Start by marking “Diary of a Pilgrimage” as Want to Read:
Diary of a Pilgrimage

Diary of a Pilgrimage

Jerome K. Jerome was born in 1859. He was an English humorist best known for his travelogue Three Men in A Boat. Jerome begins this humorous story with these words in the preface. "This is a sensible book. I want you to understand that. This is a book to improve your mind. In this book I tell you all about Germany--at all events, all I know about Germany--and the Ober-Amme ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1891)

To ask other readers questions about Diary of a Pilgrimage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diary of a Pilgrimage

Rebecca Foster
Just what I expected: a very silly book about the travails of international travel. It’s much more about the luckless journey and the endurance of national stereotypes than it is about the Passion Play the travelers see once they get to Germany. It was amusing to see the ways in which some things have hardly changed in 125 years.
Shalini
It was fabulous. I had really read, reread and enjoyed other books by JKJ such as three men in a boat and three men in the bummel, mostly fiction. This book by the way, is non-fiction, mainly ruminating on life in general and Germany in specific, while the author was travelling with his friend B. in Germany to witness a religious play held once a decade or so. It was funny, scathingly sarcastic, but deeply thought provoking, and actually intense and serious if you chaff through all the humor coa ...more
JackieB
Dec 08, 2010 JackieB rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, general
I really enjoyed this. I think I preferred it to Three Men in a Boat which sometimes seems to try to hard to be funny. It might be because I was in holiday in Austria when I was reading it on my way to the Oberammergau passion play (which was the aim of the Pilgrimage in the book).
Maggie
Jan 04, 2010 Maggie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
totally delightful reading. i travel a LOT more than i want to actually and i found good humor and similar insights on travels into foreign lands. JKJ has a fine touch to his writing, imo.
Sam
Mar 12, 2017 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short one but a good one. There are some hilarious lines in here and the whole thing is made better, I think, by its brevity and the lack of seriousness the book prescribes to itself. An excellent introduction to Jerome K Jerome.
Simon Mcleish
Oct 11, 2012 Simon Mcleish rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Originally published on my blog here in January 2001.

The passion play at Oberammergau is unique, and to many people a journey to see it would be something of a pilgrimage. Such a journey is the subject of this comic novel, very much in the style of Jerome's big success, Three Men in a Boat. The journey is made by rail, and the humour is on such subjects as the obscurity of railway timetables.

It is interesting to compare Diary of a Pilgrimage to Jerome's later Three Men on the Bummel, which is al
Bimbo
Oct 17, 2011 Bimbo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kot zmeren ljubitelj humorja spretnega pisca iz neke minule dobe in nekega specifičnega naroda sem tudi to Jeromovo knjigo prebral brez zatikanja. Vendar me ponavljajoče preigravanje določenih klišejev, poigravanje z popolnimi absurdi in podobne vragolije niso niti pol toliko zabavale kot ob prvem branju njegove knjige (Trije možje se klatijo). Vsaka stvar mora biti ravno prav odmerjena in stric JKJ je kot staro vino: dober v pravih trenutkih in zmernih odmerkih. Prevod se mi zdi dober in pisan ...more
Le Petit Chat
The beauty of reading smaller books is that they are like individually wrapped pieces of chocolate, you can devour several in a short space of time. Each with it's own unique flavour.

I am quite a fan of JKJ, finding his humour my favourite kind, alas in this book it didn't quite have the same effect it usually does. Here Jerome and his friend "B" travel to Germany to watch the Ober-Ammergau Passion Play, a play laid out once every 10 years as thanks to God for saving the town from plague.

