Start by marking “Wide Awake: Buddhism for the New Generation” as Want to Read:
Wide Awake: Buddhism for the New Generation

Wide Awake: Buddhism for the New Generation

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  86 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Many of today's teenagers are tired of the pressure to compete and consume-and are looking for a different way to live their lives. This book offers an alternative: the 2,500-year old practice of Buddhism.

Written in a style that will have immediate appeal to young "seekers" and those wanting to understand the ancient teachings, this book addresses such relevant topics as p
Published August 5th 2003 by Perigee Trade (first published August 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Wide Awake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wide Awake

Arminzerella
This was truly an eye-opening book. I came to it with all sorts of pre-conceived notions about Buddhism – that it was about being completely selfless and altruistic, to the point where you lose yourself. But it turns out that it’s very humanistic. It recognizes suffering and seeks to help people understand and be aware of themselves, their thoughts, and the world around them – thus, being “awake.” Reading this made me realize that I am already very “Buddhist” in thought and practice, which came ...more
Michael
This book is sloppy with terminology. I found this too distracting to continue. Why is this a problem? Especially for a book intended for teens as their introduction to Buddhism, loading them up with inaccurate interpretations/definitions of the teachings does them a terrible disservice.
Lucky
A book that is aimed at introducing Buddhism to teenagers; but, is so well written and easy to understand without being too simplified, I've given it to several friends who asked me to recommend a good overview of Buddhist beliefs. Great book.
Kerry
Okay, so I am no "teen" but this was the most concise, easy to understand book about Buddhism that I have encountered. I recommend it for people of all ages and refer back to it often when I feel that I need a little nudge back to the path...
Christy
This author did a wonderful job of making a philosophical topic an interesting and insightful read. Buddhism would seem like a drawl topic, but Winston changes that completely! Very good read.
Tracey Adamowski
This book is a must read for all - no matter your faith! It is thought provoking and full of new ways to approach life! I want both my kids to read it!
Adalheid
Sep 16, 2007 Adalheid rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone looking to understand Buddhism, teen or not
This was a great book to understand what Buddhism is, and is not. Very plain speaking and easy to read.
Sheila Craig
Best book on meditation and Buddhism for teens (and the rest of us) I've found yet.
Seung Eun
clear and easy to apply budhist idea in our life.
Samantha
turned me off from becoming Buddhist
autumn
very informative. loved it.
Ivo Drazenovic
Ivo Drazenovic is currently reading it
Dec 10, 2014
Aaron Jones
Aaron Jones marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Dizzyca C
Dizzyca C marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Himel Barua
Himel Barua marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Rachael
Rachael marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
  • Hearing Voices: Collected Stories and Drawings: 5
  • Fractal Time: The Secret of 2012 and a New World Age
  • Ordinary People as Monks and Mystics: Lifestyles for Self-discovery
  • Rotten English: A Literary Anthology
  • Leadership the Eleanor Roosevelt Way: Timeless Strategies from the First Lady of Courage
  • Meditation for Beginners
  • No Death, No Fear
  • God's Chosen Fast
  • Awake at Work: 35 Practical Buddhist Principles for Discovering Clarity and Balance in the Midst of Work's Chaos
Siddhartha wird erwachsen ( Wie man mit Buddhismus die Pubertät überlebt) Wide Awake Nixon Under the Bodhi Tree and Other Works of Buddhist Fiction Fully Present: The Science, Art, and Practice of Mindfulness The Need to Please: Mindfulness Skills to Gain Freedom from People Pleasing and Approval Seeking