Start by marking “Black for Remembrance” as Want to Read:
Black for Remembrance

Black for Remembrance

Caroline Webb knows what it means to lose the person you love most. Twenty years ago, her five-year-old daughter, Hayley, was the light of her life, her treasure, her angle. Then came the terrible day when Hayley was kidnapped from her favorite swing. More than a month passed before her burned, lifeless body was found. All that remained was the silence of Caroline's hearta ...more
Published February 3rd 2009 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Black for Remembrance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black for Remembrance

Paula
Mar 01, 2017 Paula rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s been almost twenty years since Caroline’s 5-year-old daughter, Hayley, was kidnapped and later found murdered. Caroline is now remarried, has a teenage son and an 8-year-old daughter. Suddenly unexplained things begin happening—Hayley’s clown doll which went missing when Hayley was abducted, reappears; Caroline thinks she hears Hayley’s voice calling for her; people connected with Hayley’s kidnapping case are being murdered. Has Hayley come back from the dead, or is this the work of some ot ...more
Poonam
I read this book a long time ago but I still remember how it gave me the creeps.
There were times while reading this one I felt someone is standing behind me and I used to get the chills.
Good story line, very well written!
Marie
Dec 04, 2009 Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are looking for a super quick, super easy read with an absorbing mystery, this is it. Everyone is suspect and that is a rare thing for an author to be able to do, in my opinion. There is usually a set line between the characters who may be suspect and those that are definitely suspect. Not so in this book. I had a hard time putting this book down and ended up reading it in just two sittings. I am loving this author.
Laura Poppins
Jan 26, 2015 Laura Poppins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
I've read and loved every book written by Carlene Thompson, but this one is one of the best. I've just finished it and I can't stop thinking about it.
It is an easy read and a brilliant mystery.
Veronique
Diane Morasco

First time novelist Carlene Thompson proves she is definitely a star on the rise in this deliciously plotted chiller. Thompson pulls no punches showcasing her high caliber writing gymnastics & leaves her imprint for those iconic writers in the suspense/thriller genre.

Thompson saturates Black for Remembrance with brilliant, interesting & frightening characters that are not just placed there as “red herrings”, but are key to propelling the delicious goose bump inducing novel forward, back
Rakshya Khadka
Sep 14, 2014 Rakshya Khadka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Absolutely loved it !!!! You can't help but love this book. It's been written beautifully. The way the book turns out at the end is spell blinding. I read this book when my exams were on my head, but you know what it's worth it. I recommend it to anyone who loves thriller.
Horace Derwent
the cover is a clown doll sitting on a bunch of black orchid, which has a fiendish and cute smiling face
Alyce Rocco
Jul 04, 2017 Alyce Rocco rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Was not sure if Carlene Thompson's, Black for Remembrance, was a murder mystery or supernatural novel, which is why I was loathe to put the book down when real life stuff forced me to do so.

Even though I was not sure, I figured something out, but not the details of how it was possible until the end of the book.

A minor flaw on page 156. "Chris set Hecate on the ground...." Hecate, the cat. Soon they entered the home, and "...Hecate jumped from Chris's arms..." I reread the preceding paragraphs t
Gayle Noble
The writing was ok but I don't know where this praise for the surprise ending came from. To me it was obvious who it was almost from the start.

I also found it very pedestrian in using the *hysterical woman trope* where everyone disbelieves the main character and views her as being 'overly emotional' because naturally after twenty years she was suddenly going to go off the deep end for no reason. Talking of which, (view spoiler)
Heather Herron
The story was good. I had a hard time getting through it though. Maybe because it was in the 3rd person? Maybe it was because she bounced from so many people's perspective? I'm not sure. Ultimately it was a good story though.
Lara Groda
Feb 28, 2017 Lara Groda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In my opinion this is the best C. Thompson's book
Shannon
Sep 17, 2016 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-challenge
A great page turner.. Which had set on a bookshelve ignored for way too long.
Angie crosby
Aug 11, 2008 Angie crosby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alex, suspense
Good book. Bothersome in that it could be true. Not too farfetched in this day and age. Well written and it flowed very fast. An I can't put it down book. Bothers me the thought that it could happen. Still I liked it. The revenge nature of it when looking back knowing the killer is great. It's been 19 years since Carolines daughter was murdered, the killer never found. She has a new family now. When strange things begin to happen on what would have been Hayley's 25 birthday Caroline realizes tha ...more
Karen
Caroline Webb is a mother of 2 (a teen boy and an 8-year-old girl) and a wife to a doctor, whom she once worked for when she was married to her 1st husband.

Twenty years prior, Caroline's world was rocked as her 5-year-old daughter, Hayley, was taken from her family. In the present day, people somehow connected to Hayley are being frightened and even killed.

