Start by marking “The Shakespeare Curse (Kate Stanley, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Shakespeare Curse (Kate Stanley, #2)

The Shakespeare Curse (Kate Stanley #2)

3.42  ·  Rating Details ·  1,682 Ratings  ·  294 Reviews
The modern heroine of the national bestseller Interred with Their Bones returns, in a thriller centering on Shakespeare’s eeriest play.

A legendary theatrical curse . . . A rune-engraved blade, a mysterious mirror, and an ancient cauldron . . . And a ritually murdered body laid out in the manner of ancient pagan burials.

Kate Stanley, Jennifer Lee Carrell’s dauntless Shakes
Published January 1st 2010 by Sphere

To ask other readers questions about The Shakespeare Curse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shakespeare Curse

Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Haunt Me Still is a sequel to Interred with Their Bones in which Kate Stanley was on the hunt for a missing Shakespeare play. In this book, she is hired to stage a new production of Macbeth. Macbeth is a play so famously cursed that actors even refuse to name the play or quote from the play aloud. And it won’t take long before it seems like the play really is cursed…

Interred with Their Bones was such a good book that I for a long time have wanted to read Haunt Me Still, unfortunately, this book
Robin
Aug 09, 2010 Robin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-in-10
I really wanted to like this book. But honestly, it ran about 8000 words too long and by the end I didn't care what happened to any of the characters. I also didn't care what had happened alternately two hundred and four hundred years in the past, although presumably most of those characters have the decency to be dead now.
if someone can tell me what that stupid chapter about flying to New York and back was about, I'd be glad to hear it.
I'm only going to recommend this book if you just have a re
LJ
First Sentence: Wrapped in a gown of blue-green velvet trimmed with gold, a queen’s crown on his head, the boy sat drowsing on the throne near the center of the Great Hall, just at the edge of the light.

Shakespeare scholar turned stage director Kate Stanley has been asked to meet Lady Nairn, formerly actress Janet Douglas. Lady Nairn wants Kate to direct a new production of the Scottish play incorporating the collection of valuable artifacts linked to the play collected by her late husband. The
Annalisa
Apr 14, 2012 Annalisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really want to like Carrell's books. I'm a Shakespearean and so they should be great fun. But having read two (this and Interred with Their Bones) I find I can't get past the insanely convoluted plots (really, when you need an author's note and a character recapping events to understand what's happening, things have spun out of control) and, honestly the treatment of Shakespeare.

I love Shakespeare, obviously. I think he was a genius. But I don't think he was unique. And Carrell's books fall in
Kurt Young
Jan 20, 2011 Kurt Young rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I DO NOT quit reading books after I've started them. God, I wish I could quit reading this book, after I started.

A sound premise: Shakespeare changed MacBeth after the witch scene in his first production actually cast a working spell; it cursed the play for the rest of time.

Unfortunately, this premise is quickly lost in a sea of graduate-level English Lit trivia. Pointless chases; random characters appear and are killed off; villains wander in and out, changing names.

Awful dreck.
Bettie☯
Steve Walker
Jun 25, 2010 Steve Walker rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a disappointment. Jennifer Carrell's first book was worth reading for the prose alone, even if it had not been a good story. But it was a great story and very fun; I couldn't put it down. This book continues with the same characters and involves another Shakespeare mystery so I anticipated a very good read. Kate is portrayed as she was in the last book and it's a year later in her life and picks right up where she left off. Ben on the other hand has his character changed. In the last book h ...more
Joie
Jun 01, 2012 Joie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

Wow. What a convoluted mess. As a lifelong fan of Shakespeare, I really wanted to enjoy this literary mystery, but, while the author has a clear affection for and impressive knowledge of all things Shakespeare, the plot lacks anything of real interest. Characters who were intelligent, exciting, and enjoyable in Carrell's previous novel, Interred with Their Bones, come across as flat and almost nondescript in this second outing; and, the plot is, at times, painstakingly slow. Without anyone to r
Jeane
Oct 31, 2010 Jeane rated it really liked it
Shelves: scotland
Kate is a Shakespeare lover/specialist which is being called to Scotland to help directing a play based on a Shakespeare story. That is the reason she is being asked to come from London to Scotland but as she will soon find out it isn't that easy and might not even be te main thing she will be doing there. From the castle she will be staying there is 'the hill' where nobody should go alone. Everywhere there is 'Shakespeare's curse'. For Kate to find what she needs to be able to help Lady Nairn w ...more
Zephfire
Feb 05, 2010 Zephfire rated it it was amazing
This is the sequel to "The Shakespeare secret" but you needn't have read the first to appreciate this book, it is a sequel in the sense that it is the continuing story of events that centre around the character of Kate Stanley who was introduced in the first book. This book follows the events that unfurl as Kate is asked to direct a 400th anniversary production of the famously cursed Shakespeare play Macbeth in Scotland. There's a kidnapping, murder, mystery, ghosts, secrets, lies, and long lost ...more
Lyla Ibrahim
Jan 25, 2013 Lyla Ibrahim rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the Shakespearean elements in this story but I have to say, the plot is a little insane and convoluted most of the time. The thing that I don't understand most is that the character Kate has a mild concussion before setting off to Britain and America to find the lost manuscript without enough food or sleep or even a shower. I wanted to believe that it's her perseverance and will power that kept her going but still, you'll need at least a little sleep after a concussion. At least that's ...more
Kimberly
Aug 06, 2010 Kimberly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Great idea for a story, but not very well executed. There was enough going on for three books. It jumps around, is overly dramatic in parts and is hard to follow, or maybe you just need to be a Shakespeare scholar to keep up. I like to read about historical people and events in fiction and generally feel as though I have learned more about them. Not in this case.
Stacie (MagicOfBooks)
Kate (VerbVixen)
Haunt Me Still- Jennifer Lee Carrell