Of cour
Madeline
Jan 24, 2017 Madeline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun read. I recently started reading JKJ and wondered how I had missed his writing for so long. This work describes a trip with his friend to the Oberammergau Passion Play. They seem to have covered most of Germany in trying to get there from England. He commented on both their travel frustrations and the cultural differences he noticed on their journey. There is little description of the Play itself since others have written so much better about it. An enjoyable read that will send m ...more
Wkwv
Oct 09, 2013 Wkwv rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jerome K. Jerome has a special place in my reading life. I read "Three Men in a Boat" as a child, a teen, and again as an adult. I read it aloud to my kids. Back in the card catalog days, I couldn't find anything else that Jerome had written. Thanks to Project Gutenberg I have been able to find this little travelog. The humor is mock blustery, middle class, and Victorian male. The Pilgrimage in question is to well known German Passion Play and focuses more on the journey than the destination.
Shafaet Ashraf
Dec 25, 2013 Shafaet Ashraf rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adventure, funny
"থরি মযান ইন এ বোট" পড়ার পর থেকেই এই লেখকের অনযানয বই পড়ার ইচছা ছিলো। ডায়েরি অফ এ পিলগরিমেজ একটা ভরমণকাহিনী, লেখার ধরণ কিছুটা সৈয়দ মুজতবা আলীর কথা মনে করিয়ে দেয়, মজার সব ঘটনার সাথে সেই জারমান সমাজ নিয়ে অনেক কিছু জানা হয়ে গেলো বইটা পড়তে গিয়ে। জেরোম কে জেরোমের লেখার সবথেকে অনবদয দিক হলো এক মুহূরতে যেমন হাসাবে আবার ঠিক পরের মুহূরতে গুরুগমভীর কিছু কথা জীবন নিয়ে ভাবতে বাধয করবে। ...more
KL
Jul 18, 2008 KL rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Jerome K. Jerome. If you can't afford to go on vacation for yourself this is the next best thing. It was also a lot of fun to read prior to my own vacation. He goes through a lot of the same chaos on a train that I went through on a bus, but he did it with wit?
Maria Holland
Jun 26, 2015 Maria Holland rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Jerome is a classic. This is similar to Three Men on a Bummel (also set in Germany) but they mainly travel by train. The short bit that actually concerned the play (and therefore pilgrimage) was moving, but the rest is just class Jerome - very sarcastic and insightful.
Anna
Very funny and interesting. Who would have thought Victorian German beds would be so hard to master! After finishing the book, I was sorry to realise the period of history that was to follow and how English attitudes towards the German people would be damaged so severely.
Cliff Watt
Oct 20, 2016 Cliff Watt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Totally love JKJ and thoroughly enjoyed diary of a pilgrimage. Full of cracking one liners as well as some poignant moments.

Also lovely to read his thoughts and impressions of late C19th Germany, both his description of the people, the places and, the beds!
Kl
Jul 18, 2008 Kl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bill
Jul 09, 2015 Bill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I laughed my way through most of it. Reminds me of Twain's travels. Perhaps a bit of Bryson thrown in. Nothing like a couple of Brit's set loose in Europe
Malcolm
Rather much in the same theme as Three Men on the Bummell but with less endearing characters. More episodic and tiresome in its constant criticism of late Nineteenth Century Germany
Poppy
Subtitle: Two Men and a Passion Play
David
Feb 04, 2011 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, ebook
I do love Jerome!
Maz
Jan 05, 2015 Maz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only problem with this book is that i read it after 'Three man in a boat', so most of the sarcastic tone were a deja vu.
Георги
Nov 03, 2013 Георги rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
+ още 2 звезди! :)
NB! Да я препрочета! :)
Marina Angelova
Marina Angelova rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2017
Paolo Rinaldi
Paolo Rinaldi rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2011
Sarah rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2012
Peter Bragg
Peter Bragg rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2017
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2011
Brent
Brent rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2014
MaraG
MaraG rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2015
Tom
Tom rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2011
  • Journals and Letters
  • Pictures from Italy
  • Frequent Hearses (Gervase Fen, #7)
  • In the Land of Pain
  • Earwitness: Fifty Characters
  • Selected Writings
  • Sarah: The Life of Sarah Bernhardt
  • Jess
  • The Complete Stalky and Co.
  • Erewhon Revisited (Erewhon , #2)
  • Sins of the Cities of the Plain
Jerome Klapka Jerome (May 2, 1859 – June 14, 1927) was an English author, best known for the humorous travelogue Three Men in a Boat.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerome_K...

More about Jerome K. Jerome...

“I often arrive at quite sensible ideas and judgements, on the spur of the moment. It is when I stop to think that I become foolish.” 21 likes