Start by marking “The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror” as Want to Read:
The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror

The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror (Pine Cove #3)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  29,879 ratings  ·  2,239 reviews
'Twas the night (okay, more like the week) before Christmas, and all through the tiny community of Pine Cove, California, people are busy buying, wrapping, packing, and generally getting into the holiday spirit.

But not everybody is feeling the joy. Little Joshua Barker is in desperate need of a holiday miracle. No, he's not on his deathbed; no, his dog hasn't run away from
Published October 28th 2008 by William Morrow (first published October 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Stupidest Angel, please sign up.

Michael It's not so much a series as they are stories set in the same town with many of the same characters. There are occasional references to things that…moreIt's not so much a series as they are stories set in the same town with many of the same characters. There are occasional references to things that happened in other books, but nothing that spoils any of the stories. I read them out of sequence. In some of the earlier books, I had the "aha" moment.(less)
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsGood Omens by Terry PratchettLamb by Christopher MooreThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanA Dirty Job by Christopher Moore
Books that Make you Laugh
18th out of 2,321 books — 3,480 voters
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsGood Omens by Terry PratchettLamb by Christopher MooreThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanMe Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris
Best Humorous Books
37th out of 2,970 books — 5,861 voters

More lists with this book...

John
What is not to love about a book that has a pot smoking law official married to a crazy woman who runs around naked with a broad sword, brain sucking zombies lead by Santa who want to go shopping at IKEA, incompetent arc angel who likes snickers, and a talking fruit bat? I found the story to be very entertaining with several laugh out loud points (I listened to it on tape). I’d recommend this book to anyone who can just let go of reality and enjoy a tale.
Aoibhínn
The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror was my first Christopher Moore novel. This novel is not the type of book I normally read.

The plot was quite thin but there were tons of funny scenes that made me giggle and snicker (it wasn't funny enough to make me laugh out loud). However I got bored with this book pretty quickly. The humour in this book is very "in your face" type humour. The humour was just so repetitive that it started to get on my nerves after a while and the jo
Marvin
I just picked this book for our book club's December read but couldn't wait until December to read it. I guess you can say that a little Christmas mayhem is good for any time of the year. And if you think Christmas tales are rather lame, peruse this single paragraph at the beginning of the novel.
In another Christmas story, Dale Pearson, evil developer, self-absorbed woman hater, and seemingly unredeemable curmudgeon, might be visited in the night by a series of ghosts who, by showing him bleak v
Chris
3.5 stars.

This really had some potential, and some of the stuff was downright hilarious. But it did seem to run a bit long at times. Still, Christopher Moore is a funny dude and I'll read more of his stuff.

Plus, the audio was dead-on. The narrator, Tony Roberts, had a great voice for narration and nailed the characters. His delivery of Moore's punchlines was spot on too.
Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh
Dec 15, 2012 Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those with a twisted sense of humour
3 stars: It starts weak, you know that snarky humour that can wear thin real fast? Then he switches to crude. Crude done well can be hilarious and Moore’s a master. It’s a bizarre story packed with quirky characters, an action packed little page turner. Throw in a cemetery full of gossipy dead people, a murder, an archangel on a mission, zombies and a fruit bat. It’s even got a few decent though admittedly twisted love interests. My favorite the pot addicted cop and his warrior babe wife (a lov ...more
Paula
Its utterly rediculous, but its also laugh out loud FUNNY. Im listening on audio book and I've never enjoyed doing laundry more. Its totally odd ball, irreverent, immature, deviously clever and just plain silly, as are most of Moore's books. It doesn't matter if you find the story "believeable" its TOO FUNNY for me to care.

C'mon, washed-up female-battle-warrior cult movie star whos totally nuts (in a friendly crazy neighbor sort of way) married to pot smoking sherrif. DEA helicopeter subcontrac
Sandi
I don't think a book has made me laugh this much since Good Omens The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch. I want to be the Warrior Babe of the Outland and fight zombies who want to eat brains and go to IKEA. I saw the movie Zombieland this past weekend and that might have just put me in the right frame of mind for this book.

Humor in literature is a very subjective thing. What makes one person laugh his butt off is just dumb and annoying to someone else. I love the humor of Conni
Carol
The Stupidest Angel really is one crazy, twisted book! This is the warning from author Christopher Moore just prior to the first chapter.....so take heed:

"If you're buying this book as a gift for your grandma or a kid, you should be aware that it contains cusswords as well as tasteful depictions of cannibalism and people in their forties having sex. Don't blame me. I told you."

Anyway, I did have a few laughs resulting from the freakish conversations between the undead in the graveyard, and did

Eric
Jun 26, 2014 Eric rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Christopher Moore, other people who like to laugh
Recommended to Eric by: Bobbi Madigan
How else but in a mad lib could you have a book involving an idiot angel, a pot smoking sheriff, a zombie Santa, a talking fruit bat, and Kendra, Warrior Babe of the Outland? From the mind and pen of Christopher Moore, that's how!

