Start by marking “Running Hot (EMS Heat, #1)” as Want to Read:
Running Hot (EMS Heat, #1)

Running Hot (EMS Heat #1)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  948 ratings  ·  82 reviews
A thrill of excitement always went through paramedic James Willson whenever he transported a patient to St. Michael’s hospital, but it had nothing to do with the rush of the job. It was one of the emergency department doctors that set his heart racing—the very sexy, very aloof Calvin Dane.
Published January 2010 by Extasy Books

To ask other readers questions about Running Hot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Running Hot

Hot Head by Damon SuedeCollision Course by K.A. Mitchell911 by Chris OwenKeeping Promise Rock by Amy LaneWith Caution by J.L. Langley
Best Gay Firemen/Paramedics/EMTs
16th out of 131 books — 283 voters
Cut & Run by Abigail RouxFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsPromises by Marie SextonA Matter of Time by Mary CalmesFatal Shadows by Josh Lanyon
M/M Romance Series
44th out of 451 books — 402 voters

More lists with this book...

Posted at Hearts on Fire Reviews

For months, paramedic James Wilson and cool, professional emergency room doctor Calvin Dane have admired each other from a distance, but busy jobs and a fear of rejection prevent the men from taking that next step. Nurse Janet, close friend and confidante of Calvin’s, is determined to see the men get together.

A grope session in the back of an ambulance and a night out at a bar soon alter both men’s lives. Though there are many doubts that things could possibly wo
Stephani Hecht’s EMS-themed novella Running Hot is… well… scorching hot.

Shy paramedic James Wilson has been crushing on the sexy Dr. Calvin Dane since the instant their eyes first met across the crowded emergency room at St. Michael’s Hospital. James wants to get to know Calvin better, but the good doctor’s coolly professional manner has James afraid that the feelings he’s experiencing aren’t mutual. Little does he realize that Calvin’s been eyeing him for months like Ben & Jerry’s just ann
This book was okay, a little short but the plot worked it way along and the characters were likable. My biggest complaint (as it usually is) was the editing. How a book gets out there with such bad typos, the completely wrong words & such dreadful punctuation is a mystery - it really detracts me from the story.
3.5 Stars

I like Stephani Hecht's stories (e.g., the Lost Shifter series). My only gripe, generally, is the length of her books. This book was no exception. I enjoyed both James and Calvin. I liked their cautious flirtation and watching their attraction build. But the story ended so abruptly. I would have liked reading more about their budding relationship. Instead we went from "okay, let's give this a try" to the epilogue wherein they're living together. That's 1/2 a book that happened off page,
Trisha Harrington
This was a short but really sweet story. James and Calvin were both very likable characters. They had amazing chemistry and were very cute together. They both had crushes on the other person and there were a couple of issues. But overall it was a nice sweet read. I highly recommend this book :)
great feel good read!

sexy and very sincere MC's. lots of attraction, a touch of humor, a little bit of drama and paced very well for a short story.

a definite must read when you want 2 hours of good writing with sexy hot men with a happy ending.... umm, no pun.. i swear!

Short and sweet with a hot doctor and hot medic.
Mar 03, 2013 Sas rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: mm
Fave Quote: '"Let's just say I have it bad for a certain medic. Must be the uniform."'

- Storyline - 3/10
- Ending - 10/10
- Ridiculousness - 4/10
- Annoying the shit out of me factor - 2/10
- This book described in one word/phrase - Short but sweet

So this was a really short, simple read that took me about an hour to get through. I
James Willson is an EMT who is interested in a hot, aloof doctor, Calvin Dane. Calvin likewise finds himself drawn to the gorgeous and friendly EMT. When they finally get a chance to meet, sparks fly.

This was a short, sweet story. Emphasis on the short. I'm not sure why books are so short, I'd rather have 4 well-developed books in a series than 10 short and not as developed book.

I did enjoy this read because James and Calvin are both sexy and exciting, but you barely get to know these two men
This is the first in St. Michael's series -- and I kinda doing it backwards since I read book #3 and #2 first. The good thing is I am already familiar with Calvin and his lover, James. The "bad" thing is, because of that, I want their story to be a little more detailed. This one feels a little bit too rushed and abruptly finished for me. I still enjoy it though especially because I love Ms. Hecht's writing.
Nice and sweet short story. Both characters're very likeable and the plot was rather simple, but enjoyable. Light and easy read!
Feb 13, 2010 Tam rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
James is an ambulance driver who’s had a crush on ER Dr. Calvin for a while but Calvin never seems to show any interest. Meanwhile Calvin’s been crushing on James and Calvin’s friend, a nurse, finally makes him do something about it. He goes out to talk to James in the ambulance and make a pretty ballsy move then can’t believe he did it. His friend convinces him to come to the bar with her as she knows James will be there so he can try again. He does and things go great, James goes home with him ...more
Nanee Mcgee
something about this short that you can read and the re read again and Again. M/M not usually my read but was drawn to it and it did not disappoint. Calvin Dane Doctor and James Willson EMT both have a thing for each other but both are trying to hide their feelings. Brought together in a situation that they can't hide their feelings. Hot hot hot sex, very emotional love story with insecurities, hope, longing brings together a couple destined to be together. Love it, Love it. Recommend highly gre ...more

What an amazing book. Hot, sexy, sweet and the whole package what makes this an awesome m/m.

This book is so well written and so much put in in 46 pages. I am not a big fan of short stories but i loved this one.

