Start by marking “The Web (Alex Delaware, #10)” as Want to Read:
The Web (Alex Delaware, #10)

The Web (Alex Delaware #10)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  5,407 ratings  ·  183 reviews
BONUS: This edition contains an excerpt from Jonathan Kellerman's Victims.

Psychologist-detective Dr. Alex Delaware finds terror in the heart of paradise in this relentlessly sinister novel by America's premier writer of psychological suspense, the author of ten successiveNew York Timesbestsellers.Three months in paradise, all expenses paid.It's an invitation Alex Delaware
Published April 1st 2003 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Web, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Web

Dirk Grobbelaar

"Look at this," he said. "I'm sure you've never seen a web like this."

Mystery readers who like their stories compartmentalised and samey will probably frown upon what Kellerman has done here. It’s an Alex Delaware novel, but it is also quite unlike any of the other novels in the series (or at least those that I have read, which, admittedly aren’t that many).

For starters: the story takes place on a remote and obscure Micronesian island. Consider: a large mansion filled with house guests; a grueso
Michael
This is not one of the more recent books in the Delaware series. I didn't realize until after I started, that one of my favorite features of this series - the intelligent repartee that goes on between Alex and his usual cohort in crime sleuthing, Lt. Milo Stugis, would not be there. For me, this is what sets The Delaware books apart from all the others. So I was somewhat disappointed.
Kellerman still writes interesting books. This time Alex is invited to join a doctor Moreland living on a romote
Nanosynergy
(Book 10 of author's Alex Delaware/Milo Sturgis series.) Alex Delaware is dimmer than I thought. Delaware is lured to an isolated, tropical island by a wealthy scientist -- whom he has never met nor heard of - with flattery and the promise of an underwritten, 6-month vacation. From the beginning of the book, the words "If it sounds to good to be true..." echoed in my head. Then, coincidentally, Delaware's Barbie-girlfriend, Robin, needs a break from her work as well and is able to tag along for ...more
Marilyn
I like Kellerman's characters, but I'm starting to get a bit tired of his detailed descriptions of whatever area he's either entered, or who's wearing what. This took place on a little island (I think it's fake) in the S.Pacific. Alex Delaware & his partner (Robin)get an unexpected "vacation" as he does research for a Dr. there, who is about to retire. Has to do w/nuclear bombs being discharged under water years ago...and the fallout from those tests. Now, the dear Dr. has a cavefull of "ali ...more
Judy
Kellerman departs significantly from his pattern in this book. Instead of the LA area, the action takes place on a remote tropical island. Robin accompanies Dr. Deleware for a relaxing time, while he confers with Dr Moreland, a scientist who wants Dr Deleware to perhaps collaborate on articles or a book. But there are some other strange people staying at the hotel-like house where the scientist lives. There are some creepy episodes as the scientist collects rare spiders, and also has other creep ...more
Lewis Weinstein
This might be a terrific book, but I will probably never know. Early scenes with disgusting people and even more disgusting spiders led me to return the book to a safe place on the shelf.
aPriL does feral sometimes
Kellerman's Delaware mysteries always teeter towards soap opera and occasionally fall in. This is one that fell. Depending on you, the reader, that can be either good or bad. For me, the other elements either make the book good or bad. I like 'The Web'.

Another element is that Kelleman's plots always contain Truth - of historical facts or recent headlines on CNN - which he heavily fictionalizes. Since I read the news as obsessively as I do novels, and I have done so for 50 years, plus my memory
Kevin Lake
The story was actually... ok. It was good up until the end, and then it seemed like a cheap stage production. And the writing style? I don't like it.
fragmants.
floating.
around.
redundantly.
and needlessly.
just say it.
don't spray it.