This is typical Moore fare, which is to say, atypical, irreverent, and funny as hell. It's a short, quick read that never takes itself the least bit seriously, and, best yet, it's a Christmas story (I really hope they make a movie out of this, as is allegedly in the wor
Shayantani Das
Three frequently repeated reactions while reading this book:

Arghh!! How lame/ irritating/ silly!!
Arghh!! Stop swearing you *******!!
Arghh!! This is not funny, its STUPID!!

The Stupidest angel was a stupid book, with stupid angels, and other stupid and irritating characters and stupid jokes which gave me a headache and were not funny, and I am not stupid enough to read it anymore. I GIVE UP!!
Leslie
Mar 10, 2008 Leslie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like demented stuff
Shelves: audiobooks, christmas
If you're sick of all the sentimental Christmas stories and looking for something a little different and have a twisted sense of humor. This is the book for you.

My favorite scenes were when the dead people would talk to each other in the cemetery. I also liked how a lot of characters were very crochety and not shy about cussing.

Christopher Moore is the greatest at twisted, dark humor :)
Kevin
Heartwarming? (meant ironically) A stupid angel is supposed to give a child his Christmas wish. The 7 year old child sees "Santa" getting hit with a shovel and wishes that Santa was still alive. Santa comes back to life with a group of his dead friends as zombies. This book had a couple of very funny scenes but in my opinion was definitely not worth the time.
Britany
This was a completely different type of read for me. It was different, funny, and very odd. I went with where the author took me and tried to think of it as realistic at all. It was a nice change of pace concerning holiday reading.

Zombies, drunk santas, and warrior women? Sign me up!
Jim
This has no redeeming value other than being entertaining & short with a dash of heartwarming. Pure snark, mildly amusing, & kind of fun, but the joke was wearing thin by the end. I'm rounding up to give it 3 stars. Still, it has Xmas, zombies, & definitely the stupidest angel. The best characters were the dog, the bat, & the psycho warrior princess, not necessarily in that order...

Yeah, it was kind of weird, but very well read.

I'm not sure, but I might have liked this more if I
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
Santa?
Murdered?
WTF!!
This book had me rooting for the poor dippy angel trying to help the poor boy.
I almost dropped this book into the bathtub from laughing so hard.
IT's that cute.
Sara
Ah, what to say about this book? I expected funnier. I really expected funnier. The review I read of this book made me (and my friends) laugh out loud. It was like seeing the trailer for a movie and laughing so much and then going to the show and realizing that the trailer had all the funny bits.

I did like the scene with Molly in the Pine Cove Bait and Tackle and Fine Wine shop. She was my favorite character in the book and I liked the scenes with her. Also, Christmas zombies are always good. Th
Serena
Christopher Moore's The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror is another audiobook to entertain, even at 5 A.M. on the commute into the city. My husband and I have gotten into a habit of listening to audiobooks in the car when we travel to and from work, and when we take little road trips.

Christopher Moore's books seem to be the most addictive for us even with the sometimes dark humor and harsh content. The Stupidest Angel is no exception.

The book is set in Pine Cove, Calif.,
Diane
Stupid is an understatement. Bizarre, sick, twisted. And yet I finished it? What does that make me?
Susan
My favorite Christmas read. Just so off, it's funny. My second year to love this odd story.
Charlene Intriago
Parts of this book are incredibly funny but by the time you get to page 211 of this 306 page book, you know you are reading one of the most "warped" Christmas books ever! It is satire at its finest. It's Christmas in Pine Cove, California - just one of your typical little coastal towns that depends on the annual event for an influx of tourist dollars - but has a whole cast of zany characters starting with the town's only cop Theo Crowe (who has moved past his hippie days to become one of Califor ...more
Susan
While looking for a Christmas book for our reading group this December, that was not saccharine or sweet, I came across this. I had not read anything by Christopher Moore before and so I was not sure what to expect; but this is certainly not saccharine - just very, very funny. Many of the characters seem to have appeared in previous books, but that did not matter in this stand-alone story, as the author cleverly introduces the characters of Pine Cove; a sleepy Califormanian coastal village. Well ...more
Chris
Time to start reviewing some of my seasonal favorites, starting with my absolute favorite Christmas book, at least my favorite modern Christmas book. Subtitled A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror, this book doesn't stint on the seasonally heartwarming. Or the terror. Or the laughs!

"Fear not...for I bring you tidings of great joy. Behold, your Christmas wish has been granted...Not what I would have wished for..."

