Career Renegade Career Renegade

Career Renegade Career Renegade

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  264 ratings  ·  43 reviews
There's a revolution brewing across the nation--a movement that's changing lives and revealing little known paths to passion and prosperity.
It's about building agreat living around what you love to do most. Once you've been touched by it, you'll never be the same. This book is your way in, your admission ticket to the world of the career renegade.
"
"Jonathan Fields, mega-f...more
Published January 13th 2009 by Broadway Books (first published 2009)

Tracy
*Sigh* I picked up this book hoping to find an idea for a career I would actually enjoy. Instead, I couldn't even finish it because I got bogged down in trying to discover my "secret passion" - the activity I would do free AND what I would do if I won the lottery but couldn't get paid to work - and the activities that make me experience "flow". Well, I came up with 1) read a lot and 2) play beach volleyball. How am I going to make money off of doing those things when 1) I'm already a librarian a...more
David
fairly realistic, relentlessly detailed [amazing level of step-by-step instructions on using Internet search tools as part of your market research:] guide to turning hobbies/passions into a living. He doesn't discuss much whether someone without manic energy could actually devote this much time to developing his/her "brand" through blogging about the passion etc. while still holding on to day job, but otherwise the advice was unusually level-headed.

there's a fair share of "go for it; live the d...more
James
Johnathan Fields does an excellent job of putting forward a very common feeling of despair and powerlessness that many feel in their jobs and transforming those feelings into practical steps for getting out of the job you hate and taking control of your life pretty much any way that you see fit.

Seriously, don't read this if you don't want to quit your job, because you will probably quit after reading it.
Tom Bentley
You'd better invest in PostIt notes before you read this book--you'll need 'em. This is no cheerleader's and pom-poms "You can do it dearie" book; Career Renegade is a work chockablock full of PRACTICAL steps and real tools to assess your entrepreneurial potentials, definitively gauge where your product, concept or service might fit and flourish in the marketplace, and implement a cascade of methods to turn your passion into a lucrative pursuit.

The book, in exceptionally accessible language and...more
Tucker
Apr 26, 2014 Tucker rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tucker by: Craig Gurchinoff
Shelves: finished
Instruction to follow your passion, but also to be aware of whether there is a market for what you are selling, so that you don't follow your passion into poverty. Advice to "exploit gaps", i.e. to invent what doesn't exist yet, but not to create something so foreign that there is no market for it whatsoever.
Bill Seitz
Decent inspiration by showing lots of examples of how people have "monetized their passion". But the how-to bits are rather slim/generic. Inspirational, but not very tactical/actionable. Also, I have found that the vast majority of these LifeStyleDesign-ers make rather meager earnings, and this book didn't give any details that would counter that concern, or even give a sense of how long it takes to build a non-trivial revenue stream...
Erin
Jonathan's book is the go-to book for anyone trying to find a career to love. This book is full of real-world advice with very specific suggestions for actions. If you want a touchy-feely emotional b-s book, don't pick up this one. This is a business book, but in language for the average reader. I give it a solid five stars.
Moxie
I picked up this book on a whim after reading a couple guest posts by this author on one of my favorite blogs, ZenHabits.net, but then avoided reading it for awhile, fearing it was just another one of those books that claim to hand you the American Dream of making money while doing what you love while delivering the same old tired, worn out, unrealistic advice.

But I finally picked it up and read it in about two days and was pleasantly surprised to find that I was wrong.

Fields does a very good...more
Othon Leon
I simply loved this book. Actually I read it in little more than 24 hours because I could't stop reading. Jonathan Fields explains the alternative ways in which today's technology facilitates the way into a completely new way of doing business... I mean, your own business! He also details the importance of not scarifying your life to someone else's ways or purposes but to fulfil yours by taking the risks, natural, that come with perhaps the most important decision one can take in life: assuming...more
earthy
This book is less about profiting from your passion and more about using internet marketing to promote your activities. Useful, practical info, but not quite what's advertised on the cover. If you're already squared away on what you want to do and how you want to do it, this book will help you set yourself up in the world of the interwebs; but if you're still exploring possibilities and trying to figure out how to monetize things, there's less help for you here. Info worth having in your arsenal...more
Adr
I don't really know if this book hit home with me before this quote on the final page:
I cannot conduct the balance of my life in a vacuum of inevitable regret. I cannot imagine the sorrow of leaving this Earth one day filled with visions of a life I dreamed of living but never had the will to try.

