Start by marking “Cock” as Want to Read:
Cock

Cock

When John takes a break from his boyfriend, he accidentally meets the girl of his dreams. Filled with guilt and indecision, he decides there is only one way to straighten this out....

Mike Bartlett's punchy new story takes a playful, candid look at one man's sexuality and the difficulties that arise when you realise you have a choice.

Cock premiered at the Royal Court Theatr
Published 2009 by Bloomsbury Methuen Drama

To ask other readers questions about Cock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cock

Kenny
Jul 04, 2016 Kenny rated it really liked it
3.5/5. The premise is interesting, and in this time of sexual fluidity becoming more prevalent in society, Cock opens a dialogue that is needed. The problem with Cock is that none of the main characters are very likeable. Bartlett has written a smart, hip play with narcissistic stereotypes -- the bitchy queen who can cook, the brittle, cold, calculating female, the emotionally, indecisive gay boi who needs to grow up and become a man, and the wise, old elder who sets everyone right. We've seen t
Anna Kļaviņa
Dec 24, 2014 Anna Kļaviņa rated it did not like it
Hugely disappointed.

I know nothing about the author but this play was performed by Ben Whishaw and Andrew Scott, two amazing actors who support GLBT rights and imagine how upset I was when, I personally, found this play homophobic, misogynistic and biphobic.

Also this is labelled as a comedy but again, I did not found it funny.

Doug
Jul 17, 2015 Doug rated it it was amazing
Had read this play awhile ago, but reread it as I am going through all of Bartlett's published plays. This is one of his best, and wish I'd been able to see the original UK production starring Ben Whishaw and Andrew Scott. I understand Bartlett's staging directions (he requires no furniture, props or miming of such), so that the play is in essence a 'cock fight', but it seems odd that people continually talk about sitting or drinking or handling objects, and then apparently don't do so. And as t ...more
Steven
Jan 17, 2015 Steven rated it really liked it
Shelves: plays, british
Modern, bizarre, bisexual love story where habit and sarcasm win over romance and hope.
Jeremy
Oct 23, 2013 Jeremy rated it really liked it
Shelves: play
First, I have to confess that I'm not a huge fan of plays, well, reading them anyway. I love seeing them on stage, but have a really hard time reading them. That being said, I listened to a discussion on the Literary Disco podcast of this one and it piqued my curiosity. I loved this play. Basically, it's a play about sexuality. The only named character, John, is in a dilemma. He's fallen in love with a woman, "W", after being in a gay relationship with "M" for about seven years. In the end, ther ...more
Adam
Dec 04, 2013 Adam rated it it was amazing
I'm not sure what relevance the title has on this play other than ticket sales... If we were to name it "Angst" doesn't sound as shocking, does it.
Cute coming-of-age story about John, a twenty-something struggling with his homosexuality/bisexuality. The other characters: his boyfriend, simply named "M"; his girlfriend, "W"; and the boyfriend's father, "F"; hash it out over dinner in a Shakespearean fashion.
A bit on the naming of the characters... John seems to be the everyday man (John Doe), gen
Kelly
Oct 14, 2012 Kelly rated it really liked it
The second half is where the rubber hits the road. This is an artfully constructed examination of sexuality and choice. Although it is probably most effective if performed in a heartfelt, realistic style, it is written in a way that puts certain aspects of relationships under a microscope in a way that would probably seem utterly unrealistic to most viewers. Still, that's generally how good art operates. I commend Mike Bartlett for writing a genuinely interesting meditation on a somewhat over-ex ...more
Hannah Foulger
Sep 18, 2014 Hannah Foulger rated it really liked it
Great play! I appreciate the minimalism and the expressive freedom it gives actors/directors to create a show they want to do.
For those that missed the metaphor, J is acting like a cock (a rooster and a dickhead) and is about a cock fight.
It complements Bartlett's other play, Bull, which is about a Bull Fight, also among millennials.
Loni
Feb 13, 2012 Loni rated it really liked it
Shelves: plays
Usually don't like plays in this type of format, but the dialogue flowed so naturally and the characters felt very genuine. I could relate. Some of the dialogue rang very true. Really easy to get into.
OUTandAbout28
Apr 16, 2014 OUTandAbout28 rated it really liked it
Finished it in a little over an hour and a half. Wonderful play. Interesting plot. Really enjoyed it!
Martin
Aug 05, 2015 Martin rated it it was amazing
A lack of stage directions make for hilarious ambiguity on the first read. Ideally read with your best mate.
Fran
Mar 22, 2016 Fran rated it it was amazing
i read this play because one of my best friends just got cast in it, and it was so good, y'all. very quick synopsis: heretofore gay man must decide between boyfriend and new (female) lover.

