Start by marking “Spotlight: A Close-Up Look at the Artistry and Meaning of Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Saga” as Want to Read:

Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Saga has taken the world by storm. The four novels that tell the paranormal romance of Bella Swan and Edward Cullen are international bestsellers that readers everywhere are discussing and re-reading again and again. But WHY are the books so popular? Critics have dismissed them as "Harlequin trash" and "literary junk food" but book lovers obvious ...more
Published January 1st 2010 by Zossima Press

To ask other readers questions about Spotlight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spotlight

Nicole Pramik
As a side note before I begin my review, I'd like to share that I am a huge fan of Granger's research into the Harry Potter series as he presents an intelligent analysis and isn't afraid to address the subtle (and sometimes not-so-subtle) Christian symbolism and themes. (As a side-note to the side-note, I think the Harry Potter novels contain a stronger, more genuine Christian message than some Christian fiction. But I digress - on to the review.)

When I saw that Granger was going to delve into t
Lotzastitches
Jan 01, 2010 Lotzastitches rated it it was amazing
In this book Mr. Granger uses Plato's cave allegory to explain why we like certain books...Twilight included. Very enlightening! :smile:

Mr. Granger then explains about the four layers of interpretation:
Surface, Moral, Allegorical, and Anagogical.

Quote from pg 21: Do you blush when you talk about reading Twilight? You don't need to. The folks looking down their noses at Young Romance fiction have missed the substantial meaning at the surface, moral, allegorical and anagogical layers that Mrs. Mey
Christy
Oct 18, 2011 Christy rated it liked it
This books offers a critical reading of the Twilight series, and in so doing sheds some light on the meaning and artistry buried in the surface story, but quite often it also reads like the academic blithering of a narcissistic intellectual.

Granger offers an interesting lens through which we can tease out hidden meaning from Twilight. He suggests we critique it using iconological criticism, something he associates with how medieval texts are interpreted, which were primarily religious. He choose
Heather
Feb 20, 2014 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
With my final project at University looking at teen sensations and their portrayal/traits of heroines, and a few surrounding issues, I knew the Twilight saga was going to be a big part of that. But, I decided to be as balanced as possible, and felt this was the way to do it.

And now I'm done, I can only concede a few things to his book. First, I would broadly say that Meyer couldn't write strong female characters to save herself, but my mind has been changed by this:

Look at the three Cullen women
Linda C.
Jun 14, 2010 Linda C. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: referencebooks
I first discovered John Granger due to his analyses of the Harry Potter series. He has a shrewd and learned eye regarding literature and delves deeper into underlying symbolic meanings better than anyone else I know. He has now taken his formidable talents and trained them upon the Twilight saga.

He describes how conscience and free choice is the underlying theme of the series. He not only uses his own arguments in analyzing the text to come up with that conclusion, but he includes excerpts of in
Aimee
Aug 24, 2010 Aimee rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Caius Volturi Moms--and anyone else who thinks there is more to Twilight than cute sparkly boys
To those who think Twilight is just paranormal/YA trash: neener, neener. Granger takes readers through the many different layers of Twilight and shows that there is much more in them than sparkly, cute boys. Literary alchemy, anyone? Very cool stuff.

My only difficulty with the book is in the second half where Granger shows how Stephenie Meyer's religious beliefs influence her writing. I agree with most (though not all) of his conclusions, but what left me disappointed was the obvious lack of res
Louise Freeman
Nov 07, 2010 Louise Freeman rated it it was amazing
I am a big fan of John Granger's Harry Potter writings; frankly, this book was the only reason I bothered with Twilight. While I am not sure that the case for explicit Christian imagery is as strong as for Harry Potter or even Hunger Games, seeing the connections to Mormon theology (and also the X-men!) was interesting. If you've read Twilight, you should read this companion book.
Danijela Jelicic
Aug 04, 2010 Danijela Jelicic rated it liked it
Interesting and informative. A bit too many repetitions.
B
Jul 24, 2011 B rated it did not like it
Shelves: nonfiction, clutter
I mostly read it out of curiosity. Twilight gets mostly criticism from "intellectual" sources these days. I didn't really buy into it, but the books had some very interesting insights.
Liz Cooper
Feb 01, 2014 Liz Cooper rated it liked it
It was ok, it heavily focused on the Mormon aspect and their are plenty of other books that do that.
Angelshona
Feb 16, 2013 Angelshona rated it really liked it
D.H.
Apr 11, 2012 D.H. marked it as to-read
I've forgotten how "heady" JOhn is...this will take me a while to read through. Thanks, John ;-)
Candice
Candice rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2012
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2011
Jenny
Jenny rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2013
Lodi
Lodi rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2012
Morgana Gray
Morgana Gray rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2013
Samantha
Samantha rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2012
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2014
Annie
Annie rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2012
Chrestha Ovi
Chrestha Ovi rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2013
Melissa Gifford
Melissa Gifford rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2012
Lynn Pharr
Lynn Pharr rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2014
Anna Bastow
Anna Bastow rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2013
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2012
Ben Gaffney
Ben Gaffney rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2013
Rebekah Clark
Rebekah Clark rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2017
Sonja
Sonja rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2013
Hannah
Hannah rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2013
Sunnee Terrell
Sunnee Terrell rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2015