OK let me preface this review by saying if you haven't read her first book, Interred with their Bones you need to go read it. Like right now. No, seriously, go get it. It's about the search for Shakespeare's lost Cardenio.

Jennifer Lee Carrell is utterly brilliant as a writer with plot twists you never see coming. I mean, we're talking way better than Dan Brown since the subject of her books is occult Shakespeare not conspiracy theorist religion. Additionally,
Kristen
This was an okay book. I mostly enjoyed it, but did find the plot somewhat convoluted - uncessarily so - and a bit too much detail that I found unnecessary to the story.

When Shakespeare professor Kate Stanley is asked to direct a very special version of "The Scottish Play" for the reclusive Lady Nairn, she never expects that this will lead to multiple murders, secret demonic plots, kidnapping and the influences of a long ago Lady who wanted to be Queen, and the famous John Dee.

As I said, the sto
Carmaletta Hilton
It was okay. The book kept me interested, though the beginning was slow. Once I got about 100 pages in, though, I found myself becoming more engaged. I did find myself annoyed with the number of times something "rippled" in the story, though. I found myself actually stopping and saying, "Please, learn another word." I just read that word in another book and actually winced.

The occult stuff was interesting, especially the way the author went about it. The story was written in a way that you got
Bridget
Apr 10, 2010 Bridget rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kate and her cohort, Ben, are working on a play, Macbeth with their own twist. A lot of actors won't touch this play because of it's history. Some won't even speak it's name. Kate starts to find herself in different places with no recollection of how she got there. When people start dying and the deaths look like a part of a pagan ritual, Kate is forced to believe in the curse. She and Ben set out to find a long lost version of this play that holds the answers they seek.

I love a good mystery. Th
Karen
Jan 04, 2014 Karen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, when I see "haunted" in the title, there better be some ghosts. Or at least one spooky part. And this title is clearly mislabeled. But it is just a Dan Brown wannabe that fuses Shakespeare's MacBeth with a lot of confusing jabberwocky that may or may not be true fact. Or even close to the truth about the wonderful myths that surround this play. And some people say that they can't understand the Bard!
Reham Alrukhaimi
Sep 26, 2014 Reham Alrukhaimi rated it did not like it
If you love Shakespeare you will love this book, unfortunately I’m not one of his fans. The plot of this book is amazing, but this is not enough to make a good novel because the characters are really almost dead ! No development; they don’t even have tendency or potentiality to change ! I found it really hard to finish the book, skipping several pages at the end to just know what happens at the end. This unbalanced combination creates a very boring novel. Not recommended.
Eileen
Sep 04, 2010 Eileen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Carroll's a decent writer and seems to be an excellent researcher, but I've always disliked books that make up history. I didn't like the "DaVinci Code" for this reason (that and Dan Brown is a very bad writer). Additionally, what is a big sin for a mystery, there was not much suspense built in to the story.
Terri
Jul 17, 2016 Terri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting new ideas about the play MacBeth and witchcraft. I enjoyed looking up aspects of the novel (like Dee's mirrror and Dee, himself) and finding that they were based in fact. Interesting murder mystery and adventure novel though at times I felt myself struggling to keep some of the characters straight.
Diana
May 30, 2014 Diana rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I pulled the bookmark out of this one, do not feel bad about it and will never think of it again.
The Reading Cove Book Club ❦
Bonus Book ~ September thru December 2016!
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Kate Stanley has been summoned by The Lady of a remote Scottish Castle. Situated at the foot of Dunsinnan Hill of Macbeth notoriety, any theater director given half a chance to visit Dunsinnan Castle would leap at the opportunity to visit and meet it's inhabitants. Lady Nairn has become recluse in her later years and invites are rare. Once the great screen actress Janet Douglas she, like Grace Kelly, fell in love with nobility and gave up her old life for a new one. Though she never did forget h ...more
Sam Piper
The last book I read, The Passage by Justin Cronin, took me a month to read.

