Start by marking “The Witness of Combines” as Want to Read:
The Witness of Combines

The Witness of Combines

When Kent Meyers's father died of a stroke, there was corn to plant, cattle to feed, and a farm to maintain. Here, in a fresh and vibrant voice, Meyers recounts the wake of his father's death when he was sixteen and reflects on families, farms, and rural life in the Midwest.Meyers tells the story of his life on the farm, from the joys of playing in the hayloft as a boy to ...more
Published August 15th 1998 by Univ Of Minnesota Press (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Witness of Combines, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Witness of Combines

TK421
Apr 11, 2012 TK421 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: essays-auto-bio
I have the current pleasure and privilege to be under the tutelage of Kent Meyers. He is helping me rewrite my book. I'm not surprised if you haven't heard of him...yet, that is. Before long, he will be discussed, openly in the classroom, quietly in the bookstore between patrons wondering who is this man, where did he come from?

If you haven't experienced Kent Meyers, take this opportunity now to find some of his earlier works. His command of language is mind-boggling in its simplicity. He seems
Jan
Jun 28, 2011 Jan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-bought
Having grown up on a small farm and having Grandparents and other relatives with farms made this book a very interesting read for me. Kent captures the farm life and reflects on what you learn from having grown up on one. The ending reminded me of going to Grandma and Grandpa's farm to see what the new owners had done to it. What surprised me was the author is just a year younger than me so we were both on farms at the same time but his was bigger and the only thing sustaining his family that ha ...more
Mammacass1731
May 04, 2012 Mammacass1731 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful! Each chapter is another adventure of life on the farm with such respect for the land, the environment and the family. I was inspired to live a more thoughtful life.
Ori Fienberg
Apr 30, 2007 Ori Fienberg rated it it was amazing
Meyers has created a stunningly beautiful portrait of farm life. I blazed through the whole thing in about 90 minutes. Granted, I read pretty fast, but I think it would be a pleasant, easy read for nearly anyone. It has the same sort of rhythmic appeal as a book like My Side of the Mountain, but with the lyrical complexity and originality of more heavy duty essayists. For precocious 6th graders and up.
Jul 28, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
A collection of thought-provoking essays on the author's childhood and teen years on a small farm in Minnesota, with relatable themes, including connection to the land, responsibility to the natural world, and the importance of community. I would love to use some of these in my comp classes ... just trying to decide if the non-farm kids could handle the descriptions of killing chickens and such!
Kerry
Nov 24, 2012 Kerry rated it really liked it
A series of essays creating a memoir of sorts. It makes one yearn for the simpler times of childhood when there were fewer plastic toys/video games and more outdoor play and imagination. He writes of good parenting, strong values, and the poignant aspects of growing up and losing a parent.
John
Jan 16, 2012 John rated it really liked it
Just a great book of essays, with personal appeal to me as they tell of a boy growing up near where I'm from. Like many essay collections, it might be more fun to read a few at a time in between other reading, but I read it start to finish and ate it up.
Karen
Feb 11, 2010 Karen rated it really liked it
Meyers essays are a celebration of a childhood spent on the land; written with purpose and a touch of poetry.
Kendra Meyers klemme
May 12, 2014 Kendra Meyers klemme rated it it was amazing
This is about my family! I don't have any choice but to love it, but it is also poignant and beautifully written.
Shannon
Jan 26, 2008 Shannon rated it really liked it
Brought back strong memories of growing up in rural Minnesota and the culture of pitching in to help tend fields when a neighbor experienced illness or death. His portrayal is very accurate.
Abigail (Abbe)
Aug 19, 2008 Abigail (Abbe) rated it it was amazing
most wonderful memoir i have ever read.
Jeanne
Oct 22, 2014 Jeanne rated it really liked it
Finished reading this as I was flying into Minneapolis and over the land he writes about. Beautiful language, beautiful imagery. Makes me miss my farmer brother. Favorite line: "It never happened, but the dream was good."
Malia Jones
Jun 09, 2011 Malia Jones rated it really liked it
This book brought back many memories of growing up on a small farm. It was tedious at times, but I am glad I read it.
Nina
Aug 07, 2011 Nina rated it liked it
Very writerly, I must say. These essays are polished to shine, but they're a bit too shiny and bright. It's hard to get to the depth, though some of the essays toward the end accomplish this better.
Rachel
May 17, 2014 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club
Good reminder of simpler times.
Ryan
Ryan rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2014
Harry Oldmeadow
Harry Oldmeadow rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2017
Valerie
Valerie rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2014
Monica Burgess
Monica Burgess rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2015
Gail
Gail rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2013
Char
Char rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2007
Aaron Fuller
Aaron Fuller rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2013
Cassidy
Cassidy rated it liked it
May 09, 2011
Jennifer rated it it was ok
Oct 06, 2012
Katherine Briccetti
Katherine Briccetti rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2014
Kristen
Kristen rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2009
Ryan
Ryan rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2016
Kim Karpeles
Kim Karpeles rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Jenny
Jenny rated it liked it
May 15, 2013
Nonnie
Nonnie rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2014