Start by marking “The Secret Life of Ms. Finkleman” as Want to Read:
The Secret Life of Ms. Finkleman

The Secret Life of Ms. Finkleman

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  246 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
Ms. Finkleman is just our boring old music teacher. Or is she?

It all starts with a Special Project in Mr. Melville's Social Studies class: Solve a mystery in your own life. For seventh grader Bethesda Fielding, one mystery is too tempting to ignore: Ms. Finkleman.

Bethesda is convinced that her mousy Music Fundamentals teacher is hiding a secret life, and she’s determined t
Published September 21st 2010 by HarperCollins (first published June 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Life of Ms. Finkleman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Life of Ms. Finkleman

Michele Knott
Aug 10, 2011 Michele Knott rated it really liked it
Fans of Andrew Clements will enjoy this book! The students find out that their boring music teacher actually used to be a rock star (or was she???)! But Ms. Finkleman is not too happy that her "cover" has been blown. Ms. Finkleman forms a secret alliance with two students - Tenny and Bethesda. Between the three of them, they have to pull off the greatest choral concert ever and find a way for Tenny to pass the "Floating Midterm" exam in their history class so he won't have to go to a different s ...more
Rick Stuckwisch
Oct 26, 2013 Rick Stuckwisch rated it really liked it
We discovered this book after reading its sequel, "The Mystery of the Missing Everything." This one, too, was great fun and a delightful read. Same kind of "Tina Fey / Mean Girls" vibe, but aimed at a middle school / junior high level. Nothing risque or rude. Humorous, with the feel of easy banter throughout, but also thoughtful and at times poignant in its consideration of adolescent personality. We'll be watching for more books by this author.
Bryan
Apr 08, 2015 Bryan rated it really liked it
I really liked this book it was interesting, Bethesda is a 7th grader, and she is assigned an assignment for her Social Studies Class the assignment is to solve a mystery of her life. Bethesda decides that she wants to find more about her Music Teacher Ms.Finkleman she was an old lady that most people did care about.
Bethesda thinks that Ms.Finkleman her music teacher is hiding something, And Bethesda wants to find out what it is, so she starts to investigate. Bethesda learns that her music teach
Kaethe
Jul 16, 2014 Kaethe marked it as abandoned
Shelves: debut
I'm enjoying the idea, but there's an annoying little thing that keeps bugging me: the author keeps using first and last names together of the students, after they've been introduced, and some of those names are tricky. It really seems to slow down the reading aloud. Which is one reason why I advise anyone writing for MG or younger to read their texts aloud before publication. It makes a difference.

***

We were liking it just okay, and couldn't manage to finish it even when it was more than a week
Beverly
Feb 23, 2011 Beverly rated it it was amazing
Summary from Booklist: Ms. Finkleman, a mild-mannered Music Fundamentals teacher, is a completely anonymous figure at Mary Todd Lincoln Middle School. She is such a nonentity that ace student Bethesda Fielding determines there must be more to her—a secret history that needs to be uncovered. When Bethesda discovers her teacher’s punk-music past, the repercussions are hilarious, revolutionary, and TWR (“Totally Way Rock”)

Mr. Melville is notorious for assigning "special projects" in his social stud
Jackie
Mar 22, 2011 Jackie rated it really liked it
Bethesda Fielding, while working on and completing a special project for her social studies class, discovers the answer to a baffling mystery about her music teacher, Ms. Finkleman. After scrounging and snooping around, Bethesda finds out that Ms. Finkleman was in a rock band a few years ago and they were good! Little Miss Mystery and the Red Herrings featured none other than their teacher, Ida Finkleman...how come she is a fuddy-duddy, classical music loving, boring teacher at Mary Todd Lincoln ...more
Carly
This was a wonderful surprise. I picked up this book from the library, because I'm pretty sure that Brett Helquist illustrated the cover. Then I thought the back of the book sounded interesting.

I enjoyed this more than I expected to and the characters are lovely. And this book is legitimately funny. I thought that the end dragged on a bit too long, and there were a couple of things about the end that at I didn't quite like, but as a whole I loved it. I'm really looking forward to reading its seq
Heather
Jan 20, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it
This was a cute story about a special homework assignment, a secret in a teacher’s past, and a school music competition. This book has just enough angles in it to interest both boys and girls – especially those into music and mystery solving. The music aspect references some popular bands and songs, however they may not be familiar to the age appropriate with reading it. This would be a great step up for the kids that enjoy A to Z Mysteries by Ron Roy or The Magic Tree House series by Mary Pope ...more
Joshua
Jul 13, 2010 Joshua rated it liked it
This book was just a fun read in the vein of the Frindle era Andrew Clements with an enjoyable main character, solid plot, and a few predictable and entertaining twists... however it has 3 main issues that concern me and hold it back from a higher level...