If I didn't feel so sick to my stomach about how I have been frittering away my existence, I may have been inspired to make a change immediately. There are good ideas in this book, but many of them wil...more
Missy
Growing up, all I was supposed to do was find a good job with a "real" company, and everything else would take care of itself. (Hey, at least I wasn't expected to just marry somebody with those qualifications and let *him* take care of me, so there's at least that...)

Of course, that's not exactly how the world works these days, or at least my part of it, which is fine by me, but there's still that nagging voice in the very back of my head that won't shut up. This book definitely helps with that,...more
Mary Louise
My dear friend, Jonathan Fields, wrote this book, so I got an advanced copy. Starving artist? Think again. A lovey Valentine for those of us who are wondering how and when to make the next move during this financial crisis. Do not despair, you can keep your passion and eat cake too. There's no fluffy, psycho-babble here. This book is chock full of solid, practical, renegade ways to make a living doing what you love. This author questions the accuracy of "Do what you love and the money will follo...more
Patti Pokorchak
LOVE this book! Well written and research by a guy who's reinvented himself from a NY lawyer to running fitness and yoga studios. He's been there, done it and seems quite obsessed with learning everything there is to know about running a successful profitable business.

He delves deeply into finding your profitable niche, then marketing the heck out of it. Highly recommend for anyone starting a new business.
Chris
Good book. A super easy read. As someone who is not completely enamored with what I do for a living I am always seeking advice on how to best change my course from a variety of sources.

This book provides a basic frame work on which one can build their own new career. The author describes his own journey with snipits of interviews with other individuals who have undertaken similar journeys themselves. It has opened up a few new ideas and paths which I can explore and perhaps make it possible for...more
Christy
Jan 23, 2011 Christy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to remember the other authers DeMille recommends to accompany this book:

"I think the book could be significantly improved by including more traditional ideas and suggestions for entrepreneurs. Perhaps the author felt that these are covered adequately in other books. But anyone reading this should certainly also read the excellent writings of Wallace Wattles, Geoffrey Moore, Jim Collins, Warren Bennis, Guy Kawasaki, Steve Farber, Ken Blanchard, Brady and Woodward, and Seth Godin. "
Kara
Seemed a bit basic in some parts. Not as inspiring as Tribes: We Need You to Lead Us or The 4-Hour Work Week: Escape 9-5 Live Anywhere and Join the New Rich. Great for the entrepreneur just getting started.
Reed
This was hanging around the house, and before adding it to the pile of books I donate to the local library for its annual book sale, I decided to skim it and see if was worth keeping (always wondering if someday I'll actually become a "career renegade"). Much more practical than most books of its ilk, and totally tuned to the reality of the technological base involved in exploring, building, nurturing, marketing, blah, blah, blah. I am so glad I'm past this stage of my life...
Joy
I did really enjoy this book but found that too much of it was dedicated to telling you how to market your services on-line. The emphasis there was appropriate, but would better be covered by simply referring the reader to on-line information that can be kept updated, as the internet changes so quickly. I did appreciate the focus on how to not only do what you love but also take steps to get the support of loved ones and take the steps necessary to make the venture profitable.
texast
Forgettable.

I picked up this book from the library today after someone recommended it to me only to discover that I've already read it! Since I am active online (blogging, social networks) and am a marketer by trade, I just didn't feel I learned much from this book. I already subscribe to a ton of productivity, marketing and entrepreneur blogs, so I guess I'm burned out on this type of content.

