Start by marking “Angels on a Pin” as Want to Read:
Angels on a Pin

Angels on a Pin

2.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  156 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
What if there was a whole city on the head of a pin? And the angels there thought they lived in the biggest, best, the only city in the universe. Until someone discovered there were other pins. And other cities. With angels dancing in every one. Now that would be a reason to celebrate! With magic in her words and art, Barbara Helen Berger invites children to wonder right a ...more
Published March 6th 2000 by Philomel

To ask other readers questions about Angels on a Pin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angels on a Pin

Jessica
Mar 31, 2015 Jessica rated it it was ok
This story has the same concept of a world thinking they are the only world and thing realizing they are really a very small spec in a larger world. In this Angels on a Pin they find that there is many other civilizations on pins, that they are not alone. I personally didn't love the story but it projects the idea of other universes out there. Questioning if we really are the only planet with life.
Caroline Raines
Dec 10, 2014 Caroline Raines rated it it was ok
I felt like this book was a little too abstract for children to understand the deeper meaning. From a child's point of view, they understand that the angels are finding each other, but in a more realistic sense, the author is maybe trying to push the idea that there are other worlds out there besides our own. I didn't really like the story line, it was kinda boring, and it didn't really make much sense.
Heidi Wong
Apr 02, 2015 Heidi Wong rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I think this book is kind of deep somehow for kids. because people can have different feedback and thoughts after reading it. It talks about having different world/ cities when we know we not the only one. I kind of need to read it over again to make sure myself picking up what it wants me to understand about. But so far it is a nice book to make children widen their horizon.
Austin Francis
I'm not sure what the point of the book was. Is it trying to say we're not the only ones in the universe? It's kind of like "Horton Hears a Who". I feel like this book could have been condensed into 2 pages. It was filled with fluff with the angels dancing with each other. Seriously. there's like 3 pages where it describes the angels' dance moves using scat words.
Michelle
Dec 09, 2014 Michelle rated it did not like it
Do Angels take up matter? Who cares. I hate Sci-Fi usually and this book I can't seem to figure out the purpose of it. It wouldn't be able to relate to any of my activities and doesn't teach anything. This is honestly my least favorite section. I don't like the books or movies. I can't seem to point out on thing from this book that I could like????
Rebecca Murphy
Apr 02, 2015 Rebecca Murphy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
Kids may not understand the deeper meaning, but this is one of the better picture books of the sci-fi genre. It is a fun way to present the idea that the world is big, and the Universe is huge. There is more than just us and more than we can see it comprehend, but it's a beautiful thing, even if we cannot yet realize it completely.
Ariane Frost
Apr 02, 2015 Ariane Frost rated it did not like it
I didn't particularly enjoy this book. I think maybe I liked the idea of it more than I actually liked the book itself. It was just kind of odd and I didn't like the cliff hanger aspect of it. Maybe kids would be more fond of this but as an adult I really didn't think that this book had very much going for it.
Staci Browning
Apr 01, 2015 Staci Browning rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
I actually liked this book a lot. While this was really the only childrens book we read I thought it was still fun and cooky enough to be enjoyable. I think to introduce what science fiction is and the characteristics of it. I would use this book to read, if not just an option for my students to read.
Halli
Dec 11, 2014 Halli rated it did not like it
Shelves: children-s-lit
I did not like this book. I felt like there was no point to the book. I was not sure what the moral or message the author was trying to tell the reader. There was a lot going on and it seemed like the book was a little too abstract for children. I did not really enjoy or understand the point of the book.
Kenzie Cornelison
Dec 09, 2014 Kenzie Cornelison rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
I found this book rather interesting. I thought it was cute at the same time. Is it one that I will read to my future students? Probably not. But I didn't mind the book completely. I think the only thing this book is good for is so there is some picture books in the science fiction catagory.
Jaclyn
Dec 09, 2014 Jaclyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
I really loved having this book read to me as a young'un! I was excited as soon as I heard about us having it in class today! I think that it has wonderful illustration and a beautiful storyline. I really see this as a must need children's storybook read around the nation and world.
Alexis
Mar 31, 2014 Alexis rated it it was ok
Shelves: march
I thought that this book was very strange and kind of hard to follow along with. I do not think that children would be interested in this book very much because it was slow and not very exciting, the drawings were not amazing and nothing about this book really stood out to me.
Celeste Lambert
Apr 01, 2015 Celeste Lambert rated it really liked it
I get where the author was going with this book & I think it's a good concept. However I don't think I would read this book to my classroom, only because I don't think younger children would be able to grasp it... I don't think some adults could even grasp it.
Katie Hibbard
Dec 09, 2014 Katie Hibbard rated it liked it
This is a very interesting book, especially for children. It is definitely one that can allow them to think and talk about the universe that we live in. I don't necessarily think it is the best book for children, but it is one that may open their minds a little bit.
Emilee Wirth
Dec 09, 2014 Emilee Wirth rated it really liked it
This book was okay, but it is not something I would read to my children. I feel that there is too much what if. Such as, what if the future was this way or another. Children sometimes have a hard time with what if either something exists to them or not.
Sapphire Moosman
Mar 31, 2015 Sapphire Moosman rated it really liked it
Absolutely perfect way to introduce children to science fiction. Make them think slightly out side of the box as well as something that can relate to us. The art work is also fun so it is sure to grab their attention.