1. Marketing: The cover just looks dated... I could see an arm with a tattoo... I can see musical instruments... I could see the punk album cover... but two kids... and that girl... uuuurrrggghhhh...

2. Cheaters never prosper... except in this b
Brendan Nicholls
Jun 02, 2016 Brendan Nicholls rated it liked it
I actually don't know how this came to be in my reading pile. The book was well written and one of the better young books. I think I've grown up with Goosebumps so the twist was rather bland. Quick read and one that doesn't out stay its welcome, I must confess all the characters are well designed, this will probably be my one and only entry into this world. Odd choice book aside I think certain readers, especially younger will find something here.
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
The Secret Life of Ms. Finkleman is a fun, engaging middle grade read.

When 7th grader Bethseda Fielding is giving a class assignment to solve a mystery, she takes it upon herself to find out who their shy, mousy voiced music teacher, Ms Finkleman really is. When her ambitions of solving the mystery get ahead of her, Bethseda will not only have gained new friends, helped some of her fellow students discover their talents and turn the school upside down with her latest discovery, but she'll learn
Katieb (MundieMoms)
The Secret Life of Ms. Finkleman is a fun, engaging middle grade read.

Addison Children
Feb 10, 2014 Addison Children rated it liked it
Shelves: chapter-books
Bethesda is looking for a secret behind the school's mousy music teacher. As luck and plot would have she finds one; Ms Finkleman was once the famous rock star Little Miss Mystery! This news causes a change in the school's upcoming choral program to Rock n Roll, much to the delight of many of the students. But as plot would have it, this is not Ms Finkleman's only secret.
Gene
Sep 24, 2011 Gene rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
"The Secret Life of Ms. Finkleman" is about a brainiac girl named Bethesda Feildings and a total spaced out kid named Tenny Boyer. It all started in a history project, solve your own mystery. Some other kids in Bethesda's class did stupid things like why hot dogs come in packeges in 12 when hot dog buns are in packeges of 8? Well Bethesda got a interesting one... what is Ms. Finkleman's real life? When she found a list of songs in Ms. Finkleman's drawer, is it ture... Did Ms. Finkleman used to b ...more
Brandi Rae
I really wanted to like this one so much more than I did. When Bethesda's seventh grade history class is instructed to solve a mystery she discovers that the school's mousy, near invisible music teacher used to be a punk rock singer!

But what made Ms. Finkleman leave it all behind? And will the class be able to pull together the rock show to end all rock shows in time to win the Chorus Corral?

The book was fun, and I was really rooting for the kids. However I'm not sure how many readers will real
Terry
Big Kid Reaction: This is a quick read. The mystery is not so predictable that you can see the twist coming too early. Kevin, Tenny, and the rock concert keep this from being a “girl book,” which the cover seems to suggest. Bethesda’s relationship with her dad is a a nice change from the frequent mother-daughter tandems that fill books for kids this age. I loved that it showed a healthy relationship between a dad and his teenage daughter.

Pros: Boys and girls alike will relate to Bethesda, Kevin,
mandyfujita
Jul 16, 2012 mandyfujita rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading how Bethesda Fielding completed her social studies assignment of finding a mystery and solving it. She decided to unearth the mystery behind her music fundamentals teacher, Ms. Finkleman. She discovers and announces during her presentation that Ms. Finkleman was a rock star from the 1990s band Little Miss Mystery and the Red Herrings. The school goes crazy especially when they find out that they are putting on a rock show in the annual All-County Choral Corral.

Lots of intera
Michael
Jan 20, 2014 Michael rated it really liked it
Very solid YA book. Writing about rock music is tough - it's a tightrope walk between being too obscure on one side, and too uncool on the other. Winters does a really great job conveying the excitement music can bring to both the jaded music enthusiast and those new to the genre. My only quibble: there are about five songs on Weezer's first album that would be better for a middle school concert than "Holiday". Everyone's a critic.
Karen
Nov 16, 2015 Karen rated it it was ok
I didn't like this book. There were far too many holes and inconsistencies for me to like the story, and the only character I came close to liking was the grumpy old Social Studies teacher, Mr. Melville.
Ms Threlkeld
Nov 08, 2014 Ms Threlkeld rated it really liked it
This book had a great mix of mystery, music, and humor. I didn't see some of the twists coming, which is always delightful. A solid read for tweens who like mysteries, realistic fiction, and/or dream of being in a band.
Peggy
Mar 09, 2013 Peggy rated it really liked it
This is a fun, well-written story of a group of middleschoolers who are assigned a special project. They are to solve a mystery in their own lives. Bethesda decides that her music teacher, Ms. Finkleman, has a secret life, and she sets out to uncover it. The results are surprising, and in the process of her research, many lives are changed, including Bethesda's. This is a great depiction of the life of a middleschooler and all the anxiety/excitement that comes with that. The character developmen ...more
Kaethe
Feb 28, 2011 Kaethe marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: debut

