Start by marking “The Secret of the Painted House (A Stepping Stone Book)” as Want to Read:
The Secret of the Painted House (A Stepping Stone Book)

The Secret of the Painted House (A Stepping Stone Book)

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  19 reviews
When Emily finds a locked playhouse in the woods, she can't resist peeking through the windows. Inside, the walls are painted to look just like the surrounding woods, right down to an identical white playhouse with blue shutters. But the playhouse is not as deserted as Emily first thought. A girl Emily's age lives on the painted walls—and she's dying for Emily to join her! ...more
Published July 8th 2009 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published July 10th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret of the Painted House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret of the Painted House

Dolly
Dec 02, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
We've read the series of Ghost stories by Marion Dane Bauer featuring colorful ghosts. Our oldest loved these tales, and I appreciated that she could tell a spooky story that isn't too scary for children.

This story follows along in that vein, although I think it's the creepiest so far. The plot is engaging, but it ends a bit too abruptly. There were unanswered questions that our girls and I discussed after we finished the book, (view spoiler)
Beth
9 year old Emily and her little brother Logan have just moved to a house in the country with no other kids around. Logan's just too little to play with so Emily goes out into the woods by herself and finds a real house just the right size for her. When she looks through the window she sees that the house is empty but there are trees painted on the walls and a painting of a house exactly like the house she's looking into. And peeking around one of the trees is another little girl...
This is a tran
Linda
A cute little story for younger readers and a quick read. Emily's family moves to a new house near the woods. In the woods she finds a little painted house and in the house the walls are painted to look like the woods with the little house in it. And in the picture of the house is a little girl who is lonely and wants Emily to stay forever.
Gracie Reyes
There's a girl! You just don't see her...

"where?" you ask

She lies is the painting behind you. Watching your every move... She's afriad of fire and wanders about searching for her mom... Yes her mom, her mother is hiding in the painting too But where? Where is she? and why won't she let us get-out-of-here?
Uflchildrens
Emily finds a mysterious playhouse in the woods with a mural of the woods that surround it painted on the walls inside. She finds out that the girl the house was built for died in a fire years ago but her ghost lives on in the mural and wants Emily to join her! Spooky! --Rachel
j/first chapter/Bauer
Amy Brown
For 3rd/4th grade. A not so scary, scary story for younger kids. Emily moves to a new place, finds a locked playhouse in the woods, and meets a girl who lives in the drawings inside the playhouse who doesn't want to let her new friend leave.
Roxanne Hsu Feldman
This title starts off really promising and quite eerie. It's a feat to write something for the really beginning readers that contain such sense of danger and mystery. The resolution leaves something to be desired, though. A pity.
Kelly Rae
A good "scary" book for the really young. There are some topics that might be a little "old" for the targeted age group. Such as Pin's mom "leaving her." But overall it was good, I was even a little spooked!
Ayashe
I would have enjoyed it more when I was little. It reminded me of a much better written "Are you afraid of the dark?" episode. Pleasantly spooky and wonderfully written.
carissa
When her family moves from Chicago to the country, nine-year-old Emily is drawn to a mysterious playhouse she finds in the woods and soon meets its sad, lonely inhabitant.
Chrissy
Emily just wants to get away from her new house in the forest, but when she gets trapped in a strange playhouse in the woods, she realizes home is just where she wants to be.
Deja
To me i thought this book was really interesting,so i read it in the middle of the book i was so into that i finished the book in less than 2days, i really enjoyed.
Becky
I was a bit disappointed with this one. I suppose I could say it was a bit of a mystery/scary story and give it to those who need beginning chapter books.
Sonya
i loved this book. i think this is a cool book because i gives you a question after question and it keeps you reading!!!
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
Its about a little girl who's missing from her mom and she's trapped in a painting and she got lonely until she got helped. A.
Julie
Feb 06, 2008 Julie rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: early chapter book readers
A haunted playhouse in the woods! Easy to read, not too scary. Author wrote Blue Ghost (3rd place Bluebonnet).
Molly Panzer
I was downloading from 3M Cloud Library title list and recognized Marion Dane Bauer and decided to read.
Nora
It was a great read. I never would have thought of having a playhouse being cursed. Very good!
Qian
Nine year's old Emily is a brave girl
Verlene
Verlene marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Chris
Chris added it
Sep 02, 2014
Chris
Chris added it
Sep 02, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Nicole
Nicole added it
Aug 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Marion Dane Bauer is the author of more than eighty books for young people, ranging from novelty and picture books through early readers, both fiction and nonfiction, books on writing, and middle-grade and young-adult novels. She has won numerous awards, including several Minnesota Book Awards, a Jane Addams Peace Association Award for RAIN OF FIRE, an American Library Association Newbery Honor Aw ...more
More about Marion Dane Bauer...
Am I Blue?: Coming Out from the Silence On My Honor Toes, Ears, & Nose!: A Lift-the-Flap Book Runt Land of the Buffalo Bones: The Diary of Mary Ann Elizabeth Rodgers, An English Girl in Minnesota (Dear America)