Probably won't read any more of this author's work and it is because of the style. I know he probably means it to be some sort of unique art form, but just when you get in the rhythm of the story, this crap (see above) pops up and slows everything down.
oh, and he went
Lynda
Hired to organize thirty years of clinical data by Dr. Woodrow Wilson Moreland, Dr. Alex Delaware arrived on the tropical island of Aruk with his recuperating lover Robin Castagna. Known as Dr. Bill to the islanders, Dr. Moreland had an aura of mystery with an alternate plan in mind for Alex. Already tingled with suspicion and unease about the cryptic scientist and his household of visitors, Alex faced even more trepidation with gruesome murders and threatening islanders sending him on a twisted ...more
Elle
This book is set away from LA, so Milo is only a few phone calls in the book. This is a little different from some of his other books. Is not a particularly stimulating read- but it is a good book. I wouldn't really buy it- rather check it out at the library.
Carrie Stephens
The pace and tone of this book was very different from the rest of the Delaware novels. Milo wasn't a big part of the plot and was only included in a phone conversation. Maybe it was the change of setting, but this book just seemed a little "off"
Lmdella
Jun 06, 2015 Lmdella rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers of mystery/intrigue, Kellerman fans
One of the best!

Kellerman steps outside his (and Alex Cross') beaten paths with this one, taking Alex and Robin to the (very) small Pacific island of Aruk for a little R&R following the experiences of the previous book. Their host, Dr. Moreland, seems to have a special reason for wanting Alex there, beyond what he initial states, and there is clearly a mystery surrounding the Navy base that occupies the other side of the island.

The cast of characters is predictably interesting, and get more
Suze
Kellerman always throws in a twist or two that you don't expect, and this novel didn't disappoint. I like his sense of humor, too.

The beginning dragged a bit, which is why this one only gets three stars.
Alisha
Sherree
Certainly not my favorite. As I mentioned with the Faye Kellerman book, Jonathan Kellerman's details like what the person looked like and what they were were wearing were excruciating. I do not need to know the exact facial features and body type for every character. I do not need to know what every single character is wearing every time they appear in the book. I'm pretty sure his books would be about 2/3 as long if he could condense the details.

As for the story, it was ok. I prefer to have my
Mitzy
I've always enjoyed Jonathan Kellerman's books, but I HATE SPIDERS. This is a story about spiders, and I just couldn't bring myself to read more than a few pages~
Doris
I got about 3/4 of the way through this book and gave it up. Improbable and not interesting to me.
Sue
Apr 25, 2009 Sue rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sue by: Karl Fritch
Enjoyable, though not one of Jonathan Kellerman's best, in my opinion.
David
Maybe a 5 on the ten point system, but only because I save two's for the likes of James Patterson.....Not the best Kellerman book I've read. PLot a little too weird to be believable, and some strange characters make it even less a spirited read, not to mention the screwy trail of quotes to uncover the mystery. If this was my first Kellerman book, I would cross him off and go elsewhere. Not that his others I've read are poised for any literary awards, but this one just barely above "it was ok", b ...more
Audrey
Typical Kellerman - good airplane read.
J
I DON'T HIDE MY REVIEWS EVEN IF THEY HAVE SPOILERS. BUT I DON'T PUT THEM ON A FEED, EITHER.

I wouldn't say that Alex Delaware has jumped the shark in "The Web," but the novel is analogous to Fonzy from "Happy Days" taking a trip to Hawaii.

Alex and Robin go to an obscure Pacific atoll, Aruk, for the book's action. Their burnt-to-crisp bungalow is being rebuilt and Alex has received a research offer from a doctor based on the atoll.

Supposedly Alex is to help the doctor organize his records collecte
Dag Dawit

The web is a well written book. Jonathan Kellerman is a very good author. He worte the book using a lot of figurative language which made the book more interesting. " The lady is old so she is wiped out". He also uses words that catches the readers attention. While reading the book you wouldnt even realize how fast you go because it is so interesting.

If you love mystery and action you must read this book because thats what its filled with. Its impossible for you to get lost when you read it, b
Sherri
I have read a lot of Kellerman's books, and I think I have now read almost his entire Alex Delaware series. The later books I thoroughly enjoyed, the earlier books (which luckily I read out of order) I hated. This one, being quite firmly in the middle I wasn't sure how I would feel. And having read it, honestly I'm still unsure. To start with, I finished it last night, yet I STILL had to go look up the title to leave this review, so that should tell you something. Secondly, it was weird. There i ...more
Bridgette Redman
As much as I hate the little cards that have to be sent back to book clubs, I have them to thank for my discovery of Jonathan Kellerman. As usual, I had forgotten to return the card and "The Web" arrived in the mail. Rather than return it, I decided to give it a read. I had read several of his wife's books and liked them so I was willing to give him a try. I figured from the title that perhaps it was about cyberpunk or some Net mystery. I've never been so delighted to be wrong.