***

Bethany
You never know what answers you'll find when you tease apart the threads of a mystery. Bethesda certainly didn't know that she would upend the school and a teacher's life by trying to learn something (anything!) about mousy Ms. Finkleman's past. The music teacher doesn't seem particularly interesting, but Bethesda is determined to dig up something juicy.

There's a good deal about this book that simply doesn't make sense, but it's a fun riff on a "School of Rock" theme. The characters are all tak
Fiona
Jul 26, 2015 Fiona rated it really liked it
One reviewer likened this story to Andrew Clements and I agree. Fun story...
Carol Wilcox
Dec 29, 2010 Carol Wilcox rated it really liked it
One part Harriet the Spy, one part adolescent friendship, one part Rock and Roll, with a style similar to a novel by Andrew Clements. Bethesda's social studies teacher asks his students to find a mystery in their lives and solve it. Bethesda decides she will learn more about Ms. Finklestein, the reclusive music teacher. Her search for information leads her to believe that Ms. Finkleman actually used to be Little Miss Mystery, a rock star from the Red Herrings. Her discovery turns her middle scho ...more
Munro's Kids
Oct 25, 2014 Munro's Kids rated it really liked it
This is a fun and goofy middle school story along the lines of Richard Scrimger or Gordon Korman, and pulled off surprisingly well. The author effectively straddles the line between the outlandish and the grounded and the main character, Bethesda, has a unique and relatable presence. The interplay between her, Tenny and Ms Finkleman feeds into the lively plot while also humanizing the stakes. It makes for a satisfying experience, good for preteens of either gender.
-Angela
melissa1lbr
My thoughts: This is a short, sweet, and fairly funny story about the mysterious lives of teachers - what do they do outside of school? A story that seems to not have much depth, but pulls a few surprises before it ends. It's something to give your MG kids who like music and wonder what their teachers do in their spare time.
Full review at One Librarian's Book Reviews.
Cathy
Feb 04, 2011 Cathy rated it it was amazing
An ambitious student takes on a mystery and turns her whole school unpside down, forming new friends, finding new talents, and very possibly saving a familial relationship in the process. The mystery of just who the mousy, drab music teacher really is- and was- is a surprise. The writing is great, characters well developed, and music references much to my liking (Weezer for band practice anyone?!) This will be HUGE with the 5th - 7th grade crowd!
Christiane
Have you ever known someone so boring, so dull and predictable you just know they must have a secret past? Seventh-grader Bethesda is certain her mousy Music Fundamentals teacher is hiding something, and...turns out she is right. The rest of the book is what happens after Bethesda reveals the big secret, and should appeal to fans of school fiction, mysteries, and maybe even Glee fans since a big part of the story is preparing for a big musical finale.
Destani Vanardalen
Mar 18, 2011 Destani Vanardalen rated it it was amazing
This is about a girl named Bethesda who has to write a report about a mystery in someones life. The first thing that got to her head was to write the report on Ms. Finkleman. Everyone that she told was like why do you want to write this report on the boring music teacher. Will Bethesda figure out if the teacher is really a rockstar. If you really want to find out you should read this fun filling book!
  • Edgar Allan's Official Crime Investigation Notebook
  • Wildfire Run
  • Sammy Keyes and the Showdown in Sin City (Sammy Keyes, #16)
  • Groundhog Weather School
  • Barfing in the Backseat: How I Survived My Family Road Trip
  • I Put a Spell on You: From the Files of Chrissie Woodward, Spelling Bee Detective
  • The Great Cheese Conspiracy
  • The Boy Who Howled
  • Take Me to the River
  • Hidden Voices: The Orphan Musicians of Venice
  • The Trials of Kate Hope
  • The Mistaken Masterpiece (The Red Blazer Girls, #3)
  • The Talent Thief
  • The Brilliant Fall of Gianna Z.
  • Kelsey Green, Reading Queen