Start by marking “Kittens In The Kitchen” as Want to Read:
Kittens In The Kitchen

Kittens In The Kitchen (Animal Ark [GB Order] #1)

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,658 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
When a stray cat gives birth to kittens in Mr. Williams' kitchen, he is furious. Can Mandy find homes for four kittens in one week?.
Published (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Kittens In The Kitchen, please sign up.

Jessica I think Animal Ark is the original and Animal Ark Pets and Haunting are newer.

Lily
Oh my gosh, I used to love the Animal Ark series as a kid! Because of my strong love for animals, these books made me want to be a veterinarian when I grew up.(Along with the television show, Zoboomafoo. LOL.) Good times!!! Mandy, the main character did drive me a little nuts as a kid, but I really loved all the different animal stories, and how Mandy could help and save them. It was SUPER SAD whenever an animal actually died...! But it really goes to show that real life is just like that too.

I
Rachel
Animal Ark was the first series that I actually waited for books to come out in. I would run to the library to the spot where these books were held and peruse the titles over and over, looking for a new one. I read every book there was until I was probably way too old to be reading them! Actually I read these books to the point where I was just reading them to say that I'd read them all. I read Animal Ark, Animal Ark Pets, and a couple of the Animal Ark Hauntings (they scared me too much). Event ...more
Ash
Jun 18, 2013 Ash rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood-reads
I read this series when I was younger. My grandmother bought the entire set (that had been published at the time) and gave them to my cousin; who hated them. She loaned the set to me and I read, and re-read, them all. I loved these stories, and even now when I stumble across one I haven't read I'll sit down and read it. They are a little cheesy from the adult perspective, but as a eight-twelve year old girl I couldn't get enough of them. I was so angry when my dad made me give the books back to ...more
Krissy
Jun 21, 2016 Krissy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**Rated by my daughter**
Dharia Scarab

Myself, I go ou
Cait
Jul 24, 2016 Cait rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wobble2016
Another series from my childhood that I'm revisiting! Nice and nostalgic, very fast read.
Emma Louise
Sep 18, 2012 Emma Louise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood
These books were like crack for ten year old girls back in my day. Everyone in the library used to fight over them.
Laura Verret
Mandy has made a wonderful discovery. Walton, the stray cat that lives at her school, has had kittens! She is keeping them in the home of the caretaker, Williams. Mandy can’t wait to see them!

But sorrow attends their first visit. Mr. Williams, who was previously unaware of the kittens in his home, insists that the kittens be taken away. But they are far too young to be separated from their mother! And where could Mandy find homes for four kittens in a small town like Welford?

Discussion.

Oddly eno
Leggings Are Never Pants
As a middle-grade reader I loved this series. Each book focuses on a different animal and problem to be solved by Mandy, the young daughter of a couple who own and run an animal clinic in England. They are quick and easy to read, show good morals/decision making, and will entice any young animal lover. Great for mid-elementary readers.
Ann-Marie Fleming
Oct 24, 2015 Ann-Marie Fleming rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals
A lovely children's book, perfect for young animal lovers. It's surprisingly well written for a children's book with characters that are fairly interesting.
It loses a star for the amount of spelling and grammar mistakes that should have been picked up in editing.
Anna
Jul 15, 2016 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood
I adored these books as a kid, I completely forgot about them as I got rid of all of my old books a while ago, I was looking up children's books to see if I could find out what it was that I was so obsessed with and I found it!
Dawn Moore
Jun 16, 2015 Dawn Moore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: elementary schoolers
Shelves: favorites
I LOVED these books as a young child, and this was the first one I ever read! The books probably would not have the same effect if I read them now, but what I wouldn't give to go back to that age and read them all!
Alice Foster
Jun 27, 2014 Alice Foster rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved these children books as they were about animals and the lives going on around the animals, sometimes involving rescue which I loved.
Kimberly
Mar 13, 2016 Kimberly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-with-n
Not a favorite of the books I've read with N but he has a soft spot for cats so he enjoyed this kitten story with its happy ending.
Madison
I like the book because it makes you feel as if you are in the story and if the missing kittens actually matter and you feel for them.
MissNYix
One of my favourite books when I was young. It was pretty good when I wasn't allowed to have any animals.
Feather Dust
I loved the Animal Ark books when I was young. Coming across these on Goodreads was a real treat.
Carrie-Anne
Apr 19, 2015 Carrie-Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favourite book series when I was a child. I really wanted to be Mandy.
Alyssa Thunder
Mar 13, 2015 Alyssa Thunder rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great series, absolutely LOVED these books when I was younger.
Jamie Pauline
Apr 18, 2016 Jamie Pauline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Animal Ark books were childhood favorites of mine!
MissNYix
Feb 03, 2016 MissNYix rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favourite books when I was... ten? It's a pretty good read especially when I wasn't allowed to have pets back then.
Violet Garcia
Oct 20, 2015 Violet Garcia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It was also funny.
Jayd
Aug 20, 2012 Jayd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book I ever read when I started middle school.
When I was small I found reading difficult, especially when I had to read aloud. When I moved up to middle school I was really scared that all the books were going to be really difficult and scary.

