Start by marking “Harmony: A New Way of Looking at Our World” as Want to Read:
Harmony: A New Way of Looking at Our World

Harmony: A New Way of Looking at Our World

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  132 ratings  ·  35 reviews
For the first time, HRH The Prince of Wales shares his views on how our most pressing modern challenges—from climate change to poverty—are rooted in mankind's disharmony with nature, presenting a compelling case that the solution lies in our ability to regain a balance with the world around us

With its holistic approach, this provocative and well-reasoned book takes the dis
Published November 2nd 2010 by Harper (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Harmony, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harmony

Michael
I enjoyed this book and I think the message and content is more than important. The message of the future King of England is critical to the survival of human beings. Al Gore in his book 'An Inconvenient Truth' warned about our human activities harming the earth. I think our activities will temporarily disrupt the earth, but the planet will heal itself of our damage and it will survive until our sun dies.

In 'Harmony' H.R.H. Prince Charles informs us why and how we, and especially the business wo
Nick
There are a few harsh reviews of this book which I think are mostly unfair. I listened to the audiobook version which is read by HRH himself. As such it comes across more a series of talks. I could see why some might wish the printed version were better edited as the way the arguments flow isn’t always as ordered as it could be. But what does come across in hearing it read is that this is a man that genuinely cares about human beings living a harmonious existence with each other and nature.

Let’
James Mecklenberg
This book starts slowly but introduces amazing concepts and ideas. HRH touches on important foundations regarding our disconnection with nature and our past connection with a more natural way of living, which is something I agree with and he puts it brilliantly. I found this book difficult to put down as I was constantly stimulated with new concepts and information that are not mainstream. I thoroughly recommend this book to everyone especially those that feel there is a better was for us to mov ...more
Greta
Frankly, I'm impressed. I had heard that Prince Charles was into architecture, city planning, gardening and was against GMOs, but I had no idea that he was such a forward-thinking advocate for the preservation of Nature, a turning towards Harmony in how we think and act and what we create, and a sort of Revolutionary calling us to join him in his attempt to save what's left of the planet. This book incited my rage, sadness, a feeling of helplessness and an overwhelming desire to rail at the inju ...more
Mary
I had to read this book in chunks, not because it was boring but because it was so insightful -- I needed to let what HRH was saying simmer a bit within my head. The seven basic chapters (Harmony, Nature, Golden Thread, Age of Disconnection, Renaissance, Foundations and Relationship) cite the mess we're living in, why we're in this mess, the history of the mess and how we can get ourselves out of the mess.

HRH: "Science can tell us how things work, but it is not equipped to tell us what they mean
Bastou
A very interesting and different approach to what we should do as a society to avoid major problems coming...
HRH the Prince of Wales relates the way ancient societies like the antique Egypt and Greece and others were connected to nature and natural patterns and lived their lives according to those principles. He then explains how we lost that along the way to become a mechanistic and materialistic society. He then gives examples of what could be done.
Having read many books on sustainability, the
Catherine Thompson
As a culture, Western civilization has been pillaging Nature with increasing virulence for the last 400 years or so. Science and technology, while not bad in and of themselves, are increasingly seen as a means to an end. We clear and burn rainforests at an extraordinary rate, releasing tonnes of CO2 into the atmosphere and reducing the planet's ability to restore the balance. Monoculture farming degrades the soil, leading to increased use of chemical fertilizers.

HRH the Prince of Wales has spent
Meg - A Bookish Affair
This is a lofty book with lofty ideas. Are they all bad ideas? Definitely not. I think most of us can agree that on our current trajectory as earthlings with regard to how we treat the earth, we're going to be in trouble. We face a lot of issues: pollutions, limited resources, unplanned growth, etc. Prince Charles tries to tackle a lot of these issues in this book and while there are some very good sections (the architecture and urban design sections were particularly interesting to me), much of ...more
Leslie Englehart
"well argued philosophy for survival"
Would you listen to Harmony again? Why?
I almost certainly will, because it is a reminder of the philosophical underpinnings for my 20 year striving to live a sustainable life and respect the Earth and all her creatures.

What did you like best about this story?
As well as articulating a philosophy for the survival of the Earth and our species and others, I appreciated the descriptions of the various educational and environmental initiatives that so many people a
Jason
After reading more than half of this book, I finally decided I didn't want to waste anymore time reading something I was not enjoying. I was excited to read this book because of it's author, but this is just not written well. It seems to ramble on without getting to the point. Some really random stuff about shapes and perfect angles. Really not at all what I was expecting. Also, unrelated to the content of the book: it's super heavy, making it difficult to hold for long periods. It seems to me t ...more
Sylvie
I never thought much of The Prince of Wales. I do now. This man rocks!

I knew that Prince Charles has a strong dislike for modern architecture and that he is ridiculed for his statements on the subject. I didn't know, however, that he was a great environmentalist! Holy Moly!

I liked this book very much. Now that I've read this book, I feel that I have developed a stronger appreciation for nature, good architecture, good living practices, and so much more.