This was an okay murder/mystery novel. There was one point where I suspected everybody, even husbands and ex-husbands. I felt somewhat sorry
Gen
Dec 25, 2014 Gen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the 2nd book of Carlene Thompson's that I read. I liked it enough, though The ending was not as surprising as I had hoped. Though to be honest, it could also just be because I've already ready a whole lot of crime/ suspense books. I did appreciate that the narrative was written from the POV of the potential victims, not the cops' nor the killer's. It's easy to read, and I finished it in a few hours -- and this, I also appreciated. There were moments I found the writing style a little fo ...more
Dawn
Feb 20, 2011 Dawn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I thought that this book sounded intriguing but then found that it was not as good as I would have expected. Certain things bothered me but one thing in particular--what police officer divulges every detail of an open case to people who are supposed to be suspects? That occurs in this book and after that I was not about to take anything else seriously. Poor attempts to make the reader think that everyone is a suspect except the actual murderer. I had the book figured out very early on. Disappoin ...more
Stephanie
Oct 15, 2012 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I have read of Carlene Thompson.

At first I wasn't sure if I was going to be into, with the beginning talking about super naturals and ghosts being the antagonist. But WOW am I glad I kept reading!! Carlene drops great clues to her mystery thriller, but still leaves you with a handful of possible, but maybe not possible suspects.

I am looking forward to reading her next one.
Sandi Stover
Jun 20, 2016 Sandi Stover rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best mystery stories I've ever read and that's saying a lot because mysteries are my favorite! I'm totally confused why there are so few reviews on Amazon and Goodreads for a book written in 1991 and for a lot of other books by this author. I look forward to reading some more books by her.
Anthalya
Aug 12, 2016 Anthalya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bedtime-stories
I was really looking forward to read this book again, since It was 11 years ago and I never got to the end.

It was exactly that exciting as I can remember.

Though some things can seem like they're stolen from some low-budget film, It kind of takes a turn once you realize that this is a mind trick and not some paranormal shit.

I enjoyed reading It.
Angie Rhodes
Oct 11, 2015 Angie Rhodes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Just the right amount of creepiness to keep you listening for odd voices in the night,, Caroline, can hear a voice, a voice she should not be able to hear, a voice calling out from the darkness. " mummy..mummy" over and over again, a voice that sounds like her daughter Hayley, but it can;t be can it? because Hayley is dead, murdered years ago,,
Bea
Dec 05, 2010 Bea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good mystery thriller. Although I had an idea of a couple of people who might be the killer (and one of them was), I never thought it was for the reason it turned out to be! Very suspenseful and twisty. Good characterizations with believable people populating the story. A read-until-I-finish book!
natalie karns
Apr 05, 2014 natalie karns rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every once in a while, I go back to reading older books and most of the time find them so much better than newer books. How times do change.

This book held me from the first page to the last. I like books where I have no idea of "who done it" and this one certainly had that. Mystery and suspense at its best.
Jessie Shelton
Sep 08, 2012 Jessie Shelton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This is the third book I have read by this author, and this is my favorite so far. Very suspenseful and kept me on the edge of my seat. It only took me about 4 days to read this book because I couldn't put it down! Lock your doors and check under your bed. This one is going to freak you out!
Marlu
Apr 27, 2011 Marlu rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book seemed like it had potential to be pretty good, but the writing style seemed elementary and vague at times. I didn't feel a connection to the characters either. I hope more recent books by this author will be better.
Jules
Nov 12, 2016 Jules rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this book so much that I have read it at least 4 times. The last time I read it I had just been thinking about one part in the book I wanted to reread and I read the whole thing again! One of my favorite books ever!!
Milady Adler
Oct 12, 2015 Milady Adler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this novel up on the shelves of my local library. The story was fun, heart-racing and interesting enough to keep my attention. This isn't my favorite of her works, but I enjoyed the story and the introduction to the author.
Andrea Dillon
Oct 05, 2014 Andrea Dillon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love reading books from local WV authors! :) This one was recommended to me and since it has a creepy clown I figured it would be perfect to add to my month of horror till Halloween reading list. It definitely didn't disappoint!! I was confused all the way to the end. Great book!
Calli
Mar 23, 2011 Calli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Fast moving mystery with some odd twists. It seems very strange to me, though, that the mother seemed fine with her eight-year-old daughter watching Guiding Light like an after-school special -- really?!
Kate S
Jun 25, 2011 Kate S rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I am not a big fan of books which depict crimes against kids. That said, the crime against the youngster in question happened before the story begins and is only touched upon in detailed flashbacks occasionally. The story ended up being a little more bizarre than I was ready to accept.
  • What Lies in Shadow
  • All the Way Home
  • No Way Home
  • Silent Killer (Griffin Powell, #10)
  • Bone Cold (The Malones, #1)
  • The Final Kill
  • Paint It Red
  • 101 Cataclysms: For the Love of Cats
  • The First Cut (Nan Vining Mysteries, #1)
  • The Animal Hour
  • L'Anneau de Moebius
  • Cattery Row (Theda Krakow, #2)
  • Best Intentions
  • Do You Want To Know A Secret? (KEY News #1)
Carlene Thompson is an author of suspense thriller novels.

Her first book, Black for Remembrance, was published in 1990 by Little, Brown and was well received. Her books are suspense novels, often with romantic elements and many take place in Thompson's home state of West Virginia. Her books often feature animals, which she bases on animals she knows in real life.
More about Carlene Thompson...