Have fun reading.
Katlyne Zarkowski
Apr 01, 2015 Katlyne Zarkowski rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
This is one of the few science fiction children's book that actually have pictures. If young students are interested in this genre, then it would be excellent for them to read this. It's a positive and easy to understand story.
Ashlyn Phillips
Dec 09, 2014 Ashlyn Phillips rated it did not like it
Thought it was an okay attempt on science fiction in a picture book. I still love the classic sci-fi novel better because of the detail and story that the novel provides. I thought this book wasn't horrible, just not my favorite.
April Poulter
Mar 31, 2014 April Poulter rated it liked it
Shelves: march
Interesting book. It's definitely not my favorite picture book, but as far as science fiction goes, it's pretty good. I actually think that this book makes for a great segway into a science discussion/lesson on space.
Ashley
Dec 10, 2014 Ashley rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-lit
This book reminded me of a lot Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who except in the Science Fiction genre. It wasn't my favorite book but it was intriguing. I would recommend this book to any kid that has a love of Sci-Fi.
Erin
Oct 10, 2015 Erin rated it liked it
Shelves: 02-fantasy
I liked the color scheme of the pictures (black and a silvery purple/blue in the background) and the pictures were fun to look at. The story was a little strange to me, but still enjoyable.
Carson Panike
Apr 01, 2015 Carson Panike rated it did not like it
This is a very strange book, and ends abruptly. I would not recommend this book for your classroom. I also do not understand how angels are portrayed as aliens in this book. Very strange.
Samantha Brown
Dec 10, 2014 Samantha Brown rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-lit
I thought that this book was weird. Why would you want to know if angles live on a pinhead? I think that I would have this book in my classroom only because it will get kids to think.
Nicole Packer
Dec 10, 2014 Nicole Packer rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
I wasn't necessarily into this book very much! I didn't quite understand the point of the book. It didn't make any sense to me at all! I don't think I will have this one in the classroom.
Andrea
Apr 01, 2015 Andrea rated it it was ok
I feel like this book was pretty confusing and I would not read it to my students. I would just wait for them to be older in order to introduce them to science fiction.
Amanda Eastmond
Mar 31, 2015 Amanda Eastmond rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I thought it was an interesting concept because I hadn't ever asked myself if angels take up space or not. I thought children would think it was a fun story though.
Bailey
Dec 11, 2014 Bailey rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I thought this book was really weird, but I think that some children might enjoy it. This isn't a book that I would run to Barnes and Noble for to put in my classroom.
Karen P.
Mar 31, 2015 Karen P. rated it it was ok
This book had an interesting concept, but I found the delivery lacking. I couldn't understand the point of the story and it had an abrupt ending.
Kaylyn Bud
Mar 31, 2015 Kaylyn Bud rated it did not like it
Weird book, not very interesting and doesn't particularly make sense to me. I don't even think little kids would enjoy this book.
Mackenzie Piper
The illustrations are really cute! But that's about all this book really has going for it, aside from the small imagination factor.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Barbara Helen Berger grew up loving to draw and paint. She studied Art at the University of Washington in Seattle, her home town, where she earned a BFA degree in Painting. During her five years of study, she also went to Yale Summer School of Music & Art, and to Tyler School of Art in Rome, Italy. In Italy she saw the art she had loved from childhood, seen in her father's art books at home.

Fo
More about Barbara Helen Berger...