One Wish

One Wish

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  630 ratings  ·  30 reviews
New York Times bestselling author Linda Lael Miller gave readers "a gift to treasure" (Romantic Times) with her acclaimed Springwater Seasons novels. Now, once again capturing the spirit of early America, she delivers a marvelous tale of love, family loyalty, and passionate desire on the Western frontier -- where fairy tales sometimes do come true.

She was the only child of...more
Published November 24th 2009 by Pocket Books (first published February 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about One Wish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Wish

Rochelle Rudicil
RD
This book is an example of how Linda Lael Miller's writing has deteriorated over the past few years. The story started out somewhat promisingly but less than a quarter way through it just started going downhill. I had to force myself to finish the book, skimming the last third just to get through it.
Andrea Hussey
Debbie
Coming home was never easy but with a name like Shardlow, know for his murdering father and his thieving half-brother, Luke never expected anyone to be happy to see him again. Finding Charity Barnham, the daughter of a powerful rancher up a tree made him remember what he had been through as a young boy. A moment with Charity could not change his plans, he had to track and take down his older half-brother no matter who he had to fool to do it. She had heard the stories but she was not prepared to...more
Wendy
I like this book a lot. Though I didn't think that it was quite as good as her Stone Cleek series. The characters were funny and whe writes them very real. I love Miller for that. The story wasn't contrite or predictable. It set a nice pace and kept you interested. I give it 4 out of 5 stars.
Jeanne
Steamy western. The story of Luke Shardlow and Charity Barnham. When these two were children, Luke saved Charity when she fell in the creek, and she granted him one wish. Luke returns as an adult. Luke is a bounty hunter chasing his half-brother, Vance. Shoot-em-ups and Beat-em-ups ensue.
Jody
Love in the western frontier. Romance, drama, gunfights, blackmail, secrets; an interesting book from cover to cover. If you like westerns, you will love this novel. I didn't want it to end, but was happy with the ending!
Drucilla
Your typical historical romance, no surprises here. I do think that the way the author had the characters get together at the end was kind of ridiculous. It seemed like she ran out of pages and had to quickly tie up everything.
Darlene Infantino
Ranching, romance, love all in one book!
Michelle
This book is about a man, with a bad family name, who returns to his hometown as a Bounty Hunter searching for his half-brother. While home he reunites with a girl, who he saved when they were little kids. She promised him once, when he saved her life, that she would offer him one wish and he was ready to collect. I liked this first book I read by Miller but the story didn't pull any emotions out of me. I found myself skimming towards some parts of the book but overall I think the story line was...more
Lauri
It felt over complicated. No one ever said what they actually felt. I heard a military leader say that you don't want an equal, fair fight; you want to dominate to protect your team. The so called feared gunslinger didn't believe it. It didn't make me think he was a good guy. It made me feel like unneeded drama.
Emmy
Oct 06, 2007 Emmy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I love this book. You should trust yourself by your own potential and achieve what you really wanted. Love cannot to denied because its strong than what you've imagined it really is.

Fight for what you want and you'll realize its that easy...
Hope4flowers
Jan 08, 2014 Hope4flowers rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Hope4flowers by: Mom
Good characters. Sweet story
Lisa Currier
This is an older book, that I picked up. Even though it was predictable, it was an enjoyable read. The author always writes engaging characters, and the plot moves along.
Sadie Ritenburgh
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this novel. I hope to come across some more books from Miller. I've enjoyed this book so much that I have read it at least 3 times.
Mia Adorable
A great and poignant love story. About a man with a troubled past and a woman who is trying to find herself. As is always with Linda Miller, great historical romance.
One of my favorites of hers after the spring water series. Romance for sure, but the plot isn't as predictable as usual and it's overall very sweet.
Nancy
This is just a fun, sexy book. If you like this kind of escape, this one is great. Any of Miller's novels are good.
Kimi Sharp
Just a feel-good romance with some action to keep you entertained. Linda Lael has a way with words..
Christel
Feb 02, 2009 Christel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any historical romance reader
Another one of my favorites from Miller. I just love the way she creates her characters and her story lines.
Carla
A great romance novel with a happy ending! I will definitely read more of Miller's books.
Cecelia
Another wonderfull poignant and romanticly stunning books from LLM.
Imeelyn
Do whatever it takes for someone you love, even letting him/her go..
Sheri Rokusek
good book, but again I really enjoy Linda as an author
Janice
All of Mrs. Miller's books are a GREAT read!!
Stacey
one of my fave books by linda!!
NirahStar
Aug 06, 2014 NirahStar rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to NirahStar by: Thrift store random browse
Shelves: 2012-read, favorite
Outstanding book!!
  • Twilight in Texas (The McLain Series 4)
  • Jake (The Cowboys, #1)
  • Lacy
  • A Reason to Live (Forrester Brothers, #1)
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
  • Colter's Wife
  • Train From Marietta
As the daughter of a town marshal, Linda has come home to the western lifestyle that gave birth to one of today’s most successful authors. She left Washington years ago and pursued her wanderlust, living in Arizona and London and traveling the world. Now the author of more than 100 novels, the “First Lady of the West” is glad to be back home, writing contemporary and historical stories that have e...more
More about Linda Lael Miller...
Logan (Montana Creeds, #1) Dylan (Montana Creeds, #2) Tyler (Montana Creeds, #3) McKettrick's Luck (McKettrick Men, #1) (McKettricks, #6) High Country Bride (McKettrick, #1)

“It wasn’t so much the large cauldron of hot water steaming over a slow fire that came as a surprise—people did laundry and made soap that way all the time—but the fact that Luke was sitting in it, like a cartoon missionary in a cannibal camp, wearing his hat and nothing else.
He smiled through the rising vapor, but she saw the knowledge of Jonah’s illness in his eyes, and it touched her in a way words of sympathy could never have done. “You’ll pardon me,” he said, tipping his limp hat, “if I don’t stand.”
In spite of all the sorrow and distress of past days, Charity laughed. “I won’t ask why you’re taking a bath in the dooryard in the bright light of day,” she said, dismounting but keeping a cautious distance, “but I will surely perish of curiosity if you don’t explain the hat.”
The grin widened. “Habit,” he said. “Pure habit. Guess I’ve been a bachelor too long—getting set in my ways. Would you mind adding a few chunks of wood to the fire? I don’t want the water to get cold.”
Charity complied, though her nerves were rattled and her heart was thumping away in the pit of her stomach. “Mind you don’t stay in there too long,” she fussed. “You might just boil right down to the bone, like a stewed chicken. Doesn’t the bottom burn your—feet?”
The brim of the disreputable hate moved upward as Luke raised his eyebrows. “You could always join me in here and find out for yourself,” he suggested.”
0 likes
“Luke stood up, assessed the water tank next to the tub, and shook his head in good-natured amazement. “What a contraption. Makes a man wonder what they’ll invent next, doesn’t it?”
“I wouldn’t know,” Charity answered, exasperated and bone weary. “I’m not a man.”
He laughed. “No, indeed, Mrs. Shardlow, you are pure woman and that is a fact.”
0 likes