I hope you'll read it, and more importantly
Mary Koehler
Currently "listening" to this book. I began it as a Vanity Fair podcast & was instantly intrigued. Who knew Prince Charles was so thoughtful? I admit wholly I have only begun the somewhat tedious process of wading through his prose. But I am delighted to hear any world leader speak with so much awe & respect for nature. If only more people could slow down & be still. Or course it help to be a royal for sure.
Sam Torode
I picked this up out of curiosity, and was quickly drawn in...it's well-written, wide-ranging, and beautifully designed and illustrated. Within a few pages, for example, there are insights on the importance of bee colonies, why GDP is a bad way to measure a nation's health, and how ancient architecture was inspired by the movements of the stars.
Hywel Owen
This book will make you into a Republican.

Whilst Prince Charles is to be congratulated on his model village of Poundbury, which is a great example of how to implement sustainable and human-centred architecture, this book is the *exact* opposite. 'Harmony' is the worst kind of trite, new-age, vague nonsense, and has no place in any serious discussion of sustainability. However, its misleading views of science will probably sell well with the hippie middle-class crowd who've never had to live in a
Jonathan
Tentatively, I award this volume 4 of 5 stars. It is a vast collection of information pertaining to the detrimental effects of our culture of convenience upon the planet and various insights, examples and suggestions of ways to offset and undo the damage we've caused - none of it particularly original, but still worthy of our consideration - the problem I have with the text is its author.

I have nothing against HRH Prince Charles and commend his work in organic agriculture, conservation and tradi
Russell Turner
I would never call myself an environmentalist by any stretch (I work in motorsport for Christ's sake) but the underlying message of this book really touched me. I have always considered my self as environmentally aware but this book not only exposed just how little I knew, but what an incredible depth of knowledge The Prince of Wales has.
The way this is written does come across as what can only be described as a rambling rant, and is written in a manner that I have never come across before whic
Paul Fadoju
Jan 14, 2011 Paul Fadoju is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
What are the Queen's thought about life? Who are the sages, politicians or philosophers that she holds in high esteem. What are her Political Affiliations or leanings....All these are mystery to us the so called subjects. So her Son has broken protocol and put his name to a view he cherishes.

I will like to see his alternative view that he is recommending to see the world, maybe we can have a peek into the family world view and garner a gem of wisdom
Deyara
3.5 stars. I liked some of the ideas and enjoyed getting to know a bit more about what he believes in, but found it quite hard to stay focused - too many rambly tangents made me skip past things and have to back-track. Also, some of the ideas seemed a little hokey, more description of his pet-projects than actual discussion. Still, it is good to see people taking an interest in environmental issues, especially those with influence.
Jenny Housley
I am really enjoying this book although it is rather heavy to hold and now I have an IPad I wish I had purchased it as an ebook. Of course I am a big fan of HRH and his wide ranging interests and I could listen to him all day on any subject and he does cover a lot of interests. I think this book helps you understand the man as well as giving you something to think about concerning the world we live in. Lovely photos as well.
Nanchez
Never knew Prince Charles had this deep, abiding concern with nature/earth's dwindling natural resources/preservation. Very nice overview of history weaved in with his opinions. Prince Charles uses a conversational style of writing that makes you feel that he is talking to you and anticipating your questions as you read.
Rebecca
The information presented here is not new material, but HRH Prince Charles eloquently discusses these topics seriously, respectfully, and with the assumption that we can, together, do something to fix these social-environmental problems, to restore harmony with earth and humanity. EVERYONE should read this book.
Cathy Thompson
Very Inspirational.. and I am a fan of the Monarchy anyway... But it has inspired me to create
the greatest garden this spring... I can think of a few people who would really enjoy this book
(Tracy T) ... he also has a book on elements of organic gardening, and a book (also Harmony)
for children, 4-8,
Lisa
I really really wanted to love this book because the topic is so important but I didn't love it. There was a lot of great information which was very important but I felt like it could have been trimmed down a bit.
Liz Neves
So far, I'm liking where this is going, but considering the subject and urgent tone, this book should be printed on recycled or FSC certified paper with vegetable-based inks.
Sandy
I am currently reading this book. This book contains information we all know is true, most people want to ignore and is certainly scary when read.
Joshua
Really enjoyed it. There was a chapter or two that I thought were dragged on longer than necessary, but overall I liked it a lot.
Laine
Philosophical environmentalism, this guy's a smarty pants.
Rachel
May 16, 2011 Rachel rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
A worthwhile tho difficult read at times.
Kathryn
Great photography, and some interesting ideas.
Jamie
  • The Mangrove Tree: Planting Trees to Feed Families
  • One Beetle Too Many: The Extraordinary Adventures of Charles Darwin
  • Lemons and Lavender: The Eco Guide to Better Homekeeping
  • How Precious Was That While
  • There's Lead in Your Lipstick: Toxins in Our Everyday Body Care and How to Avoid Them
  • Queen Victoria
  • The Rejected Stone: Al Sharpton and the Path to American Leadership
  • Rocks in His Head
  • Japanese Prints
  • Life List: A Woman's Quest for the World's Most Amazing Birds
The Prince's Speech: On the Future of Food The Garden At Highgrove The Elements of Organic Gardening: Highgrove, Clarence House, Birkhall The Old Man of Lochnagar A Vision of Britain