This book, The Shakespeare Curse, took me 72 hours. That's not a good sign. Not good at all. I like to lose myself in a book, to live, breathe, love and bleed with the characters I share my reading with. I like to immerse myself in the narrative, care for characters, feel their relationships grow and develop.

I could barely remember who was who in The Shakespeare Curse. Perhaps this was the effect of too many mince pies
Anachronist
What I liked:

I could sum it up this way: I liked the second novel far better because there was less Dan Brown-ish antics, more Shakespeare. Macbeth is one of my favourite plays and indeed it is a bit creepy so it worked really fine -especially when combined with the creepiness, the Scottish castles and the Edinburgh festival. I appreciated the location far more than the jumps across continents from the previous novel.

Kate Stanley, our protagonist gets sucked into a bizarre twist of events that
Ewelina
Nov 26, 2013 Ewelina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Po „Szyfrze Szekspira” postanowiłam dać szansę kolejnym przygodom z Kate Stanley. Tak jak Szyfr był w jakiś sposób zaskakujący, tak druga część to taki odgrzewany kotlet. Kolejny raz mamy przygodę z Szekspirem, co nie byłoby takie złe gdyby nie schematyzm. Do kotła „fabuły” wrzucono trochę kryminalnej zagadki, kapkę historii oraz wiedzy o religii i ezoteryce (z nimi wiążą się dość niepasujące elementy „fantastyczne”, które tak właściwie za wiele nie wnoszą).

"Świetność geniuszu Barda zasadzała si
Gabrielle
Synopsis:
The Bard’s witch-haunted play is famously cursed—its reputation for malevolence is strong that many actors refuse to quote or even mane the play aloud. And as Kate Stanley begins rehearsals at the foot of Scotland’s Dunsinnan Hill, it doesn’t take long for the curse to stir. Strange references emerge to the boy actor who first played Lady Macbeth in Shakespeare’s day and died in the role. A trench atop the hill is found filled with blood shortly after some of the actors go missing. And
Katy
Aug 17, 2013 Katy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars

I love Kate Stanley. And thus, I believe I love Jennifer Lee Carrell. The character seems so similar with the author in terms of education and interests, that it is hard not to imagine Jennifer as Kate and vice versa.

I remember reading the first Kate Stanley book all too well. I actually listened to it on audio on a trip across the midwest. It was the kind of book that just sucked me in. There was murder and mayhem, plus a minor love story. And through the whole book I was amazed by th
Azra
Feb 23, 2017 Azra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, horror-ish
I wish I could give half stars, but I don't want to round up. This was mostly a good, fun read. The author did a good job weaving Shakespeare, John Dee, a smattering of Wicca, esoteric books and murder into the story.

Points are taken away, however, for a few mistakes that temporarily took me out of the story. One example was during the Samhuinn Fire Festival where the main character loses her mask in the crowd, only to take it again off a page or two later.

So, yes, this is a fun read but it co
Cast the book 1 20 Sep 24, 2011 10:14AM
  • Loser's Town: A David Spandau Novel
  • A Very Private Grave (Monastery Murders, #1)
  • The Horribles
  • La playa de los ahogados (Leo Caldas, #2)
  • Eye of the Raven (Duncan McCallum, #2)
  • Nepřítel mého nepřítele (Bavettovi, #2)
  • Am Ende des Schweigens
  • The Empty Mirror (Viennese Mysteries #1)
  • Unholy Awakening (Hanno Stiffeniis, #4)
  • Skating Over the Line (Rebecca Robbins, #2)
  • Dying Scream
  • Love You to Death
  • Do not Disturb (Pennyfoot Hotel #2)
  • Bleeding Heart Square
  • A Gentleman of Fortune (A Dido Kent Mystery #2)
  • The Girl Next Door
  • Anatomy of Murder (Crowther and Westerman, #2)
  • Nachtstürm Castle: A Gothic Austen Novel
I've always wanted to write books; early on, my fallback career choices were ballerina and astronaut. It has something of a surprise, though, to find myself writing thrillers. I am now working on a novel of historical fiction about one of my favorite paintings, Jan Van Eyck's Arnolfini Wedding.

Learn more at my web site: www.jenniferleecarrell.com , or visit me on Facebook . I welcome interaction
More about Jennifer Lee Carrell...

Kate Stanley (2 books)
  • Interred with Their Bones (Kate Stanley, #1)

“If you believe in magic,' I (Kate) said.
'If it exists,' said Joanna, 'it doesn't matter a toss whether you believe in it or not.”
1 likes