Start by marking “Cider Beans, Wild Greens, and Dandelion Jelly: Recipes from Southern Appalachia” as Want to Read:
Cider Beans, Wild Greens, and Dandelion Jelly: Recipes from Southern Appalachia

Cider Beans, Wild Greens, and Dandelion Jelly: Recipes from Southern Appalachia

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  39 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
There are very few books on southern Appalachian cooking. Cider Beans, Wild Greens, and Dandelion Jelly will be a beautiful keepsake for tourists and locals alike that preserves the food of the southern mountain people.

There are many cookbooks about Southern cooking, but precious few celebrate the southern Appalachian food that has sustained mountain folk past and present.
Published June 1st 2010 by Andrews McMeel Publishing (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Cider Beans, Wild Greens, and Dandelion Jelly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cider Beans, Wild Greens, and Dandelion Jelly

David
Jul 14, 2010 David rated it really liked it
This is a really good cookbook. The first part talking about the three waves of people coming to The Appalachian Mountains is very informative. The layout and production of the book is enjoyable and well done. The recipes are excellent -- at least those I have prepared. I enjoyed the oatmeal pancakes and Tennessee Bacon. I am always looking for recipes containing oatmeal.

My disappointment in the book comes from not looking through it before buying it. It was purchased on the basis of a NPR revie
Mathew Carruthers
Great regional info and recipes

Great recipes, especially when informed by regional historic and cultural context. Insightful and entertaining, this book is well worth the read, whether you're just looking for some great authentic recipes, a little info about the region, or hoping to glean some travel tips, you won't be disappointed.
A
Dec 01, 2015 A rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Mmmm. Corncob jelly. Sweetened corn cookies. Dandelion jelly. There is so much here that is interesting and different from every other southern cookbook. I would have loved to see more game meat or other foraging suggestions highlighted since the southern Appalachian traditions I an most familiar with include at least some.
Heather
Sep 25, 2010 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
everything in this books looks and sounds absolutely fantastic especially the garlic cheese grits souffle and grits and redeye gravy and the shrimp and grits (I'm a real BIG fan of grits if you couldn't tell) and I literally want to make every recipe in this book. Now granted I'm not saying I'm an expert on Appalacia, but I think some of the recipes are a little too fancy for Appalachia. Warm camembert salad with apples and walnuts? But there is a short anecdote associated with each recipe expla ...more
Cassie
Nov 10, 2013 Cassie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: home cooks
Recommended to Cassie by: bookshop
This cookbook gives a pretty good overview of the Southern Appalachian region and it's recipes. I would have liked to see more cultivated recipes and historical recipes for a more old-fashioned feel. While it's nice to have the recipes from bed & breakfasts from all over the South, I would have preferred to see recipes printed directly from Ma and Pa's cook book from 1885. With that being said, the recipes inside are fairly easy for the beginner chef and are delicious. Plus, there are some v ...more
Pam
Sep 29, 2010 Pam rated it really liked it
If you are interested at all in Southern Cooking, this is a wonderful book. The recipes are for the most part, simple good country cooking at it's best. Many of them come from local inns and restaurants. On my to-try list: Bourbon-sweet Potato Casserole, Appalachian Cider Beans, I Love Bacon Muffins, and Baked Catfish with Pecans and Spicy Butter Sauce!
Jessi
Feb 16, 2012 Jessi rated it it was amazing
Love, love, LOVE this cookbook. There were so many recipes that reminded me of family (I live in the south and my family originated in Appalachia). The recipes weren't overly complicated, and all of them sounded delicious, honestly. I also liked the little Appalachian "dictionary" pieces strewn throughout the book.
Rebecca Tolley
Jul 15, 2011 Rebecca Tolley rated it it was ok
read my review at my food blog: http://www.potlikkery.com/2010/11/tak...
Karen
Oct 15, 2010 Karen marked it as cook-book-wish-list
The cooler weather has me drooling over the recipes!
Dparks
Dparks marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
William Nye
William Nye rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2016
Littlehippiemama
Littlehippiemama rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2016
Simone
Simone marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Michael Sanders
Michael Sanders marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2015
drublood Duro
drublood Duro marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2015
Valerie
Valerie rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2015
Jenni
Jenni added it
Oct 04, 2015
Della Parker
Della Parker rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2015
elin
elin marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Dolly ♡
Dolly ♡ marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Lisa
Lisa added it
Aug 23, 2015
Merry
Merry rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2015
Deanna
Deanna is currently reading it
Jun 03, 2015
Bren
Bren marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Marcus
Marcus rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2015
Mori
Mori marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Theresa
Theresa marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Karianne
Karianne marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
When California native Joan E. Aller moved to the mountains of east Tennessee, she immediately felt like she had come home. Since moving there, Aller has dedicated herself to preserving the beauty, culture, and traditions of the region through her photography, painting, and writing, and by collecting the best recipes southern Appalachia has to offer."
More about Joan E. Aller...