only took me a couple of hours to read. was a little tough to hang with at first because i'm not used to reading plays at all... but by 5 pages in i was able to pick up on the writing style and then i just couldn't put it down.

this play is interesting, and beautiful, and great, and heartbreaking, and real, and
Eleanor
Aug 21, 2016 Eleanor rated it it was amazing
I'd probably give a very different review of this if I hadn't listened to the audio of the Royal Court production with Andrew Scott and Ben Whishaw first. I first listened to it because they are my two favourite actors, and I was completely captivated. Their performances are stunning, Ben radiating vulnerability and indecision with the slightest noise as John, and Andrew stealing the show with his utterly unique vibrancy as the sadistic and heartbreaking as M. I'm still overwhelmed by them. And ...more
Yolanda
Sep 08, 2013 Yolanda rated it it was ok
Shelves: plays
The worst thing about this and any other piece of art is that it has the genre label of comedy yet I didn't laugh. No piece of art should have that label and not live up to it, that is the first no-no.

The second worst thing, which turned out to be just blatantly annoying, is the grammar. No punctuation is used. The issues I had with the grammar made it very difficult to read because Bartlett’s way of writing is very different from what I am used to. I believe this has something to do with this b
Hoong
Nov 27, 2015 Hoong rated it it was ok
The crass language used liberally in this play is unpleasant. I listened to the BBC radio play which is a recording enacted by my favorite British actors. The message can be communicated in a decorous manner. This isn't the type of play a professor in a Gay Studies class should assign to his or her students. I don't understand how something written in such crass manner could have gained popularity. At least D.H. Lawrence, a British novelist, wrote details about sexuality in a manner that even my ...more
Arnoldo
Jan 27, 2013 Arnoldo rated it really liked it
Me puse a escuchar y leer la obra al mismo tiempo lo cual fue una gran experiencia.
Una historia sobre decisiones. Puede ser un poco repetitiva y no tan relevante pero las actuaciones fueron muy buenas lo cual vale la pena, sobretodo Andrew Scott y Ben Whishaw. Puede ser en varios puntos una comedia pero tiene gran mensaje. El personaje M simplemente te saca grandes carcajadas.
Algunas escenas fueron un poco inecesarias lo cual hizo que no la amara. Pero en sí, fue muy buena.
Lynsey
Jan 25, 2012 Lynsey rated it really liked it
Very interesting play. Occasionally teeters into 'people don't talk like that!' territory, but that could be forgiven when considering the pretensions of the character of M. Some thought provoking considerations about sexuality, and our perceptions of it.
Matt
Dec 21, 2013 Matt rated it liked it
Read this one based on a recommendation from the pod cast Literary Disco. I'm giving it 3.5 Stars. It was a well written play and I like literary devices he employs to indicate pauses and overlapping speeches. Not sure it work at the very end, but I would go see this play if someone staged it.
Jonathan
Jan 06, 2015 Jonathan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
An actor's dream. Endlessly interpretive, dialogically complex, with possibilities for emotional, dramatic climaxes; this play is undeniably one of the best modern play's I've read. It is one I will study, and learn from, as I progress as an artist.
Robert
Mar 14, 2013 Robert rated it really liked it
On the page it's kind of flat - particularly in the first few sections.

I gave it 3 Stars instead of 2 because I have hope that it'll be incredibly powerful when brought to life.

EDITED

It was much better than I initially supposed it would be.
Chuck O'Connor
Apr 05, 2014 Chuck O'Connor rated it did not like it
This is an irrelevant and self-indulgent exercise in form. It has no substance. Bartlett draws selfish characters in a nondescript world that is both vague and cliched. It is sad that plays like this get published or produced. The dramatic form deserves more than this.
Nov 18, 2011 Laura rated it liked it
Recommended to Laura by: Bettie
From BBc Radio 3:

The Royal Court Theatre production, starring Ben Whishaw.

Sudipta
Apr 09, 2013 Sudipta rated it really liked it
nice story
Pgregory
play about sexual indecision.
Bettie☯
Nov 18, 2011 Bettie☯ rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Brazilliant Laura
David Mcshane
Jul 15, 2013 David Mcshane rated it it was amazing
Listened to it on sound cloud. Language and pace kept me gripped all summer day.
evan battle
evan battle rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2015
Jack Davidson
Jack Davidson rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2016
tom
tom rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2013
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2012
  • Jerusalem
  • Other Desert Cities
  • Frozen
  • Awake and Sing!
Michael Bartlett is a British playwright. Mike Bartlett was born on 7 October 1980 in Abingdon, Oxford, England. He attended Abingdon School, then studied English and Theatre Studies at the University of Leeds. In October 2013, Mike won Best New Play at The National Theatre Awards for his play Bull, beating plays from both Alan Ayckbourn and Tom Wells.

(source)

More about Mike Bartlett...