Many thanks to my dear friend for borrow me her kindle to read this series but they are a must read. I will def get this to have it in my own books.

If you like m/m you need to read this book and i am sure the rest of this series will be as good as this one.

This was a quick read. James is an EMT and Calvin is an ER doctor. After months of lusting after each other they finally admit their attraction to each other and do something about it.

Really no surprises. The writing is at times really simplistic and there was an odd bit of drama added in the last 3 pages that really didn't seem to serve any purpose, but really this is a short burst of sexy...
Becky Condit
2 1/2 stars
This is a story with a lot of potential but unfortunately it fell a little short for me because of the cluelessness of the MCs. Since this is the first book in a series I’m hoping the next book will be more than an introduction and will be a full-on story with characters who know what they are doing and an integrated plot that isn’t quite so segmented.
First of all - and most important - I definitly liked the setting. Hot paramedics and doctors are always nice to read about! ^^ I enjoyed reading about James and I felt closer to him during this story. Calvin on the other side stayed somewhat unaproachable. However, this was a very hot read and a nice beginning for a long series of shorts! 3 stars!
Serena Yates
I liked this story about James, a paramedic, and Calvin, a doctor. They've both been secretly admiring the other and it takes a "meddling" nurse to get Calvin to make the first move. It takes James a while to believe Calvin is really interested in him, but when he does, sparks fly.
3.5 Stars

This started out and ended up a nice, easy, fast read. The supporting characters were likable, with the exception of one nurse, the MC's were EMT and a Doctor, what's not too like there, it's a short good pick me up.
I really enjoyed this easy sexy read. A satisfying story that is sure to please fans of M/M romance.

My complete review is posted at Rainbow Reviews
Katy Beth Mckee
I really liked what I read. It was was well written and was really drawing me in. But I ended up giving it only 3 stars because I felt like the end was rushed and abrupt. I would have liked more.
Jane (PS)
A sweet short story of love between an EMT and doctor.
My review cross-posted from Joyfully Reviewed:

Paramedic James has desired Calvin from the moment the sexy doctor started working at St. Michael’s hospital, but Calvin has never noticed him…or so he thinks. To James’s shock, Calvin’s been lusting after him for just as long, only he didn’t know James was interested. It doesn’t take much for the sparks between them to turn into red-hot flames, but James is wary of putting his heart on the line. After all, ho
The EMS Heat Series by Stephanie Hecht

I’m reviewing this entire series in one go because they all have similar themes. Each book is short and sweet – little bite-sized stories when you want to pick up something quick to read (I read each one in one sitting).

This is one of those series (previously called St Michael’s) that centres on a group of men who work in emergency services. It is a glorious combination of EMTs, firemen, nurses, doctors…

Each book is relatively short (<100 pages) and make
Anna Goerlitz
2-2,5 stars.

Had originally given it three stars, as it was a quick enjoyable read - although the story was way too rushed for my liking. And the doctor MC annoyed me.

Have dropped it though, as two days later I cannot for the life of me remember anything about this story. Except the two abovementioned things. That is a very bad trait in my opinion, for a story to be that easily forgotten.

4 Pinky Stars!
No, no, no.

If you're going to write a book where the characters start proclaiming their love and that they can never be parted from the other after only spending one night together, and not even a full night at that, then the book sure as hell better be longer than 77 pages because otherwise the book just looks ridiculous.

This was a nice short story! I liked that the characters had been attracted to each other long before we joined the story; that way we could dive right in without having "insta-love."

I will definitely keep reading this series.
3.5 stars. Felt rushed in certain sections. But I liked the dynamic between James and Calvin!
this was the first book i read from this author and i absolutely love it... I love this series too!
  • Texas Hold 'Em (Poker Night, #1)
  • Keeping House (Truth or Dare #1)
  • Identity Crisis
  • Breathe Me In (Tales of the Darkworld, #6.5)
  • True North (Lost Boys and Love Letters, #1)
  • Fire on the Mountain (Mountain, #1)
  • Only His Heart (Only Forever #3)
  • 911 (911, #1)
  • Alternative Treatment
  • Heat (Firefighters, #1)
  • Aidan and Ethan (Seeking Redemption, #1)
  • Handcuffs and Leather (Rawlings Men #1)
  • Cover Me (Cover Me, #1)
  • Calvin's Cowboy (Calvin's Cowboy #1)
  • Burnin' for You (Burnin' for You, #1)
  • The Crystal Warrior (Crystal Warriors, #1)
  • The Battle Lord's Lady (Battle Lord Saga, #1)
  • Beneath the Neon Moon
Stephani Hecht is a happily married mother of two. Born and raised in Michigan, she loves all things about the state, from the frigid winters to the Detroit Red Wings hockey team. Go Wings! You can usually find her snuggled up to her laptop, creating her next book or gorging on caffeine at her favorite coffee shop.

When she’s not running around like crazy, trying to get her kids to their various ac
More about Stephani Hecht...

EMS Heat (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Man Down (EMS Heat, #2)
  • Lights and Sirens (EMS Heat, #3)
  • Priority One (EMS Heat, #4)
  • Code Blue (EMS Heat, #5)
  • Red Lights and Silver Bells (EMS Heat, #6)
  • High Flow (EMS Heat, #7)
  • Three-Alarm Fire (EMS Heat, #8)
  • Shades of the Past (EMS Heat, #9)
  • In His Hero's Shadow (EMS Heat, #10)
  • Life Over Limb (EMS Heat, #11)