Start by marking “Stop Getting Ripped Off: Why Consumers Get Screwed, and How You Can Always Get a Fair Deal” as Want to Read:

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  83 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
New York Times bestselling author of Gotcha Capitalism and MSNBC.com "Red Tape Chronicles" columnist Bob Sullivan strikes again to help you evade the financial traps big businesses set for unwary consumers—and shows you how to get the best possible deals every single time.

Today's marketplace is full of hidden fees, fine print, and other booby traps designed to trip you up
Published December 29th 2009 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Stop Getting Ripped Off, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stop Getting Ripped Off

Blakely
Nov 28, 2015 Blakely rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-non-fiction
Bob Sullivan manages to take what one would expect to be a boring topic and makes it not only a good read, but a fascinating page turner.

I consider myself to be pretty financially savvy, but learned several new, practical tips in his chapters on managing retirement funds, credit cards, and purchasing a cell phone plan. Bob also includes additional chapters on topics such as purchasing a house, student loans, purchasing cable, and a few other things I'm forgetting at the moment.

However, even if y
Harkinna
Jul 09, 2010 Harkinna rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite personal finance books is, Getting A Financial Life: Personal Finance in your 20’s and 30’s. I bought the book for all of my siblings at one point or another because I think the book has a lot to offer. I really like this new book as well. The book is subtitled, Why Consumers Get Screwed, and How You can Always Get a Fair Deal. Sullivan does a great job outlining how industry’s goals, making a profit, are not aligned with your best interest, getting things at the best price.

Wh
Terry
May 21, 2010 Terry rated it it was amazing
You go out to dinner with a group of friends and when the check comes you: panic, hope someone has a calculator, throw in money and hope for the best, or something similar. Now this is just a check at a restaurant -- how are you supposed to cope with buying a house or figuring out a cellphone plan?

You aren't. The central idea behind Stop Getting Screwed is that companies are taking advantage of your poor math skills. Luckily Bob Sullivan is here to give you tips to avoid risking your financial f
Kathryn
Jan 24, 2010 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, 2010-books
great book. every single one of you should read this book. Then put into practice the things he talks about. If each of us fight the big corporations one piece at a time, we WILL make them change the way they do things and treat us.

fight with your wallet... if a company wrongs you, then forever more boycott their store or product. My husband and I already do this. We have a growing list of companies we will no longer buy products of, or purchase from their store. And we are changing banks becau
Katie
Feb 01, 2010 Katie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
MSNBC “Red Tape Chronicles” columnist Bob Sullivan gives the lowdown on the ways consumers are financially illiterate and advice for how we can stop getting screwed by various entities: TV companies, mortgage brokers, car salesman/auto loans, cell phone companies, student loans, various types of insurance, and investment brokers. This book is actually a pretty engaging read and much more informative than Dave Ramsey's material, which mostly focuses on convincing the reader to reduce/elminate his ...more
Chris
Apr 25, 2010 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good close to compreshensive consumer finance book split into 3 parts:
* sociology of business practices that are hurting society (and beg for regulation so that people cut it out);
* chapters on specific consumer decisions that vex us (cable service, buying a home); and the most useful,
* how to build a financial foundation by saving, paying down debt, and low-fee investing..

You could do a lot worse than reading a couple chapters to make yourself more confident in the choices you make. Wor
Rebecca
Highly recommended by Jen Zingg. See Bob Sullivan's interviews on NPR (Fresh Air).

Finally started reading it. WHOA. I'm a good saver and I try to read the fine print, but I didn't know a lot of this stuff. This might be edging out Suze Orman's YFB book as my favorite finance book.

"The only way to get a fair price while dealing with the concept of insurance is to be a pesky guppy in the pool of risk."
Anko
Oct 04, 2013 Anko rated it really liked it
Good financial book. Learned a lot. About to apply some of these to improve my financial situation. Long way to go but at least I have a plan and some big goals. One thing I can attest to is that the 'just ask' strategy works more often than most people realize. Try it.
dejah_thoris
Mar 29, 2012 dejah_thoris rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Must-read even if you're fairly financially savvy like I am. TONS of tips to save money and invest WISELY. Totally gotta set aside some time to convert my ebook highlights to actual notes. Covers everything from cell phones to insurance in layman's terms.
David Sabala
Jan 14, 2010 David Sabala rated it liked it
A very easy-to-read guide. It is both entertaining and shocking how much I get screwed . . . not in a good way. I'm going to put stickies all over this thing and start straightening out my finances. Ready, set . . . GO.
Renee Thompson
Mar 27, 2010 Renee Thompson rated it it was amazing
Excellent detailed information! This was especially helpful to me since I'm looking to buy a condo and need to know how to best negotiate. It also helped me to save money by lowering my cable bill.
Bunnyhugger1
May 25, 2010 Bunnyhugger1 rated it really liked it
Twenty pages in and I come to the painful realization that I am completely innumerate.
Books2brl Adams
Dec 18, 2010 Books2brl Adams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful book. Easy to read. Full of common sense information.
Kim
Feb 21, 2010 Kim rated it it was amazing
Had some great ideas - a real eye opener.
Evan
Jul 30, 2010 Evan marked it as to-read
Recommended by Becky's GoodReads feed...
Lo
Lo marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Linda
Linda added it
Jan 16, 2016
J Crossley
J Crossley marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Kelly Smith
Kelly Smith rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Kurt Soucy
Kurt Soucy marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2015
OneAutumnLeaf
OneAutumnLeaf marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2015
Diogo
Diogo marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Renja  Zombies
Renja Zombies marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2015
IAM District 161
IAM District 161 rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2015
Jagraj Singh
Jagraj Singh rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2015
Philip Nelson
Philip Nelson marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2015
Chen
Chen marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2015
Rita Perez
Rita Perez marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Omid Elmi
Omid Elmi marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • YOU: The Smart Patient: An Insider's Handbook for Getting the Best Treatment
  • The Five Rules for Successful Stock Investing: Morningstar's Guide to Building Wealth and Winning in the Market
  • R for Everyone: Advanced Analytics and Graphics
  • Get a Financial Life: Personal Finance in Your Twenties and Thirties
  • Critical Thinking, Reading, and Writing: A Brief Guide to Argument
  • Kellogg on Marketing
  • Business and Competitive Analysis: Effective Application of New and Classic Methods
  • The Real Cost of Living: Making the Best Choices for You, Your Life, and Your Money
  • The Difference: How Anyone Can Prosper in Even the Toughest Times
  • Shift Your Habit: Easy Ways to Save Money, Simplify Your Life, and Save the Planet
  • Remember, Remember
  • Dangerous Instincts: How Gut Feelings Betray Us
  • The Winner's Curse: Paradoxes and Anomalies of Economic Life
  • Real Simple: Solutions: Tricks, Wisdom, and Easy Ideas to Simplify Every Day
  • Everything Is Bullshit: The greatest scams on Earth revealed
  • Suddenly Frugal: How to Live Happier & Healthier for Less
  • Pick Another Checkout Lane, Honey: Save BIG Money & Make the Grocery Aisle Your Catwalk!
  • Cut Your Grocery Bill in Half with America's Cheapest Family: Includes So Many Innovative Strategies You Won't Have to Cut Coupons