Kellerman's "The
Kari Ramirez
For some reason I am unable to fully explain this book held my attention much better than the previous 9 Alex Delaware novels. One of my biggest dislikes, really there are very few, is Kellerman's habit of describing whatever route Alex drives when he has to go somewhere. Being on an island that is 7 square miles and only about 1 mile of that accessible he wasn't really able to do that. So maybe that's it!

Nonetheless, I was captivated by the story. There was this mystery and in hindsight maybe l
Paul
This was a little better than I thought it would be but not enough to impress me. The story was okay but to me the writing is pretty average. Man, this guy uses a lot of metaphors, I mean, his writing is a dust storm that doesn't quiet cover everything. I might read something else by the author if I hear some of his work is a step above others, or if I'm somewhere and it's the only thing to read. I didn't hate it, it just didn't move me.
Valerie
Alex gets an invitation for an all-expenses paid trip to a tropical island in Micronesia to help a doctor organize his papers for publication. Paradisaic on the surface, the island soon shows it's not all as heavenly as it appears.

Other than a few phone conversations, no Milo in this book, although Robin & Spike accompany Alex to the island.

I thought the setting was a little on the unbelievable side, and the ending was also pretty far-fetched ~ thus the 3 star rating. However, the story kep
Q4
Okay, ngl, I only read the first ten pages and the last ten pages. I already didn't like the book from reading the summary on the back of it, I don't care for Robin, I know I'll miss Milo and also wtf spiders? and all the plot taking place on an island. So, I tried, albeit for only a few pages but this is a book in the series I'll give a miss. Sorry Mr. Kellerman.
sandra sprenger
Not at all what you were expecting.

Alex and Robin on vacation. that should be enough that you know nothing will be as it seems. our secrets we keep hidden from the world, now coming out. people's lives changing because of their choices. not your average mystery,but a good read. does seem to amble along slowing. not a real action book, more a thinking trying to figure what's next. Good solid story and read.
Wendy
I wanted to like this book. Oh, how I WANTED to like this book. I started reading the Alex Delaware series about a year ago. I've thoroughly enjoyed many I've read so far, but this installation of the series has been so boring for me to read that I've read approximately 5 other books since starting it and am still struggling to return to it.
The story line takes a deviation from the usual in taking Alex and Robin away from L.A. and placing them on a remote island with an eccentric old doctor and
Goodreads Librari...: Add ISBN13 to ISBN: 9024554527 3 29 Jul 01, 2012 04:17AM
  • Serpent's Tooth (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #10)
  • Turnstone (DI Joe Faraday, #1)
  • Undone
  • Harm's Way (Alan Gregory, #4)
Jonathan Kellerman was born in New York City in 1949 and grew up in Los Angeles. He helped work his way through UCLA as an editorial cartoonist, columnist, editor and freelance musician. As a senior, at the age of 22, he won a Samuel Goldwyn Writing Award for fiction.

Like his fictional protagonist, Alex Delaware, Jonathan received at Ph.D. in psychology at the age of 24, with a specialty in the t
More about Jonathan Kellerman...

Alex Delaware (1 - 10 of 31 books)
  • When the Bough Breaks (Alex Delaware, #1)
  • Blood Test (Alex Delaware, #2)
  • Over the Edge (Alex Delaware, #3)
  • Silent Partner (Alex Delaware, #4)
  • Time Bomb (Alex Delaware, #5)
  • Private Eyes (Alex Delaware, #6)
  • Devil's Waltz (Alex Delaware, #7)
  • Bad Love (Alex Delaware, #8)
  • Self-Defense (Alex Delaware, #9)
  • The Clinic (Alex Delaware, #11)
When the Bough Breaks (Alex Delaware, #1) Deception (Alex Delaware, #25) Victims (Alex Delaware, #27) Time Bomb (Alex Delaware, #5) Silent Partner (Alex Delaware, #4)