I think it would be useful to some people, just not me.
Patricia
Apr 02, 2011 Patricia marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-read
An impulse grab at the library that I dipped into. This is written by a guy who was a lawyer who liked personal training and quit his job to open a fancy gym where he made a lot of money. Then he sold that and managed to make a bunch of money from yoga. His theme seems to be "don't think like everyone else, think big." I wasn't in the mood to think that big, so I gave the book back. Perhaps I'll pick it up again when I'm feeling bigger.
Alex
I don't know what it is but I have an addiction to all these books about business and lifestyle design, I can't help it. I picked up a used copy of Career Renegade for a dollar at my local bookstore. It's a solid guide to entrepreneurship with some interesting stories and a lot of good advice. However, the sections on social media are both outdated and not particularly innovative which is why I'm only giving the book 3 stars.
Nick
This is a quick read that is definitely written by a blogger. It has some good tools and actual platforms/apps/etc to help you on your journey, so it made it worth it to read, but most of the book was not new information to me - and I've only been in the blog world for a year or so. Fields is someone that definitely knows what he's doing though, and I would love to meet him and pick his brain.

Rexawilliams
I'm a loyal corporate man, but this book really tempts me to run my own business. He gives real practical methods and authentic resources to help you find ways to make money doing things you love to do. The internet provides a whole new world of resources and avenues for doing things differently. And he's not just talking about internet businesses.

I got a free copy from the author, so we're buds.
David
For some reason, I'm always a bit abashed about reading this kind of book. Nevertheless, this caught my eye, and I'm perusing it to help me think about what sort of creative enterprise I may want to pursue in the times ahead. Pretty good, though I confess all these kinds of books seem pretty much the same to me (with the possible exception of Zen and the Art of Making a Living).
Steve
Another business books. If the internet age is the age of the small entrepreneur (which I am not), then this is great resource. Very positive (aren't they all!)with loads and loads of advice and website info on all kinds of topics.
Good advice on how to use blogs, promote them, and link to social media anyway.
Terri
This book was good for inspiration but short on the information that could lead to a plan of action. The stories of people who forged their own career path are good, but I'm looking for a more detailed outline of the steps to take to get from point A to B. A good starting point but not an all-in-one career guide.
Mallie
For the most part this is a very practical guide for people who have a business idea and need the tools and confidence to leave their day job and try out their idea. Very pro-blog. I really loved the little nuggets of wisdom about balancing family and career, following your passion and trusting your instincts.
Christina
Highly recommend this book if you're interested in leaving the traditional 9 to 5 to pursue something more fulfilling. I loved the interesting examples of people who have successfully made the switch. Plus info about how to create and market physical products. Excellent read.
  • Escape from Cubicle Nation: From Corporate Prisoner to Thriving Entrepreneur
  • Do More Great Work: Stop the Busywork. Start the Work That Matters.
  • Overachievement: The New Science of Working Less to Accomplish More
  • The Education of Millionaires: It's Not What You Think and It's Not Too Late
  • The Career Guide for Creative and Unconventional People
  • One Person/Multiple Careers: A New Model for Work/Life Success
  • The Referral Engine: Teaching Your Business to Market Itself
  • The Smartest Investment Book You'll Ever Read: The Simple, Stress-Free Way to Reach Your Investment Goals
  • The Joy of Simple Living: Over 1,500 Simple Ways to Make Your Life Easy and Content-- At Home and At Work
  • Free Agent Nation: The Future of Working for Yourself
  • Self-Promotion for Introverts: The Quiet Guide to Getting Ahead
  • Co-Opetition
  • The Luck Factor: Changing Your Luck, Changing Your Life - The Four  Essential Principles
  • iBrain: Surviving the Technological Alteration of the Modern Mind
  • It's Not about the Money: Unlock Your Money Type to Achieve Spiritual and Financial Abundance
  • The Click Moment: Seizing Opportunity in an Unpredictable World
  • You, Inc.: The Art of Selling Yourself
  • 10-10-10: A Life-Transforming Idea
Uncertainty: Turning Fear and Doubt into Fuel for Brilliance The Long Hard Fix: Create the Critical Mindset That Powers Diet & Exercise Success Art, Inc. (Sneak Preview): The Essential Guide for Building Your Career as an Artist