and so much more. Terminator is just a vehicle for relating so many fascinating ideas that come from philosophy.
Tanya
I love the pop culture philosophy books. It is great to feel like you are discussing your favourite entertainment with highly intelligent people who find more to it then, Arnold's cool. Some very interesting insights.
Ivy
Aug 25, 2009 Ivy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
This book is not only funny but the easiest philosophy book I have ever tried to read, if you've seen the Terminator movies that is.
usagi ☆ミ
Only one essay in here that includes the TV show. Kinda disappointed with that but otherwise a really good collection of essays regarding the franchise and philosophy.
Craig Bolton
"Terminator and Philosophy: I'll Be Back, Therefore I Am (The Blackwell Philosophy and Pop Culture Series) by William Irwin (2009)"
Landon
May 20, 2011 Landon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm going to have to put this on hold until I see the rest of the Terminator TV show and Salvation to avoid any spoilers.

And then I saw the rest of the Terminator TV show and Salvation.
Kory
Kory rated it liked it
May 06, 2015
Jessica Donovan
Jessica Donovan rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2014
Tony
Tony rated it it was ok
Apr 15, 2013
Eric
Eric rated it really liked it
May 31, 2012
Matthew J. Airey
Matthew J. Airey rated it it was ok
May 13, 2014
Marlin Harrison
Marlin Harrison rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2013
Елисеев Никита
Елисеев Никита rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2015
Irene
Irene rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2011
Linda
Linda rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2012
Lyza Ward
Lyza Ward rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2014
Susan Bin
Susan Bin rated it it was ok
Aug 18, 2012
Esse
Esse rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2010
Craig
Craig rated it it was ok
May 10, 2015
Javier Rubio
Javier Rubio rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2016
Ashley
Ashley rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2013
Leisa
Leisa rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2015
Darik
Darik rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Is Skynet's logic flawed? 1 3 Dec 02, 2014 07:22PM
  • Watchmen and Philosophy: A Rorschach Test (The Blackwell Philosophy and Pop Culture Series)
  • Terminator Omnibus Volume 1
  • Serenity Found: More Unauthorized Essays on Joss Whedon's Firefly Universe
  • South Park and Philosophy: Bigger, Longer, and More Penetrating
  • X-Men and Philosophy: Astonishing Insight and Uncanny Argument in the Mutant X-Verse
  • Battlestar Galactica and Philosophy: Mission Accomplished or Mission Frakked Up?
  • 30 Rock and Philosophy: We Want to Go to There
  • Terminator Salvation: The Official Movie Novelization
  • Star Wars and Philosophy: More Powerful than You Can Possibly Imagine
  • Zombie Movies: The Ultimate Guide
  • The Office and Philosophy: Scenes from the Unexamined Life
  • House and Philosophy: Everybody Lies
  • Getting Lost: Survival, Baggage, and Starting Over in J. J. Abrams' Lost (Smart Pop series)
  • The Daily Show and Philosophy: Moments of Zen in the Art of Fake News
  • Firefly: The Official Companion Volume Two (Firefly the Official Companion, #2)
  • Terminator Salvation: Cold War
  • Battlestar Galactica and Philosophy: Knowledge Here Begins Out There
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Philosophy: Everything Is Fire
- B.A. in philosophy, Summa Cum Laude, Fordham University, 1992. Full Presidential Scholarship.

- Dissertation "Harmonizing Hermeneutics: The Normative and Descriptive Approaches, Interpretation and Criticism," Buffalo, 1996, 226 pp. Awarded the Perry Prize for Outstanding Dissertations in Philosophy.

- Ph.D. in philosophy, The State University of New York at Buffalo, June 1, 1996. Presidential Fell
More about William Irwin...

Blackwell Philosophy and Pop Culture (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • South Park and Philosophy: You Know, I Learned Something Today