The End Of Homework: How Homework Disrupts Families, Overburdens Children, And Limits Learning

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  14 reviews
In 1901, homework was legally banned in California. By the 1990's, assigning homework to our chldren has a priority equal to national security. Today, few question the need for homework in preparing children for their future. And yet research suggests that homework probably has no helpful effect in elementary school and questionable outcomes in middle school. Our kids are...more
Published by Beacon Press (MA)

Stephanie
I liked this one better. The authors compare the homework burden of students to the burdens we have as adults. I love the idea that kids should have an 40-hour school week, including school activities, and homework. They interviewed kids, both drop-outs and successful kids, and homework is the one thing that consistently is seen as a burden, a source of unhappiness with school, and a primary reason for the hopelessness some kids feel. I liked that it made me think about what I do as a teacher.
Mary
These authors and I come from different places of prioritizing research, but I think in the end we share the same 1920s-style progressive ideal for education. One of my favorite arguments here is that homework creates a greater gap between haves and have-nots as affluent homes take on the qualities of the schoolroom--clean, well-lit, with books, computers and knowledgeable adults who are committed to education--while many other students have far more precarious educational settings at home. The...more
Cortney
I read this because I was hoping to get a more nuanced take than the emotional tirade that was "The Case Against Homework". This book definitely lays off of the overblown tug at your heartstrings homework sob stories, which is a plus. It also shares more of the history of homework in relation to public schooling, and how homework has evolved within the framework of public education. I would say that this is infinitely better than "The Case Against Homework" and was actually thought provoking and...more
Terry
After teaching for a couple of years, this was the first examination of homework I'd read. As I think back, it is disturbing that in all of my pre-service preparation and in-service professional development, homework merited next to no attention. While there are several later books that also examine this venerable institution - Alfie Kohn's The Homework Myth comes to mind - I'm not sure any do a better job. It is a quick read, and all teachers should be familiar with the arguments herein, even i...more
Wendi
I had very few objections with the authors' general arguments in "The End of Homework". But I found the rationale a bit overblown and stretched at times. I liked that it was a quick read, because it was already too repetetive (could have been condensed to an essay). Overall I enjoyed pausing to question this fundamental part of school life - homework - that is rarely scrutinized or given space in public dialogue.
Sandy
I don't know if I appreciated this one as much as The Homework Myth by Alfie Kohn. I agree with the the fact that homework disrupts families, overburdens children and limits learning.. I personally don't think that the author focused on these point enough in the book.

I also didn't agree with many of the authors social/economic and political views expressed in the book.
Mr.soule
Awesome. I love the chapter on the history of education, and I love the suggestion that teachers and schools can intrude (through homework) into the privacy of family life. Seriously, everyone wants children to succeed academically, but it has to be done the right way. This book serves as a great addition to the discussion of the proper role of homework and education.
Kristina
Oct 14, 2007 Kristina rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teachers and parents
It's revealing. I can't imagine a life without giving homework to my students, but I picked up this book hoping it would illuminate the path towards no more paperwork. Alas, it was not to be. I don't think there's any way to avoid sending review work home, but golly gee, I'd LOVE not to have to do it.
Tracey
Found it informative, makes one wonder why homework is so stressed as important (and this is coming from a teacher!) Well, I know why we give homework, to get kids ready for the homework they are going to receive next year. The problem is, we now give homework in preschool - it is a standard.
James Witherspoon
This book really hits home why I despise homework. Any reason why I can tell you is in this book. The authors really hit this one out of the park. If you are in school currently or were with in the past 20 years I suggest you read this fine piece of non fiction.
Ryan
According to this author, a big problem facing America is too much emphasis on academics. What planet are they living on? In my world, all anyone cares about is sports, watching TV, and playing computer games. Homework is the least of our worries.
Anne
Nothing earth-shaking. Out of date. Don't bother, unless you think that lots of homework is a good thing. It's not.
Rebecca
I don't like homework. It takes up all your time. It's better to read or play.
Rachael Davis
A bit of a slow read but still has interesting points.
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Mike C
Mike C added it
Jul 24, 2014
Lucas Harris
Lucas Harris is currently reading it
Jul 19, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Sandy
Sandy marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Beatrice Lee
Beatrice Lee marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
Rizza
Rizza marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
Melanie Moore
Melanie Moore marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Leanna Aker
Leanna Aker marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2013
April
April marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2013
Anna
Anna added it
Dec 03, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Schools That Do Too Much: Wasting Time and Money in Schools and What We Can All Do About It Identity in Metamorphosis: An Anthology of Writings from Zimbabwe Students