But this was a heartwarming read, at the time I found it challenging but in a good way. Definitely a great series of books for children.
Alexandra
This book was a sweet book and I really liked it. Mandy, this veternarian's daughter, goes to save these kittens because their mother gives birth on a cranky man's laundry basket. The cranky man threatens to drown them if they aren't adopted by the next week. To find out if Mandy saves them, you have to read this book.
Danielle
I loved this book when I was a child!

Kittens in the Kitchen is a fun children's book that is warming to the heart and simply delightful. Every child should read the Animal Ark series and perhaps adults should to. This book teaches children about caring for animals and loving them - it's such an important message!
Taylor
Jul 08, 2011 Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I grew up reading the Animal Ark Series, which is about Mandy Hope, whose parent's own a veterinary clinic. She and her friend James Hunter always find an animal in need. In Kittens in the Kitchen a stray cat has her kittens in a cranky custodian's kitchen. He gives them a week to find homes for the cats "or else."
Emily
Nov 27, 2013 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: animal lovers especially cats
I love the Animal Ark series and this is one of my favorite books in the series. Mandy Hope is the daughter of the veterinarians and always is finding herself helping out every animal she finds. I enjoy the mystery parts in this book and think that this story is written very well and very well paced.
Rea
This is the first series that I read religiously as a child. I'd go to the book shop and sit in front of the Animal Ark selection, trying to decide which animal I wanted to read about next.

For a long time, all my book vouchers would be used to get more of these books.
Kristine Hansen
Sep 03, 2013 Kristine Hansen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, animals
Finding homes for kittens is always a challenging task. Finding them on a one week deadline is even worse. Mandy races against time to save the kittens, meeting many interesting characters in her town while doing so.

A fun read. I'm glad I discovered this series. :)
Banana
May 13, 2009 Banana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved these books when I was younger - I still do! The main character is the daughter of two Veterinarians, and she helps to save animals in each book. I love animals! I especially love cats. I loved this book. I loved this series. You guys have to read it!
  • Dog at the Door (Animal Ark, #25)
Ben M. Baglio created the brief for two series of children's books - Dolphin Diaries and Animal Ark. Dolphin Diaries features a girl and her family from Florida, who travel around the world as marine biologists and study dolphins. Animal Ark features two children who work together to help animals and solve animal-related mysteries. The books were written by commissioned writers in the UK under Bag ...more
More about Lucy Daniels...

Animal Ark [GB Order] (1 - 10 of 94 books)
  • Pony on the Porch (Animal Ark, #2)
  • Puppies in the Pantry (Animal Ark, #3)
  • Goat in the Garden (Animal Ark, #4)
  • Hedgehogs in the Hall (Animal Ark, #5)
  • Badger in the Basement (Animal Ark #6)
  • Cub in the Cupboard (Animal Ark, #8)
  • Piglet in a Playpen (Animal Ark, #9)
  • Owl in the Office (Animal Ark, #11)
  • Lamb in the Laundry (Animal Ark #12)
  • Bunnies in the Bathroom (Animal Ark, #15)