Start by marking “The End Of Homework: How Homework Disrupts Families, Overburdens Children, And Limits Learning” as Want to Read:

3.52  ·  Rating Details  ·  62 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
In 1901, homework was legally banned in California. By the 1990's, assigning homework to our chldren has a priority equal to national security. Today, few question the need for homework in preparing children for their future. And yet research suggests that homework probably has no helpful effect in elementary school and questionable outcomes in middle school. Our kids are ...more
Published July 17th 2000 by Beacon Press (MA)

To ask other readers questions about The End Of Homework, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The End Of Homework

Stephanie
I liked this one better. The authors compare the homework burden of students to the burdens we have as adults. I love the idea that kids should have an 40-hour school week, including school activities, and homework. They interviewed kids, both drop-outs and successful kids, and homework is the one thing that consistently is seen as a burden, a source of unhappiness with school, and a primary reason for the hopelessness some kids feel. I liked that it made me think about what I do as a teacher.
Mary
Feb 19, 2014 Mary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: public-education
These authors and I come from different places of prioritizing research, but I think in the end we share the same 1920s-style progressive ideal for education. One of my favorite arguments here is that homework creates a greater gap between haves and have-nots as affluent homes take on the qualities of the schoolroom--clean, well-lit, with books, computers and knowledgeable adults who are committed to education--while many other students have far more precarious educational settings at home. The ...more
Cortney
Dec 21, 2011 Cortney rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this because I was hoping to get a more nuanced take than the emotional tirade that was "The Case Against Homework". This book definitely lays off of the overblown tug at your heartstrings homework sob stories, which is a plus. It also shares more of the history of homework in relation to public schooling, and how homework has evolved within the framework of public education. I would say that this is infinitely better than "The Case Against Homework" and was actually thought provoking and ...more
Jonna Higgins-Freese
The sections on the history of homework (hint: it's been an ongoing conversation throughout US history) were relatively interesting. The rest of it can be summed up as: there's no real research that shows much benefit of homework even to narrowly defined academic outcomes, much less quantifies the balance and tradeoff in family time, social activity, and student interest lost.
Wendy
An examination of the benefits and pitfalls of assigning homework. Although an interesting read, this book is mostly only relevant for elementary school teachers. Although the research shows that homework hurts younger aged children, there is almost no evidence that homework is a detriment to middle and high school students.
Terry
Aug 16, 2010 Terry rated it really liked it
Shelves: teaching-general
After teaching for a couple of years, this was the first examination of homework I'd read. As I think back, it is disturbing that in all of my pre-service preparation and in-service professional development, homework merited next to no attention. While there are several later books that also examine this venerable institution - Alfie Kohn's The Homework Myth comes to mind - I'm not sure any do a better job. It is a quick read, and all teachers should be familiar with the arguments herein, even i ...more
Wendi
Sep 03, 2012 Wendi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had very few objections with the authors' general arguments in "The End of Homework". But I found the rationale a bit overblown and stretched at times. I liked that it was a quick read, because it was already too repetetive (could have been condensed to an essay). Overall I enjoyed pausing to question this fundamental part of school life - homework - that is rarely scrutinized or given space in public dialogue.
Sandy
Feb 06, 2009 Sandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know if I appreciated this one as much as The Homework Myth by Alfie Kohn. I agree with the the fact that homework disrupts families, overburdens children and limits learning.. I personally don't think that the author focused on these point enough in the book.

I also didn't agree with many of the authors social/economic and political views expressed in the book.
Mr.soule
Mar 20, 2012 Mr.soule rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
Awesome. I love the chapter on the history of education, and I love the suggestion that teachers and schools can intrude (through homework) into the privacy of family life. Seriously, everyone wants children to succeed academically, but it has to be done the right way. This book serves as a great addition to the discussion of the proper role of homework and education.
Kristina
Oct 14, 2007 Kristina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teachers and parents
It's revealing. I can't imagine a life without giving homework to my students, but I picked up this book hoping it would illuminate the path towards no more paperwork. Alas, it was not to be. I don't think there's any way to avoid sending review work home, but golly gee, I'd LOVE not to have to do it.
Tracey
Found it informative, makes one wonder why homework is so stressed as important (and this is coming from a teacher!) Well, I know why we give homework, to get kids ready for the homework they are going to receive next year. The problem is, we now give homework in preschool - it is a standard.
James Witherspoon
May 31, 2012 James Witherspoon rated it it was amazing
This book really hits home why I despise homework. Any reason why I can tell you is in this book. The authors really hit this one out of the park. If you are in school currently or were with in the past 20 years I suggest you read this fine piece of non fiction.
Ryan
Oct 13, 2011 Ryan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
According to this author, a big problem facing America is too much emphasis on academics. What planet are they living on? In my world, all anyone cares about is sports, watching TV, and playing computer games. Homework is the least of our worries.
Anne
Feb 12, 2012 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing earth-shaking. Out of date. Don't bother, unless you think that lots of homework is a good thing. It's not.
Jennifer Taylor
Mar 10, 2016 Jennifer Taylor rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Poorly researched and what was researched and utilized was repeated often throughout the book.
Rebecca
Aug 06, 2013 Rebecca rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I don't like homework. It takes up all your time. It's better to read or play.
Rachael Davis
A bit of a slow read but still has interesting points.
Lauren Alexander
Lauren Alexander marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Taymour Siddiqui
Taymour Siddiqui marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Melissa Kremer
Melissa Kremer rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2016
Mindy Shaw
Mindy Shaw marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Alexandra
Alexandra rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
ZenchiT
ZenchiT marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Eric Campbell
Eric Campbell rated it it was ok
Mar 29, 2016
Heather Wardwell
Heather Wardwell marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Thirsty
Thirsty rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2016
Kirk Mccullough
Kirk Mccullough marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
Beth Wills
Beth Wills marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
Math
Math rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2016