Start by marking “Cock” as Want to Read:
Cock

Cock

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  134 ratings  ·  18 reviews
When John takes a break from his boyfriend, he accidentally meets the girl of his dreams. Filled with guilt and indecision, he decides there is only one way to straighten this out....

Mike Bartlett's punchy new story takes a playful, candid look at one man's sexuality and the difficulties that arise when you realise you have a choice.

Cock premiered at the Royal Court Theatr
Published 2009 by Bloomsbury Methuen Drama

To ask other readers questions about Cock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cock

Anna Matsuyama
Hugely disappointed.

I know nothing about the author but this play was performed by Ben Whishaw and Andrew Scott, two amazing actors who support GLBT rights and imagine how upset I was when, I personally, found this play homophobic, misogynistic and biphobic.

Also this is labelled as a comedy but again, I did not found it funny.

And lastly as someone in a hybrid relationship, FUCK this play.

Jeremy
Nov 08, 2013 Jeremy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: play
First, I have to confess that I'm not a huge fan of plays, well, reading them anyway. I love seeing them on stage, but have a really hard time reading them. That being said, I listened to a discussion on the Literary Disco podcast of this one and it piqued my curiosity. I loved this play. Basically, it's a play about sexuality. The only named character, John, is in a dilemma. He's fallen in love with a woman, "W", after being in a gay relationship with "M" for about seven years. In the end, ther ...more
Hannah Foulger
Great play! I appreciate the minimalism and the expressive freedom it gives actors/directors to create a show they want to do.
For those that missed the metaphor, J is acting like a cock (a rooster and a dickhead) and is about a cock fight.
It complements Bartlett's other play, Bull, which is about a Bull Fight, also among millennials.
Adam
I'm not sure what relevance the title has on this play other than ticket sales... If we were to name it "Angst" doesn't sound as shocking, does it.
Cute coming-of-age story about John, a twenty-something struggling with his homosexuality/bisexuality. The other characters: his boyfriend, simply named "M"; his girlfriend, "W"; and the boyfriend's father, "F"; hash it out over dinner in a Shakespearean fashion.
A bit on the naming of the characters... John seems to be the everyday man (John Doe), gen
Yolanda
The worst thing about this and any other piece of art is that it has the genre label of comedy yet I didn't laugh. No piece of art should have that label and not live up to it, that is the first no-no.

The second worst thing, which turned out to be just blatantly annoying, is the grammar. No punctuation is used. The issues I had with the grammar made it very difficult to read because Bartlett’s way of writing is very different from what I am used to. I believe this has something to do with this b
Chuck O'Connor
This is an irrelevant and self-indulgent exercise in form. It has no substance. Bartlett draws selfish characters in a nondescript world that is both vague and cliched. It is sad that plays like this get published or produced. The dramatic form deserves more than this.
PrettyLittleBibliophile
Finished it in a little over an hour and a half. Wonderful play. Interesting plot. Really enjoyed it!
Kelly
The second half is where the rubber hits the road. This is an artfully constructed examination of sexuality and choice. Although it is probably most effective if performed in a heartfelt, realistic style, it is written in a way that puts certain aspects of relationships under a microscope in a way that would probably seem utterly unrealistic to most viewers. Still, that's generally how good art operates. I commend Mike Bartlett for writing a genuinely interesting meditation on a somewhat over-ex ...more
Arnoldo
Me puse a escuchar y leer la obra al mismo tiempo lo cual fue una gran experiencia.
Una historia sobre decisiones. Puede ser un poco repetitiva y no tan relevante pero las actuaciones fueron muy buenas lo cual vale la pena, sobretodo Andrew Scott y Ben Whishaw. Puede ser en varios puntos una comedia pero tiene gran mensaje. El personaje M simplemente te saca grandes carcajadas.
Algunas escenas fueron un poco inecesarias lo cual hizo que no la amara. Pero en sí, fue muy buena.
Pgregory
play about sexual indecision.
Matt
Read this one based on a recommendation from the pod cast Literary Disco. I'm giving it 3.5 Stars. It was a well written play and I like literary devices he employs to indicate pauses and overlapping speeches. Not sure it work at the very end, but I would go see this play if someone staged it.
Lynsey
Very interesting play. Occasionally teeters into 'people don't talk like that!' territory, but that could be forgiven when considering the pretensions of the character of M. Some thought provoking considerations about sexuality, and our perceptions of it.
Loni
Feb 13, 2012 Loni rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: plays
Usually don't like plays in this type of format, but the dialogue flowed so naturally and the characters felt very genuine. I could relate. Some of the dialogue rang very true. Really easy to get into.
Robert
On the page it's kind of flat - particularly in the first few sections.

I gave it 3 Stars instead of 2 because I have hope that it'll be incredibly powerful when brought to life.
Nov 22, 2011 Laura rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Laura by: Bettie
From BBc Radio 3:

The Royal Court Theatre production, starring Ben Whishaw.

David Mcshane
Listened to it on sound cloud. Language and pace kept me gripped all summer day.
☯Bettie☯
Mar 06, 2014 ☯Bettie☯ rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Brazilliant Laura
Jessy Heath
Jessy Heath marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Erika
Erika marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Hanna Brager
Hanna Brager marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
T
T marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Jason Millsap
Jason Millsap marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Holycowpig
Holycowpig marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
De'Marcus Monroe
De'Marcus Monroe marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
  • Stop Kiss
  • The Motherfucker With the Hat
  • That Face
  • Frozen
Michael Bartlett is a British playwright. Mike Bartlett was born on 7 October 1980 in Abingdon, Oxford, England. He attended Abingdon School, then studied English and Theatre Studies at the University of Leeds. In October 2013, Mike won Best New Play at The National Theatre Awards for his play Bull, beating plays from both Alan Ayckbourn and Tom Wells.

(source)

More about Mike Bartlett...
Earthquakes in London King Charles III Love, Love, Love Bull Contractions