By the time Raziel, the common sense challenged angel of the title, makes this pr
Stephen
At the General Convention of the Episcopal Church in Anaheim, California, in 2009, a lot of deputies were passing around copies of a reputedly very funny book by Christopher Moore (no relation) called Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal. I didn't read it because I got in line too late to borrow Duncan Bayne's copy. Because Episcopalians are allowed to have a sense of humour (in contrast to members of those denominations which derive from John Calvin, Ulrich Zwingli, John K ...more
Autumn

This reminds me of Holidays on Ice by David Sedaris only instead of dead pan serious but funny and painfully realistic like Sedaris, this book is chalked full of oddities (like a talking fruit bat) and is often times on the silly side. They share the dry twisted humor but their approaches are very different. While this Christmas tale delves into the impossible like zombies, Sedaris makes us laugh at our own realities.

Before reading this book, it is important to know that it requires a certain mo
Judy

I'm in a grinchy, grumbly, bah humbug mood today. Ordering Christmas presents on-line is easier than fighting through the mall, but it is hard enough to get the Christmas spirit in So Cal, so that doesn't help. It feels kind of stupid.

As did this book, read for one of my reading groups. At least it wasn't as stupid as the stupid Christmas mysteries we have read in years past. But it felt like reading a TV show. Since I don't watch TV anymore, I guess I shouldn't complain, but the guy humor did n
Marcie
LOVED. Crazy fun. Love the scenes written from the perspective of the scientist's dog and the perspective of the dead people in the church graveyard and the things they overhear and have overheard over the years.
____

Am upgrading this from 4 stars to 5. After a little time passing, have decided to not penalize this gem because it's a "comedy" -- like the Academy Awards view comedy as less worthy than drama, not acknowledging that comedy is often harder to pull off.

This guy is SERIOUSLY funny and
JG (The Introverted Reader)
I can't even really say what this is about without giving anything away. Let's just say that the stupidest angel's mission to create a Christmas miracle goes horribly, hilariously awry in ways that only Christopher Moore could write about.

This wasn't quite as funny as I expected it to be, but I think since reading A Dirty Job as my first Moore novel, my expectations for the rest have been unrealistically high. I still laughed all through the book though, and drove my husband crazy reading him
Jenny
Jul 26, 2007 Jenny rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of silliness
Shelves: fromfriends
This was great. Shannon gave it to me for Christmas, do you see why I was reluctant to join this site? Though now I feel compelled to read more...

Instead of attempting to explain this book I thought I would just share an example of why I liked it so much:

Winter denial: therein lay the key to California Schadenfreude- the secret joy that the rest of the country feels at the misfortune of California. The country said: "Look at them, with their fitness and their tans, their beaches and their movie
Beth
This is the fourth Christopher Moore book; I'm reading them in no particular order, but started with "A Dirty Job."

Unlike "A Dirty Job" or "Lamb", this book took me a while to really appreciate. Initially, the humor seemed forced, as though Moore did as he said in his forward: a friend suggested he write a Christmas book and he replied "'kay."

But as with all of his books, he can take the absurd and make it believable and compelling and absolutely hysterical. Once the story got going, it became
Christine
This is definitely one of the strangest books I ever read. An angel who looks more like the grim reaper has come to perform a miracle in a small town populated by many dysfunctional people. I felt like I was back with my boys when they were teenagers watching a really bad Saturday afternoon tv movie.
Apocalypse Whenever: January 2015: The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror 59 94 Jan 27, 2015 11:47PM
Hopeful Wanderers: The Stupidest Angel 2 1 Jan 01, 2015 06:54PM
Apocalypse Whenever: Christmas 2013: My Tradition! 2 24 Jan 16, 2014 10:54AM
Literally Geeky: Deadly Fruit Bats 7 7 Jan 02, 2014 10:32AM
  • Gil's All Fright Diner
  • Orange Crush (Serge Storms, #3)
  • Zombie Haiku: Good Poetry for Your...Brains
  • Breathers: A Zombie's Lament
  • Brains: A Zombie Memoir
  • Pest Control
  • HELP!  A Bear is Eating Me!
  • Double Whammy
  • Death: A Life
  • Big Trouble
  • Things My Girlfriend and I Have Argued About
  • The Brightonomicon

Christopher Moore (born 1957 in Toledo, Ohio) is an American writer of absurdist fiction. He grew up in Mansfield, OH, and attended Ohio State University and Brooks Institute of Photography in Santa Barbara, CA.

Moore's novels typically involve conflicted everyman characters
More about Christopher Moore...

Pine Cove (3 books)
  • Practical Demonkeeping
  • The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove
Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal A Dirty Job (Grim Reaper, #1) Bloodsucking Fiends (A Love Story, #1) Fool You Suck (A Love Story, #2)

“People, generally, suck.” 2261 likes
“Christmas crept into Pine Cove like a creeping Christmas thing: dragging garland, ribbon, and sleigh bells, oozing eggnog, reeking of pine, and threatening festive doom like a cold sore under the mistletoe.” 141 likes