Start by marking “The Myth of a Christian Religion: Losing Your Religion for the Beauty of a Revolution” as Want to Read:

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  245 ratings  ·  22 reviews
In this sequel to his bestseller, The Myth of a Christian Nation, Dr. Gregory Boyd issues a clear call to manifest God's beauty and revolt against evil---with Jesus' life as our example. Passionate theology and practical insight combine to create a guidebook for simple, radical, Christlike living.
Published May 26th 2009 by Zondervan (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Myth of a Christian Religion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Myth of a Christian Religion

Bart Breen
Add another Voice to the Growing Revolution

Gregory A. Boyd is hardly a new voice in religious circles although he certainly has developed something of a reputation for being on the outside of many circles looking in. Boyd is an evangelical pastor with a distinguished past of academic accomplishments including training with honors at Yale and Princeton Theological Schools. He has served in the past as a professor at Bethel University.

Boyd is probably best known in the theological community as a l
Lynne Stringer
This book was a phenomenal read and woke me up to a number of things I was doing, as a Christian, out of unhealthy habits. It made me see, as a friend put it, that there is no 'us' and 'them' when it comes to people in the world, there is only 'us' and we should demonstrate that love to those who don't know Christ rather than distancing ourselves from them and waving the finger of judgement at them.
Kim
This is a great book for Christians and non-Christians alike. For non-Christians it shows that the Christianity that they are most familiar with may not accurately reflect the teachings of Jesus. For Christians, it makes us confront the way many of us distort Jesus' teachings to suit our own desires, instead of living the revolutionary, radical way Christians are called to be.
Ben Zajdel
The Myth of a Christian Religion is Gregory Boyd's follow up to The Myth of a Christian Nation. The book takes Boyd's opinions and views of a Christian nation even further, stating that Jesus did not come to start a new religion, but to bring the kingdom of God to earth.

Boyd basically expounds on many of the themes he covered in Myth of a Christian Nation, but focuses less on America and more on the individual spiritual condition. His passion and caring exude from the chapters, and we see more
Amanda
This is a well written book about who Jesus was and how his message got lost through the ages. He breaks down several controversial topics to uncover what Jesus would have done if given the situation. It cuts through the political rhetoric and reveals the power of Jesus Christ and the Father he represented. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It really made me think about a few things in a new perspective.
Erin
I think Greg Boyd has a real insight into topics he writes about and this book is no exception...because I LOVED his last book "Myth of a Christian Nation", this one initially was a lot of repeat at the beginning, but then got a bit more involved in new concepts.

Some good reminders about care of creation, nonviolence, and present-awareness....the last chapter talks about feeling God's presence in every mundane moment - and they get less mundane.

..."Our lives are nothing more than a series of pr
Hillery
Excellent, thought-provoking book by an evangelical minister that addresses a lot of the issues I have with organized religion in general. I recommend it for everyone, particularly my evangelical Christian friends. Living like Jesus would be truly revolutionary if we all did it, but no one does....especially the majority of Christian Conservatives in the US. So much of our western society is predicated on us not acting Christ-like. If we truly tried to emulate Christ, it would rock the American ...more
Dave
Another great book by Greg Boyd. It makes some great insights about contemporary Christianity, but I did feel it was a little repetitive after Myth of a Christian Nation.
Dennis Billi
Not as good as his earlier book, "Myth Of A Christian Nation", but Boyd hit on some good points that were worth considering in my walk with Christ.
Warren Benton
This book really got to me. Boyd talks about the Kingdom in a way we do not discuss the Kingdom. He talks about how if we are truly and alien here then why is there no difference in us and the current residents. A few times i had push back because he spoke of things like patriotism and how if we profess to be for the Kingdom then we have to not support a nation. He also brought up great points on viewing the other side of situations. Dont just look at them through our perspective.

David
I only gave it four stars, since it overlaps with much of Boyd's previous book, "Myth of a Christian Nation." Still, the content is Biblically-based and thought-provoking. It's well worth the time to read. I suggest reading the previous book first -- this one will then logically follow.
Lon
Not as good as the prequel, The Myth of a Christian Nation, but a good reminder that following Jesus takes courage and does not always follow the path of those who call themselves Christians but are functional atheists. I especially liked the chapters on violence and secularization.
Dean P.
I don't think it was as good as Myth of a Christian Nation but he argued some good points in the book. It would make a good small group discussion title.
John Fletcher
Wow what a great read. Loved each chapters focus and summary. The end has questions to work through each chapter and are good.
David
Third time through and it's better each time. First three chapters are a call to fall in love with God. The rest is how to stay in love and not get sucked into religious distractions. Thank you Boyd. Also see his book Present Perfect.
Bobby
Very accessible and challenging chapters on a variety of topics all revolving around the question of what God's Kingdom looks like. Not quite as personally compelling as "Myth of a Christian Nation", but a good read.
Kyle
Good intro for those interested in the difference between Christian faith and religion or religiosity. Good start for diving into the subversive nature of Christian practice.
Leroy Seat
This is a very fine book, and I recommend it heartily. It is honest, perceptive, and written by one whom I consider, after having read his book, a true Christian.
Jim Savage
currently reading this book; about 50% through and already one of the best books I have read... a must read.
Mark
nothing in here that hasn't been said better somewhere else. It is a good book though.
Adam
A very good and very challenging book about Christianity.
Russ Skinner
Again, well worth reading.
Krista
Krista marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Lettie Laferriere
Lettie Laferriere is currently reading it
May 18, 2015
Penney
Penney marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Mary Davis
Mary Davis marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
  • Unleashing the Power of Rubber Bands: Lessons in Non-Linear Leadership
  • Starting Your Best Life Now: A Guide for New Adventures and Stages on Your Journey
  • Lord, Change My Attitude
  • A Farewell to Mars: An Evangelical Pastor's Journey Toward the Biblical Gospel of Peace
  • Scripture and the Authority of God: How to Read the Bible Today
  • Dark Mysteries of the Vatican
  • The Subversion of Christianity
  • Becoming the Answer to Our Prayers: Prayer for Ordinary Radicals
  • Made of Honor
  • Hunter's Moon
  • Skeptics and True Believers: The Exhilarating Connection Between Science and Religion
  • Jesus and Nonviolence: A Third Way
  • The Evolution of Adam: What the Bible Does and Doesn't Say about Human Origins
  • Bible, Gender, Sexuality: Reframing the Church's Debate on Same-Sex Relationships
  • Where Heaven Begins
  • The Naked Anabaptist: The Bare Essentials of a Radical Faith (Third Way Collection)
  • The Sacredness of Questioning Everything
  • The Story of the Scrolls: The Miraculous Discovery and True Significance of the Dead Sea Scrolls
Gregory A. Boyd is the founder and senior pastor of Woodland Hills Church in St. Paul, Minn., and founder and president of ReKnew. He was a professor of theology at Bethel College (St. Paul, Minn.) for sixteen years where he continues to serve as an Adjunct Professor.

Greg is a graduate of the University of Minnesota (BA), Yale Divinity School (M.Div), and Princeton Theological Seminary (PhD). Gre
More about Gregory A. Boyd...
The Myth of a Christian Nation: How the Quest for Political Power Is Destroying the Church Letters from a Skeptic: A Son Wrestles with His Father's Questions about Christianity God of the Possible: A Biblical Introduction to the Open View of God Across the Spectrum: Understanding Issues in Evangelical Theology God at War: The Bible and Spiritual Conflict